• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE Wii sold 325,000 in 2 days

www.nintendo.co.uk said:
13th December 2006 – Wii made its highly anticipated debut across Europe on Friday 8th December, with thousands of people desperate to get their hands on Nintendo’s new console.

As the must-have product for the festive season Wii was an instant hit. Attracting vast crowds and selling out in stores all over Europe in just a matter of hours, a breathtaking 325,000 units were sold in the first two days making it the fastest selling home console in history.

Demand for Wii has been so great that shops all over Europe had large queues forming outside for up to three days before the launch and hundreds of shops opened their doors at midnight on launch day to allow gamers to get their hands on Wii. After just one weekend on sale, shops across Europe sold out of Wii consoles and daily shipments are now arriving across Europe to replenish stock. (EDIT REALLY??)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess proved to be a favourite for avid gamers, with 240,000 copies snapped up over launch weekend in Europe, representing 74% of all hardware purchasers. Wii Play was also a big hit with over 50% of people buying the game (which includes a Wii Remote) along with their Wii console.

Laurent Fischer, Marketing Director for Nintendo Europe commented:
"Wii has become an overnight success in Europe with people of all ages rushing out to get their hands on the console. Even at this early stage it is clear that Wii is delivering on its promise to expand the gaming market, with a uniquely diverse audience all keen to experience the sensation for themselves.
"For those who were unable to buy Wii during the launch weekend, rest assured more stock is already on its way and we are doing everything possible to ensure that a steady supply of Wii units is shipped to stores across Europe throughout December and into 2007.”

Commenting on the launch Tim Ellis, Head of Games, HMV UK said:
"The demand for Wii has been truly amazing, and the official launch at our Oxford Street store was one of the biggest events we've ever staged there. HMV has received a huge amount of customer pre-orders - beyond anything we've ever seen before, including from family shoppers as well as dedicated Nintendo gamers. This suggests that while Wii is obviously one of the must-have items this Christmas, it also has the potential to appeal to a huge mainstream audience over the longer-term."

Wii mania in Europe follows the phenomenal success of Nintendo’s console in the Americas and Japan, where over a million units have been sold in just three weeks. In the Americas, where the console launched on the 19th of November, 600,000 consoles were sold in the first 8 days from launch. The Japanese launch saw similar success with around 400,000 units being shipped to stores for launch day and selling out during the first morning on sale. After just a few days of sales in Europe the Wii seems to be achieving similar success.

While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch, Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week, which is not only the highest week's sales since the console’s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo’s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe.

Click onto wii.nintendo.co.uk for all of the most up to date official information on Wii.

DS also sold 515,000 in one god damned week!!

«þ»

no source?

edit: there is now. I don't know how many would've expected a phenomenon on this scale a few months ago.

Mato

Glad Zelda is doing well. DS is almost on par with Japan's highest a year ago (ok 100k lower). Amazing really.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Did they issue a PR say they had sold 100k like two days ago or something?

farnham

Banned
VOOK said:
Did they issue a PR say they had sold 100k like two days ago or something?

yes the united kingdom is europe..

spain, the benelux countries, austria, france and germany all belong to the british..

DefectiveReject said:
that was uk
this is a european one
so UK is officially 1/3 of the Wii European market!

Only in terms of Wii for the launch. Wii sold ~105k in the UK and ~220k in the rest of Europe, but DS sold 110k in the UK (that's in the same news as the 105k for the Wii) and another ~405k in the rest of Europe!
These DS sales are crazy btw., come pretty close to the 600k madness last year in Japan ^^

Frankfurter said:
Only in terms of Wii for the launch. Wii sold ~105k in the UK and ~220k in the rest of Europe, but DS sold 110k in the UK (that's in the same news as the 105k for the Wii) and another ~405k in the rest of Europe!
These DS sales are crazy btw., come pretty close to the 600k madness last year in Japan ^^
What makes them even more crazy is it’s an handheld console by Nintendo in Europe and its selling this level
I think 30m LTD for DS is almost there if not already?

Whats the USA installed?

DefectiveReject said:
What makes them even more crazy is it’s an handheld console by Nintendo in Europe and its selling this level
I think 30m LTD for DS is almost there if not already?

Whats the USA installed?

about 8.1 million.

So Nintendo is #1 worldwide as hardware manufacturer of consoles... That's nice.
Welcome back!

So..
#1 Nintendo
#2 Sony
#3 Microsoft
#4 Nokia...

??

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Awesome numbers.
Great news that they have daily shipments. And great attach rate for Zelda TP.
DS is a monster right now, It can outdo every other home or handheld console at this pace. Nintendo must produce much more DSs.
Mr. Pointy said:
Zelda TP sales would be at ~800k. Awesome.
Its well over 1m now.
More than 600k in NA (NPD said 412k for US through Nov. 25th so 450k for NA through Nov. 25th.)
More than 250k in Japan.
More than 250k in Europe.

fresquito

Ruud_Luiten said:
So Nintendo is #1 worldwide as hardware manufacturer of consoles... That's nice.
Welcome back!

So..
#1 Nintendo
#2 Sony
#3 Microsoft
#4 Nokia...

??

More like:
#MS
#Nintendo
#Sony

Edit: if you mean next gen, if not, then it's Sony, Nintendo, MS, since PS2 is selling well these days.

So its
8.1m in USA
8.5m in Europe
13.5m or so in Japan

Giving it around 30m, and then you have other territories as well!! (SCARY)
The DS vibe I love it~!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Great, now if only I could get one.... I got so close to getting one today, a day filled with false promises and hope... goddamn you Nintendo Benelux, ship that shit a little earlier, hmmkay?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The freaking thing with the DS is that we all know it will be lowered at 99$ at some point. We've yet to witness its real sales potential.

fresquito said:
More like:
#MS
#Nintendo
#Sony

Edit: if you mean next gen, if not, then it's Sony, Nintendo, MS, since PS2 is selling well these days.
I don't know, the PS2 isn't selling more than NDS worldwide and the wii is selling much more than PSP or PS3. Also the GBA is selling really good.... and they still have the cube...

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Danthrax said:
Already there
according to ioi
It reached 30m mark already, its a reality not ioi's guesstimates.
We have numbers:
More than 12.5m in Japan already
More than 8.5m in Europe already
Way more than 8m in NA already (7.5m through Nov. 25th? that means over 8m in NA through Nov. 25th.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
fresquito said:
More like:
#MS
#Nintendo
#Sony

In cumulative sales your first ranking is right, but in sales since November 1st, Nintendo has a pretty wide worldwide lead.

And I'd argue that if you crunch the numbers you'll find DS + Wii + GBA + (lol still some Cube) in 2006 well exceeds PS2+PS3+PSP in 2006, so worldwide in 2006 I'd say Nintendo did sell the most consoles next-gen or otherwise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1 - Its a launch. The only reason its the biggest ever is because they shipped more than previous launches. No indication of how it will perform over its lifetime. any launch would sell out.

2 - DS WTF!? There isn't even any software out there recently is there? Christmas present buying I assume?

Bo130

Holy...

If someone told me that DS would sell 500.000+ across Europe in a month in 2003 or so, I wouldn't have believed him...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SantaC said:
Iwata has steered the ship around.
The funny thing is that despite its developer background, Iwata is now the smartest business man of this industry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mrklaw said:
1 - Its a launch. The only reason its the biggest ever is because they shipped more than previous launches. No indication of how it will perform over its lifetime. any launch would sell out.

2 - DS WTF!? There isn't even any software out there recently is there? Christmas present buying I assume?

are you
NES%20Fantastic%20Adventures%20of%20Dizzy%201.jpg

from all the spin?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
marc^o^ said:
The funny thing is that despite its developer background, Iwata is now the smartest business man of this industry.
What do you mean despite? More often than not, the coming up the ranks is synonomous with the know how for success.

fresquito

Stumpokapow said:
In cumulative sales your first ranking is right, but in sales since November 1st, Nintendo has a pretty wide worldwide lead.

And I'd argue that if you crunch the numbers you'll find DS + Wii + GBA + (lol still some Cube) in 2006 well exceeds PS2+PS3+PSP in 2006, so worldwide in 2006 I'd say Nintendo did sell the most consoles next-gen or otherwise.
Well, the first post was so vague that it's hard to tell exactly what we're ranking. Hardware manufacturer is a bit a bold statement, since you gotta give a time frame. For 2006 DS beats easily everything else, so, yes, even if Nintnedo didn't release the Wii, they'd be first anyway. For Next Gen though, MS is first, and will be for at least half a year more.

Top Bottom