• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE starting to advertise the 3DS' strongest feature: Play Nintendo DS software in 2D

extralite

Amir0x said:
fuck Europe :(

why you gotta rub in the one time you Europeans get anything good
It's been like this since the SNES: Terranigma. Europe misses out a lot and gets everything late but NoE occasionally localizes stuff NoA passes up, especially end generation.

Shiggy

Zoramon089 said:
Ok. It did well.

It didn't set the charts on fire, it even sold worse than a 6-year-old platform.

@Sadist
We didn't get various other games though...Excitebots, London Life, Glory of Heracles, Fossil Fighters, Chibi-Robo DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nirolak said:
If we have to rate it relative to a giant crash for the DS though, that doesn't strike me as a good thing.

The 3DS has to do well without lots of qualifying statements for me to think it is doing well.

But the fact that DS decreased of 55% in comparison with July is BECAUSE of 3DS's rise... this is a good sign for the future of the platform.
However, since we're going OT, we could continue on PM and stop it here XD

Shiggy said:
It didn't set the charts on fire, it even sold worse than a 6-year-old platform.

@Sadist
We didn't get various other games though...Excitebots, London Life, Glory of Heracles, Fossil Fighters, Chibi-Robo DS.

It outsold the PSP and DS last NPD...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
But the fact that DS decreased of 55% in comparison with July is BECAUSE of 3DS's rise... this is a good sign for the future of the platform.
However, since we're going OT, we could continue on PM and stop it here XD
I have to leave for about the next eight or so hours soon, but sales talk in a marketing thread isn't really off-topic.

Amir0x

Banned
Sadist said:
Well we got Last Window as well and Last Story/Pandora's Tower will be here next year

Well I don't care about Last Window considering the quality of the other games from that team, plus Pandora's Tower looks genuinely awful.

Last Story... ok you got me there too...

whatever EUROPEANS, we'll get you back one day... ONE day...

jgkspsx said:
Special bonus feature: if you have good eyesight, most DS games look like ass in large size and all are microscopic in true resolution!
no, it's just a lie. I have asked people to post screenshot comparison, and unless you don't have a good eyesight, you'll be able to say that it doesn't look ass, it even doesn't look bad, it's just not perfect.

Sadist

Shiggy said:

@Sadist
ExciteBots still hurts :(

Amir0x said:
*giggles*

Mendoza

Shiggy said:
@Sadist

Most of those games weren't very great, and I enjoyed Style Savvy. NoE released a rad version of Jam With the Band... a game, in my opinion, which I would have gladly taken for all of those.

Alebrije

Decarb said:
So what happens if you put slider to 3D while playing DS games?

Don´t you dare !!!

Black-Hole.jpg

Amir0x said:
Well I don't care about Last Window considering the quality of the other games from that team, plus Pandora's Tower looks genuinely awful.

Last Story... ok you got me there too...

You should be play Xenoblade.

I'm playing it right now. One of the best games this generation. :)

JWong

Banned
Are there any games that don't work in 3D?

If not, they should let devs skip the 3D and only develop in 2D.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
You should be play Xenoblade.

I'm playing it right now. One of the best games this generation. :)

I won't mod my Wii, and I would have been playing it on my brother-in-laws Wii but it was sold out everywhere I could find. I can't find any other European importing place where I can buy it right now, but I'd pick it up in a heart beat if I could...

Amir0x said:
I won't mod my Wii, and I would have been playing it on my brother-in-laws Wii but it was sold out everywhere I could find. I can't find any other European importing place where I can buy it right now, but I'd pick it up in a heart beat if I could...

Damn, that's a shame.

Initially I was slightly meh on it, just because there's so much to do and it feels a little unfocused, plus some of the first areas are a little ugly, but damn if it doesn't pick up quickly.

As weird as it sounds - it feels like Okami, if Okami had been a RPG and had better pacing. Lots of sprinting around vast landscapes with beautiful art and a majestic soundtrack.

I reckon you'd love it.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Damn, that's a shame.

Initially I was slightly meh on it, just because there's so much to do and it feels a little unfocused, but damn if it doesn't pick up quickly.

As weird as it sounds - it feels like Okami, if Okami had been a RPG and had better pacing. Lots of sprinting around vast landscapes with beautiful art and a majestic soundtrack.

I reckon you'd love it.

I mean it seems like exactly the type of direction I prefer my jRPGs in, like a refined FFXII or something. I am definitely thinking I'll dig it. Lots of scale, not so linear, monster hunting... it's the type of jRPG dream game that I always look for but is so rare..

MNC

Fuck that Metallic Red is such a great color. Gonna be my 3DS purchase.

Edit: Don't thank him! That's zavvi! Zavvi is the devil!

BTW, just for comparison's sake with the August 3DS NPD numbers. Following the DS' launch, it took it 20 months (not counting Nov-Dec) to sell more than 200k in a single month and that was with the launch of the DS Lite (where it did 593k)

The 3DS has managed to sell over 200k in a non Holiday month after just 5 months on the shelves.

Just to put things into perspective...

Anyway, this ad doesn't really make the 3DS look like another DS revision. It's just a bit misleading in that it gives off the impression that original DS games can be played in 3D (and the decision to highlight the BC over everything else here is a strange decision)

But either way, NOE have made it their MO to differentiate the 3DS and sell it as a "next gen" console in their TV ads as of late, so I don't think that this is much of a problem really. This ad in particular isn't really well designed, but it's hardly a disaster.

Mountains out of molehills etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm confused, did you want them to lie and say you can play DS games in 3D while advertising backwards compatibility (alongside new games in 3D)? Then again, it's not your first thread that confused me with the twists you add to the subject, sarcastic or otherwise, I guess our logic differs.

wrowa

Nuclear Muffin said:
BTW, just for comparison's sake with the NPD comparisons. Following the DS' launch, it took it 20 months (not counting Nov-Dec) to sell more than 200k in a single month and that was with the launch of the DS Lite (where it did 593k)

The 3DS has managed to sell over 200k in a non Holiday month after just 5 months on the shelves.

Just to put things into perspective...
But the DS didn't get a huge price-cut after less than 6 months on the market. That's hardly a comparable situation.

MNC said:
Edit: Don't thank him! That's zavvi! Zavvi is the devil!
I would have linked to shopto, but that site is banned due to an incident that happened some years ago. But, well, it's available pretty much everywhere.

Obviously someone didn't think too long about how to advertise this "feature".

Amir0x said:
Just buy it at Amazon.de. They seem to have plenty in stock. (Here would be the Limited Edition with the CC Pro)
They ship to the US too.

wrowa said:
But the DS didn't get a huge price-cut after less than 6 months on the market. That's hardly a comparable situation.

That doesn't change the fact that it is a good result. That's the point I'm making. You shouldn't be expecting it to do 250k-300k (in a typically slow month too!) at this point in its lifetime, price cut or not.

Of course it remains to be seen how well the sales hold up over the coming months though.

BurntPork

Banned
I have to agree with Nirolak. It should have done A LOT better than 235k and unless it stays above 200k this month it's still in a dire situation in the US. Based on software numbers, it's still struggling in Europe as well. It'll probably be solid this holiday, but honestly I think it'll be another year before we see it really take off, if it ever takes off in the west. I honestly expect another significant price cut in the west next year. Even with the price difference, Vita it going to kill it in the west if Mario Kart 3DS doesn't pull a miracle.

BurntPork

Banned
Xater said:
Have you missed the rumors?
You mean the one where one part of it was right and now the rest is being treated as fact, despite the fact that even the part that actually happened wasn't 100% accurate?

Shiggy

Alextended said:
I'm confused, did you want them to lie and say you can play DS games in 3D while advertising backwards compatibility (alongside new games in 3D)? Then again, it's not your first thread that confused me with the twists you add to the subject, sarcastic or otherwise, I guess our logic differs.

I'm just supporting the foxification of NeoGAF ;)
I just mean that it's kind of stupid to solely advertise the 3DS with the slogan "play DS games now in 2D" and showing the 3D slider right next to that. Most people already have a DS, it's much more important to get those to move to the 3DS, naming the 3DS features and software.
Or what would you say about a WiiU advert only saying "Play Wii Sports now in SD"?

BurntPork said:
You mean the one where one part of it was right and now the rest is being treated as fact, despite the fact that even the part that actually happened wasn't 100% accurate?

What didn't they get right there?

mdtauk

This should hopefully bring those on board, who are against 3D, dislike the effect, or suffer with it, who may believe the 3D is permanent and non-configurable.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah I just don't see why you keep calling it stupid. Why's it stupid to advertise backwards compatibility? I mean, if it was the only 3DS promotional material in existence so the only thing someone was ever going to see about it, sure, it would be stupid to not focus on its own things beyond backwards compatibility. But it's obviously not. There have been other ads, there are other ads, and there will be other ads. Naturally.

Emitan

Amir0x said:
Nintendo realizing it's important to market the systems biggest strength, DS games.
Fixed. I still don't think it's worth owning a 3DS yet unless you REALLY love Star Fox or Ocarina.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Man, I would buy the 3DS in a heartbeat if there was a redesign announced with a second analog nub. That's honestly my main reason for preferring the Vita over it.

Koren

Amir0x said:
plus Pandora's Tower looks genuinely awful.
Graphically? Because it really seems to be interesting to play with quite original game mechanics (and even if I've barely played it a dozen of minutes in a fair, it was really fun to play). That's a matter of taste, I guess, but I'm truly happy they bring it here.

I thought the 3DS should have had a bigger increase since I thought all potential DS buyers would have bought a 3DS instead this August, but the 3DS price drop did cause a bigger sales increase (Percentage-wise, week adjusted) than the PS3 Slim and price drop.

jackdoe

The way they put the boxes right next to each other makes it sound, to the unenlightened, that you could also play DS games in 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if some parents read the ad like that.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I thought the 3DS should have had a bigger increase since I thought all potential DS buyers would have bought a 3DS instead this August, but the 3DS price drop did cause a bigger sales increase (Percentage-wise, week adjusted) than the PS3 Slim and price drop.

The 3DS price drop definitely ate into the DS' sales (The DS had a huge 51.9% month on month drop, so it has certainly had an impact)

It also means that the 3DS is now selling to the DS audience as well.

Rich!

extralite said:
It's been like this since the SNES: Terranigma. Europe misses out a lot and gets everything late but NoE occasionally localizes stuff NoA passes up, especially end generation.

NOE are actually getting really good with dates now - we got the 3DS, NSMBWii and OOT3D earlier than the USA, and skyward sword will be too.

NOE are great in my books because of xenoblade. one of the best games I have EVER played. No joke.

Shiggy

Alextended said:
Yeah I just don't see why you keep calling it stupid. Why's it stupid to advertise backwards compatibility? I mean, if it was the only 3DS promotional material in existence so the only thing someone was ever going to see about it, sure, it would be stupid to not focus on its own things beyond backwards compatibility. But it's obviously not. There have been other ads, there are other ads, and there will be other ads. Naturally.

I think there's a vast difference between using it as a main advert on Nintendo's website and using it as one ad among others. Right now, it is their main advert. It's even a bit misleading because it implies that DS software is also playable in 3D.
I'm also not quite sure whether you read my posts. This ad does not help much when it comes to differentiating the 3DS from the other DS versions, which has been a main problem since its launch. People just think it's a DS which can play DS games in 3D. Nintendo's marketing department should rather tackle that issue instead of reinforcing this belief.

BurntPork

Banned
Shiggy said:
What didn't they get right there?
They said that it would be a $10 dongle that attaches to the right side of the unit. What got instead was a cradle that costs 1500 yen, which means that it'll probably be $15-20. His info was clearly outdated. This is further supported by some people here who claim that not only are the Wii U controller issues solved, but they were solved before the 01net articles were even posted.

Not only that, but the last three articles make it clear that he was a bitter former employee, so I have to wonder how honest he was really being. Did he really hear that they will definitely releaunch it, or just that they'll consider it? If the board puts the blame for 3DS on Iwata, why did they take responsibility too? And that Miyamoto article was nothing but negative spin to make something we already knew about Nintendo's development process look like plagiarism. The remaining 01net rumors should still be taken with a grain of salt. For all we know, the guy new about the second slide pad and told 01net that, and then made everything else up knowing that people would believe all of it if one part came true.

Amir0x

Banned
Bjoern the Smexy said:
Obviously someone didn't think too long about how to advertise this "feature".

Just buy it at Amazon.de. They seem to have plenty in stock. (Here would be the Limited Edition with the CC Pro)
They ship to the US too.

Thanks! I haven't looked in a number of weeks so it seems now it's in stock again. Goood shit. Will be buying CC Pro version

dwu8991 said:
You're kidding.

Why so? Consumers prove again and again 3D is very low on the list of reasons to buy things, 2D is the great strength of 3DS - that is to say, 2D visuals with Wii-level visual prowess.

I obviously know that's not the REASON they put it in the ad - that's just to help dumb people - but as far as the mass market goes, 3D is definitely low on the list of reasons to buy a 3DS (or anything with 3D, the disinterest in 3D is not a Nintendo-specific phenomenon).

Koren said:
Graphically? Because it really seems to be interesting to play with quite original game mechanics (and even if I've barely played it a dozen of minutes in a fair, it was really fun to play). That's a matter of taste, I guess, but I'm truly happy they bring it here.

Well yeah, visually it's an abomination. But I mean gameplay wise it just seems sort of lame. I haven't played it so I'm judging based on some of the lame features (that weird romance feature they have) and the grappling mechanic seems gimmicky and the gameplay seems repetitious and all around shallow.

Maybe it'll be good but it's just not something I'm particularly hoping will come here. It seems maybe to appeal to Japanese audiences, but not for me based on what they've shown. It really looks like a third tier dev game

m.i.s.

Banned
Shiggy said:
I think there's a vast difference between using it as a main advert on Nintendo's website and using it as one ad among others. Right now, it is their main advert. It's even a bit misleading because it implies that DS software is also playable in 3D.
I'm also not quite sure whether you read my posts. This ad does not help much when it comes to differentiating the 3DS from the other DS versions, which has been a main problem since its launch. People just think it's a DS which can play DS games in 3D. Nintendo's marketing department should rather tackle that issue instead of reinforcing this belief.

Generally speaking, NoE's marketing is all over the place with respect to the 3DS. The "this is not Nintendo DS, this is Nintendo 3DS" advert shows dedicated testosterone fuelled games (putting off women into buying into the platform) and then Nintendo announce a pink 3DS in order to attempt to increase 3DS sales in the female demographic. It's a bit lol-worthy if you think about it.

Shiggy

M.I.S. said:
Generally speaking, NoE's marketing is all over the place with respect to the 3DS. The "this is not Nintendo DS, this is Nintendo 3DS" advert shows dedicated testosterone fuelled games (putting off women into buying into the platform) and then Nintendo announce a pink 3DS in order to increase 3DS sales in the female demographic. It's a bit lol-worthy if you think about it.

I haven't seen many 3DS adverts on TV in the past few weeks, only thousand Mario Kart Wii ads.

Top Bottom