• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more hardware NPD data for the public

TJ Spyke

driley said:
Yes, that is correct. HW, SW and ACC. co's cannot release sales #s for any other co. I'm not sure I understand what SC was saying (missed that post). Clients can comment on other's sales performance as long as they're not referencing NPD data. Again, this isn't anything new.

Will NPD say anything if full numbers start getting posted again? A now banned user used to post full numbers like this (from October 2005, please remove if this isn't OK mods):

Atlus $1,699,415 49495
GBA DEMI KIDS:LIGHT VERSN $352 14
GBA DEMI-KIDS: DARK VERSN $471 31
GBA DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCE $457 15
GBA KING OF FIGHTERS EX 2 $779 31
GBA LUFIA: RUINS OF LORE $557 24
GBA RIVER CITY RANSOM EX $3,919 210
GBA RIVIERA: THE PROMISED LAND $101,758 3393
GBA SHINING FORCE: DRAGON $5,553 225
GBA SHINING SOUL $351 12
GBA SHINING SOUL II $2,242 105
GBA SUPER ARMY WAR $11,835 1148
GBA SUPER DODGE BALL $585 49
GBA TACTICS OGRE: LODIS $533 64
GCN CUBIVORE $198 10
GCN GO! GO! HYPERGRIND $1,567 65
NDS PUYO POP FEVER $24,208 1128
NDS TRAUMA CENTER: UNDER KNIFE $678,848 22959
PS HOSHIGAMI: BLUE EARTH $149 5
PS TAIL CONCERTO $128 14
PS TRAP GUNNER $392 140
PS2 CHORO Q $1,962 250
PS2 DISGAEA:HOUR DARKNESS $7,033 145
PS2 DUAL HEARTS $1,513 33
PS2 HARD HITTER TENNIS $2,860 397
PS2 PHANTOM BRAVE $20,190 1009
PS2 PHANTOM BRAVE LTD ED $2,087 98
PS2 SAMURAI WESTERN $39,736 1291
PS2 SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL $92,227 1962
PS2 SHIN MEGAMI: DIGITAL SAGA 2 $647,265 13005
PS2 SHIN MEGAMI: NOCTURNE $14,365 326
PS2 SKY GUNNER $1,248 41
PS2 STELLA DEUS: ETERNITY $22,879 459
PS2 TSUGUNAI: ATONEMENT $1,039 26
PS2 WIZARDRY: FORSAKEN $114 3
XBX GALLEON $7,249 667
XBX PRO FISHING CHALLENGE $2,390 111

theguy

Sharp said:
In that case, not really, titiklabingapat. Not unless every company decides to be gracious enough to release the actual hardware numbers, which I'm not sure anyone but Nintendo is going to be consistently willing to do. No company can comment on any hardware or software sales but their own, and we're only getting the top five software each month, as well as up to 10 that GAF requests (do we still get the top five per platform, by the way, driley?), and nothing else. We can still have NPD threads, but they'll be, um, attenuated.

gaf will continue to receive the top selling titles per platform, the Top 10, etc. Only hw is changing.

Sharp

driley said:
gaf will continue to receive the top selling titles per platform, the Top 10, etc. Only hw is changing.
Oh, really? That's not bad at all, then, as long as the companies cooperate (which they, uh, might). We were under the impression that we were now receiving only top 5.

Sharp said:
In that case, not really, titiklabingapat. Not unless every company decides to be gracious enough to release the actual hardware numbers, which I'm not sure anyone but Nintendo is going to be consistently willing to do. No company can comment on any hardware or software sales but their own, and we're only getting the top five software each month, as well as up to 10 that GAF requests (do we still get the top five per platform, by the way, driley?), and nothing else. We can still have NPD threads, but they'll be, um, attenuated.
my problem is that driley is presenting it as if nothing's changed when everything did. hw is a big part of those monthly threads.

Nothing personal to you driley, im sure you had no hand in this policy change and you're just doing your job but it still sucks.

Tabris

You guys should all be relieved.

I was looking forward to owning a lot of you when November's NPD hardware sales would have been shown with the PS3 outselling the Wii and 360.

Tabris said:

I was looking forward to owning a lot of you when November's NPD hardware sales would have been shown with the PS3 outselling the Wii and 360.
if you're serious, not a chance. the $399 40gb relatively bombed on Amazon.com.

Sharp

Tabris said:

:lol

Watch, people are going to take you seriously.

Tabris said:

It's funnier when you don't admit you're a joke.

Tabris

I'm serious. Ignore my avatar, an admin forced it and I can't change back to my old one.

Well don't ignore the fact that the tide is turning, and it did start in Japan on that day (DS and Wii sales down, PSP sales up and PS3 to follow in NPD) and that my victory is coming.

RBH

charlequin said:
So... driley.

Are the quarterly press releases going to break down that quarter's sales into monthly data or lump it all together in one number? If it's the former (and we still get top 10 software) this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

I'm wondering about this as well.

In any case, I'm just happy that we're still getting the Top 10 for the SW.

Tabris said:

:lol You are so dumb dude. There is no way that would have happened ever in history. You would have eaten so much crow that you would become as fat as Crushed is.

Xisiqomelir

Thanks for posting driley. I still don't feel good about having the companies able to hide their hw sales (particularly the HD platform holders), but it's nice of you to respond and communicate openly with us.

super funk said:
:lol You are so dumb dude. There is no way that would have happened ever in history. You would have eaten so much crow that you would become as fat as Crushed is.

:lol Fat Crushed is my favorite new meme of the day.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jonnyram said:
Why hasn't vg chartz been shut down yet?
Everyone knows what they're doing... is it just a matter of having the right evidence, or are they "changing" the figures enough that it is actually legal?

Because suing them would end up costing more money than the site giving out their fake numbers to a couple of fan boys

RBH said:
I'm wondering about this as well.

In any case, I'm just happy that we're still getting the Top 10 for the SW.
Obviously I'm not driley, but if the big thing is that they're letting the individual companies decide what to do with their own data, why would quarterly data be any different? I know that was in the info at the beginning of the thread, but I'm not sure it fits anymroe.

TJ Spyke

grandjedi6 said:
Because suing them would end up costing more money than the site giving out their fake numbers to a couple of fan boys

The problem is that some legit news sites sometimes use these numbers. Even Codemasters cited those BS numbers when they reported sales of DiRT.

J-Rzez

titiklabingapat said:
if you're serious, not a chance. the $399 40gb relatively bombed on Amazon.com.

So now we're going to have AMAZON.COM'S TOP SELLER threads instead? Since they're a tell-tale of the real market?

Someone please tell me which machines I'm allowed to enjoy now though! Oh my God, the wall's, they're closing in... There's a light... It feels warm, but it's just out of reach... Should I head to the light?!?!

Guybrush Threepwood said:
This is the blessing in disguise of the year.
Yes, we should be thankful all that scary truth is being kept from us. Now we can all go back to sipping tea and discussing the finer points of games, free of the monocle-popping that has plagued us of late.

J-Rzez, you already used that exact same joke earlier, and it was about as funny the first time as a puppy's head being stomped. I know there's a writer's guild strike and all, but just run a clipshow if that's all you've got.

Grecco

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, we should be thankful all that scary truth is being kept from us. Now we can all go back to sipping tea and discussing the finer points of games, free of the monocle-popping that has plagued us of late.

Damnit Segata. You read my mind with that monocle thing. :lol

RBH

Segata Sanshiro said:
J-Rzez, you already used that exact same joke earlier, and it was about as funny the first time as a puppy's head being stomped. I know there's a writer's guild strike and all, but just run a clipshow if that's all you've got.

:lol :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Segata Sanshiro said:

Yes, I look forward to the life-changing dissertation that Tabris will write about the dynamics of the peruvian economy with respect to the elasticity of the Japanese gaming market. It is these works that we are missing due to the NPD sales. Since this major event occurred I expect thesis papers on every single thread with each post certified by a PhD in Psychology, History, Astrology and Phrenology.

Segata Sanshiro said:

SegataVictory.gif

Segata Sanshiro said:

i give this response the DRINKY CROW BACKHAND OF THE MONTH award, right here

Segata Sanshiro said:

What happened to the happy go lucky Segata that used to simply throw people and explode them? This one seems much more agitated. Makes me scared.

tanod

when is my burrito
eXxy said:
There is no conspiracy, unfortunately, as I'm told the way N'Gai even found out about this nugget of information was an accident in and of itself -- NPD seems woefully ignorant of the way the industry has responded to the release of these numbers, I'm afraid, and when the holiday season passes and numbers are in better shape, maybe we'll see something again. To the same extent as to what we've received over the past year? Probably not.

If the reaction is unexpected, I'm guessing they will also be surprised by the amount of revenue this move is going to generate for them.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Drinky's overuse of adjectives is so damn annoying. He probably believes it makes him sound intimidating and intelligent when it really makes him sound like one of those egotistical pack nerds that goes around condescendingly parading his perfect score on the english section of the SAT like anyone gives a shit. Why stick around GAF when you can go find a forum that will appreciate your awe-inspiring use of the english language like an amalgamation of crummy shakespearean writers?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Drinky Crow said:
this news is goty

:lol

Segata Sanshiro said:

:lol :lol

This thread just took a turn for the awesome.

awwwwwwwwww

also i got a perfect score on the math section, if that helps

aaaaaand why would i go somewhere where i would be mediocre instead of awesome in comparison

don't let's meta

Sharp

Why do people feel like they have to use big words when Drinky Crow's around?

Also he still hasn't explained Super Mario Galaxy's mediocrity.

Sharp said:
Why do people feel like they have to use big words when Drinky Crow's around?

Also he still hasn't explained Super Mario Galaxy's mediocrity.

i always figured folks wouldn't follow my example. after all, churchill would have hated me.

i am saving the super mario galaxy examination for a later surprise. this thread would only squander it.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Drinky Crow said:
awwwwwwwwww

also i got a perfect score on the math section, if that helps

aaaaaand why would i go somewhere where i would be mediocre instead of awesome in comparison

don't let's meta
I swear you just read my mind. I give you the psychic backhand hand of the month award. Makes sense to me.

Sharp

Drinky Crow said:
i always figured folks wouldn't follow my example. after all, churchill would have hated me.

i am saving the super mario galaxy examination for a later surprise. this thread would only squander it.
Oh, okay. I'll wait, then. If all good things don't come to me I'm going to be pretty pissed though.

I think it's disappointing news. The industry should really be able to have standard weekly and monthly sales data publicly available, just like it is for box office and music charts.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:

Drinky, you aren't going to make me sad, are you? Between the putrid squeals of Team Sony on the one side of this thread and the self-satisfied "gaming purists" on the other, I'm not sure I can take a smug elbow-nudging about Super Mario Galaxy.

(...returns to Super Mario Bros. 3.)

Grecco

Drinky Crow said:

Dont you have a quirky puzzle game or some srpg nobody cares about to champion?

mugwhump

Wait, what does vgcharrreawoeaenfkz do, anyway? I remember ioi talking about it before he was banned.

Do they really just fudge npd figures? Couldn't he get in big trouble for that? :0
I thought he said he got numbers from, like, 100 stores... or is that just bs to cover his npd theft?

eclipze

mugwhump said:
Wait, what does vgcharrreawoeaenfkz do, anyway? I remember ioi talking about it before he was banned.

Do they really just fudge npd figures? Couldn't he get in big trouble for that? :0
I thought he said he got numbers from, like, 100 stores... or is that just bs to cover his npd theft?

He fudged not only NPD's numbers but also Famitsu's. For Europe I believe he polls a few stores in Kazakhstan and goes from there.

Top Bottom