• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA: steady flow of NES classic thru holidays and into next year

And how is that Amazon's fault?

You're supposed to review the product you bought and received not the bullshit surrounding it.

They should restrict the reviews to verified purchases through them. It's going to be a real pain sifting through the 'salt' reviews to get to the few that are actually reviewing the product.

It's very disappointing that they failed so hard to have enough controllers. I want to play and introduce this to my kids but we can't fucking play two player.

Are these restocks going to include controllers?

I hate Nintendo so much right now. Any product of theirs I look at in my house fills me with resentment.

Someone has one on Kijiji in my area for $4500, thinks it will go fast.

200w.gif

Crazy.

Got admit though, the longer I don't have one, the more I want one.

They should restrict the reviews to verified purchases through them. It's going to be a real pain sifting through the 'salt' reviews to get to the few that are actually reviewing the product.

I'm glad they are filling the page with 1 star reviews. It doesn't deserve to have higher reviews if you can't even get the thing. Keep them coming!

That I don't buy. Nintendo knew this would be an hot product from the jump. I think they could have met high demand on day one if they really wanted to but as they said, there will be a "steady flow of additional systems through the holiday".

Do we know how many have actually sold? I haven't seen any figures but before defaulting to the Nintendo intentionally withheld stock, it would be interesting to know how it sold.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Fuck Nintendo and its constant bullshit with releases.

Kijiji is littered with $400 Nintendo mini's..

So fucking annoying.

I'm glad they are filling the page with 1 star reviews. It doesn't deserve to have higher reviews if you can't even get the thing. Keep them coming!

It doesn't deserve a rating *period* if you can't get it. If people are pissed off with the distribution process, which they should be, then go fill up Nintendo's email system with disgust. Rating the product on the basis of its availability, instead of its quality, isn't going to deter potential customers from getting one once they're in stock.

Glad I have absolutely zero interest in this thing.

Yea, I have to say, quite honestly my interest has gone from moderate to... about zero. I already have a real NES with the games I want. And I am (increasingly) thinking unfavorably of some of Nintendo's business practices.

So, way down the line, if this thing is sitting somewhere on sale for $40, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I can very much do without it.

Fuck Nintendo and its constant bullshit with releases.

Kijiji is littered with $400 Nintendo mini's..

So fucking annoying.

We should have been able to pre-order. Not pre-ordering basically guarantees the scalpers would be out in force. No matter how many were shipped if the majority were bought by scalpers it ends up like it is now.

The scalpers have no risk because if Nintendo continues shipping stock and they can't sell them they can simply return any that hadn't sold by that time. That's my major concern with the issue. I guess they were wanting them available on shelves for impulse buys by the scalpers were always going to ensure that wouldn't happen.

Yea, I have to say, quite honestly my interest has gone from moderate to... about zero. I already have a real NES with the games I want. And I am (increasingly) thinking unfavorably of some of Nintendo's business practices.

So, way down the line, if this thing is sitting somewhere on sale for $40, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I can very much do without it.

I grew up with a SNES so it just doesn't do anything for me, just see them as really old games I don't want to waste my time playing. Nostalgia doesn't really work on me, the games are bad by todays standards IMO. If I were to have one it would just be a hey, look what I got deal.

It is very easy for us to extrapolate what the lack of supply will do for overall sales and I am sure that is incorrect given that we are in a bubble here on neogaf (at least some of us; I count myself among that group). That said, what is fair is to evaluate what I personally feel with respect to this product. This was going to be an autobuy for me even though any of us can easily find ways to play this game and, as a result, the way Nintendo has handled this really bothers me. I generally get disgusted with companies building up demand through artificial scarcity and that is precisely what Nintendo is doing here. They want to build up demand so that, by Christmas, this is the hottest thing around and everyone will purchase it. What they could've done, however, is provide a platform for preorders (that ship on a rolling basis through Christmas) along with limited sales in stores, maintained a steady supply without scalpers profiteering off others' desperation.

So, now, I may buy it if I see it but I won't go out of my way to get it.

Celine

I'm surprised at the great length some american is going to have a NES Classic Mini day one.
Waiting 6 hours before a shop open? paying several times the MSRP?
It's insane.
Just be patient and in a few weeks you should be able to get it.

Was the initial launch better or worse than the Amiibo one?A few people I know were able to go out and get one from the store without any trouble.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Call of Duty is coming: "Remember everyone, don't pre-order."
Nintendo thing comes out: "why didn't you let us pre-order?"

It doesn't deserve a rating *period* if you can't get it. If people are pissed off with the distribution process, which they should be, then go fill up Nintendo's email system with disgust. Rating the product on the basis of its availability, instead of its quality, isn't going to deter potential customers from getting one once they're in stock.

Having the biggest online retailer have a 1 star review for your product is a good way to get their attention.

Toki767

I like how if you look at verified purchase reviews of the NES Classic on Amazon, there are only 17 out of 2500+ reviews.

Call of Duty is coming: "Remember everyone, don't pre-order."
Nintendo thing comes out: "why didn't you let us pre-order?"

Software vs. Hardware.

And the reason they didn't let (if that is the phrase for it) most retailers pre-order is they had no intention of making enough product to meet demand. If they had allowed retailers to accept preorders and then sent a fraction of the preordered product like they intended, it would've just made people angrier than they already are.

Someone just sold one in the b/s/t for almost $300.
It probably shouldn't, but it really bothers me.
Though I suppose if you really want it that badly and have the disposable income for it then whatever.
Just try to wait if you can. Nintendo are assholes for purposely doing this.

Having the biggest online retailer have a 1 star review for your product is a good way to get their attention.

This isn't the first such occurrence for Nintendo though, and I seem to recall them getting plenty of flack for amiibo shortages and their distribution methods being called into question. Didn't seem to matter based on the first wave of NES minis...

Can I just ask... Why do people want this so badly? I don't intend to thread-shit, but I'm genuinely curious why people are willing to pay so much for an official NES emulator and a few games. I mean, it's so much cheaper to buy a raspberry pi and some original NES games, then download an emulator and ROMs for the games you own.

Can I just ask... Why do people want this so badly? I don't intend to thread-shit, but I'm genuinely curious why people are willing to pay so much for an official NES emulator and a few games. I mean, it's so much cheaper to buy a raspberry pi and some original NES games, then download an emulator and ROMs for the games you own.

Oh that's what you're going to suggest? Why not buy these games legitimately on 3DS?

I guess that doesn't connect to a TV with real controllers and working multiplayer, but still.

Oh that's what you're going to suggest? Why not buy these games legitimately on 3DS?

I guess that doesn't connect to a TV with real controllers and working multiplayer, but still.
But buying the cartridges online and downloading the ROMs is 100% legitimate.

And yeah, I'm suggesting this to get an equivalent experience.

You even get online multiplayer with Retroarch.

Nintendo released a product that couldn't be preordered and that is now completely unavailable.

Was this only the case in the US? I was able to preorder one here in the Netherlands back in July.

I bought one as a birthday present for a nephew as a first gaming console. The NES Classic is basically just a convenient package.

Because I'd rather just pay $60 for a neat little package than do all of that shit?

But buying the cartridges online and downloading the ROMs is 100% legitimate.

And yeah, I'm suggesting this to get an equivalent experience.

You even get online multiplayer with Retroarch.

Finding and buying all of these cartridges is going to cost you a few hundred dollars. Is this a serious question?

Was this only the case in the US? I was able to preorder one here in the Netherlands back in July.

I bought one as a birthday present for a nephew as a first gaming console. The NES Classic is basically just a convenient package.
Ok, I can see the value as a gift for a kid. I'd rather just set up a pi and gift that to him though, but it is a good looking package.
Because I'd rather just pay $60 for a neat little package than do all of that shit?

Finding and buying all of these cartridges is going to cost you a few hundred dollars. Is this a serious question?
What? Those cartridges are cheap you know. Only rare games are expensive. They don't even need to be working copies. And it allows you to just buy the games you want.

I know its a bit more of a hassle, but it's still very easy, and offers so much more value. I mean, it's extracting a zip file to an SD card, then putting that SD card in the pi. That's it.

Anyway, I get the picture now. Thanks for responding.

Ok, I can see the value as a gift for a kid. I'd rather just set up a pi and gift that to him though, but it is a good looking package.

What? Those cartridges are cheap you know. Only rare games are expensive. They don't even need to be working copies.

I now its a bit more of a hassle, but it's still very easy, and offers so much more value. I mean, it's extracting a zip file to an SD card, then putting that SD card in the pi. That's it.

Anyway, I get the picture now. Thanks for responding.

Are they "$2 a pop" cheap? Do they come in a neat little package that your average joe can just pop into the HDMI of their tv? You are being ridiculously out of touch here. Using your logic, one could ask "Why is Netflix so popular? Why doesn't everyone just rip their collection of thousands of movie and tv show DVDs and BluRays and run HTPC?" I mean, think about how ridiculous of a proposition that would be to your average person? Convenience is king.

DeMeester

I only know about the Netherlands but I can imagine this is the same for everywhere. Stores here will be getting new stock every week. People are advised to make reservations or sign up on waiting lists because there won't be many units available every week.

I've already got the system, but I'm still looking for an extra controller. Does the same apply to controllers in The Netherlands :)?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

This can't possibly be true. I know that people into emulation like to cover their asses concerning legality by paying lip service to buying the actual game cartridges, but that's hardly what most people do.

Just a quick tally on cost of what you're suggesting:

Raspberry Pi - $35
Super Mario Bros - $5
Super Mario Bros 3 - $15
Legend of Zelda - $25

So that's already $60. There's 27 other games in this collection. I kind of fail to see how it's possible to get a Raspberry Pi plus all the games included here for under $300.

Are they "$2 a pop" cheap? Do they come in a neat little package that your average joe can just pop into the HDMI of their tv? You are being ridiculously out of touch here. Using your logic, one could ask "Why is Netflix so popular? Why doesn't everyone just rip their collection of thousands of movie and tv show DVDs and BluRays and run HTPC?" I mean, think about how ridiculous of a proposition that would be to your average person? Convenience is king.
I didn't come here to argue, but yeah, I've seen them for that cheap, especially when they don't need to be pretty, or even actually work.

And yeah, that second one is a good question too. Sure, convenience is king, but it's pretty damn easy to run your own personal Netflix nowadays. Quite a bit more expensive though.

Anyway, I just popped in to hear the reasons people were so interested in this. I don't see any point to continuing the discussion further, and my personal interest in this console is zero, so I'll be out of here.

I didn't come here to argue, but yeah, I've seen them for that cheap, especially when they don't need to be pretty or work.

And yeah, that second one is a good question too. Sure, convenience is king, but it's pretty damn easy to run your own personal Netflix nowadays. Quite a bit more expensive though.

I think you are full of it if you think you can get the cartridge versions of the games on this collection for $2 a pop. That is simply not true. And especially if we are talking about scouring flea markets or local game shops, which is total YMMV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This can't possibly be true. I know that people into emulation like to cover their asses concerning legality by paying lip service to buying the actual game cartridges, but that's hardly what most people do.

Just a quick tally on cost of what you're suggesting:

Raspberry Pi - $35
Super Mario Bros - $5
Super Mario Bros 3 - $15
Legend of Zelda - $25

So that's already $60. There's 27 other games in this collection. I kind of fail to see how it's possible to get a Raspberry Pi plus all the games included here for under $300.

That Raspberry Pi doesn't include the case or power supply or any kind of controller or the setup time involved in installing the OS or the emulator either.

JMizzlin

I wonder what this means for Australia! I know we have another shipment that's available online on.

Exact same thing happened with Amiibos. I called that there'd be more NES on the way but all my friends disagreed. Nintendo would be stupid not to release more.

So basically Nintendo are indeed aware of the demand for them and are choosing to do the usual trickling them out to ensure artificial scarcity and to let their fans rabid demand for them work as free advertising. Yay.

Means I'm not buying one for a while then, sadly, since it's in no way worth more than £20 to me.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these are going to end up in boot fairs and traded in at game stores come the new year though, so it may well see an Amiibo like price crash in 6 months or so.

Top Bottom