• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Did not expect to make it through this. Had three solid multi-day implosions, losing motivation, doubt taking hold, life bullshit getting in the way, wondering if I should really be spending so much time on this, etc. By Thanksgiving weekend I was 100% burned out, not too far below par but nowhere near the end of the story. Forced myself to finally start writing again Friday night, stayed up late, and...

St8NIgF.png

It's absolute garbage, but towards the end it started to click as I finally began to get a hold of what I was really going for. I haven't had a draft of anything in years, and I'm kind of excited to return to this later on and try another pass. Glad I forced myself into it. I was lucky to have a number of friends pestering me throughout, and I have one coworker in particular I really need to thank tomorrow. For the whole month, during any slow period at work, without fail, it'd be "wanna do a sprint?"

For now, though, never ever touching a fucking keyboard again,

wizwar3-13.png

Well done!

Delio

Another successful month :) Proud of all the winners and hey to the people that didn't finish you atleast wrote something! That is an important step in itself.

roknin

Final word count: 32,982.

I tried. :'(

Just burned out this month, and hit a couple of writer's block areas and then got busy towards the holiday.

On the bright side, it did give me a lot of material to work with for two projects.

Congrats to the winners! Hopefully will join you guys next year on the winning side. Gotta go for finish number three.

dramatis

My final word count was 25859.

Hit a block sometime halfway through the month when I had a split between wanting an antagonist versus exploring other issues. In the end I don't mind having done at around half though, because the writing process helped me think about what I need to focus on for the story.

Will go back to working out the details of the setting and characters and then rewrite.

Nezumi

Congratulation to all of the winners! You rock!

Still can't get enough of writing? Awesome! Get in here and join us in our bi weekly challenges!

Carlisle

Congratulation to all of the winners! You rock!

Still can't get enough of writing? Awesome! Get in here and join us in our bi weekly challenges!

Yes! I feel like I need a short break from this story to reset my perspective and this would be a good way to do it.

Speaking of which, is there a "I finished Nano but I'm still not done with my story and need the motivation to not quit" writing month thread? Or IFiNaBIStiNoDoWiMyStANeTMoTNoQuWriMo Cause I'm in for that. And then editing in NaNoEdMo. And then publishing in NaNoPubMo.

Kalentan

You know... Even though I failed this... I actually surprisingly got motivation to keep writing...

Essentially in my college, I needed 1 more upper division class (level 300+, so like 303, 410, etc classes), and despite being a Computer Science major, they told me it could be anything. At first I tried to get a class within my major but I was dumb and signed up late and all the classes were taken. So I extended my reach to English and saw a Fiction Workshop class. Problem? It required Creative Writing (a sub 300 level class) to take it. So I emailed the professor (whose a published writer herself) of the Fiction Workshop class and inquired that if I could send her a story, if I could simply skip Creative Writing and sign up for the Fiction Workshop. She agreed and I wrote up a new story (well not a complete one), and before I sent it to her, I actually sent it to my mother, who herself has taught English. She went over it and told me where there was parts where grammar was wrong or something wasn't clear but for the most part, the story (and it's grammer) didn't change all that much.

So I sent it to the Professor and after Thanksgiving break she contacted me back and said that my writing skills are great and that I could sign up for the class... So now that it happened and since my Mother (who always wanted to be a published author but never has the time due to other obligations), has now seen the story... She wants me to now actually finish it and actually try and get it published...

So what's the point in telling you guys this? Well... For the first time I sort of actually have that motivation to actually try and do it. I think it's something I've been missing, the motivation. Cause without it, my drive to write always goes strong but then falters... Hell for the first time I actually finished a story/chapter outline.

caski-3.gif

Congrats, your majesty!

Oops, I missed this! Thanks, Cyan. And thanks for doing this every year. Having the thread is what finally made me commit to trying NaNo, and waiting for a video game congratulations kept me going!

Good job to everyone. You're all superstars. I'll be eternally jealous of the people who have their graphs fitting so nice and neatly to the line! I'm almost embarrassed to post mine!

Scirrocco

wc: 9997

I knew i wouldn't make 50k, but i was hoping to do a little bit better. My goal was really just to sit down and write, and i didn't do well at that :( I just kept procrastinating.

Maybe next time.

I... really do not know my word count.

I've had some computer issues that took to killing my word processors after the first week, so it's scattered throughout a few different documents, most of which, as far as I know, do not provide one.

I'm just going to play it safe and guess I might be a little over 25,000 words. Which isn't too bad, seeing as I joined in for the purpose of getting something written down.

William

Anyone else getting a little bit of NaNoWriMo withdrawal?

I started noting down some ideas for stories to write today so hopefully I'll get started again.

Sadly I left my bag and notepad on a train today so my notes are in a train companies lost property system now, maybe there is a short story in that...

I started noting down some ideas for stories to write today so hopefully I'll get started again.

Sadly I left my bag and notepad on a train today so my notes are in a train companies lost property system now, maybe there is a short story in that...

Sort of, hahaha. I kind of want to write some more. Which I suppose is maybe the point.

Nezumi

No need for withdrawal. Just join us here

I'm the opposite, NaNo kinda left me feeling burnt out, trying to get back to my usual daily routine of getting some writing in and not worrying about numbers haha

I did, but all i did was write a simple summary, will probably get to writing this winter break.

Cyan

Banned
And here we are with November finally behind us. Took me a few days to recover there. :p

To our 2015 winners: congrats! You've reached the top! It takes guts to set a crazy goal like this and then see it through.

For those who didn't make it to the end, don't worry. Just going out there and setting the goal is big, and there's always next year. :) I'm really pleased to hear from a few people in this thread who didn't finish but found the process really valuable anyway. You guys are the best.

So what now?

Keep at it. Maybe put your current work aside for a while. Or maybe keep going with it, if you didn't reach the end of the story. You've developed a habit of writing every day (or almost every day amirite), and while you don't have to maintain the crazy speeds, it's an excellent habit to keep on with. Maybe write a hundred words a day. Or five hundred. Whatever works for you.

Maybe it's time to start a new project. Maybe while you were looking for ways to procrastinate during NaNo, you had some other novel ideas. Awesome! Go for it! Maybe you want to try some short stories. In that case, check out this thread and join us in biweekly short story challenges: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148877. We'd love to have you.

Or maybe you want to edit your novel. Maybe it's a giant mess and you want to make it readable so you can show your friends. This is fine, but I'd recommend sitting on it for at least a month. Getting a little distance helps a lot when editing. So again, see above. Maybe start a new project, and come back to edit this one after you've had some time.

But enough jabbering. Let's get to the results. We had 50 winners! Out of 108 participants, that's a huge win-rate. Well done, everyone!

NaNo-2015-Winner-Badge-Small-Square_zpsx4igdflo.jpg

Code:
William			93,362
Burbeting		90,300
joshcryer		80,804
petethepanda		69,115
pitcairn55		53,711
Aerocrane		53,651
toythatkills		53,069
Grimløck		52,618
UCBooties		52,112
Dandy Crocodile		51,907
tiggerkiddo		51,407
Aiii			50,921
EskimoJoe		50,829
Dedication Through Light	50,602
Dolla Dolla		50,585
Schlomo			50,548
Sorastitch		50,529
bengraven		50,528
YesNOnoNOYes		50,435
Delio			50,261
Cade			50,254
bakemono		50,195
bluepolicebox		50,166
Schlocky		50,145
Korigama		50,143
Gazoinks		50,121
Hop			50,116
ZeroRay			50,114
LegendX48		50,110
irriadin		50,092
Ward			50,086
Carlisle		50,077
Alur			50,075
Moonkid			50,073
kunu			50,072
GSR			50,060
The Scollard		50,058
Vagabundo		50,058
Narag			50,054
xeris			50,051
Timu			50,042
Nezumi			50,041
Karu			50,034
Evilisk			50,020
DumbNameD		50,011
Ourobolus		50,010
SmarterUnconscious	50,009
Ashes			50,004
BenjaminBirdie		50,000
Cyan			50,000

To all of our participants:
the_playing.png

Thank you for the playing, dudes! I always have a blast with you guys.

See you next year!

Cyan

Banned
Oh, almost forgot. There were questions about whether the hangouts will continue, with NaNo finished. The answer is yes, but they will be less frequent. The bi-weekly writing challenges have a hangout every other Sunday, during the challenge's writing period (the challenges have 10 days to write, 4 days to vote, and the voting period always falls across a weekend).

If you're interested in keeping on with hangouts, please follow the latest writing challenge thread, where reminders and links will be posted. While the hangouts will be mostly people working on the latest challenge, it is totally cool to show up and work on something else. The link will be the same, as well as the general format. Hope to see some of you there!

Ashes

Banned
Thank you for the playing, dudes! I always have a blast with you guys.

No... THANK YOU for playing.

cyan_tech.png

Showing technology who's boss since '07.

See everyone next year, hopefully. Ta.

4nvnJ.png
zZI5f.png
DvHtH.png
R7pMP.png
LDo2x.png
v5rMd.png
7JXms.png
4s9X7.png
KqLZU.png
d98ef.png
FEBtx.png
nZRRc.png

Next year I might even photoshop gaf onto that comic strip.

Cyan

Banned
Oh, almost forgot. There were questions about whether the hangouts will continue, with NaNo finished. The answer is yes, but they will be less frequent. The bi-weekly writing challenges have a hangout every other Sunday, during the challenge's writing period (the challenges have 10 days to write, 4 days to vote, and the voting period always falls across a weekend).

If you're interested in keeping on with hangouts, please follow the latest writing challenge thread, where reminders and links will be posted. While the hangouts will be mostly people working on the latest challenge, it is totally cool to show up and work on something else. The link will be the same, as well as the general format. Hope to see some of you there!

Following on to this, the regular writing challenge hangout is on in two hours. Check the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148877

No... THANK YOU for playing.

cyan_tech.png

Showing technology who's boss since '07.

<3

Will definitely do it again next year, assuming neogaf and Im still here in 2016.

Hopefully by then I can improve on descriptive writing, people get so lavish with their words :(

Did I miss regular writing challenges thread?

Cyan

Banned
Post-mortem: editing for NaNoWriMo

I mentioned a few times that rather than write a brand-new novel this year, I had decided to edit my NaNo from last year (a scifi novel that was about 100k words and had some serious structural issues). My reasoning was that NaNo is a tool to push you to do something you would otherwise put off. I don't have that problem so much with writing novels nowadays, but I absolutely have it with editing them later. I find any number of reasons to put it off or just not do it at all, the main one being that classic destroyer of willingness to work, "this is worthless and I shouldn't waste the time." And hey, that looks familiar. Isn't that the standard excuse that NaNo helps you blaze through? So I decided to go for it.

How did it go? Reasonably well. I spent the first week and a half or so reading through the whole novel, taking high-level notes, making a big old spreadsheet with the scenes, characters, places, events, etc. I tried to pick out what the underlying theme of it all was, to help guide me in what needed to stay or go, or what to emphasize. I tried to determine what the central spine of the novel was, the main plot around which the rest needed to revolve, for the same reasons. And I was surprised to find that the whole thing felt... salvageable. Substantial rewriting will be needed in the final third of the book, but besides that a great deal of it was going to be usable.

I spent the final two and a half weeks editing individual scenes while trying to keep the big picture in mind. Sometimes that meant just immediately deleting a scene. Sometimes it meant moving it. Sometimes it meant writing something brand new from scratch, filling a gap I had overlooked or just not wanted to fill at the time I wrote it. Sometimes it meant going through a scene, cleaning up incongruities and errors, removing notes to myself and fixing whatever the note was about, adding clues or foreshadowing or deleting stuff that was wrong: in short, what you'd think of as standard editing. These were the most fun.

I made it a little less than halfway through the book. Not bad given that the first week and a half I wasn't doing scene-by-scene edits, but it also means I haven't reached the really problematic part of the book. So maybe my feelings will change when I get there. But for now, I feel like this experiment was a success. I got stuck into something I'd been putting off for a long time, I got past some of the hard parts (rereading, cataloguing everything, analyzing the high-level stuff and making tough decisions about it), and while some of the hard parts are in the future, writing from scratch is something I already know how to do. So as far as that goes: fuck yeah.

Was this/is this a good use of NaNo? Yes and no. Yes for the reasons mentioned above: NaNo is a great vehicle for overcoming procrastination caused by fear of failure or avoidance of hard work. No in that NaNo is obviously geared more towards writing. I chose 50 hours of editing as my goal because it's a round number, and because since I typically write at 1000 words/hr for NaNo, it would result in the same amount of effort, or at least time spent. That was fine, but it turns out (surprise!) that the wordcount goal keeps you honest. It is really, really tempting while working on edits to go browse gaf or whatever. When you're writing 50k, that break means your wordcount has stopped moving, and the only way to get it going again is to get back to writing. Editing doesn't work like that, unless you're carefully pausing your timer every time you tab out of the window.

In future years, I think I'll go back to the standard writing 50k. Partly because of the above, partly because I felt a little bit left out of the fun without excerpts to post or characters and plots to wrestle with and ask for help on, and partly because now I think I can do this again without the impetus of NaNo.

Where do I go from here? If you're curious, here's the plan for this novel:
-finish current round of edits (probably another month or two)
-full read-through, second quicker round of edits focusing on stuff like foreshadowing, closure, fulfilling promises, hooks, chapter placement, etc (maybe a few weeks?)
-submit to my critique group and get their feedback (two months--we meet every other week, and I'll submit the novel in four chunks of ~25k. We've found this amount works really well for us when critting novels.)
-sit on it for a month or two, depending on how I feel after going through the group (I can be a little thin-skinned when being critted, and usually need to wait a bit before going back and addressing crits.)
-another round of editing for crits (and now we're in territory where I don't know what the timing will be like)
-find a few willing beta readers and send it out to them along with guidance of the sort of comments I want
-further edits based on beta comments
-further beta rounds as/if necessary
-final polish
-start querying agents

Yes, I'd like to eventually publish this novel. This might not be the one I hit with. It's too early for me to know how good it will be after all's said and done. But you can't learn without trying, so I'm going to go through the process. And in the meantime, I'll be working on my WIP novel (currently ~2/3 through), Open Source Magic. I'd sort of like to have two in the pipeline at a given time, one in edits and one in first-draft writing. We'll see what happens next!

bengraven

Hate to rez the thread, but again thanks to everyone in here for the support and comraderie through all of this. I wish I had been able to enjoy more hangouts, but internet connection issues prevented this. This was a very emotional November for me - my second bout of unemployment in several years, which of course made writing both easier and more difficult. Easier because I had the time, more difficult because I was under pressure to be spending that time looking for work. I made it work, despite some heavy moments with the wife, and ended up with 3/4s of a book to show.

Thanks again to Cyan for organizing everything as per usual and being the coach the entire GAF writing community has grown to rely on! I suspect you being thanked by several professional writers in your lifetime, hopefully myself being among them eventually.

As for the book, this is my third year (in four years of Nano) writing the same novel. I had an idea, of a wild west fantasy book, wizards and gunslingers, for years. I won my first Nano writing the book of a wizard who comes to town and causes issues for the local marshall and his sidekick, all the while facing a corrupt preacher. The problem was that while I loved the little town, it lacked a sort of epic feeling I wanted to start what would eventually be a series out with. I tried to write it again in the year that followed, changing some things (the marshall was now a young wealthy cowboy estranged from his ranching family, the villain was the actual town marshall), but blah.

The next Nano came with the idea that I'm stuck on - a traveling story, a trailblazer across the old Mormon trail with a group of cowboys and our wizard is brought into the mix as they are being stalked by supernatural enemies. I got halfway through that book and won again. But since then I read a lot of western/horror (hi Joe Lansdale), western/fantasy, western/sci-fi/punk (hi Mike Resnik) and wanted to change many of the details to make the story, hell the GENRE, more my own.

This Nano I re-wrote the entire story from the very very beginning, repeating several chapters, collapsing other chapters together, mixing the story. I got 3/4s of the way through with a more coherant, more exciting story but it's still not what I want. I'm going to heavily edit the shit out of it all and I'm fine with that. It won't be something you've read before. The book feels less like the "western mixed with..." feel of some novels and more of something that blends everything I've ever loved into a new form. It's like Neil Gaiman wrote a frontier novel version of Interview with a Vampire without vampires.

I won't be repeating the novel again next year. I will be finished with this book before then. And it will be damn good.

Carlisle

I've written maybe 250 words since Nano ended. I got maybe halfway through the story and have just let it drop. But revisiting this thread really puts me back into that mindset again and gets the juices flowing. It's great stuff, so thanks for being here!

Also, I noticed Ulysses for iPad is 50% off for the holidays. I have the Mac app, but have opened it maybe twice, preferring to use Scrivener. And my current project is well entrenched in the latter program. But it doesn't have an app, so I'm really tempted by Ulysses as I've often seen it compared to Scrivener. Anyone here use Ulysses Mac or iPad? Am I better off just sticking with Scrivener and copy pasting from the IA Writer app when I can't write from my computer?

Just threw up my NanoWriMo on Kindle... we'll see what happens. 94k words in the end.

Damn, all ready! Way to go! How easy/hard was it?

And don't leave us hanging! Post the link so we can support you dude.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
A friend of mine challenged me to rewrite mine for the new year. Crazy, but I have the nine days after Christmas off, and if I maintained pace for a full work day I'd have 72k by the end of that. So... at least, I'm looking at fleshing out the structure and worldbuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom