• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE Wii sold 325,000 in 2 days

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
duk said:
So...

Japan: 400k sold during the first morning on sale (sold out)
America: 600k sold in the first 8 days

+

Europe: 325k in two days

=

=

nexgenwars.com is right on the money??
don't do that again.
nexgenwars.com numbers are way to high for X360 and way to low for Wii. Their numbers are not even close to real numbers.
ioi's numbers are much better.
Also real time sales figures is my ass.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
duk said:
So...

=

As long as Nintendo are restocking relatively well the Wii could have sold a little under 3m by end of 2006. I'd guess something around 2.5m to avoid overstating the potential sales...but it could be more depending on how many units Nintendo manage to get out there to restock. Does anyone know fairly accurate restock numbers?

Arsenal

Rocked said:
How much has 360 sold in the UK?

Do we have these numbers?

The UK is becoming an interesting market I think. I have to say I am positively shocked at the number of Wiis that sold there - not really because of the high demand, but simply that Nintendo would even allocate that many consoles there for the launch. The 360 appears to be doing well in the UK as well (by far its strongest market in Europe) so it leaves me to wonder about Sony. PS3 may very well win Europe as a whole, but its future in the UK looks somewhat bleak.

starship

Arsenal said:
Do we have these numbers?

The UK is becoming an interesting market I think. I have to say I am positively shocked at the number of Wiis that sold there - not really because of the high demand, but simply that Nintendo would even allocate that many consoles there for the launch. The 360 appears to be doing well in the UK as well (by far its strongest market in Europe) so it leaves me to wonder about Sony. PS3 may very well win Europe as a whole, but its future in the UK looks somewhat bleak.
We had numbers for the week ending Nov. 25th along with LTD numbers till then, I dont know the validity of numbers but it seems they are accurate.

ziran

the daily mail's take on wii and its related injuries:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_article_id=422202&in_page_id=1766&ito=1490
'Nintendo, Wii have a problem', say gamers

By SEAN POULTER, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

The revolutionary new Nintendo Wii games console is proving to be smash hit.

The device, which is being billed as the must-have Christmas present, is said to take the couch out of the couch potato image of the computer game.

For enthusiastic game players are said to be causing mayhem and damage to their homes and themselves.

The problems stem from the fact that the Nintendo Wii includes a series of virtual games, such as tennis, ten pin bowling and boxing, which involves users physically taking part.

Rather than just punching buttons, users interact with the game on screen by swinging around a remote control that has an infra-red link to the Wii console.

Nintendo has tried to play up the idea that gamers are getting so-excited when playing with the device that they are losing control.

Warnings to users include a caution to stay at least three feet away from the TV and to make sure people and objects are safely outside their range of motion.

Users are also being warned to ensure their palms don't get too sweaty, because the remote can fly out of their hands.

An email to customers advises: 'Hold the remote securely and avoid excessive motion during game play. If your hands become moist, stop and dry your hands.'

An American website appears to identify a number of injuries and examples of serious damage.

American gamer Jim Walsh, from Akron, Ohio, who set up a website www.wiihaveaproblem.com, has posted pictures which he claims shows Wii remotes that have smashed through plasma screens, laptops, lighting fixtures and windows.

He has also put together a gallery of human injuries.

However, there must be serious questions as to whether the images are a stunt. One shows a Wii remote embedded in the casing of a TV set, which seem particularly unlikely.

One visitor to the site, also called Jim, sent in a snap of his girlfriend with a painful black eye. He claims it was caused when he accidentally walloped her in the eye as he made a slashing move in a game called 'Zelda'.

Despite doubts over the authenticity of the images of injury and damage, they all feed Nintendo's desire for the Wii to be seen as a very different type of games console.

The hype has certainly helped to date, for the machine has already sold out in UK stores at an asking price of £179.99. At the same time, the ebay auction site is offering consoles at £350 and more.

Nintendo is attempting to move the computer games console market away from the idea of teenage boys locked in their bedrooms playing racing or 'shoot em up' games filled with speed, blood and gore.

The company has had great success with its 'Brain Training' games for adults that are designed for its handheld DS console. While it now hopes the Wii will appeal to families, women and older generations.

Retail analysts, TNS Worldpanel, said that the over 45 market has seen a 41per cent growth in computer games bought for personal use over the past four years. This is the fastest growing age group in gaming.

At the same time, sales of computer games to women for personal use have grown by a staggering 67per cent over the same time. Women now account for 15per cent of the market.

The Wii is in direct competition with Microsoft's Xbox and consoles from Sony in a UK market worth £1.1 billion a year. Some 47 million computer console games have been sold in the past year, which is up by 50per cent over the past five years.

The success of the Nintendo console will be a bitter blow for Sony. The company has had to delay the launch of its PlayStation 3 until March, so losing crucial Christmas sales.
wii's coverage in the uk media has been amazing over the last week and all the 'wii causes injuries because it's so much fun', is continual great pr.

argon

That "wii have a problem" website is certainly getting a lot of hits. I see links to it everywhere in the media... smart move by its creator, playing off of peoples ineptitude.. =)

Almost makes me think Nintendo PR might be behind the site....

At the same time, sales of computer games to women for personal use have grown by a staggering 67per cent over the same time. Women now account for 15per cent of the market.

That may be the single BIGGEST reason why Nintendo might dominate. If the # of female gamers continues to rise like that, companies are going to be forced to take different approaches to the market.

starship

Mrbob said:
DS is the new PS2.
Has PS2 ever sold 22m in a year?
DS sales at the end of 2005 ~ 13m
DS sales at the end of 2006 ~ 35m
And this was happened with 1 year shortages in Japan.

Rocked

One visitor to the site, also called Jim, sent in a snap of his girlfriend with a painful black eye. He claims it was caused when he accidentally walloped her in the eye as he made a slashing move in a game called 'Zelda'.

:lol

ioi

Banned
duk said:
So...

+

=

=

nexgenwars.com is right on the money??

Well if you assume that it sold nothing since Sunday in Europe, since last Sunday in Japan and since two weeks ago in America then yeah :)

by the way, it looks like bunkum has been around some other forums...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
gamergirly said:
That may be the single BIGGEST reason why Nintendo might dominate. If the # of female gamers continues to rise like that, companies are going to be forced to take different approaches to the market.
The bald space marine era is coming to a close!

Math funs.

NA first weekish: 600K, 5 weeks remaining in 2006
JPN first days: 350K, 4 weeks remaining in 2006
EUR first days: 325K, 3 weeks remaining in 2006
----------------------
1.275M

4.0M - 1.275M = 2.725M

So if weekly restocks were to be approximately proportional to launch supplies, to hit that 4 million goal by the end of the year would necessitate something like... 275K weekly in NA, 190K weekly in Europe and Japan.

I know shipped!=sold and it would never be exactly 4 million and yada yada yada.

Bo130 said:
Holy...

If someone told me that DS would sell 500.000+ across Europe in a month in 2003 or so, I wouldn't have believed him...

And its NOT a month, its a ****ing week. 515,000 in a ****ing week, that almost is Japan's last year record around Christmas of 600,000

farnham

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Math funs.

----------------------
1.275M

4.0M - 1.275M = 2.725M

So if weekly restocks were to be approximately proportional to launch supplies, to hit that 4 million goal by the end of the year would necessitate something like... 275K weekly in NA, 190K weekly in Europe and Japan.

I know shipped!=sold and it would never be exactly 4 million and yada yada yada.

IF they can ship that amount.. it will be possible... because its christmas

So if they sold 515,000 in one week in Europe, in December thats around 2million. Average.
If someone can get last week it would be great.
But I estimate, next week if there actually is stock, over 600,000, nearer 700,000, and then another 700,000 - 800,000. So if we say 2 million. Now we already know that Japan can do that. And so can America with there most popular console hitting well over 2 million in December. So worldwide Nintendo can do 6 million DS's in the December. Easily. They just gotta have that many available.

Well all I can say is, either increase the price or better luck next time. They'd better prepare for next Christmas, from now. Especially since Pokemans isn't out here yet.

KINGMOKU

the thoroughbred said:
And its NOT a month, its a ****ing week. 515,000 in a ****ing week, that almost is Japan's last year record around Christmas of 600,000
Oh ****ing shit, your kidding me.

I read it as a month as well. 515,000 units in a week?

WTF. There is no way in hell Nintendo could possibly meet deman thru the end of the holiday season. How many ****ing DS's sold that week globaly then? 1 million?

The DS might end up at some insano number of consoles sold when all is said and done. I'm talking like 200million.

Bo130

moku said:
I read it as a month as well.

Just to clear it up, I didn't. I just stated, that even if some random guy would have told me that it was during the last month, I wouldn't be to keen to believe him :D

dsprintsmoneyqh1.gif

F#A#Oo

Banned
mrklaw said:
1 - Its a launch. The only reason its the biggest ever is because they shipped more than previous launches. No indication of how it will perform over its lifetime. any launch would sell out.

2 - DS WTF!? There isn't even any software out there recently is there? Christmas present buying I assume?

Yes...lets down-play Nintendo for doing everything it can to supply the Wii...

Damn you Nintendo for suppling Wii's in a decent abundance to breaks launch records...:lol :D

DS has software...do you think people are just collecting the DS for it's shinyness and various colours...? Software sells hardware! as the theory goes...:)

Xavien

I Am Error said:
EBA and FF3, why are you part of the problem?

The scary thing is... FF3 and EBA hasn't even been released in Europe yet.

The DS is a pure sales monster, just think of all the profit Nintendo must be raking in, maybe Nintendo has to revise its end of fiscal year figures up again!?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Europe is going to be bigger for Nintendo than North America at this rate. Who saw THAT coming? :lol
They need to build a new factory or something to churn out DS's. 500,000 in just Europe in a week? They can only MAKE a bit over 2 million a month right now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Xavien said:
The scary thing is... FF3 and EBA hasn't even been released in Europe yet.

no the scary thing is that pokemon hasn`t been released....... :eek:

andthebeatgoeson

JoshuaJSlone said:
Math funs.

----------------------
1.275M

4.0M - 1.275M = 2.725M

They could do more in Japan. 200-300K per week as a low number, in Japan would be easy. And then you factor the week before Christmas, where sales should balloon. 200K in Europe should be easy. You NA numbers might be a lil high but it depends on that week before Christmas. Then consider that if they fail and hit 3 million, it'll still be good for them. If they hit 4 then everybody will assplode and all that stuff. Good for them, they've taken a few beatings and are offering some great software.

BorkBork said:
Europe is going to be bigger for Nintendo than North America at this rate. Who saw THAT coming? :lol
They need to build a new factory or something to churn out DS's. 500,000 in just Europe in a week? They can only MAKE a bit over 2 million a month right now.
Yeah, they'll be hurting post christmas. 2.2 mil/month. NA had 500K for a month. Europe had 500K for a week. Japan, you're up next.

SuomiDude

BorkBork said:
Nintendo said that Europe is becoming more and more important market all the time, and I think they said it'd become more important than US. So they got it right :p

I've been saying the same as well :D

fresquito

SuomiDude said:
Nintendo said that Europe is becoming more and more important market all the time, and I think they said it'd become more important than US. So they got it right :p

I've been saying the same as well :D
They now need to stop treating us like the retarded brother. If we lead the sales over NA, just give us the benefits.

fresquito said:
They now need to stop treating us like the retarded brother. If we lead the sales over NA, just give us the benefits.

You've got Wii Play and better VC game selections. What more do you people want? :lol

Top Bottom