• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA: 50% more Wiis to retail Oct-Dec than 2007, still unlikely to meet demand

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
fistfulofmetal said:
It's also easier to fuck up when you're in the lead. You make dumb choices and stupid mistakes. Hell, they've already made one blunder (Wii Music). They're not infallible gods. Eventually they WILL fuck up.

That's a given, but the important thing here is not to go by the assumption that they will fail by the time they release their 2nd post-Wii system, just because the N64 and the PS3 "failed" (not saying you implied that, I don't remember what you said exactly).

That, and two more things: first, a failure is just a failure, so maybe they can be successful afterwards, and second, they're, in all likelihood, trying to have an environment in which they can come up with the next big thing. Not saying they will, but that's something new for Nintendo. From the get-go, they're supposedly thinking that the Wii and its values will eventually bore people (not this gen or next gen, if you ask me) and that they must come up with something new and appealing before someone else does. Their strategy implies trying to innovate in ways that don't seem to make sense at first. Just as the Wii didn't make sense as a console that's barely above last gen in terms of hardware and has a remote-shaped controller.

Will they succeed? I don't know. The point is that they're very much aware of themselves and the industry, something that was a bit lacking just a few years ago.

Sadist said:
Somebody should make a topic about how many times the Wii memes "collecting dust" and "has no games" are used on a daily basis. For kicks of course. Just sayin'.

How about, "There's very little on the Wii that appeals to me and I find very little reason to buy one despite how many Nintendo sells or how much money they make."

Better? There seems to be this mentality floating around that just because Nintendo makes a shitload of money and they sell a lot, that you're a fucking idiot if you don't like the Wii. Nintendo's having success, and that's great, but success and sales alone is not reason enough for me to buy one.

I'm a gamer, I want to like the Wii, but it's features and especially it's game library just don't appeal to me and many others. Some people here seem to have a hard time dealing with that fact and would just rather call immediate bias or start throwing system war bullshit across the table, but that's the honest truth.

Link

The Autumn Wind
oneHeero said:
triforcega.gif
Abominable01.jpg

See how retarded that is?

EDIT -
_leech_ said:
How about, "There's very little on the Wii that appeals to me and I find very little reason to buy one despite how many Nintendo sells or how much money they make."
When people feel the need to say it in ever Wii thread on the damn board? No thanks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And how exactly are they justifying continuing to charge full price in these economic times? All I wanna know. Pretty sure price gouging is reprehensible in some states too.

Nintendo killing gaming.
Casuals ruining the fun for everyone else.
No one recognizes the brilliance of HD gaming.
Every Wii must be collecting dust.

Did I miss any?

It's really funny how many people think their anecdotes about their neighbor's second cousin's Wiis are actually meaningful at all.

Iwata: (laughs)

fistfulofmetal said:
It's also easier to fuck up when you're in the lead. You make dumb choices and stupid mistakes. Hell, they've already made one blunder (Wii Music). They're not infallible gods. Eventually they WILL fuck up.

Despite wether its any good from a sales point of view wii music is far from a blunder its Japanese sales have stabilized, anecdotal evidence suggests its picked up a lot in the us, chart position has remained fairly consistent in the uk and some countries i believe its even topped the charts, its far too early to write it off and i'd be shocked if it wasn't a million seller by xmas

faceless007 said:
Nintendo killing gaming.
Casuals ruining the fun for everyone else.
No one recognizes the brilliance of HD gaming.
Every Wii must be collecting dust.

Did I miss any?
Yeah, the most important one:

Nintendo is constraining supply to create artificial demand! :lol

I think it's cute how people come into sales threads and try to undermine the Wii in any way they can. As if their own anecdotal stories will somehow make Wii's sales numbers smaller or their own consoles' bigger. A while ago, they were talking about software sales; later they talked about attach rates. Now they're just expressing sour grapes sentiments, once more to lessen the cognitive dissonance they feel.

You shouldn't pin your self-esteem on the performance of a product you bought, guys. Just because something you like isn't as popular as something else does not make what you like any less fun or fulfilling for you. To take some wisdom from that timeless classic film, Shallow Hal:

If you managed to get with Wonder Woman, but everyone else thought that she wasn't that attractive, why should you care? You're in love with a knock-out. You shouldn't care what anyone else sees!

_leech_ said:

Better? There seems to be this mentality floating around that just because Nintendo makes a shitload of money and they sell a lot, that you're a fucking idiot if you don't like the Wii. Nintendo's having success, and that's great, but success and sales alone is not reason enough for me to buy one.

I'm a gamer, I want to like the Wii, but it's features and especially it's game library just don't appeal to me and many others. Some people here seem to have a hard time dealing with that fact and would just rather call immediate bias or start throwing system war bullshit across the table, but that's the honest truth.
So... why can't you just avoid Wii-related threads? It's easy enough to do.

Sadist

_leech_ said:

Sure, you can have that opinion.

But don't you think it's slightly annoying that every time when in a Wii thread (sales/new game etc.) the same meme is being repeated over, and over, and over, and over again? Every time? It's pefectly fine if you don't like the Wii, if it doesn't appeal to you and if you don't understand why it sells. But to repeat it 128321810 times, that's just plain tiresome.

Now that's the truth. Or is this to much logic for GAF to handle?

Haunted

So I take it the odds of the Wii shattering industry records this year are pretty high?

_leech_ said:

*looks at thread title*

*looks at your sentence*

*looks at thread title again*

Well, there's the fucking problem.

Aside from the fact that you apparently think that the Wii trolls are the victims here, I mean. Those nasty Nintendo fans not taking kindly to people trolling the Wii in a pretty much unrelated sales-age thread, how dare they!

edit: also, I'm a firm believer in the three-generation rule, but it might be a tad early speculating on just what's going to happen in 2016, no? :p

I logged on for the DQX thread but this one is faaaar more entertaining :lol

I sort of brought this up in the "DQVIII sucks" thread that was (ironically) posted a few days ago but where exactly does this "I don't like something so clearly it sucks" mindset come from? Is it a cultural thing? Maybe generational?

When I don't like something and yet everyone else does I don't assume that they're all wrong. Face the facts people, the market has spoken and you're now members of the very vocal minority.

Sadist

fistfulofmetal said:
is it really a meme if the people are telling the truth?
It's their own truth. Not mine.

And even if it's the truth, even those things can turn into memes after a certain period of time.

Gaborn

Saint Gregory said:

I sort of brought this up in the "DQVIII sucks" thread that was (ironically) posted a few days ago but where exactly does this "I don't like something so clearly it sucks" mindset come from? Is it a cultural thing? Maybe generational?

When I don't like something and yet everyone else does I don't assume that they're all wrong. Face the facts people, the market has spoken and you're now members of the very vocal minority.

I think it's a byproduct of owning a competing product. It's easy to become attached and invested in something. Look at all the mac fans for example, or hell, the love for firefox. Both are great, Firefox especially is an amazing, amazing browser, yet people support them and denigrate the competition BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE PRODUCT THEY LIKE. It's worse when you have a lot of money tied up in a product, and probably even more pronounced in videogames where you're competing for developer support and exclusives. If your product of choice isn't doing well people tend to get defensive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Saint Gregory said:

You're assuming that there is some objective "right" and "wrong" about a game and a game's quality, and that is determined strictly by market success, which is a preposterous presumption. The only "objective" criterion about a game that can truly be expressed is in the form of a score, and no amount of sales can defeat that. Or do you also think that Backstreet Boys and Norbit are "great" just because "the market has spoken"?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
fistfulofmetal said:

Do you see me in PS3 threads bitching about how Valkyria Chronicles and LBP are the only games of my interest in the console? Or in 360 threads complaining of the amount of shooters?

No, you don't. I frankly don't give a shit if you believe the Wii is the most worthless piece of garbage ever, but it becomes irksome for Wii fans to hear the same drivel day after day after day.

Neomoto

AstroLad said:
And how exactly are they justifying continuing to charge full price in these economic times? All I wanna know. Pretty sure price gouging is reprehensible in some states too.
Are you serious?

:lol Wow

_leech_ said:
Because I don't hate the Wii.
If it's indifference you feel, why do you even bother? I don't get particularly excited about Final Fantasy post VII, so I tend not to click on those threads.

Anyway, back on topic, ~1.5 million Wii is looking likely. Some are predicting 1.8 million, but I don't think it'll go that high.

gkryhewy

Regulus Tera said:
Do you see me in PS3 threads bitching about how Valkyria Chronicles and LBP are the only games of my interest in the console? Or in 360 threads complaining of the amount of shooters?

No, you don't. I frankly don't give a shit if you believe the Wii is the most worthless piece of garbage ever, but it becomes irksome for Wii fans to hear the same drivel day after day after day.

Hey, watch it. PS3 is the shooterbox - 360 has a number of solid RPGs.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Anyway, back on topic, ~1.5 million Wii is looking likely. Some are predicting 1.8 million, but I don't think it'll go that high.

I was thinking ~1.8, but I don't see how it's possible given these shipment numbers, unless December will be comparatively barren.

lordmrw

fistfulofmetal said:

When the same people make it a point to the shit out in ever thread relating to the Wii, yes, it is a meme. I didn't particularly like the Xbox last generation, so I sold it and bought more games for my GC and PS2. You didn't see my make an attention whore thread about selling it, you didn't see me jump into every xbox related thread and whine about not liking the system, I simply got rid of it and moved on with my life. Why the fuck is it so hard for many to do the same?

Ulairi

Banned
_leech_ said:
Because I don't hate the Wii.

If you have no interest in the Wii, why don't you avoid all the posts with Wii in the title? It's like what I do with Halo and other manly space marine games.

If it's indifference you feel, why do you even bother?

Because I was responding to someone complaining about memes. Sometimes people who say something like, "it doesn't have any games I like" are... you know... sometimes telling the truth, and I gave my example of how it relates to me. Not everything is an attack, relax.

Ulairi said:
If you have no interest in the Wii, why don't you avoid all the posts with Wii in the title?

Umm...

_leech_ said:
I'm a gamer, I want to like the Wii

Please stop putting words in my mouth, thanks. And before anyone starts digging through my anti-Wii post history, times change.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
_leech_ said:
Please stop putting words in my mouth, thanks. And before anyone starts digging through my anti-Wii post history, times change.

This is close to the worst justification for anything I've ever seen in my life.

AstroLad said:
You're assuming that there is some objective "right" and "wrong" about a game and a game's quality, and that is determined strictly by market success, which is a preposterous presumption. The only "objective" criterion about a game that can truly be expressed is in the form of a score, and no amount of sales can defeat that. Or do you also think that Backstreet Boys and Norbit are "great" just because "the market has spoken"?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but videogame quality can be objectively right and wrong. I didn't find Halo very compelling but that didn't lead me to believe it was a bad game just that it wasn't a game for me. You may disagree with that but my social skills force me to at least respect the opinions of others even if i disagree with them. So yes, if the Backstreet Boys sell 10 million records I'm going to assume they must be doing something right.

And I never derailed a Backstreet Boys thread with my negative opinions of them as far as I can remember.

PS: Norbit was a BOMB.

Sadist

_leech_ said:
Because I was responding to someone complaining about memes. Sometimes people who say something like, "it doesn't have any games I like" are... you know... sometimes telling the truth, and I gave my example of how it relates to me. Not everything is an attack, relax.
But sometimes even the truth (for some I guess) can be tiresome. It's just like the friend who always tells you "I told you so!". Yeah we know you told that, but we've heard it enough allready.

Regulus Tera said:

I'm not sure why they shouldn't be able to speak their opinion just because it makes you cry.

_leech_ said:
I don't care about people attacking the Wii. Just let them do it elsewhere where it's relevant - complaint threads.

It's annoying to have to wade through the same tired talking points every time there's a Wii thread and a sales thread at that. I sold my PSP because I found myself not playing it and the games it had coming out didn't appeal to me. You don't see me sticking up for people who troll the PSP, however, since it never adds anything worthwhile to the discussion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly don't get it.

The Wii gets about as much use as a KitchenAid standmixer in most homes, including mine, and all my friends. That is to say, not very much.

Then again, many people seem to have those stand mixers in their kitchens.

Sadist

I don't care about people attacking the Wii. Just let them do it elsewhere where it's relevant - complaint threads.

It's annoying to have to wade through the same tired talking points every time there's a Wii thread and a sales thread at that. I sold my PSP because I found myself not playing it and the games it had coming out didn't appeal to me. You don't see me sticking up for people who troll the PSP, however, since it never adds anything worthwhile to the discussion.
Stop making sense please.

Link

The Autumn Wind
fistfulofmetal said:
I'm not sure why they shouldn't be able to speak their opinion just because it makes you cry.
Because it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic most of the time.

gkrykewy said:
I was thinking ~1.8, but I don't see how it's possible given these shipment numbers, unless December will be comparatively barren.
That's sort of what I was thinking. Numbers for December might be elevated somewhat, but the jump won't be the traditional 2 x November. Something in my bones tells me Wii won't break PS2's record December (2002, ~2 million units)

AstroLad said:
It's certainly a cottage industry.

You know what I'm getting at. It didn't meet the expectations we usually set for his films hence the bomb. Honestly I would have thought it did better that that WW.

But this is soooo OT. On topic the point I was trying to make is that it's OK to hate the Wii if that's what floats your boat but I'm tired of posters storming Wii threads with "LOL Wii" posts as if they're educating us dirty heathens.

TunaLover

This is just crazy, here in Chile the price for the Wii go up for 20 percent, yes that's true 20 percent more than the launch price at retail level, even specialized stores. It's the first time something like this happen thought.

meppi

Angry Grimace said:
I honestly don't get it.

The Wii gets about as much use as a KitchenAid standmixer in most homes, including mine, and all my friends. That is to say, not very much.

Then again, many people seem to have those stand mixers in their kitchens.

around and around we go..... like clockwork.

Will this stupidity never end?

TunaLover

I don't know what's more annoying, people trolling every Wii threads, or people baiting the same old lures.

nvm, this thread is done.

good job.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
fistfulofmetal said:

Because...

It's annoying to have to wade through the same tired talking points every time there's a Wii thread and a sales thread at that.

that.

Johann

Grecco said:
Iwata isnt as insane as Yamauchi or crazy as Kutaragi. I think hes smart enough to break the whole 2 gen curse thing

Yamauchi couldn't have picked a better successor. Iwata comes from a software development background (essential for Nintendo building hardware for software and vice-versa) and has incredible forsight.

He is a killer with the manners of a rabbit.

Congrats and thank you to Nintendo for continuing to provide relatively inexpensive entertainment to so many people.

Thanks to them, the future of videogaming gets brighter by the day and I appreciate their great and humble efforts.

Top Bottom