• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-GTA gamers come in here for support

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Are you tired of seeing all the GTA:LCS topics? Have you never gotten the appeal of the 3D GTA games? Then you've come to the right place.

Now mind you I loved the novelty of GTA.. was fun for a couple hours. Where GTA really shone through those was on the LAN. Released at the height of the birt of LAN gaming, you get 4-6 people together on the LAN and things like score and wins became irrelevant. I could have the worst score in the match but would get props from the entire group for nicest kill(s).

Then enter 3D GTA. Same "shallow" gameplay, only this time no multiplayer to remain interesting past the hour or so so that the novelty of the gameplay lasts.

Well now on the PSP you have GTA:LCS. So far we have heard raving about the single player game, which judging by the raves of the previous 3D games likely means not a whole lot has changed in the game for the non-fanatics of the series. Yes the beolved multiplayer is back, but try finding 5-6 people who have a $250 PSP and the $50 game to go with it to play with.

So overall you're feeling left out of the GTA talk, you've come to the right place. Sound off in here.

Tarazet

I've played them in small spurts, but the most fun I ever had with one was being the first one to sell a copy of San Andreas on Ebay in the 'adult' section after it got pulled from the shelves...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think this is a much better tact than just looking for the flaws in every aspect of the PSP like you normally do. Bravo.

borghe

Musashi Wins! said:
I think this is a much better tact than just looking for the flaws in every aspect of the PSP like you normally do. Bravo.
actually this is not a psp troll.. oddly enough my dislike for PSP and GTA just happen to intersect in this case.. but no, this is about GTA:LCS only.. luckily drinky made other flame threads to attract all that "other" attention.

but seriously.. I never understood the adoration for GTA3+. Once you've played one GTA (including oddly enough 1+2) you've played them all.. I guess its the same as all the RPG people who keep buying the next sequel even though the game play is 96% the same as the previous..

Well i agree to some degree that the GTA series have been more of the same since Vice City, it gives me the been here done that vibe after i finished GTA3, but the series is begging for online multiplayer, so as soon as Rockstar INNOVATES and adds the online option i will play it......

Dr_Cogent

Banned
borghe said:
Once you've played one GTA (including oddly enough 1+2) you've played them all..

Hmmm, that's odd, because I find myself remembering how the dynamics have changed each time a play a new one. They add features in every version. Sometimes they change how things work. For instance, you can swim now in GTA: SA.

Have you actually put some decent time into each game that has been released?

Red Scarlet

I only see 2 GTA:LCS topics, but whatever. Never played a GTA, but I wouldn't seeing someone play it that knows how.

borghe said:
I guess its the same as all the RPG people who keep buying the next sequel even though the game play is 96% the same as the previous..

Maybe, just maybe those people enjoy that "96% the same game play"..that could possibly be why, but who knows, I am stumped. It depends on what you're looking at.

borghe

Dr_Cogent said:
Hmmm, that's odd, because I find myself remembering how the dynamics have changed each time a play a new one. They add features in every version. Sometimes they change how things work. For instance, you can swim now in GTA: SA.

Have you actually put some decent time into each game that has been released?
I have put "some" time into each, yes.. and that is like saying that each Final Fantasy has changed dramatically.. 7 had materia, eight had the combos or whatever, 9 had the card game, etc.. but at the end of the day you are selecting shit off of menus, doing turn based battles, rearranging equipment and enhancements, slotting summons, etc.

same thing with GTA. yes they add a few things here and there, but at the end of the day the missions are largely the same, the objectives are largely the same, the play mechanics are usually almost exactly the same, etc. The people who love the games are going gaga over all the little additions, but just like RPGs, the people on the outside (like myself) are looking in saying "4% of the basic premise of the game changed and THAT is what has all you guys going ape shit?"

Granted being on a portable is novel, but that lasts for like 5 minutes.

Elios83

Are you so irritated that many people are talking with enthusiasm about a PSP game that you feel you need to do this thread?

Drinky Crow said:
Or the folks who buy each Mario Kart iteration

or Mario Party

or Pokemon

wha

Nice selection you got there, obviously you missed the important ones but you can keep Mario party and pokemon,still ill take a multiplayer mario kart game session over the latest single player GTA's to play alone....

borghe

Elios83 said:
Are you so irritated that many people are talking with enthusiasm about a PSP game that you feel you need to do this thread?
actually I posted in similar threads for the PS2 games also.. this really is a GTA-only thread. some of you people need to get over you PSP insecurities. :lol

Yeah, the helicoptors and airplanes in GTA3 were great. Never needed to play another one after that.

Serously, this is true for all sorts of genres. I played and loved a whole mess of 2D mario platformers, even though the experience changed only evolutionarily between games. It's for new levels, puzzles, and challenges, not just for new gameplay.

GTA is one of the few series I keep buyig the sequels for. It's becuase the mission and level designs are great, and enough new stuff in each to be fresh.

Not to rain on the hate parade. I don't begrudge people their dislike of the game. Just wanted to correct the misconception.

EDIT: WOrth noting that GTA games have a ton more variety *in each title* than most other games do.

I loved GTA 3 when it came out, but I haven't been able to get into either of the sequels and I'll likely pass on the PSP version even though it's probably the best game on the system.

borghe

Ignatz Mouse said:
Serously, this is true for all sorts of genres. I played and loved a whole mess of 2D mario platformers, even though the experience changed only evolutionarily between games. It's for new levels, puzzles, and challenges, not just for new gameplay.
you are 1000000% correct. however you usually see sales dropoffs for those games, not increases.

though I think the mario platform games are a bad comparison. the transitions from SMB -> SMB2 -> SMB3 -> Mario64 were pretty damn drastic.

Red Scarlet

borghe said:
and that is like saying that each Final Fantasy has changed dramatically.. 7 had materia, eight had the combos or whatever, 9 had the card game, etc.. but at the end of the day you are selecting shit off of menus, doing turn based battles, rearranging equipment and enhancements, slotting summons, etc.

Well that depends..you do choose spells to learn via equipping Materia in 7, what spells to put into your 32 spell slots in 8, and then different equipment teaches specific spells/abilities to characters in 9. 7 and 8 do have restrictions in that there aren't enough slots for any character to have every Materia equipped in 7, and there are more than 32 spells in 8, so you can't equip every single one, and you can't alter what abilities/spells characters use in 9, but you can have every character learn everything that is possible in it, which you cannot do in 7 nor 8.

8 had the first card game though, and although the card game was not necessary to play in either game (except the tournament in 9), Triple Triad and Quad Mist/Tetra Master played pretty differently, and in 8 you could morph cards into items to get stuff earlier or at all; 9's card game had no real "prize" to playing it gamewise.

There is no equipment to rearrange in 8, however. No armor at all, just a Defense stat. 7 had a weapon slot, an armor (bracelet) slot, and an accessory slot, while 9 brought back helmets and shields in addition to the three slots in 7 that were reduced in 8 to just weapons.

Summons were slotted and had different effects in those games as well; in 7 they weren't necessary for a regular playthrough, and weakened party members HP and Strength stats. Plus they were kind of slow in all three games for a damage:time ration if you knew what you were doing. Summons were pretty much most important in 8, not to cast, but for the abilities that they gave to the one character that could equip the summon at a time, and you only had 4-6 ability slots to put abilities in. In 9, they were taught via mainly gems and only to Garnet and Eiko, and gained in power with more of the gems/items accumulated. But they aren't necessary to use in any of the games, so that is similar, although it was much more beneficial to find them all in part 8 over 7 and 9.

It all depends on what you are looking for, IMO. If people really like that 'the same 96%' in addition to that 'new 4%', why shouldn't they be excited? Is it truly bad to enjoy something and want more? This goes for all genres, not just rpg's. "Dramatic" varies from individual to individual.

borghe said:
you are 1000000% correct. however you usually see sales dropoffs for those games, not increases.

though I think the mario platform games are a bad comparison. the transitions from SMB -> SMB2 -> SMB3 -> Mario64 were pretty damn drastic.

Note: I restricted to 2D Marios.

And, US Mario 2 aside (which was not reallty a mario game) the changes were anything but drastic. 1 and 2 were the exact same engine, 3 introduced moving backwards and the tanooki suit, SMW introduced the cape (a variation on the tanooki suit) and revisiting worlds, and Yoshi. The parallels with the tanooki suit/cape and the aircraft in the GTA games pretty much makes the argument.

Yoshi's Island was the only major leap the series ever took. We'll see if the GTA after next takes a major leap, they'll be due.

borghe

Ignatz Mouse said:
Note: I restricted to 2D Marios.

And, US Mario 2 aside (which was not reallty a mario game) the changes were anything but drastic. 1 and 2 were the exact same engine, 3 introduced moving backwards and the tanooki suit, SMW introduced the cape (a variation on the tanooki suit) and revisiting worlds, and Yoshi. The parallels with the tanooki suit/cape and the aircraft in the GTA games pretty much makes the argument.

Yoshi's Island was the only major leap the series ever took. We'll see if the GTA after next takes a major leap, they'll be due.
actually between US1 and US3 you had the suit, scrolling backwards, selectable levels/worlds, battery backup, unlockables, storing/releasing items, etc.. it was a pretty severe change to how you played EVERY aspect of the game... more than just aircraft.

stone128

Bought and played all of the 3D versions, never finished any of them. I felt the basic game engine that was used in everything you do ... it felt 6.5/10 ish.

But I will keep on buying them, PS3 GTA polished and full of new ideas...

Red Scarlet

borghe said:
actually between US1 and US3 you had the suit, scrolling backwards, selectable levels/worlds, battery backup, unlockables, storing/releasing items, etc.. it was a pretty severe change to how you played EVERY aspect of the game... more than just aircraft.

SMB3 didn't have a battery..if yours did then can I trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom