• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

So what do folks think of the possibility of backwards compat? It looks like we may be getting a controller with a screen from the patents, so it seems plausible that the input methods would be there, but given the potential change in architecture, I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I'm not the sort who tends to care about backwards compat, but given the amount of time I've had with the Wii U, and how much I love the library, I feel like I'll need more time with the games by the time they come out. Which, I know, I can just hang onto my Wii U, but I just like the idea of carrying this particular library forward. It's a weird feeling honestly.
Not likely for Wii U BC considering that the PowerPC architecture was used (which, as stated numerous times, is both dying & not handheld-friendly). 3DS BC may be another story, but it'd require the NX Handheld to retain the dual screens of its predecessor.

Roo

btw, blu
have you already shared your console and handheld hardware speculations/predictions?
I probably missed those if you already have.

So what do folks think of the possibility of backwards compat? It looks like we may be getting a controller with a screen from the patents, so it seems plausible that the input methods would be there, but given the potential change in architecture, I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I'm not the sort who tends to care about backwards compat, but given the amount of time I've had with the Wii U, and how much I love the library, I feel like I'll need more time with the games by the time they come out. Which, I know, I can just hang onto my Wii U, but I just like the idea of carrying this particular library forward. It's a weird feeling honestly.

Normally Nintendo always has backwards compatibility, looking at the Wii (U) and Gameboy up to 3DS systems. But it really depends on how much of a departure the tech is compared to the Wii U and IF it actually has a second screen thing going on.

I'm honestly expecting them to retool the Wii U games though (Complete editions or Remastered etc) and forego outright backwards compatibility this round. Especially since the sales of the Wii U were so low, I don't think it will have any priority unless it would be relatively simple to achieve.

Not likely for Wii U BC considering that the PowerPC architecture was used (which, as stated numerous times, is both dying & not handheld-friendly). 3DS BC may be another story, but it'd require the NX Handheld to retain the dual screens of its predecessor.

Normally Nintendo always has backwards compatibility, looking at the Wii (U) and Gameboy up to 3DS systems. But it really depends on how much of a departure the tech is compared to the Wii U and IF it actually has a second screen thing going on.

I'm honestly expecting them to retool the Wii U games though (Complete editions or Remastered etc) and forego outright backwards compatibility this round. Especially since the sales of the Wii U were so low, I don't think it will have any priority unless it would be relatively simple to achieve.

It's honestly for the best. I don't want them hamstrung by previous hardware decisions. I want a good console that's relatively easy to make games for, and the rest can take a back seat. Let's leave the old behind! New gimmicks for a new generation!

(I'd rebuy some of those Wii U games in a remastered form without hesitation too.)

Kaisos

With all the people who admit that they're holding off on buying a WiiU to see if the NX is backwards compatible, or the people who have bought WiiU games but not a WiiU, hoping that it is? I think they'd be stupid not to attempt backwards compatibility.

Pokemaniac

3DS BC seems highly probable. At least one of the form factors will probably run on ARM, and getting 3DS games running on a modern ARM chip with a software compatibility layer should be relatively easy.

Wii U is a big question mark, though. There are several ways they could approach it, but it depends on how much Nintendo wants it to happen.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I think I brought this up before, but didn't get any responses on it. But was it ever revealed as to what mystery "non-gaming" company Nintendo purchased? I think Iwata mentioned this early in 2015? It seemed like it was QoL related.
No. I, David Gibson and Emily Rogers have been going through all sorts of documentation, but nothing of value found yet.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just when I was starting to play games again. :p
Tell me about it. I wish I had time for some games from all the work and personal projects. Heck, I'm still sub-level 10 in splatoon, for Pete's!

btw, blu
have you already shared your console and handheld hardware speculations/predictions?
I probably missed those if you already have.
Partially. But the big speculations are yet to come ;p

Neoxon

With all the people who admit that they're holding off on buying a WiiU to see if the NX is backwards compatible, or the people who have bought WiiU games but not a WiiU, hoping that it is? I think they'd be stupid not to attempt backwards compatibility.
That might be a bit hard if the NX Platform uses ARM across the board like rumored (& speculated prior to the rumor).

Josh5890

here is for you based om the patents

kUqAN8a.jpg

That's not a cheap controller.......
I better save up

I assume the portable component of NX will have a touchscreen. Is it feasible that Nintendo can create a machine within their price range that has a quality touchscreen? 3DS feels so shitty compared to my phone.

Neoxon

Hard, yes, but nowhere near impossible. Especially if the SCD patent pans out.
Which reminds me, how would the SCD (I'm guessing it means Supplementary Cloud Device) work? Would it be for all NX devices or just the NX Console? How would it benefit the NX device(s) in question? And how would it help with backwards compatibility?

Josh5890

While your solution would allow for 3DS BC, I'm not sure if Nintendo would stick too closely to the DS style. Not to mention that your solution for the NX Console's controller would have a touch screen that's a tad bit too small. Perhaps the recent patent with the free-form touch screen would be a better solution for lining up with the NX Handheld.

As for the games, I can't see Dragon Quest XI or Monster Hunter X making it to launch in the West (& when MHX does get localized, it'll probably be MHX Ultimate). I also removed a next-gen Pokémon since we're likely to get Pokémon Z this year, & it'd be too soon to get an entirely new generation next year. All edits have been bolded.

I could see a new Pokemon stadium game as a possibility. It has been too long since one of those games have been released.

Neoxon

I could see a new Pokemon stadium game as a possibility. It has been too long since one of those games have been released.
I think he meant a mainline Pokémon game (Gen VII), hence my mention of Pokémon Z likely hitting the 3DS this year.

I think NSMB transitioned beautifully in the shape of Mario Maker. Whereas Pikmin, DK and Zelda were/will be the transitions everybody expected. As per 3D Wold, we will have to disagree there. I think 3DW was the better game to Galaxy2. A good deal of what people call Galaxy's ambition was (a) the novelty of the gravity mechanics, and (b) the attempt at a story and cohesion. Those both largely dissolved in Galaxy2, and in terms of sheer platforming 3DW just stomps on the latter.

Oh, last but not least - nintendo managed to create yet another IP this gen (last it was Xenoblade).

Mario Maker and NSMB are two different things. But even on that matter, Mario Maker is really lacking content imo for a 60 dollars level editor.
As for Pikmin, we're still disagreeing here considering how much the game shows its Wii roots. For DK, same criticism, it doesn't look like a leap over DKCR. Zelda has yet to be released but is a good step toward that direction.

And then again, disagreeing with 3D World and Galaxy 2, even though I prefered Galaxy 1 vastly, for the story and cohesion. It's pretty stupid that Nintendo feels so bad about Mario having a little charming story. As for 3DW and SMG2, SMG2 was IMO crazier in the level design and more interesting than the view adopted by 3DW, which has a consequence on the level design.

Also, for last and not least, I think it's least indeed. Even though Splatoon is a good multiplayer game, it lacks IMO the polish of their greatest game and I'm really looking forward for a Splatoon 2 with high level of ambitions over than the shy attempt with Splatoon. Last gen, Xenoblade wasn't the only one, far from it, and I wished we had more attempts like The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. Although, TW101 was a classic IMO.

At some point, you're just willfully ignoring reality.

What do you mean ?

Pokemaniac

I assume the portable component of NX will have a touchscreen. Is it feasible that Nintendo can create a machine within their price range that has a quality touchscreen? 3DS feels so shitty compared to my phone.

The 3DS touchscreen uses a different technology that is actually much better suited for gaming and drawing than the capacitive screens that phones use. That said, it might be nice if Nintendo splurged on getting a multi-touch screen this time.

maxcriden

The only thing I see being brought forward to NX with certainty is the Wii U VC service. I believe Nintendo said they've designed it to be folded into their next system. Additionally, it would make sense then that handheld games have been our on there if all games on the service could be playable on an NX console or handheld system.

Vena

There's a lot of that going around.

I personally just close my eyes when crossing the street. Cars can't hurt me if I can't see them.

What do you mean ?

Super Mario Maker shows they know exactly what is going on and that they are aware.

You also draw incredibly strange lines in the sand to disqualify entry and after entry that everyone else finds either (a.) impressive, (b.) successful, or (c.) showing of a good development evolution within Nintendo.

I personally just close my eyes when crossing the street. Cars can't hurt me if I can't see them.

Super Mario Maker shows they know exactly what is going on and that they are aware.

You also draw incredibly strange lines in the sand to disqualify entry and after entry that everyone else finds either (a.) impressive, (b.) successful, or (c.) showing of a good development evolution within Nintendo.

In what way though ? I mean, at the very least, it's pretty clear they don't know what to do about Metroid.

Also, I don't draw strange lines. I'm just stating how some of these games failed to generate interest when revealed, like 3D World. I'm not doubting these games quality. It was still a great game, but I'm willing to bet that if the next 3D Mario is actually one that goes beyond Galaxy, 3D World will be quickly forgotten.

Kimawolf

Which reminds me, how would the SCD (I'm guessing it means Supplementary Cloud Device) work? Would it be for all NX devices or just the NX Console? How would it benefit the NX device(s) in question? And how would it help with backwards compatibility?
Believe it means Supplemental Computing Device. The cloud is just one part of it. But that patent said basically aost anything can be a SCD. Boxes can also be daisy chained together for more power. If they actually use what that patent is talking about.

Pokemaniac

Actually "Supplementary Computing Device". It's difficult to predict exactly how Nintendo would use them from just the patent, since it is vague enough to allow for a bunch of potential configurations.

For example, using the BC example, they could make an SCD which is essentially a Wii U in a box, and allow you to play Wii U games on it either locally or in the cloud.

Another potential configuration is actually allowing an SCD (or potentially even just an inactive console) to stream images to the handheld GamePad-style, effectively boosting the handheld to the console's power level when in-range. They could even expand it to longer range by allowing you to use it remote-play style as well.

They could also just use it as a low latency (or effectively no latency in a local, wired configuration) cloud nodes. This could allow the games to offload tasks like AI, weather, or any other things that a developer might want to use the Infinite Power of The Cloud™ for.

Point is, the SCDs are very versatile, and it all depends on what Nintendo wants to do with them.

I don't really think there's a meaningful number of people that are doing that. I mean, even if they number up to 1 million, and that's being exorbitantly generous, it would still not be worth it. Unless, like I said, it would be relatively easily achievable. But if it increases the cost of the console by any significant margin, I don't think they'd do it. And again, we might be looking at a completely different type of controller as well, so that would complicate things even further.

Vena

In what way though ? I mean, at the very least, it's pretty clear they don't know what to do about Metroid.

Metroid has no development studio for it anymore, that's the problem. Every other group has their own projects and plans, and when Nintendo gave the project back to Tanabe with a budget and NLG... the internet freaked out. That's the reality of Metroid. (Like it or not, Retro wants to do other things.)

Super Mario Maker is an example of transitioning a product from the old generation to the modern "Minecraft" generation, and their additions to it have entirely been playing to the wishes of the community and being silly for the sake of what people make. You don't get a Clown Car that shoots fire because it has anything to do with Mario, its for the fun of what people are making.

Also, I don't draw strange lines. I'm just stating how some of these games failed to generate interest when revealed, like 3D World.

I am talking about how you keep dismissing games based on some perceived "value" in the face of their successes and otherwise. You've done this regularly with Splatoon, and now with SMM.

3DWorld is simply something we won't agree on as I am of the opinion that 3DWorld is better than Galaxy, and I think it will be remember just as all Mario games are remembered.

Metroid has no development studio for it anymore, that's the problem. Every other group has their own projects and plans, and when Nintendo gave the project back to Tanabe with a budget and NLG... the internet freaked out. That's the reality of Metroid. (Like it or not, Retro wants to do other things.)

Super Mario Maker is an example of transitioning a product from the old generation to the modern "Minecraft" generation, and their additions to it have entirely been playing to the wishes of the community and being silly for the sake of what people make. You don't get a Clown Car that shoots fire because it has anything to do with Mario, its for the fun of what people are making.

I am talking about how you keep dismissing games based on some perceived "value" in the face of their successes and otherwise. You've done this regularly with Splatoon, and now with SMM.

3DWorld is simply something we won't agree on as I am of the opinion that 3DWorld is better than Galaxy, and I think it will be remember just as all Mario games are remembered.

No, the problem is they are clueless about Metroid. NLG is a good studio. They would've been plenty able to make a Metroid Fusion sequel or a 2D Metroid for 3DS.

As for Super Mario Maker, that may be a commercial achievement, but even then I think the game is plagued by Nintendo's new philosophy, with limited online fonctionnalities or some lack of content for level editor.

I'm not dismissing these games as you say it. I'm just saying even though these games were good, it clearly feels like Nintendo wasn't doing its best. It's basically like the guy who always gets 9 or 10 out of 10 and gets a 7 out of 10. It's a good score, but you're used to much better.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
It's just an analyst guys. Like me and you...

Doesn't mean shit to me whatsoever.

Neoxon

I have not been following the "NX" rumors at all. Is it supposed to be as powerful as the XBone and PS4?
That depends, how close can a device with an ARM architecture get to the PS4 or an Xbox One (I'm talking about the NX Console, obviously)?

Schnozberry

The hate for 3D World used to get under my skin as I'm a pretty big fan of what they accomplished, but I think it's just a case of most of the critics having never gotten far enough into the game to discover the brilliance and challenge to be found in the game's bonus levels. Or perhaps they never played it.

Schnozberry

That depends, how close can a device with an ARM architecture get to the PS4 or an Xbox One (I'm talking about the NX Console, obviously)?

A lot closer than you might think. 64bit ARM CPU's absolutely shred Jaguar Cores on a clock for clock basis. If Nintendo put enough of them at a high enough clock speed in a console, it could be pretty great.

There's a lot of that going around.

Especially among Wii U defenders.

People finding the Wii U output impressive and successful are quite obviously the ones living in some strange bubble. Never did Nintendo's output have this little ambition, variety and creativity, plus never been plagued with droughts this bad since the N64. You can personally lower your standards all you want, tell yourselve revisionist history and whatnot, but if their entry into HD world had been at least somewhat close to their previous libraries, they wouldn't have flopped this hard. And that's the reality. No ,,bad marketing", ,,industry conspiracy" or other dumb myth explains a console failing this hard as reality, which is their output being subpar. Almost all of their major IPs and flagships have lost hardware selling power, because their latest entries have been generic as fuck. With few exceptions like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon not feeling completely phoned-in (hence being the only somewhat relative successes) and maybe some good niche title like Bayo2 every 6 months, which obviously lack mass appeal.

Nightbird

Let's talk power:

Would you be satisfied if the home version of the NX was equal in power with the PS4, but at a lower price? Or would you want more?

Neoxon

People finding the Wii U output impressive and successful are quite obviously the ones living in some strange bubble. Never did Nintendo's output have this little ambition, variety and creativity, plus never been plagued with droughts this bad since the N64. You can personally lower your standards all you want, tell yourselve revisionist history and whatnot, but if their entry into HD world had been at least somewhat close to their previous libraries, they wouldn't have flopped this hard. And that's the reality. No ,,bad marketing" or other dumb myth explains a console failing this hard as reality, which is their output being subpar. Almost all of their major IPs and flagships have lost hardware selling power, because their latest entries have been generic as fuck. With few exceptions like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon not feeling completely phoned-in (hence being the only somewhat relative successes) and maybe some good niche title like Bayo2 every 6 months, which obviously lack mass appeal.
What about Smash 4, Super Mario Maker, The Wonderful 101, & Xenoblade X? Either way, subpar wouldn't be the word I'd use for Nintendo's output, as it would imply that most of their games weren't good.

A lot closer than you might think. 64bit ARM CPU's absolutely shred Jaguar Cores on a clock for clock basis. If Nintendo put enough of them at a high enough clock speed in a console, it could be pretty great.
Well damn

Neoxon

Something third parties will support so i can one day live in a one console future
You probably won't get that for a long time, at least with western third parties. Most of that audience went to Sony & Microsoft a long time ago, & Nintendo burned those bridges to a crisp over the last 15+ years.

Vena

No, the problem is they are clueless about Metroid. NLG is a good studio. They would've been plenty able to make a Metroid Fusion sequel or a 2D Metroid for 3DS.

I mean, on one hand you want innovations, new ideas, and creativity... and then you say "just make another Metroid". At some point, there aren't even goal posts anymore, just mirages.

As for Super Mario Maker, that may be a commercial achievement, but even then I think the game is plagued by Nintendo's new philosophy, with limited online fonctionnalities or some lack of content for level editor.

...? What is this? Super Mario Maker has, now, pretty great online functionality. Its also not just a commercial achievement, don't reduce the word "success" to something so limited. Hence my example provided with the game and its evolution.

I'm not dismissing these games as you say it. I'm just saying even though these games were good, it clearly feels like Nintendo wasn't doing its best. It's basically like the guy who always gets 9 or 10 out of 10 and gets a 7 out of 10. It's a good score, but you're used to much better.

I disagree, and seemingly nothing I say will change your mind as I've tried before.

I mean, on one hand you want innovations, new ideas, and creativity... and then you say "just make another Metroid". At some point, there aren't even goal posts anymore, just mirages.

...? What is this? Super Mario Maker has, now, pretty great online functionality. Its also not just a commercial achievement, don't reduce the word "success" to something so limited. Hence my example provided with the game and its evolution.

I disagree, and seemingly nothing I say will change your mind as I've tried before.

Goal posts ? not really. I didn't criticized lack of innovation, just lack of ambitions. And for innovation, not everything needs it. Metroid clearly needed to get back to its roots. I don't really think it's a fair point to say "I don't know what I want" or "I want everything and its opposite". Also, I don't see what's innovative about Federation Force (which is basically Metroid Prime minus the ambitions, the setting, the story, Samus), so you're not even making a point to that case here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Begun the NXST's have.

Oh man: one part of me would be enthusiastic to have a real NXST, in the same way the WUST was created. Imagine the discussions! The possibilities of speculation being correct! The hype! But, on the other hand, that thread could bring up awful parts of our sould. Oh no, the discussions! Oh no, speculations being correct! Oh no, the hype! :p Also, talking about the same things, almost in the same way, over and over, is boring and annoying, which is what happens when leaks are lacking (like, you know, right now, no reliable leak since last October's WSJ's article). The WUSTs turned out for the worst in the end, it can perfectly happen again with any kind of NXST, especially now that there are far more members on GAF than in 2011 (...oh man, it just occurred me that we're almost 5 years since Wii U speculation started. And not that far from 6 years since 3DS was originally announced). It's a shame, but it's also a sensible choice to not have "official" NXST in the shape of WUST.

No Ideaman-like, so far, is also a positive :p

Vena

Goal posts ? not really. I didn't criticized lack of innovation, just lack of ambitions. And for innovation, not everything needs it. Metroid clearly needed to get back to its roots. I don't really think it's a fair point to say "I don't know what I want" or "I want everything and its opposite". Also, I don't see what's innovative about Federation Force (which is basically Metroid Prime minus the ambitions, the setting, the story, Samus), so you're not even making a point to that case here.

I didn't say it was innovative, I don't have an opinion on that game because (a.) its not out and (b.) it has gone deathly silent. I was criticizing the fact that half of the time you're saying a thing lacks ambition or whatever word you want to throw at it, and then you come back and say that "oh no, this should just do more of the same again". (3DWorld is a game that went back to the 2D roots in a 3D game, and I have no idea how you can say it didn't have impressive visuals and performances on top of incredible level design and... ambitions.)

For example:
Splatoon is not a game that lacks ambition, or innovation, or creativity.

Yet you'll tell me (as you did before) that its lacking because of some perceived value of content to dollar value.

Snakeyes

You can pair a "traditional" GPU with an ARM architecture. Using an ARM processor doesn't mean you're limited to mobile components for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom