• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

And it is done! (The words... not the novel)

gNINHDR.png

Doing that last minute cram again, guys. Should make it, though. I've got nothing to do tomorrow. My girlfriend is as well, but she's much closer to her goal than I am. Oh well. Let's do it like we did last year, I suppose. Really fucking tired of my story, but I just need to keep working and not thinking about it and plan better next year.

Timu

go go go go
My novel is too violent even towards the end:

Destiny slashed Copper multiple times with her plasma swords but Copper ends her life by stabbing her in the heart and pulling it out of her. He then slams it to the floor and drills it with his plasma horn drills, creating a mess everywhere. Destiny drops dead afterwards.

“That'll teach you to wipe out everyone left in my dying army.” said Copper.

I'm gonna change it when I edit it later on, lol.

Ourobolus

Banned
That reminds me, I should post an excerpt.

As if he had just heard an incredible joke, Dhruv’s expression suddenly changed, and he began to laugh, his gruff voice echoing throughout the room. “Move? Son, you aren’t getting ten feet from this building. I have a gang of my men downstairs as we speak, and you can bet your ass they’ll be up here the moment you fire that weapon.”
Axel’s nerves began to fail as he realized his mission was on the verge of collapse. “I think you’re lying. Why else would you be back here, unarmed?”
“I simply forgot my weapon. But I’m not dumb enough to return all by myself.” Dhruv cracked his knuckles. “Still, it is impressive.”
“What is?”
“You. No one has ever managed to slip past my men before. What did you do up on Tan?”
“Professional thief.”
“Is that so? Well, how about this? I’ve got two options for you.”
“More of your fucking choices? What are they, die slowly or die quickly?”
“Ok, three options.” Dhruv laughed. “I give the word, and you’re fucked, boy. My men will do with you as they please. You may see the sunrise, but you sure as well won’t be enjoying it. On the other hand, maybe they’ll take pity on you and end it quickly. I don’t know, and I don’t fucking care. However...I could use someone like you.”
Axel raised an eyebrow, confused. “Ok…?”
“You see, the Enlightened have a bunch of...well, stuff. Technology, weaponry, equipment for making life a bit more convenient. I want it. They won’t come near us - with good reason, mind you - but I want it, and I need it. You go and retrieve some of it for me, and we’ll call it even. You’ll be one of us. No more field work, no living in the cages.” Dhruv held his arms out to his sides, exposing his torso. “Or you can shoot me, maybe even kill me, but I guarantee you won’t make it out of this building alive.” He smiled, testing Axel’s resolve.
The weapon shook in Axel’s hand. The proposition was tempting, but Dhruv was right - for the second time in as many days, his only options were to obey, or die.
“Shoot him!” Olivia screamed.
Dammit, Axel thought. Worst case, they both die. Best case, he worked for the Eiran Flame and Olivia went back to a life of sexual and physical torture.
“Olivia, come now. I certainly wouldn’t kill you. I enjoy the presence of your company far too much.” Dhruv chuckled, arms still raised. “Axel. Make your decision, or in five seconds I’m calling my men and making it for you.”
Defeated, Axel slowly lowered the pistol, tossing it on the bed sullenly. “Fine. You’ve got yourself a deal.”
“Splendid!” Dhruv exclaimed. “Now, I’m nothing if not a man of my word.” He turned to the stairwell, calling to his men, “Hoban! Jarrod! Get your asses up here!”
The two men hurried up the stairs, weapons at the ready. “What is it, Boss?”
“Take Axel to his new accommodations. Set him up in one of the empty homes and feed him a proper meal. He’s going to be working for us now.”
“Boss? Him?”
“Don’t make me repeat myself, Hoban.” Dhruv’s eyes turned to slits, threateningly.
“O-Ok!” Hoban stuttered. “You, come here!” He waved Axel over.
Axel took a step forward, then turned to Olivia. “Dhruv…”
“Yes?”
“She goes free, too.” Axel challenged him.
Dhruv shook his head. “I don’t think so, boy. You’re in no position to negotiate here.” Addressing Olivia, he said, “Now, Olivia, lie on the bed like a good girl. Once these scoundrels leave we’ll have some time to ourselves.”
Olivia shuddered, her eyes darting around the room, hoping for a means of escape - but none appeared before her. Dhruv advanced towards her, his arms open wide. “Come here, girl. I’m not going to kill you.”
Unable to find any other avenue, Olivia snatched the gun from the bed and pointed it at Dhruv. “I can at least kill you.”
“And what good would that do? You don’t think my second-in-command wouldn’t like to have you by his side, too? You think you’re going to be able to escape this? No, no...you’re in this for the long haul, baby.” Dhruv continued walking, causing Olivia to retreat slowly. “Have you ever fired a weapon before? I don’t even think you could hit me at this distance with you shaking like that.”
“I...I…” Olivia sputtered, her finger tightly gripping the trigger. The pistol swayed in her arms, making her unable to maintain her bead on Dhruv.
“And you only get one shot, you know. If you miss, I’m going to tie your ass to the goddamn bed and you will never, ever see the walls outside this building ever again. Hell, you’ll be lucky to catch a glimpse of the stairs whenever I open the fucking door.” Dhruv stopped, a single meter separating the two of them. “Give me the weapon, and let’s go back to what we had before all of this nonsense. I forgive you.” He held out his hand.
“You...forgive...me? Me?” Her fear suddenly turned to anger, fire erupting from her eyes as she echoed his words, every syllable like a knife plunging into Dhruv’s chest. “Ha!” She began to giggle maniacally. “You know, you’re right. Even if I kill you, the next one will just take me, hold me down, and fuck me, just like you. Day in, day out.”
“I see you finally grasp the situation,” Dhruv said, beckoning her to hand over the weapon.
“But you’re also right about one other thing.” Olivia said, a strange calm washing over her voice.
“Oh? What’s that?”
Olivia placed the barrel of the weapon to her temple, saying, “I only get one shot.” She pulled firmly on the trigger, a loud crack splitting through the room as the bullet exited from the other side of her skull, spraying the rear wall of the room in crimson. Her body crumpled to the floor, blood pouring out from the exit wound, pooling around her lifeless form. Dhruv barely flinched, instead watching intently as she fell, his stare going over every inch of her body, like a child, fascinated.
Axel tried to scream in horror, but his voice just wasn’t there. A wheeze emanated from his throat, his eyes wide with dread. He too was watching her fall, but he couldn’t shake the notion that she was a living, breathing, talking being only a moment before. And now she was gone.
“Hmph,” Dhruv scowled, lightly nudging the body with his foot. “Pity. Well, there are always more.” He turned to Axel, who stood there, mouth agape. “What are you gawking at? You’ve got work to do tomorrow. Get your ass out of here!”
Hoban and Jarrod each grabbed one of Axel’s arms and dragged him out of the room, his strength having left him from witnessing Olivia’s death.
As they pulled him down the stairs, Dhruv called to them, “Jarrod, once you drop Axel off, go find Yolanda and bring her here!”
“Yes, sir!”

Just a question for people. I don't know if I should put this here or the writing thread. What price does Scrivener usually go for, since I'm trying to figure out whether using my NaNo coupon for 50% off will be cheaper than getting it now when its 25$.

Also, here's a snippet.

He saw a German jump down to the blimp they had just left, rolling as he landed. Well, he thought, that answered his question. Lily turned and fired, but the click of her pistol told them her weapon was empty. Another German jumped from the tower, landing on their blimp. The whole group of them were to moving onto the zeppelins. The German on their blimp pulled out his handgun. Philip rushed towards him, briefcase in hand. He swung the case, smacking the German and knocking him to the side. The German fell to the floor, and to the man’s horror, started sliding off the zeppelin. His hands unable to find anything to grip on and slow his descent, he screamed as fell to his death. Philip grabbed his gun, and tossed it to Lily. She took the other German out, leaving his body lying limp on the top of the zeppelin.

More and more Germans were jumping down; some jumping to blimps that were close, some to blimps that were further away. Philip noticed the blimp they were now on was connected to another one, this one further out, by a rope. It looked thick enough, and was pulled tight enough, that it could be walked over.

“Lily,” he yelled, “over the rope. Let’s move.”

Just then, he heard another German drop down beside him. Philip turned to face him, but instead felt the German’s fist strike him across the face. He felt the briefcase drop from his hand. A red spray erupted from the German’s head as Lily shot him. Philip glanced down, and saw the briefcase beginning to slide off the blimp.

Philip lunged towards it, he saw. He grabbed the briefcase, catching it by the handle, until he noticed that he was sliding off the blimp as well. He tumbled across the tarp that covered the blimp, heading quickly towards the point where he could no longer save himself. He reached his hand up and backwards, and managed to stab his knife into the blimp. Slowing down to a halt in an instant, he hung there, lying on the outside of a blimp, several hundred metres over the streets of Paris, clutching a knife in one hand, and the briefcase in the other. He realized he wasn’t on too sharp an incline, and pulled himself back up using the knife, once again pocketing his saviour. Lily was there to lend him a hand, and together, they headed towards the rope.

WC:34918

Probably just gonna stay up all night and finish this. I really, really, really wanted to do better on procrastinating this year. But I did worse. Oh well! Better luck on that next year. For now, I just have to focus on writing more.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just a question for people. I don't know if I should put this here or the writing thread. What price does Scrivener usually go for, since I'm trying to figure out whether using my NaNo coupon for 50% off will be cheaper than getting it now when its 25$.

Also, here's a snippet.

I believe it's normally $40 for Windows and $45 for Mac, so 50% from that.

Moonkid

wc: 50,073

Oh my word I actually did it haha. I almost didn't even bother finishing it, but I trucked on and managed to pump it out. I'm so glad I did it despite my exams, I can't imagine this November without having had something to occupy myself with besides study.

Thanks guys, it took a lot to do this, even with all the messy wording, lack of editing in the last 20k words and such, but boy that was something else.

Next year should be easier and more fun for me since no more Copper stories!!!

OH YESSSSSSSS YOU DID IT!

*dances*

GO YOU~

AND GRATS THE SCOLLARD TOO ^________^

Ashes

Banned
WC:34918

Probably just gonna stay up all night and finish this. I really, really, really wanted to do better on procrastinating this year. But I did worse. Oh well! Better luck on that next year. For now, I just have to focus on writing more.

THIS.

Cyan

Banned
wc: 50,073

Oh my word I actually did it haha. I almost didn't even bother finishing it, but I trucked on and managed to pump it out. I'm so glad I did it despite my exams, I can't imagine this November without having had something to occupy myself with besides study.
biomiracle-6_zpsaa0ef2de.png

Congrats!

Timu

OH YESSSSSSSS YOU DID IT!

*dances*

GO YOU~

AND GRATS THE SCOLLARD TOO ^________^
*hugs*

Yep, it took a lot of effort just to write for the hell of it, lol.

Now I can work on my teen comedy for next year's Nano which will be fun and hell I could finish that one a lot faster!

I wish I had the kind of self control that would enable me to do NaNo the way I do it now, only backwards. Like, I want to start off with three days of just nonstop writing. Then, when those three days are over, and I feel like shit, I've done like 30,000 words. Then, I can just start showing up every other day or so, taking my time until finally, on the 30th, I write 1700 words and feel great about myself.

WC:40069

Ashes

Banned
eskimojoe said:
WC: 50054
one of these days i'll have a normal graph. one of these days. I wish I had the kind of self control that would enable me to do NaNo the way I do it now, only backwards. Like, I want to start off with three days of just nonstop writing. Then, when those three days are over, and I feel like shit, I've done like 30,000 words. Then, I can just start showing up every other day or so, taking my time until finally, on the 30th, I write 1700 words and feel great about myself.

That actually sounds like a great idea. Oh well. Maybe next year.

WC: 50054
one of these days i'll have a normal graph. one of these days.

Looks pretty normal to me.

Congrats. You is awesome.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
WC: 48815

Only one real scene left to write, and it's not gonna be that long. Rest will have to go in the pseudo-epilogue.

Can't believe I'm almost done.

William

WC: 88097

Last morning writing session of Nano! might be my last word count update, but I am going to try to get some more done later on after work, to put an ending in place.

HORRORSHØW

congrats to all the winners! and wow at those approaching 100K words. really amazing. i burnt out hard after the 50K. i just got around to reading what i wrote and damn, i went to some weird and dark places.

oh, and i updated nano with a final word count of

WC: 52618

xeris

WC: 46735

Finally got home tonight. Wasn't able to write as much as I had planned but got more than I was afraid I might. About a full day behind but I have all day tomorrow to catch up. Getting to a tricky part of the ending so I may start a short story I have in the back of my mind to get some of the words if I start getting bogged down.

Excerpts from the last few days:

Sergei was making eggs at this point.
"Almas will see you but we must leave now."
"What did Vadislav say?"
"What?"
"You had plenty of time to call both of them just now. And I know that you're keeping tabs on me for him. There is no way you didn't tell him I was demanding to see Almas."
Gennedy looked deflated but said nothing.
"So, who is my meeting really with. If you lie to me I will gut you with this spatula and have sausage with my eggs."
"Vadislav" Gennedy mumbled.
"Get him on the phone now" Sergei growled.

Later at his meeting with Almas:
I bet you knew or guessed Vacitrek wasn’t well and with Dimitri’s age he wouldn’t be around much longer. That said, you needed a way out of Adalet’s trap. I think you were going to use me. I won’t pretend to know all the details. I’m pretty sure I might have even been expendable to you at that point. But if I’m even close to right I think I can still help. More importantly I want to help. I could give you a million reasons why, but the biggest is I’m fucking sick of Adalet.”

Grimløck;187253808 said:
congrats to all the winners! and wow at those approaching 100K words. really amazing. i burnt out hard after the 50K. i just got around to reading what i wrote and damn, i went to some weird and dark places.

oh, and i updated nano with a final word count of

WC: 52618

WC: 50195

I did it!
Not proud of my writing this year, but at least I finished Nano.

CONGRATS! well done grimmy and bakemono!!!!!!!

YOU ARE VERY WIN~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom