• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No mention of PSVR2 in Sony’s latest financial report?

Robb

Gold Member
sweep-it-under-the-rug-bart-simpson.gif

skit_data

At this point I think it's safe to say PSVR2 hasn't really been the hit they wanted it to be. Bad timing, lacking first party support and a bad rep when it comes to the price (which I'd say is somewhat undeserved, it's high relative to the console but still pretty damn good for the tech IMO). I also think it was a mistake to not make it PC compatible, even if that might have increased the price to offset not locking the customer down to one storefront.

My totally unbased speculation is that their initial plans involved VR support for the Zenimax exclusives and possibly even Starfield but since that was taken off the table it severely knee capped the whole project.

I'll pick one up second hand at some point for GT7 but outside of that I haven't really seen anything to convince me to put down the money for it.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm just waiting for a price cut to get it. I don't care for Sony 1st party games anymore, I'm more than ok with 3rd parties and quest ports carrying it.

Celine

Sony: "Uh, what's a PSVR2?"

If you look at the previously disclosed comparison between PSVR1 and PSVR2 which covered just the first month and half since launch, PSVR2 was slightly above in total sales (still a pitiful amount) but trending slower than the predecessor:

psvr2.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
NZ5RCNF.jpg

Not from their latest report, but they did report it shortly after release.

FEMBb01VcAI-cGr.png

I imagine they were heavily front loaded by early adopters and slowed but I still think it will be outperforming PSVR1

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really wanted to buy this but don't have a PC. I can't be laying out a grand to get a PS5 and headset for a PSVR2 experience when there is so little in the way of fantastic first party titles and third party support. I'll stick to my Quest 3 for now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
For the past two quarters they've stopped reporting PS+ figures too. Will you make a thread about that as well? 🤔 I'm wondering as I have just the 'perfect' push square article that you can post here on GAF.

Thanks for the reminder. I will make a thread in the future

Boss Mog

It should've been bundled with a free Remastered version of Astro Bot at launch with an announcement of Astro Bot 2. Then I might've bought one. It's baffling that they launched it with so little support, even less than the Vita.

While I certainly would have liked to see it find success, the probable failure can't surprise anyone.

Anyone with interest in VR probably had PS VR1 or some Meta device to test the waters, knew this time what tech and improvements they get. Everyone else might still be interested at varying levels but won't buy until the games support picks up. Might be part of the GaaS push later, but their SP cinematics games seem not to do VR-too at all, and I won't hold my breath for that either.

Considering that Switch and also Steamdeck found success, making a PS4P right at the start of the PS5 launch, until cross gen lasts, and possibly a PS5P with some 540-720p-XSS specs soon, would make more sense than half ass trying to bring VR to life.

No PC support
Not enough real blockbusters beside several hardly bad Indie like games.
Capcom seems to do more for it than Sony themselves (and as mentioned above Bethesda probably would have too)
No HL Alyx
Not even a proper partnership between Sony and Meta

The price seems like they knew it won't be mass market anytime soon, and they said: f.. it, we better make at least some buck from all enthusiast sales.

MDSLKTR

They recently mentioned it's not the core offering this season 🤷‍♂️

Capcom basically carrying the thing.
Wtf is London studio doing? Blood and truth was 2019, Farpoint devs are mia and they can't even port hitman and borderlands over?

Im actually considering buying psvr2 just for gt7 lol
If you have the money it's sigle handedly worth it like Wipeout was for psvr1.

Ar¢tos

While I certainly would have liked to see it find success, the probable failure can't surprise anyone.

Anyone with interest in VR probably had PS VR1 or some Meta device to test the waters, knew this time what tech and improvements they get. Everyone else might still be interested at varying levels but won't buy until the games support picks up. Might be part of the GaaS push later, but their SP cinematics games seem not to do VR-too at all, and I won't hold my breath for that either.

Considering that Switch and also Steamdeck found success, making a PS4P right at the start of the PS5 launch, until cross gen lasts, and possibly a PS5P with some 540-720p-XSS specs soon, would make more sense than half ass trying to bring VR to life.

No PC support
Not enough real blockbusters beside several hardly bad Indie like games.
Capcom seems to do more for it than Sony themselves (and as mentioned above Bethesda probably would have too)
No HL Alyx
Not even a proper partnership between Sony and Meta

The price seems like they knew it won't be mass market anytime soon, and they said: f.. it, we better make at least some buck from all enthusiast sales.
You think Capcom decided to support psvr2 on their own, without any incentive and support from Sony?

Top Bottom