• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

somebody on reddit just found this, a portal?:

xd6PJ8nh.jpg

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT..._this_possibly_a_portal_nothing_to_do_at_the/
I found one yesterday as well.

Couldn't figure out what to do with it, and going to be disappointed when someone finds out what it does because I doubt I'll be able to find the one I found again.

joesmokey

I made it 138k light years away toward the end of last night. Getting a little exhausted with the constant jumping, especially since you have to save each time due to crashing.

I think the worst thing is that getting fuel for Warp Cells is trivial, so you're basically continuously jumping in the hopes of getting closer. When you max out your relationships and have found most of the blue prints, there isn't much left to do.

My angry 8:30 AM thoughts on the bullshit Atlas Quest. Just getting this off my chest before I find a better game to play!!

Yup...thats IT.
I "completed" this last night and couldnt believe you get NOTHING.
Woke up this morning and deleted the game and my save file!
Never want to think about this piece of shit again.

-EDIT-
Watched this video to make sure I wasn't alone..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ET_0pX11_Q

Personally..I loved No Mans Sky all the way up to the point I went through that Atlas Stone Black Hole and nothing happened. I have (now had) a 48 slot suit, 6 million bucks and a 35 slot ship. I was good..I was playing..and to see that all those hours working towards something offer ZERO reward is a kick in the dick. At least give me a fucking meaningless trophy.

ANYONE ASSUMING THE ATLAS PATH ENDS WITH YOU WAKING UP IN A NEW (Not Euclid) GALAXY SHOULD TAKE A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO THE GAME.

I love that this will be the defense..playing for the ending. It's a quest line and if it did what it literally SAYS it will do..which is create a new star and wake up in a new galaxy I would just keep on going. I don't care about a cutscene or a plot twist just something for putting in the work. I mean..the first fucking thing the game does is say HEY DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THE ATLAS PATH. Well don't. Thats my advice.

And again..I had mad fun in the 30 hours I played.

CappyHamper

Neo Member
Well at the end of dark tower
Roland wakes up and has an item he didn't have the last time. What that item is I don't remember because I was so angry that was how 3 summers worth of reading ended I threw the book through a window (True Story) So we start over with everything?
I'm just curious exactly what carries over. Some people say nothing. Others say everything but it's broken and needs to be repaired. Just trying to get a straight answer before my journey begins in 9 minutes!

I believe that was
his horn
I was fine with it myself.

I doubt that is what they do anymore... Because, how would you get a ship on the other end?

Theoretically, you'd find a crashed ship (or one another person left behind) and repair it. They'd need to make sure to have enough materials in range to do so.

So the center just... starts you over again? Am I understanding this correct?

Lol what the fuck.

You managed to avoid spoilers this long?

MattyG

Banned
You managed to avoid spoilers this long?
Apparently. I mean, I had heard hints about it being that, but I was like "nah. No way it's that stupid. There's gotta be something cool." I was so, so, so very wrong.

Fuck, I am so disappointed with this game. I really thought that even though it was kind of boring and devoid of varied content, that hey, maybe the center has something cool that will redeem it.

I posted this in the OT with no luck. Hoping someone here can help me figure out what is going on:

Okay, I think I'm deep into the game but feel like I must have missed something. Spoilers below, can someone who has finished the game tell me if I screwed up?

I went down the Atlus path, and collected the 10 shards. After that, I went to another atlus station and turned in the 10 shards. It indicated my mission was complete, but nothing happened. I left there, and shortly later came across a black hole (first one I had seen in the game since I focused on the Atuls path). I went through it, and I'm guessing it put me closer to the center. I've now passed probably 50 systems with no end in sight. So... does this thing just keep going and going after you turn in the 10 shards? Did I mess up by going in that black hole? Anyone come across this and know if I'm just supposed to pass another 100 systems or something?

The game keeps crashing on me every 5 warps or so, so I'm calling it quits for now. I just have no clue if the end is in sight or if will just keep going like this for another 20 hours. I like the game, but I might be done.

Edit: Just looked up some YouTube videos... sounds like I'm no where close to the end. I think I'm done.

Okay, I think I'm deep into the game but feel like I must have missed something. Spoilers below, can someone who has finished the game tell me if I screwed up?

I went down the Atlus path, and collected the 10 shards. After that, I went to another atlus station and turned in the 10 shards. It indicated my mission was complete, but nothing happened. I left there, and shortly later came across a black hole (first one I had seen in the game since I focused on the Atuls path). I went through it, and I'm guessing it put me closer to the center. I've now passed probably 50 systems with no end in sight. So... does this thing just keep going and going after you turn in the 10 shards? Did I mess up by going in that black hole? Anyone come across this and know if I'm just supposed to pass another 100 systems or something?

The game keeps crashing on me every 5 warps or so, so I'm calling it quits for now. I just have no clue if the end is in sight or if will just keep going like this for another 20 hours. I like the game, but I might be done.

Edit: Just looked up some YouTube videos... sounds like I'm no where close to the end. I think I'm done.
I haven't beaten the game myself, but I believe you simply keep moving toward the center of the galaxy in order to see the result of relinquishing the ten Atlas stones. When it comes to the black holes, most advice articles seem to encourage using them as part of the Atlas story for fast-travel purposes so I think you're fine. I've been experiencing random crashes which, strangely, occur either during the opening load screen or directly after a regular hyper-drive warp. Commenting on the stones admittedly ties with the whole ending, but I'm under the impression that reaching the middle triggers
a "New Game+" scenario where your character spawns in a new, preceding galaxy with your previous load-out brought over in a broken state. The fruit of your labor with the Atlas stones apparently gives birth to a "new star" or spawning start point for a beginning player in the old star system which, sadly, you never get to see visualized or indicated in any fashion.

Klyka

Banned
So, did i just waste my time following the directions of a red sphere for a good 20 hours?

Tell me i accomplished something.

According to the game,you "birthed a new star system that a player will spawn on".
But you have no way to verify this, ever.
So, if you believe the game then....yay?

So has anyone continued traveling through multiple galaxies, or are people mainly stopping at the center of the first?

I'm currently in galaxy #3 went Euclid>Hilbert>Calypso.

Got lucky with my first black hole ending two jumps from center.

Wouldn't it be great if the Atlas stone creation thing actually was just flavor and didn't add a star anywhere?

Like wtf? Is the Galaxy different? Are there new races? New factions? New weapons? New ships? New anything?

NOPE LOL

For what it's worth, all the new galaxies I've started in have started me on a planet with lots of rare resources and lots of fauna. But that can easily happen to anyone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
4 better ways the game could have ended if they'd put effort in rather than go for shit tier "really makes you think!" trolling:

- The centre of the universe is a system of planets with corresponding Gek/Vykeen/Korvax cities. Actually semi designed planets with humanoids wandering around and feeling like less of a universe of primitive shit. Gimme a Coruscant situation of busier than big empty space stations. This would involve actually making the centre a thing and not going "ha ha, there is no centre, back you go MAXIMUM LOL FORCE"

- The Atlas questline gives you access to creating a system or planet by giving you some input access to the algorithm. What colour the solar systems backdrop is, what race occupies it, grassy planets, that sorta thing. Not the whole hog, but something more interactive than a text adventure "something happened somewhere you can never prove otherwise" fuck off message.

- Some kind of boss fight with the Atlas if you go against it? Theres no escalation beyond pissing off the Sentinels. Could be a situation where you fly around an Atlas station blowing up shield generators with Nada and Polo as wingmen? You know, like the AI Ship squadron stuff from the trailers.

- Brokering a peace between the 3 factions as a third plotline. Some kind of galactic treaty after shit has got out of hand between the Gek and Vy'keen? Just seeing the 3 races in the same room would be a moment of "oh the game could do this".

As it is this is an Early Access game where the creators just tied up the ending with the easiest out rather than actually develop content. "Let the algorithm do it" is not inspirational.

Protome

I feel like something which was meant to happen didn't happen at the end of the Atlas path for me?
I used 10 Atlas Stones to birth a new star. It told me that, then that was it. So I got in my ship and left, got a new waypoint to a blackhole...is that it? Do I need to go to the center now?

Apparently the Gek
are like space nazis at least that's what I got the feeling from reading a couple of the monoliths and learning like 26 words of their language

Protome

Apparently the Gek
are like space nazis at least that's what I got the feeling from reading a couple of the monoliths and learning like 26 words of their language

As you read more of the monoliths it starts to sound like the old Gek were like that and the current Gek are barely even related and looked down upon by the originals.

So the center just... starts you over again? Am I understanding this correct?

Lol what the fuck.
Yeah, the most frustrating thing about this is not only is there nothing at the center of the galaxy (not even an ordinary planet or anything--when you try to go to it, you're just launched to a different galaxy). It's that if you try to go there, and get sent to another galaxy, it completely damages all your upgrades on your ship, your suit, and your multi-tool through and through. Like... what's the point of that? To just reset everything, ala a New Game+ mode?

Because while a NG+ mode for this type of game indeed has the potential to be very cool and interesting, with the particular way they handled it in NMS even in that event that doesn't make sense since 1.) That's the type of shit you should warn people about and give them some sort of indication instead of just wrecking everything in what's supposed to be a really "hype" and exciting moment, since that's how NG+ usually works as a basic fucking courtesy to the player and 2.) It's not a true start-from-scratch thing anyway as you keep your actual ship, suit, and multitool, so if you have the resources, you can fix everything no problem... it's just that everything's broken anyway for no real discernible reason other than a "fuck you" to the player to force them to waste type repairing that stuff for no real reason since selecting "Galaxy Center" shouldn't do the exact opposite of taking you to the Galactic Center to begin with.

Like, if it were a true NG+ experience each time you started a new galaxy, with a new ship and everything, that would be one thing... but this half-measure where they don't actually start you over, but completely wreck everything each type you go to a new galaxy anyway just makes no sense and seems to be trying to have it both ways (have a NG+ mode while not having people upset that they actually, really, truly lose anything of value like they're ship when that happens) but in effect pleasing no one (those who would like a NG+ experience/those who would like to continue right where they left off from the last galaxy without their stuff being wrecked) and seems to have no reason or benefit to it whatsoever.

Based on the Atlas Path and the dialogue there about your character increasingly doubting the idea of following a pre-defined path instead of just doing whatever you want to do, whatever that may be, I suppose that's supposed to be the same type of meta-commentary about going to the center of the galaxy being just one more type of "following a pre-defined path", instead of "thinking for yourself, going where you want, and making your own decisions," but even if that is how the developers feel and the message they want to send I'm not sure this was the best way to handle it, especially with all the hype that went into what exactly was at the center. It just comes off feeling gross and like a big "fuck you" to the people they were trying to hype and get excited on their own game, and while that may not be the intent, it just feels like it all could have been handled much, much better than it was somehow. I'm not sure how exactly, but this just definitely doesn't feel like the right way at all. I dunno how, but this... this just definitely wasn't it.

EDIT: And if this really was just some meta-commentary over the futility of following paths laid out before you at the player's expense, it's particularly frustrating since this game does a very good job of just making exploring for exploration's sake as tedious and as frustrating as possible with the constant need to mine and gather resources for stuff like the hand full of different types of fuel for your ship, instead of just having a pure exploration mode like games like Minecraft and Subnautica have where you don't need to worry about the mining or resource systems at all if you don't want to and can truly just go where you want at your leisure. It doesn't really even "make me think" since it kind of undermines it's own message when they made the decision to make the type of gameplay they would prefer we engage it as frustrating as possible, especially in the early game. I just... don't get it.

How does one actually get to the center? Because i have been hopping through the black hole "shortcuts" for quite some time now and i don't seem to be getting closer.

Are the black hole jumps complete bs? Tells me I just jumped 90,000 light years, but when I open up the map to compare the distance to the core from my previous location it's only 2,000 light years closer.

Yes and no. I think the number is supposed to be accurate.... The catch is that it never specifies what direction the black hole is sending you. So like, if it says it sends you 1 million light years away or whatever, that might technically be true but it's sending you only like 5,000 light years in the direction of the center while the rest of that distance is just to the left or to the right of where you started. So like 95k to the left, 5k actually toward the center if says you traveled 100k with one.

But whether that is the case or not or it just makes up the numbers, they're definitely not useful so I'm not sure why they decided to set them up the way they did.

Cmagus

I'm curious to see if there is an actual center after clearing several galaxies. I wonder if it's possible to give yourself infinite warp cells on the PC to just jump and find out.

Aceofspades

Banned
I walked away from Atlas path quest (had 9 stones)

Went through a black hole...checked my progress . . . yup still 17689 light years away

Notice: started the game at ~17800 light years and after 5 black holes shortcuts, completed Atlas quest and 40 warps I still barely moved toward the center...is my game bugged? Anyway, not touching this piece of shit game anymore.

Klyka

Banned
I walked away from Atlas path quest (had 9 stones)

Went through a black hole...checked my progress . . . yup still 17689 light years away

Notice: started the game at ~17800 light years and after 5 black holes shortcuts, completed Atlas quest and 40 warps I still barely moved toward the center...is my game bugged? Anyway, not touching this piece of shit game anymore.

actually you start at 178000 ly away :)
you forgot a 0.

I noticed that black holes barely help. The best way to get to the center is to get max warpdrive and then warp 1700 ly per warp over and over till you are there.

Wok

actually you start at 178000 ly away :)
you forgot a 0.

I noticed that black holes barely help. The best way to get to the center is to get max warpdrive and then warp 1700 ly per warp over and over till you are there.

Maxing warpdrives also allows to warp to blue stars and stuff, so you get more cool places to visit on the way to the center.

Now that I have finished the Atlas path, I have noticed Nada only suggests to help regarding the galaxy centre (indicate nearest black hole) or the free-travel quests (give recipe). Is there any point of rushing to go to the second galaxy though? I might as well go slowly towards the centre and explore, it would not change much.

Except for the lore and 4th wall break, I don't see much advantage gained by completing the Atlas quest : more alien words thanks to the white lights, but that is it. People were talking about black-holes being indicated on the galaxy map, but it is only one at a time, and it can be more than a million light years away. The really good thing about completing the quest is that you free 10 slots of your inventory!

I'm curious to see if there is an actual center after clearing several galaxies. I wonder if it's possible to give yourself infinite warp cells on the PC to just jump and find out.
My hunch is no and that part of the game is basically some kind of a psychological experiment to see how long people keep looking for some final, definitive center/end until they give up and that starts to sink in. I'd love to be wrong about that, but when you look at what happens when you reach the center of an individual galaxy and combine it with the lore text from the Atlas path, I just can't see there being an actual center/end at all because that seems to be at complete odds with all of that stuff and would seem out of place.

Wok

The game is about red herrings:
- Atlas Quest with that big red sphere, and the accompanying lore text,
- Travel to the Center of the Galaxy, which sends you to another Galaxy to start again (Sisyphe).

You remember these stone balls that you find near some alien monolithes?

eVrhpF6.jpg

Yep.

Wok

Did the data mine reveal how many Galaxy names exist?

I read 5 and then random names.

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Galaxy

The color of the galaxy centres changes as well:

Calypso Galaxy is a galaxy in the No Man's Sky universe. It appears that most, if not all, players start here after reaching the center of the Hilbert Dimension are woken up with a crashed ship in this one. One of the biggest difference is that the galactic core appears to be purple, in contrast to the red of Hilbert Dimension and the white of Euclid Galaxy.

Quoting for new page:

The game is about red herrings:
- Atlas Quest with that big red sphere, and the accompanying lore text,
- Travel to the Center of the Galaxy, which sends you to another Galaxy to start again (Sisyphe).

You remember these stone balls that you find near some alien monolithes?

eVrhpF6.jpg

Yep.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thing I wonder: if you get random galaxy names after the first five, do players get sent to random galaxies on the sixth time and beyond? Or is everyone in the same galaxy, with just a random name from their perspective.

nynt9

One thing I wonder: if you get random galaxy names after the first five, do players get sent to random galaxies on the sixth time and beyond? Or is everyone in the same galaxy, with just a random name from their perspective.

It makes sense that they all go to the Galaxy with the same name, but the name is just procedurally generated from the number of the Galaxy.

Top Bottom