• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

WC: 31127

I need to do yet another 10k tomorrow to have a chance now. Hell, I'm not even editing my novel, I'm just writing anything really so it's a mess to read and edit, lol.

WC: 46788

Starting on my action scene. Here's a snippet:

Just at that moment, a group of Germans came running down the street towards the station. The leader of the group seemed to slow down, as his gaze was directed right at them. Philip’s eyes widened as their eyes locked together. The two of them being right outside of the station made them extremely suspicious, and the German leader seemed to realize this. He pointed towards them, and shouted out something in German, and continued running. Philip realized that that couldn’t be good.

“We need to move,” Lily yelled, as she grabbed his arm, pulling him away from the Germans.

The shock of being found out having worn off, they ran. They managed to dart around a building the moment the gunfire started.

“Where are we going?” he asked Lily, feeling his head instinctively duck itself down in order to avoid a bullet whizzing past.

“I don’t know,” she said, “Any ideas?”

His feet clambered across the cobbled streets; the briefcase ever so slightly throwing off his balance. “We could try heading across the Champ de Mars, and move westward. Try to lose them there.”

Lily ducked her head like he had done earlier. “Sounds like a plan then.”

They cut into the giant park. The lush green grass contrasted with the grey cement path that ran through it. They hurried through the park, the Germans close on their tail. Moving towards the west end, by the tower, they watched as the chaos they were causing erupted around them. People who were spending the day there began screaming as German bullets began to cut into them. The Nazis didn’t seem to care that they were too far away for their guns to be accurate, they just fired towards the two spies, not caring about the innocents in the way. Philip and Lily jumped over a dead man lying on the ground. He was still breathing, but his shirt was stained red with blood. The gurgle they heard they moved away from him told them he didn’t have a chance. Behind them, Philip heard the Nazi captain barking more orders to his men as they continued running forward, firing as they went.

To his horror, Philip’s breath seemed to be gradually leaving him as he raced around the Champ de Mars. He and Lily passed under the huge bushy branches of the giant trees that surrounded the park, giving them some cover. Using one of the paths, they passed through the main stretch of grass that cut through the park from the centre of the Eiffel Tower to the École Militaire. They ducked underneath some more giant trees, and stayed on their course. As they ran up the Champ, the Eiffel Tower seemed to get larger and larger as they moved towards it.

What do you guys think?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
WC: 44077

Gotta manage 2k a day from here on out, but, it's the home stretch. I can do this.

Moonkid

wc: 37,893

So after blocking Gaf on my computer I thought I'd magically become more productive, but alas over a good few days of not really studying but not writing either, I'm a bit behind. I'm on my holidays now, woohoo, so I'm confident I can finish on time. I need to reach 40,000 today in order to give myself enough space to write 5k for the remaining two days and I should be done. I'm so glad I did it this year, can't believe I've written so much and it's cool seeing people here close in on that 50k as well as surpass it.

edit: 41,076 words. I could crack on but I wanna call it a night and get it done in the morning where I function better. Never give up!

LegendX48

WC: 46026

Gonna finish this mofo tomorrow for sure. The story has pretty much ended, all that's left is a some reunion talking stuff and some goodbyes.

William

WC:81827

I really want to be done with this story already! Ending it feels way harder than it was to start it, like Im dragging everything out. But I also dont want to leave it a total mess, or jump past stuff Ive been planning.

WC: 48295

Plan on finishing today. And then my Fallout 4 download should be done.

Not planning on finishing the actual story, since I'm not sure exactly how it all fits in the end. I might skip to my next project and come back to this on Jan 1. (Or earlier if I finish my next project early. It's illustrated YA so it might not need to break 20000.)

Watched the End of the Tour yesterday figuring it would really push me towards the finish line but I was just so devastated at the end that it really took the wind out of my sails. It's so hard being an authentic writer, man. ;_;

Timu

Yet another day to write mindlessly and not edit...it's hilarious that I do better without editing this time vs all that editing I did in the last 2 Nanos.

Cyan

Banned
Day 27 done and dusted. toythatkills still sitting at 49,999, SMH, followed by BenjaminBirdie and Rayen.

11 people ahead of the benchmark. This is it you guys, the big finish! Speak now or forever hold your peace! Three more days including today. Hangouts today and tomorrow. You got this.

Benchmark for today is 46,667!

LegendX48

WC: 50110

YES! Eight chapters and tons of steps I didn't intend to take but did for this first draft and it's finally done, the story is complete and ready for the eventual script conversions and rewrites lol

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50110

YES! Eight chapters and tons of steps I didn't intend to take but did for this first draft and it's finally done, the story is complete and ready for the eventual script conversions and rewrites lol

culturejustice_zps2a421c7e.png

Conglaturation !!!

Ashes

Banned
WC: 40413

Grr... Getting really frustrated with the world. Always wants my time. Like I'd really like to just sit and finish this as soon as possible now. But ahhh... Just everyone seems to be needing me right now. Take me there. Do this for me please. Do that. Please help with this thing. That thing.

Nezumi

WC: 40413

Grr... Getting really frustrated with the world. Always wants my time. Like I'd really like to just sit and finish this as soon as possible now. But ahhh... Just everyone seems to be needing me right now. Take me there. Do this for me please. Do that. Please help with this thing. That thing.

Just tell the world that they can fuck themselves?

Edit: Also, you are only like 3000 words behind me. You can totally do this!

Just crossed the finish line!

WC: 50,001

I literally stopped mid-sentence last night, just to annoy Cyan even further. "... and that was what"

Still writing for now though. I'm not far from the end barring my character wandering off somewhere else and something unexpected happening.

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I've been there. Sometimes life would be so much better if one could just be an asshole, right?

God. So true.Speaking as a former outright dickhead, now lesser so, I think yeah, Life is so much easier when you don't care.

Also. Go You 43K! woot!

Cyan

Banned
Just crossed the finish line!

WC: 50,001

I literally stopped mid-sentence last night, just to annoy Cyan even further. "... and that was what"

Still writing for now though. I'm not far from the end barring my character wandering off somewhere else and something unexpected happening.

crystal16.gif

At last the people's despair has ended! Congrats!

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in a bit under half an hour. Quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

It's ok to come in a bit late. If we're all on mute, that means you should be writing!

At last the people's despair has ended! Congrats!

Thanks =)

WC: 50272

Intended to write a lot more than this tonight but I can't even keep my eyes open. Going to aim for around 800 words a day until this shit's done, if I can, managed a massive 273 today.

William

Gonna get to 40k soon through messy writing!!!

Messy writing is what got me through! I have to say, I tried last year and I failed because I had an idea of what my novel was going to be, a picture in my brain of a perfect noir mystery, and as soon as I started I was failing at my own vision. This year I took approach of making my mind up as I went, quantity over quality. Also I turned off the little red line that appears under spelling mistakes.

I dont think I would want anyone to read my Nanowrimo novel, but Im so happy I have produced it (well, almost, its not finished yet).

DumbNameD

WC: 46825

Probably the first day that I felt I had my head above water for this. Just a general disconnect with either the writing itself or the writing process. Probably explains why it took 28 days to finally hit upon that grand idea about which I should have been writing. Gonna aim for 47500 if I can muster it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom