• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Sounds perfectly believable to me. An E3 full reveal, a post-TGS Nintendo hands-on event in Japan, then advertising blitz until a holiday/late fall release. Pretty much the 3ds playbook but hopefully better executed with a far better launch line-up.

Here we go!

The announcement/launch period is short just as it should be. The days of announcing one year and launching another should be done with.

Ōkami

The system would cannibalize the sales of both Nintendo systems due to the natural end of the 3DS' lifecycle and the WiiU being the Wii U, sales of both are already wanning so things are getting worse in 2016, NX or no NX.

Not really a hint of a hybrid really.

RK128

Reveal in June? The same month that everyone else is going to be showing off their new stuff? You'd think they would want to reveal it earlier when they have the spotlight to themselves.

Maybe Nintendo feels that the NX is so impressive, it will overtake everything being announced/shown off at E3 this year?

If Nintendo has a lot to show off (new IPs, 3D Mario, Zelda U Media Blowout, Retro Studio's Project, Pikmin 4, ect) and the new hardware impresses, then they have the right to feel "WE can overshadow everyone else, not the other way around ;)"

Neoxon

yeah, he had those quotes about wanting to do something like iOS. I think there'll be an NXTV and an NX5 / NX7 / NX9 or something that all run the same software
That's what I was thinking, but more of it being just one NX Console & one NX Handheld at launch. And given Nintendo, we'd probably get an NX Handheld XL later down the road.

2016 release? This thing has to be backwards compatible with the Wii, Wii U, and DS to carry it on the software front. A catch all stationary & mobile Nintendo console.
Not likely considering that the Wii U runs on the PowerPC architecture, which is both not handheld-friendly & a dying breed.

RK128

As stated before, didn't Iwata already shoot down the idea of a hybrid in that sense before he died? The multiple form factor theory seems more plausible in this case.

Maybe they could have the console come out first then announce the handheld in 2017 (or announce that now, then release it next year) with each running the same OS and supporting the same game format (the rumor cartridges maybe?).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Not really surprising and it lines up with many of us are assuming:
-Hints or teasers for Feb/March/April
-Official information roll-out during Nintendo's E3 Direct or Press Conference
-Launch sometime in November

I would think they would do a proper announcement before E3 but Nintendo likes to surprise people, so an official announcement during their E3 event would be realistic :).

With it coming out this year, the question of launch line up comes to mind and I think it might be this in terms of Nintendo-published titles:
-Zelda U Port
-Pikmin 3
-Amiibo-Centric title

Some post-launch Nintendo titles could be this too:
-3D Mario: Feb/March 2017
-Animal Crossing: Summer 2017
-Smash Bros. Wii U Remaster/Port/Ect: June 2017
-Platinum Games Project: Summer 2017
-Retro Studios Project: Fall 2017

Fan dream wacky list aside, there has been one constant every launch for the past few generations. The Wii Sports (Nintendo-Shimamura) and Warioware (Nintendo-Abe) teams have been there with the launch titles showcasing the hardware features.

Nintendo / Takayuki Shimamura
2006. Wii Sports (Wii Launch)
2009: Wii Sports Resort (Wii Remote + Launch)
2012: Nintendo Land (Wii U Launch)

Nintendo / Goro Abe
2006: WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii Launch)
2008: WarioWare: Snapped! (DSi Launch)
2013: Game & Wario (supposed to be Wii U launch)

Guess what! Both guys haven't released a game in a long time. Guess when you will probably see their games again?

Neoxon

Ōkami;191370776 said:
The system would cannibalize the sales of both Nintendo systems due to the natural end of the 3DS' lifecycle and the WiiU being the Wii U, sales of both are already wanning so things are getting worse in 2016, NX or no NX.

Not really a hint of a hybrid really.
There's also the use of the word "concept". It isn't much on its own, but with the Wii U & 3DS cannibalization mention, it kinda lends to the multiple form factors theory that Iwata hinted at with his iOS comments.

Sounds pretty much spot on to me.

We'll probably have heard about the concept by the end of the FY, so investors can be informed on such a big part of the next FY's business.

KingJ2002

The timing makes sense.

i am assuming Nintendo will unveil the console in mid February - early March (close to GDC), then showcase the games, accessories, services, and price points in June during e3, and finally release in time for the holiday season.

as for it cannibalizing the wii u and ds sales. considering the lineups of the Wii U / 3DS and the unified OS that Nintendo is going with... it makes sense for Nintendo to release a console in two flavors... mobile and home... with an inexpensive entry point, that can be used in tandem with each other... and merge their handheld fanbase with their console one... giving them the opportunity to release with the possibility of breaking sales records worldwide.

a hybrid console is a really big gamble for them... it could completely destroy their grip on the mobile gaming market.

AdanVC

So is he telling that perhaps this november we would have a brand new home-console Zelda game and a brand new platform from Nintendo?? Best holiday ever if true!

Josh5890

I just read it the article too. Very interesting. Hopefully Nintendo does a better job revealing this console unlike the Wii-U

RK128

2016 release? This thing has to be backwards compatible with the Wii, Wii U, and DS to carry it on the software front. A catch all stationary & mobile Nintendo console.

My bet is that while the NX isn't BC with Wii U, 3DS or Wii software, maybe they could release a lot of remasters for the next 1-2 years.

I'm sure Zelda Wii U will get a NX version at launch and I wouldn't be shocked if games like Xenoblade X, Smash 4 or DKC:TF get NX versions sometime next year to help with software droughts.

If the NX is strong enough and if Nintendo is serious, a lot of major JP and Western third party games could land on NX, so it wouldn't be as bad compared to year one of the Wii U.

Pif

Banned
There's also the use of the word "concept". It isn't much on its own, but with the Wii U & 3DS cannibalization mention, it kinda lends to the multiple form factors theory that Iwata hinted at with his iOS comments.

Would be really happy to see Nintendo pull of a family of devices with shared library, with a few exclusives on each side of course.

My wish:

A 200€ portable
250€ home console
400€ home console higher specs.

If it is one single device I really don't see how they wanna meet their expected 10-12m shipment.

True Fire

Reveal it immediately after Microsoft's conference and do a blowout Nintendo Direct with tech demos and exclusives after Sony's conference.

Neoxon

Would be really happy to see Nintendo pull of a family of devices with shared library, with a few exclusives on each side of course.

My wish:

A 200€ portable
250€ home console
400€ home console higher specs.

If it is one single device I really don't see how they wanna meet their expected 10-12m shipment.
It's not one single device, Iwata already shot down that possibility. And while your theory makes sense, I'm not sure if they'll have 2 versions of the NX Console.

Sounds about right and what many of us were predicting and expecting. NX E3 reveal for Holiday 2016.

As for their new concept and hybrid speculation - thinking back now over all the NX news that has leaked out in statements from executives and then putting all that in tandem with the controller patent Nintendo filed I'm guessing: a dedicated home console where the controller is the hand held. So a PS Vita-like hand held with similar specs to the dedicated machine that operates as a controller for the base machine and acts as a portable hand held. The controller/hand held will be sold separately but will be the NX's official controller. That's the new concept - and both devices will run the same library of games. So at retail you'll just have an "NX" section for both. What do you guys think - plausible?

The only flaw in my theory I guess is that the NX's price would be through the roof - then again the Wii U was relatively cheap with the tablet controller - so this could be possible?

-Horizon-

My bet is that while the NX isn't BC with Wii U, 3DS or Wii software, maybe they could release a lot of remasters for the next 1-2 years.

I'm sure Zelda Wii U will get a NX version at launch and I wouldn't be shocked if games like Xenoblade X, Smash 4 or DKC:TF get NX versions sometime next year to help with software droughts.

If the NX is strong enough and if Nintendo is serious, a lot of major JP and Western third party games could land on NX, so it wouldn't be as bad compared to year one of the Wii U.
I fully expect no BC and remasters of "hit games" out of the wazoo.

RK128

Fan dream wacky list aside, there has been one constant every launch for the past few generations. The Wii Sports (Nintendo-Shimamura) and Warioware (Nintendo-Abe) teams have been there with the launch titles showcasing the hardware features.

Nintendo / Takayuki Shimamura
2006. Wii Sports (Wii Launch)
2009: Wii Sports Resort (Wii Remote + Launch)
2012: Nintendo Land (Wii U Launch)

Nintendo / Goro Abe
2006: WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii Launch)
2008: WarioWare: Snapped! (DSi Launch)
2013: Game & Wario (supposed to be Wii U launch)

Guess what! Both guys haven't released a game in a long time. Guess when you will probably see their games again?

I didn't think my wish wasn't nuts (Zelda Wii U port is expected at this point and Pikmin 4 was announced a while back....unless its a Wii U Summer title, it is likely landing on NX this year), you bring up a great point.

I could see the WarioWare team make the Amiibo Focused title while the Wii Sports Team makes the creative/'gimmick' selling title for the NX.

I think the Nintendo launch line up could be the following:
-Zelda Wii U Port
-WarioWare Team Project (Amiibo Game?)
-Wii Sports Team (Gimmick Selling Game?)
-Pikmin 4 (if it isn't landing on Wii U this summer)

Kinsei

Banned
Could be like the PS4 which was just that. I think a lot of people have suggested Nintendo repeat what the new systems did (except the X1's X1 bit)

I wasn't aware those were considered concept reveals. This is actually what I've been hoping they would do.

EDIT: Launch Line-up predictions? I think this is a safe bet.

Zelda U (With some sort of feature enhanced by NX to make it the definitive version)
Pikmin 4
Retro's new game
One or Two smaller games like Captain Toad

Josh5890

Regardless of whether or not the system can play older software, they need to work with retailers to discount titles the closer we get to launch. There shouldn't be anything outside of a few Wii-U and 3DS games on shelves by this fall if the NX is launching this year. There are still DS and Wii games on most retail shelves. New Super Mario Bros Ds is over 10 years old and I can still walk into my Target to pick it up today.

thefro

Seems like a decent guess, but it's just a financial analyst who has no more information on these things than Pachter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom