• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
I didn't say it was innovative, I don't have an opinion on that game because (a.) its not out and (b.) it has gone deathly silent. I was criticizing the fact that half of the time you're saying a thing lacks ambition or whatever word you want to throw at it, and then you come back and say that "oh no, this should just do more of the same again". (3DWorld is a game that went back to the 2D roots in a 3D game, and I have no idea how you can say it didn't have impressive visuals and performances on top of incredible level design and... ambitions.)

For example:
Splatoon is not a game that lacks ambition, or innovation, or creativity.

Yet you'll tell me (as you did before) that its lacking because of some perceived value of content to dollar value.

Your right it lacked content and Polish.

I want to ask you a serious question and just be honest with me.....when will Nintendo internally make a serious story based game? Or one with maybe serious character's and tones?

That's kind of what he's getting at. Look at the genre's they usually do. Xenoblade is a good series, but I doubt it's writing and characters you meet are as memorable as seen in Mass effect series.

Or maybe for a first time take a chance and actually make a story about Mario, and actually give him full on dialogue. Unless they are waiting until their release animated films?

But anyway that's where I think GhostTrick is going with this. If you look at their lineup only a select few break the mold of what they have made in the past.
Neoxon brought up W101 which is a great example of them taking chances. Unfortunately they seemed like they didn't believe in that game and did nothing to promote it, which led it it selling like shit.

With more games that break the mold all the time in the indie space, like Firewatch, SOMA, Rocket League, No man's sky, this is where Nintendo can bring their A game, and really show how Nintendo can make something like rocket league, or their own mass effect, last of us, only with NIntendo's own spin.

Pokemaniac

I want to ask you a serious question and just be honest with me.....when will Nintendo internally make a serious story based game? Or one with maybe serious character's and tones?

That's kind of what he's getting at. Look at the genre's they usually do. Xenoblade is a good series, but I doubt it's writing and characters you meet are as memorable as seen in Mass effect series.

Or maybe for a first time take a chance and actually make a story about Mario, and actually give him full on dialogue. Unless they are waiting until their release animated films?

But anyway that's where I think GhostTrick is going with this. If you look at their lineup only a select few break the mold of what they have made in the past.
Neoxon brought up W101 which is a great example of them taking chances. Unfortunately they seemed like they didn't believe in that game and did nothing to promote it, which led it it selling like shit.

With more games that break the mold all the time in the indie space, like Firewatch, SOMA, Rocket League, No man's sky, this is where Nintendo can bring their A game, and really show how Nintendo can make something like rocket league, or their own mass effect, last of us, only with NIntendo's own spin.

If you're asking for story in Mario, you're missing the point of Mario. The main Mario games aren't about story, they're about gameplay. The Mario series intentionally lacks lore, in favor of treating its characters as if they were actors. The characters can definitely be used to tell a story, as shown by the various Mario RPGs, but deep stories in the main platformer games would just be superfluous.

It is completely irrelevant if a story based game is internally made or second party and only supervised by Nintendo.

Personally I don't think the writing or characters in Mass Effect are memorable. At least not more memorable than those in the Xenoblade games. One well known reviewer even said that Xenoblade X is Japans "Mass Effect". There are many other Nintendo funded story based games like Pandoras Tower, The Last Story, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame or Other M. Even if some really hate the characters in the last one ;)

There must be some valid truth to this story since the original report was from Nomura Securities and not some random analyst. Look at this from Nomura's site:

"We provide corporate clients with a wide array of specialized services based on our strong research and solution-delivering capabilities. These include investment management support for institutional investors, M&A financial advisory services for raising company shareholder value, and underwriting stock and bond issues to procure funds from the capital markets"

http://www.nomuraholdings.com/company/group/nsc/

It did not sound like the analyst works for them. Nomura may in fact have some legit intel on the time frame of release date for the NX.

LaserHawk

here is for you based om the patents

kUqAN8a.jpg

I got a Steam controller just recently and I've actually been enjoying it. One thing it has convinced me of is the idea that a trackpad-like controller can really work if either the game is designed to work with it, or if the player is willing to put in the effort to perfect the key bindings.

While I think a Nintendo controller would still need the A B X Y buttons, a concept like this whose screen could function like the Steam controller's trackpads could be a really nice setup.

Pokemaniac

How powerful is this going to be based on what we know? Can we expect it to be on par with the One and the Ps4?

The only hint we have of power is the vague "industry-leading chips" line from the WSJ rumor. There hasn't really been anything ruled out.

I'm just wondering how the third party support would be for something like this. If Nintendo can't get bigger developer support I could see something like this going the way of the Vita or Wii U.

And I'll buy it anyway lol
I think just because of that fact I can only see two routes being possible to garner third part support.

1. Something that is on par with ps4/Xbox power

2. Something that is so radically different than ps4/Xbox that it brings customers to it and this devs

Sagroth

Weird speculation on my part, but this just occurred to me:

Might we see a port of Smash Bros for the NX? It could have the portable and console version in one.

Neoxon

Weird speculation on my part, but this just occurred to me:

Might we see a port of Smash Bros for the NX? It could have the portable and console version in one.
We probably will. Unless Sakurai hands off the series to someone else, we likely won't see a new Smash game until the second wave of NX hardware (around 5 or so years).

Pineapple

I hope this rumor ends up being true. I really feel Nintendo mishandled the Wii U's launch in numerous ways, with one being that they introduced it way too soon. I think there was about a 1.5 year turnaround from when Nintendo introduced the Wii U to when it actually went on sale.

Sony and Microsoft knew what they were doing, though - formal unveiling in May-June, with a fall release that same year.

If i were a rational investor, which i am, i would be way more concerned with the drop date for pokemon go than with NX. Both are important though. And if the system is coming that soon, Zelda absolutely must be a launch title for it in addition to being on Wii U.

Sadist

You mean like Fire Emblem? Might not be the story based game you're looking for but it features serious characters and it revolves around wars. If you make a wrong move, you lose a character forever. As for more serious games, Nintendo tried; nobody was interested. Except for Goldeneye 64 back in the day I guess. Back in the Cube days they released Eternal Darkness liked by critics and some of us on GAF, didn't matter. While the original Metroid Prime did great, its successors weren't so lucky. Other M is universaly hated because of the story. You are barking up the wrong tree for those games.

]That's kind of what he's getting at. Look at the genre's they usually do. Xenoblade is a good series, but I doubt it's writing and characters you meet are as memorable as seen in Mass effect series.
Highly debatable. You will find countless people here on GAF for example who dislike the writing and the characters of Mass Effect. I'm one of those people. I find the cast of Mass Effect 2 to be bland and forgettable with the exception of Samara and Thane. Can't for the life of me remember most of Shepards crew and their sidestories. As for Xenoblade on Wii... I remember everything.

Hearing Mario discussing his deep and complicated relationship with Peach while stomping goombas, koopas or fireballing cheep cheeps sounds like something nobody would play. Pardon the snark, but I can't for the life me understand why people want this. And it's already been done somewhat: the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi RPG series contain story elements.

]But anyway that's where I think GhostTrick is going with this. If you look at their lineup only a select few break the mold of what they have made in the past.
It sold next to nothing because it's a character action game from Platinum. Only a specific set of people like those.

So, Splatoon? Splatoon wil be the type of game (I hope) that will come out of Nintendo and that's a good thing. Nintendo already has it's own RPG series with Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and even Pokemon. All three of them very different.

I didn't say it was innovative, I don't have an opinion on that game because (a.) its not out and (b.) it has gone deathly silent. I was criticizing the fact that half of the time you're saying a thing lacks ambition or whatever word you want to throw at it, and then you come back and say that "oh no, this should just do more of the same again". (3DWorld is a game that went back to the 2D roots in a 3D game, and I have no idea how you can say it didn't have impressive visuals and performances on top of incredible level design and... ambitions.)

For example:
Splatoon is not a game that lacks ambition, or innovation, or creativity.

Yet you'll tell me (as you did before) that its lacking because of some perceived value of content to dollar value.

No, it lacked polish. It's not "perceived value". It's just that Splatoon deserved the Kid Icarus Uprising treatment. A huge campaign and a big multiplayer.
As for 3D World... yeah sorry, it doesn't have impressive visuals. It's the opposite actually. As for ambitions... it has the ambitions to expand on a handheld game. That pretty much tells everything.

If you're asking for story in Mario, you're missing the point of Mario. The main Mario games aren't about story, they're about gameplay. The Mario series intentionally lacks lore, in favor of treating its characters as if they were actors. The characters can definitely be used to tell a story, as shown by the various Mario RPGs, but deep stories in the main platformer games would just be superfluous.

No one is asking for a full fledged story in Mario. But Mario need to keep its charming story, universe, setting. When Galaxy did that, it brought Rosalina, a popular character. And when you look at 3D World ? Every of that disappeared. It had the worst and most unsatisfying credits in a Mario game.

I think just because of that fact I can only see two routes being possible to garner third part support.

2. Something that is so radically different than ps4/Xbox that it brings customers to it and this devs

Even if it is on par with PS4 and XB1 but has a weird controller I'm still going to be worried. How many devs want to make a PS4/XB1 version + an NX version with weird touch screen controller support?

I think a console/handheld hybrid would be awesome personally but I fail to see a world in which one could exist (and receive full 3rd party support) while you have Sony and Microsoft being so successful with their own normal home consoles.

Neoxon

Even if it is on par with PS4 and XB1 but has a weird controller I'm still going to be worried. How many devs want to make a PS4/XB1 version + an NX version with weird touch screen controller support?

I think a console/handheld hybrid would be awesome personally but I fail to see a world in which one could exist (and receive full 3rd party support) while you have Sony and Microsoft being so successful with their own normal home consoles.
The idea, in theory, is to actually have a console & a handheld with the same architecture, same OS, different power levels, & most of the same games. In this scenario, Nintendo would be better able to support the platform on their own since, let's be honest, those western third parties likely aren't coming back for a long time no matter what Nintendo does.

Roo

???
Using the screen is not mandatory, you know?
They don't have to support "weird screen controller" if they don't want to.
Hell, not even Nintendo supports the screen in a meaningful way for most of their games.

Except for the lack analog triggers, both Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro are perfectly functional traditional controllers so please stop that nonsense.

Agreed. I think it's one or the other.

Either a device on par with ps4/xb1 power wise OR some weird concept that doesn't have that type of horsepower but has some other type of hook.

While the third party support was there on the Wii, it was a majority of shovelware or games that had no idea how to properly use the new controller.

Power and ease of programing will help the NX.

Herne

So Zelda Wii U has a double release like Twilight Princess? Here's hoping it won't be delayed on the older console, though I'd understand if they did.

GamerJM

Banned
You probably won't get that for a long time, at least with western third parties. Most of that audience went to Sony & Microsoft a long time ago, & Nintendo burned those bridges to a crisp over the last 15+ years.

Good thing I don't usually buy western third party games because open world games and FPS games are very difficult for me to play~

I might just sell my PS4 if the NX gets really well supported by Japanese devs, to the point where exclusives aren't a thing anymore. I just don't care enough about Sony's first party games or Western third party titles.
Well I'd probably keep it anyways just in case.

???
Using the screen is not mandatory, you know?
They don't have to support "weird screen controller" if they don't want to.
Hell, not even Nintendo supports the screen in a meaningful way for most of their games.

Except for the lack analog triggers, both Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro are perfectly functional traditional controllers so please stop that nonsense.

Well if the concept images for the new controller are to be believed than using the touchscreen will be mandatory. That's what I'm worried about.

Again, I personally am excited for something different. Just not sure on what kind of support it would garner.

Instro

No, it lacked polish. It's not "perceived value". It's just that Splatoon deserved the Kid Icarus Uprising treatment. A huge campaign and a big multiplayer.
As for 3D World... yeah sorry, it doesn't have impressive visuals. It's the opposite actually. As for ambitions... it has the ambitions to expand on a handheld game. That pretty much tells everything.

No one is asking for a full fledged story in Mario. But Mario need to keep its charming story, universe, setting. When Galaxy did that, it brought Rosalina, a popular character. And when you look at 3D World ? Every of that disappeared. It had the worst and most unsatisfying credits in a Mario game.

Agree with all things said here. It's disappointing that so much has been yanked from console Marios after Galaxy had such a great hub and story book bits with Rosalina. Those were quite well written and presented. Koizumi had the right idea.

Neff

Splatoon lacking polish is one of the more unusual things I've heard from this board this week.

ika

I recall a few people suggesting the idea that the WiiU would "become" an NX system, which would be something I'd be intrigued to see (and would also be in line with Iwata's comments about the WiiU architecture being "absorbed" as it were)

Yes I was one of those insane ones that thought Nintendo would "upgrade" the Wii U (and even the new3DS) via OS into a cheap and rebranded NX Basic System so they can sell old Wii U stock, make a good profit with it and at the same time make a new NX Pro and NX Mobile Pro with better specs at a higher price with minimum risk. Obviously the old machines wouldn't have some of the new gimmicks (like the 2DS -> new3DS) but would run most games at lower specs for people that don't need the last technology to enjoy some games...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170811989&postcount=498

I wonder if that "x86 terminal" build for the OS has something to do with the "Supplemental Computing Device" Patent...

Oh God, new hardware speculation times... I love it... :p

Splatoon lacking polish is one of the more unusual things I've heard from this board this week.

You mean the game that released with 5 maps at launch ?
Clearly, the game wasnt finished and clearly it didnt got the polish it deserved. Splatoon is basically a rough diamond and it deserved a more inspired and diverse solo campaign but also more multiplayer modes and better options.

You mean the game that released with 5 maps at launch ?
Clearly, the game wasnt finished and clearly it didnt got the polish it deserved. Splatoon is basically a rough diamond and it deserved a more inspired and diverse solo campaign but also more multiplayer modes and better options.

That's not what a lack of polish means

Agree with all things said here. It's disappointing that so much has been yanked from console Marios after Galaxy had such a great hub and story book bits with Rosalina. Those were quite well written and presented. Koizumi had the right idea.

Yes, I liked the hub and the little story in Galaxy 1. People could even avoid the story if they wanted.

Mario World is a great game but the conservative hub and zero "story" was disappointing. The other big disappointment was the lack of story/single player mode in Smash 4. Obviously it had been cut because of costs. At this point Smash is only a series for die hard fans. Lack of real tutorial or single player mode is a serious flaw and preventing new gamer to get into the series. Fatal for its first handheld appearing.

Nonetheless all this flaws I saw in some otherwise gorgeous "standard" Nintendo titles this gen had been nullified by Xenoblade X, it has flaws itself, but it is the best game of our time.

Splatoon has a great and fresh single player despite beeing a multiplayer game at heart. Even without the multiplayer Splatoon would be a great game.

Azalean

Banned
How powerful is this going to be based on what we know? Can we expect it to be on par with the One and the Ps4?

Rumors say it'll use "industry leading chips" and it was more powerful than most PCs so that suggests it'll be quite a bit more powerful than PS4/XB1.

Richie

The other big disappointment was the lack of story/single player mode in Smash 4. Obviously it had been cut because of costs. At this point Smash is only a series for die hard fans. Lack of real tutorial or single player mode is a serious flaw and preventing new gamer to get into the series. Fatal for its first handheld appearing.

You say this, but you don't get to 11.40 million copies sold worldwide (both versions, as of September 30 last year) by appealing to just die hards. Anyone who really wants to get in the series needs only a few matches to get themselves accustomed to the controls. I certainly don't recall any intensive tutorial back in any Smash game before these ones.

Kimawolf

Rumors say it'll use "industry leading chips" and it was more powerful than most PCs so that suggests it'll be quite a bit more powerful than PS4/XB1.
That I believe would be due to it using Vulkan if I recall that correctly from that thread.

But I've said before, the SCDs, depending on what they are could be huge if they do what that patent says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom