• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50195

I did it!
Not proud of my writing this year, but at least I finished Nano.

bakedmonkey!

baseload3-1_zps78c981ad.gif

Congrats!

Vagabundo

45k still going. I've a little bit momentum today - which Ive been lacking the last few days, deadline are wonderful things.

The last day. Some encouragement from my wife. Its been a very difficult month on a personal level and finding time and will to write has been very challenging. Why does all the shit wait for November to happen?

Just a few more hours for a final push and I hope I'll report back here with good news.

Burbeting

Banned
ooh, exciting, the chance to steal the top spot is too much to pass up!
I got a few more words done at lunch time and Ill see if I can sneak in some this afternoon at work.

Congratulations to all the new winners today!

Man, should I finally crank up some extra too.

William

WC: 93362

I wish I could write some more but I have to go out for the evening now, dont expect Ill get any more words done before midnight UK time. Sadly I didnt finish my story, but Im not done with it Ill try to polish it off this week.

Well this has been a fun ride writing all month and sharing this thread with everyone, thanks to everyone for being part of it, and to Cyan for the thread and the updates.
I'm going to try to keep it up, as it turns out writing is fun! Good luck to everyone still tapping away and congratulations to all the winners!

Cyan

Banned
TheFinalDay.jpg

(well, less than that, but you get the idea)

Ourobolus, Dandy Crocodile, Nezumi, The Scollard, Timu, Moonkid, Narag, DumbNameD, bakemono, and Karu have all joined the winner's circle! Well done!

Dedication Through Light sits atop the leaderboard with 49,566, followed by Hop and Alur. And... they are also the only people still ahead of the benchmark. ;) Don't worry, you guys got this. That is some serious consistency.

The benchmark for today is 50,000! You can do it!

I was supposed to have the day off today but I ended up getting called in to work. Every spare moment I get, I'm typing NaNo stuff in to my phone so I can copy it over when I get home. Just a few thousand words to go!

Alur

Job done!

Writing about a Lost-style plane crash where the characters were regularly met with polar bear and smoke monster style events every other chapter was pretty easy. Lots of action. Was fun, 10/10 would do again.

Wrote an ending!

WC: 53069

I kind of like the journey from beginning to end but it definitely needs a lot of work. Some stuff I said at the beginning doesn't make sense at the end because of how stuff changed as I was writing it, etc. Will take a break first.

Cyan

Banned
Job done!

Writing about a Lost-style plane crash where the characters were regularly met with polar bear and smoke monster style events every other chapter was pretty easy. Lots of action. Was fun, 10/10 would do again.

roller-3.gif

Congrats!

Carlisle

Less than 1K to go. 4.5 hours left until midnight on the east coast. It's within sight. I don't know how I always manage to push things to the last minute. I thought hey, here's a month-long project, no way I'll cut it that close with something like this. Sure enough, I found a way.

Won't count the chickens just yet. Gonna keep the momentum burning. So close!

xeris

Done da done done DONE!

iu5uRIl.png

I did end up having to do my short story to finish up. Overall I'm pretty happy that I won again finally. Now to figure out the family tree of my main characters and write the ending. Probably not till January unless I get ambitious.

WC: 51907

Wrote a bit more during the final sprint tonight. I have an ending in mind now,but it's still a ways away so it'll be something to pick at on my own if I can find the motivation. :p

Korigama

WC: 50143

I did it...I actually did it. So very, VERY relieved. The story itself is still unfinished, but it feels good to have actually won this time.

junebigsmile1.gif

WC: 50829

I did it. It was painful, but I did it. I think I literally wrote 1/3 of the novel in one day. Which means, if I did that every day, I could write half a million words!
Still, time to validate and go to bed. I'm 2/2 on NaNo now. Nothing stops this train.

Alright reached 50K. Plot wise its just 1/3 done but Ill probably continue it. I struggled to recovered after my midmonth trip out west, so I was always at or near benchmark levels.

CVHSc9WWoAE_rQt.png:large

Novel: Fallen: A Kei Tsukishima Novel
Genre: Fanfiction [Haikyuu!!]

In middle school, Kei Tsukishima had it all, excellent grades, excellent social skills, and popularity that would make anyone want to be around him. When you wanted something done you went to him. Homework, he could help you easily ace it immediately. Studying, he would make you instantly understand any challenging subject. Feeling down, then talk to Kei and he would say just the right things to make you feel like you're the best. Kei was who everyone dreamed to be.

Now that Kei has enrolled at high school, he has realized that he is missing something vital that everyone around him had. Tired of feeling like an outcast, he has given himself rules to guide his high school life. These rules, he hoped, would enable him to be the person he has always dreamed of being, one with actual friends and a normal social life. Struggling between being his usual self and being the perfect person he managed to be has been hard. Fortunately on the first day of implementing his plan he met Shouyou Hinata, a bright cheerful unique character who brought him bountiful joy. However, this was threatened by seemingly impossible circumstances happening back to back, going against the very laws of nature. Kei and Shouyou, through sheer strength, willpower, and dedication, and friendship battle the odds to right wrongs, stamp out evildoers, and return Karasuno to how it is supposed to be.

Cyan

Banned
Done da done done DONE!

iu5uRIl.png

I did end up having to do my short story to finish up. Overall I'm pretty happy that I won again finally. Now to figure out the family tree of my main characters and write the ending. Probably not till January unless I get ambitious.

blastermast-9.gif

Very thanks!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50829

I did it. It was painful, but I did it. I think I literally wrote 1/3 of the novel in one day. Which means, if I did that every day, I could write half a million words!
Still, time to validate and go to bed. I'm 2/2 on NaNo now. Nothing stops this train.

caski-3.gif

Congrats, your majesty!

Valhelm

contribute something
I might actually try one for December. This morning I thought of a short, straightforward novel about a misanthropic, well-read Russian youth who bumbles his way across the Old West after being exiled from Alaska, with the sole talent of knowing how to not be killed in sticky situations.

The book would be set sometime in the 1850s, all across California and the mountain states. I want the kid to somehow find himself riding with bandits, joining the US Cavalry, and falling in with an Indian band due to his knack for survival.

My goal is to do kind of a magical realism thing, set in the United States. I'm hoping to mimic the style of pre-20th century Westerns and portray the Old West as a land as alien and mystical as Skyrim.

My girlfriend finished, too. So now we're a couple of writers, with three novels between us. Maybe next year we can sucker another one of our friends into our crazy scheme.
Her story is so much better than mine, though. It isn't even funny. Like, cool idea, well thought out, better characters, cool setting, and she procrastinated faaaaaar less than I did.

If I've learned one lesson from this year's NaNo it's that I need to spend the next year thinking of better ideas. This year I didn't have anything new ready, so I just took a second shot at the story I did the year before. It was okay, but it's just made me realize that I'm so over my original story idea. On to something new next year, I think.

Did not expect to make it through this. Had three solid multi-day implosions, losing motivation, doubt taking hold, life bullshit getting in the way, wondering if I should really be spending so much time on this, etc. By Thanksgiving weekend I was 100% burned out, not too far below par but nowhere near the end of the story. Forced myself to finally start writing again Friday night, stayed up late, and...

St8NIgF.png

It's absolute garbage, but towards the end it started to click as I finally began to get a hold of what I was really going for. I haven't had a draft of anything in years, and I'm kind of excited to return to this later on and try another pass. Glad I forced myself into it. I was lucky to have a number of friends pestering me throughout, and I have one coworker in particular I really need to thank tomorrow. For the whole month, during any slow period at work, without fail, it'd be "wanna do a sprint?"

For now, though, never ever touching a fucking keyboard again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom