• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Dakota Governor Orders Standing Rock evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
...and suspends emergency services to protesters.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ccess-pipeline-evacuation-order-standing-rock

order said:
Citing concerns about “harsh winter conditions” and the North Dakota Disaster Act of 1985, Dalrymple said on Monday that all persons at the camp are “ordered to leave the evacuation area immediately, and are further ordered not to return to the evacuation area”.

not by force said:
But Cecily Fong, spokeswoman for the North Dakota department of emergency services said, “We will not be using law enforcement or national guard to enforce the order.”

on some "voluntary deportation" shit said:
As part of his order, the governor said, the state will not guarantee the provision of emergency services in the “evacuation area”.

“The general public is hereby notified that emergency services probably will not be available under current winter conditions,” he wrote.

Protesters are scoffing at the order.

Douse me with water in freezing weather if old.

This whole situation is so unbelievably fucked.

Americans celebrated Thanksgiving not one week ago as if we weren't treating Native Americans like trash to this very day. Disgusting.

cress2000

I wish I was superhuman so I could remove every single piece of fucking awful human excrement responsible for this from power.

Geist-

The whole Standing Rock situation is such a colossal clusterfuck. I respect each and every protester for still fighting despite all of the efforts of those in power.

guek

Banned
With how likely it is that Trump will dismantle nearly all of Obama's legacy, his inaction at Standing Rock is probably what I'll remember most about his presidency. That and, you know, drone murders.

Lots and lots of drone murders.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Dalrymple is a fucking weasel and I despise him. The sheer amount of people in this state eating up every bit of propaganda from the cops and governor makes me feel crazy. It's awful.

Blizzard

Banned
I think it's likely that it's because no matter whatt he tries to do the pipeline will go ahead the second he's not in power.
Why would that stop him? Saying something might have no positive effect, but staying quiet definitely has no positive effect.

We're going to be reading about Standing Rock in history books someday, and Obama is sadly (and unsurprisingly) going to end up on the wrong side of it.

Chuckie

We're going to be reading about Standing Rock in history books someday, and Obama is sadly (and unsurprisingly) going to end up on the wrong side of it.

Probably a tiny footnote in history. It seems most people don't give a shit :(

catbird

Neo Member
I feel like I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't see how the pipeline is being built illegally. Nor do I see how it being built infringes on the native's rights.

That's not to say that the response to protestors has been reprehensible.

Most people I speak to are just anti-pipeline in general, the specific complaints about this pipeline don't seem to have a lot of evidence (e.g. the company purposefully left the tribe out of planning, did not search for cultural artifacts, that the pipeline will destroy their only source of water - none of that appears to be true when I looked into it, in particular the court documents that outline the timeline of the pipeline construction).

Media

I feel like I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't see how the pipeline is being built illegally. Nor do I see how it being built infringes on the native's rights.

That's not to say that the response to protestors has been reprehensible.

Most people I speak to are just anti-pipeline in general, the specific complaints about this pipeline don't seem to have a lot of evidence (e.g. the company purposefully left the tribe out of planning, did not search for cultural artifacts, that the pipeline will destroy their only source of water - none of that appears to be true when I looked into it, in particular the court documents that outline the timeline of the pipeline construction).

I mean, they bulldozed archeological sites and cultural sites waaaay before they were going to be building there for fear of being shut down. You don't think they are doing something shady?

pwnage2u

Banned
The protesters have done nothing but cause trouble here. Blocking main street in Mandan or blocking the entrance to the mall in Bismarck. I wish this would get settled already so we can all move on.

I think it's likely that it's because no matter whatt he tries to do the pipeline will go ahead the second he's not in power.

Given this has been going on for a great many months though, well before even the prospective notion of a Trump presidency even being a periphery thing, well...Obama isn't at all what he's puffed up to be by himself hankering for legacy at the cost of moral justice in the now or his Republican detractors.

notsol337

marked forever
I thought better of my post, because I don't have time at work to defend it.

I will say that issuing an order to evacuate the area because of "winter" is pretty dumb.

The protesters have done nothing but cause trouble here. Blocking main street in Mandan or blocking the entrance to the mall in Bismarck. I wish this would get settled already so we can all move on.
Oh I'm so so sorry about this inconvenience Its not like peoples livelyhood is in danger or something like that .....

Fuchsdh

I mean, they bulldozed archeological sites and cultural sites waaaay before they were going to be building there for fear of being shut down. You don't think they are doing something shady?

This entire pipeline issue is "shady" versus "illegal". The only illegal stuff that's probably gone down has been some of the reaction to the protests, but at best the natives have a moral righteousness cause, not any legal claim to stop it.

Is it true that the state government rerouted the pipeline away from the city & closer to Indian land, so that it's tribal waters, not city municipal waters , that will have to absorb the environmental cost of a potential leak from the pipeline?

Sounds like textbook environmental racism to me. Im familiar with these kind of practises in American inner cities.

Kthulhu

Perhaps you could help them so that the protests end.

Use Amazon. Your privileged problem has been solved.

You're welcome.

Fox Mulder

He doesn't care. He never stood up for anyone.

I wonder how privatized public school history books will view Obama in a few years.

Breads

Banned
In a just world our country would look back on this with great shame.

Anime avatar.

Is that all? You're lucky these protesters havnt followed the rebel militia model, strapped themselves up and caused an armed standoff, Bundy style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom