• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE Wii sold 325,000 in 2 days

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
elostyle said:
IMAGE_00059-small1.jpg

I suppose supply ain't that bad in europe.

60hz VC games.
doesn't look like my media markt! there was absolutely no Wii in the media markt amsterdam last weekend. I thought they hadn't heard of it, till i saw about 3 games for the thing and absolutely no accessories.

Jiggy

So, for reference, if the DS continued at its current rate of ~30 million worldwide sold in two years and a month (which it probably won't, since it has yet to see a sales drop after the introduction of DS Lite [edit: and also just because of increasing momentum even at its current price]), at what point would it catch the PS2 LTD?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
catfish said:
doesn't look like my media markt! there was absolutely no Wii in the media markt amsterdam last weekend. I thought they hadn't heard of it, till i saw about 3 games for the thing and absolutely no accessories.
Guy that has taken the picture might have gotten lucky with his timing.

SuomiDude

fresquito said:
They now need to stop treating us like the retarded brother. If we lead the sales over NA, just give us the benefits.
I've said this many times before as well. Nintendo of Europe has got tons better than it was like 5 years ago. And remember, back then Europe wasn't as important as it is now. The change takes time, but it's been happening all this time, and 5 years from now Europe will be treated as the 2nd most important market.

farnham

Banned
in germany the wii was sold out.. there are new shipments this week i guess.. (some mediamarkts got their shipments on monday too..)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Jiggy37 said:
So, for reference, if the DS continued at its current rate of ~30 million worldwide sold in two years and a month (which it probably won't, since it has yet to see a sales drop after the introduction of DS Lite [edit: and also just because of increasing momentum even at its current price]), at what point would it catch the PS2 LTD?
It will do better not worse because its first year was completely average at best, its second year was impressive and considering it can keep its momentum in the next 2 years (also consider that it will have at least 2 price cuts) then it can do better than 30m in the next 2 years, probably 35m - 40m.
All that said, Its chance to sell as many as PS2 is a little low because it won't have the same life span, but who knows, its better to wait and see.

F#A#Oo

Banned
starship said:
It will do better not worse because its first year was completely average at best, its second year was impressive and considering it can keep its momentum in the next 2 years (also consider that it will have at least 2 price cuts) then it can do better than 30m in the next 2 years, probably 35m - 40m.
All that said, Its chance to sell as many as PS2 is a little low because it won't have the same life span, but who knows, its better to wait and see.

It has atleast 3 years left still...this doesn't include a re-model/and various other product life extending opportunities Nintendo always take the consumer on!

Rocked

SuomiDude said:
I've said this many times before as well. Nintendo of Europe has got tons better than it was like 5 years ago. And remember, back then Europe wasn't as important as it is now. The change takes time, but it's been happening all this time, and 5 years from now Europe will be treated as the 2nd most important market.

God yes, remember David Gosen... -_- I think Iwata personally wanted to turn things around here, because that's when things picked up.

Kevtones

Is this not surreal? Two years ago Nintendo was left for dead by just about everyone...and now they're raping our brains, wii-ing our mothers and pillaging our wallets. Damn.

I have to say I'm really impressed with how the Wii is doing in Europe I never would have expected those kinds of numbers there.

Holy shit at the DS too, I mean wow.

Parl

DefectiveReject said:
Can we not bring UNOFFICIAL numbers in here, i don't want this thread being derailed with guesstimating of POSSIBLE sales.

THANKS

Tracked numbers are normally both lower for the date tracked up to and outdated when compared to actual sales up until the current day.

The approximations made by ioi are either over or under the actual exact amount sold through to consumers at the time of writing, but this amount, because of the method(s) used to create this data, is often the best and most accurate representation of actual, up-to-the-second, real sell through data there is out there.

The chances of the over approximation possibility being greater than the difference between tracked/old official data and the current (but unknown) sell through amount is VERY tiny.

So would you prefer to talk about pretty accurate figures of current sell through, or figures which don't do a very good job at all? Do you want to say "Looks like DS could've possibility made it's way past 30m. Who knows?" or "It's VERY likely DS has passed 30m"?

Rocked

Kevtones said:
Is this not surreal? Two years ago Nintendo was left for dead by just about everyone...and now they're raping our brains, wii-ing our mothers and pillaging our wallets. Damn.

Yes, it's very surreal. Remember when Nintendo was 'doomed'? Everyone waiting to find out what the MEGATON was, NOE screwing up everything they touched, boring SNES-GBA ports, GameCube being completely ignored in mainstream news articles and being bashed as KIDDY every other week...

It's quite amazing. And I remember when everyone thought Iwata didn't have a clue as well! Especially when he was making negative comments like "I feel like a chef with nobody to cook for" :lol

AniHawk

farnham said:
why.. anihawk.. do you think it will sell like shit..?

No, because it's selling so well right now, and Pokemon isn't even on the system in Europe or NA (not the main one, at least).

Kevtones said:

When Nintendo dies, this industry will die. They'll rise and fall until the end :lol

Parl

Why is Europe now DS' biggest market? I call for 110m DS units by end of 2009.

Ah, screw it. I'll say 75 million Wii's by the same time, too.

Nintendogs is a phenomenon in Europe. Even bigger than the North America and Japan. Also Brain Training and NSMB have done huge numbers there.

The Wii in the long term could do better in Europe because of its more party-friendly approach. Europeans love that type of gaming (Sing Star and what not).

Rocked

The Wii in the long term could do better in Europe because of its more party-friendly approach. Europeans love that type of gaming (Sing Star and what not).

Dance Dance Revolution was huge here too. I think there may be more girl gamers in Europe than America.

Neomoto

Rocked said:
Dance Dance Revolution was huge here too. I think there may be more girl gamers in Europe than America.
That would explain the ridiculously high tie-ratio for Nintendogs in Europa.. kinda.

I just realized how freaking insane 515,000 DS sales for one week is. The big DS week last year in Japan was 600,000 DS' ... that was considered record breaking ... holy shit @ Europe. They might actually be able to top 600k DS in a week if Nintendo can get the supply over there in time.

Loonz

Well, I'm from Spain and all I can say is that I've never EVER seen anything like the madness that the DS and the Wii are creating here :lol . I mean, Wii is sold out everywhere (they're taking consoles from Italy to replenish the stock, but in vain), the DS is sold out everywhere too. I wanted to buy a DS Lite today ('cos it'll be imposible to get a Wii before Feb or March for me, the reservation lists to get one are huge until then) and I couldn't. Mediamarkt? Sold out. Game? Sold out. Carrefour? Sold out. There are plenty of Xbox360s or PSPs here, but no DS and no Wii. And I want one of those pretty badly :(.

Parl

Yeah, if the supply is right, this week's sales and next week's sales should top this already amazing number.

If the supply was there worldwide, I'd say DS could sell 7 million in December. (But it's not).

Ikael

I've said this many times before as well. Nintendo of Europe has got tons better than it was like 5 years ago.
Since my blog is not getting free Wiis, no Nintendo Europe is bad! They eat adorable kittens for brekfast! Booo!

And remember, back then Europe wasn't as important as it is now. The change takes time, but it's been happening all this time, and 5 years from now Europe will be treated as the 2nd most important market.
I really hope so. The delay of E.B.A is painful. Also, I do believe that Europe has the chance to become the Nintendo nº1 market, we seem to be more open minded for party games and "ridiculous" gaming than the US.

fresquito

Things are getting better here, but VC games without 60Hzs option is unexcusable, moe knowing they're not translated either. Still they are more expensive than anywhere else.

If you ever think NoE is getting good, remember Wario Ware Twisted.

Peking

great times for nintendo no doubt, but not so much for me as i've been unable to find any store with stock left here in sweden. Didn't even bother to preorder since I knew I would be short on cash, but of course, the unexpected happened. So now I'm sitting here with my money and a copy of TP, but without wii.
and many of the stores I called have preorders reaching well into february. Don't know how they figured that out though since they werent sure of when next shipment would arrive and how many units they would recieve...

even our local newspaper had an article about wii on launchday, wich surprised me, haven't seen anything like that before any other console-launch. four people outside the toystore got lucky:)
fortunately for me though, RE4 still rocks. gah!

Loonz

Things are getting better here, but VC games without 60Hzs option is unexcusable, moe knowing they're not translated either. Still they are more expensive than anywhere else.

If you ever think NoE is getting good, remember Wario Ware Twisted.

Yeah, it's pretty lame. At least the turbographx titles on the VC are quality releases (60 Hz yahoo :D), or so I think.

Nintendo home consoles have NEVER been as sought after in the UK as Wii currently is. It's quite astonishing to see them suddenly assume this mantle of incredible popularity. Yeah, they've always done very well in the handheld arena but the DS has taken it to previously unseen levels and, as a result, helped pave the way for Wii.

GameCube did well at launch, yes. However, you could still go in and pluck one off the shelf without bother days later. This is an entirely different kettle of fish (people are still getting up early to queue outside supermarkets whenever they hear that the local one has a new shipment!) and perhaps, just perhaps, Nintendo are going to find themselves #1 in every territory for the first time in their history. Who'd have thought that a possibility a couple of years ago?

Top Bottom