• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will Sony announce their next 1st party VR game for PSVR2?

Aces High

So your coolwith 15 of them and no other single player 1st party games? Cool..
4NU57da.jpg

midnightAI

I
It was already announced, wasn't it?
Don't think we know about any game that hasnt been announced yet, maybe because it hasnt been announced yet, not sure, but I think that's why

(Sorry being pedantic, but in answer to the OP, it's rare Sony does game announcements outside of a showcase, I'm still hoping for one in December, we need another December PSX)

Last edited:

vivftp

It would make the most sense to expect the next first party VR title to be announced at the next Showcase. That is typically when Sony debuts new first party content. It is within the realm of possibility that something could be shown at TGA, but the next Showcase is the safer bet. My money would be on a new Astro game that's a hybrid that can be played both in VR and on the TV. Firesprite and Insomniac would also be likely candidates to have something VR in the works. Then there's any number of potential XDEV collaborations that could lead to a VR title. Beyond that, it's always possible that some of the other first party titles might also be hybrid.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Isn't there supposed to be a massive, megaton laced Showcase in December?

If so, it'll be then.

PanzerCute

When will they announce any new 1st party games that aren't GAAS?
Here is the answer. What the hell is Sony doing is beyond human comprehension at this point.

Ryan recently said they have projects cooking and that they were counting on PSVR2 in the middle term.

And if you get into the details of the hardware launch and everything that surrounded it, you will notice that basically everything was late or rushed: final hardware specs, eye tracking technology, dev kits etc.. everything was insanely late.

I keep my expectations in check, but some big games will come, and they will also port all the PSVR1 goodness I'm sure.

And in the meantime you have a shit ton of great indy / AA games to play and a few very impressive AAA.

My confidence in Sony releasing anything worth while on this device is at an all time low, user engagement seems to be lower than ever too from my experience on a few games. I hopped on last night and had a quick go at Firewall Ultra. Hardly anyone seems to be playing and nobody was playing Alvo, I only got a bot match. I'm sure the crossplay games are much better but it's annoying nonetheless.

I'll keep the headset for now as I want to play RE4 on it. After that though I'll see how things pan out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
At the moment, I'm not entirely convinced that this generation of PSVR won't end up like the last one, with Sony quietly not doing anything about first party development for triple-A VR games.

The only hope is that we're gonna get more ports from other platforms as well as more triple-A games from third party devs, on par with stuff like Resident Evil 4 and 8, or Synapse. At least nowadays the overall VR market has some quality games to offer and it's not just some shovelware tech demos that filled the majority of PSVR1 library. All they'd have to do is to port their games over to PS5. Half-Life Alyx aside, I would love to see a port of Lone Echo, official VR port of Alien Isolation, Hitman, Star Wars Squadrons, Subnautica, etc. etc. There are also some PSVR1 games that are still trapped on that obsolete hardware that I'd love to play.

I'd rather have fewer games that are real bangers than to have a huge library that's filled with junk.

I still think Sony should make a Spider-Man VR game. And if someone like Insomniac makes this, it can be amazing without the nausea.

But if they can't fix it, then yes, there's no point in making a game that makes you feel like this.
Insomniac should definitely make a Spiderman VR game because it just begs to be made.

For me the worst thing about the video I posted was the unneccesary head wobbling.

Markio128

I never really expected the PSVR2 to get much 1st-party support, only because the majority of their studios are busy with other stuff.

Saying that, I really think Sony should consider either acquiring a couple of the better VR devs out there, to either work on new VR IPs, or add VR to some legacy Sony games, like Resistance, Killzone, etc., or at least throw some dough at a 3rd party dev to create an exclusive VR game.

Vertical Robot would be a solid suggestion - given some decent resources, I’m certain they could deliver AAA VR games.

Last edited:
Now all we know is a release date of Helldiver 2 and nothing beyond that was shown in real detail so far? Hyping way too early was never ideal, but the current rather short notice releases feel also not quite right, when it always feels like just one drop after another and never like a constant proper flow.

Helldiver is a game that imho could have stayed in isometric and work in VR that way and equally could work as an optional FPS game which would make VR more easy. But Sony's fetish with over the shoulder and not including VR modes seems very weird and dumb, as though they are boycotting VR2 themselves.

VR1 was kinda what it needed to be. But VR2 appears more and more like a joke with no plan at all, not really picking up where Quest2 left off, but an unnecessary unwanted side hustle.

KWAB

Banned
It's like they know VR is just a big waste of time but they still went ahead with it. When the first one only sold 5 millions I don't know how you can justify making another one. Maybe you can if you have some crazy revolutionary idea but this isn't the case.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yep it's been a while, have they even announced some big singleplayer game since Wolverine? Also their calendar for next year is currently rather empty.

There are various GAAS that I am looking forward to play. Maybe some of them will be VR

Perrott

Gold Member
Probably when Team Asobi unveils the new Astro-Bot game, which would most likely be an hybrid PS5/VR2 game.

After that there's Twisted Metal, which is being developed for PS5/VR2/PC, but may take a while.

I honestly don't know what else to expect in terms of first-party support.

Three

I still think Sony should make a Spider-Man VR game. And if someone like Insomniac makes this, it can be amazing without the nausea.

But if they can't fix it, then yes, there's no point in making a game that makes you feel like this.
They tested the waters and gauged interest in the PS4 era already. It was a free game

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PSVR2 has been a bit of a disaster. Mine‘s sat gathering dust until RE 4 remake, and will probably sit gathering dust again after I’m done with it.

What about when Half Life Alyx releases for PSVR2?

Lunarorbit

The lack of 1st party support is insane. Certainly the lowest I've seen of any ps product. It's extremely disappointing for me as I refuse to invest in this device until I see them give a crap about it.

Reallink

Lots of jokes about it in here, but all of Sony's "B Teams" really are making (or acting as support studios for) their GaaS initiative.

Sony's support for the VR2 is utter sh8t , worse than SEGA Japan's support for the Mega CD.
Always said Sony VR was SONY's very own Mega CD

Just pay Vavle to get Half-Life VR on the system SONY and most will be happy

Top Bottom