• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2010 NPD Predictions - Closes December 5th

Given the press releases by all 3 companies the week after black friday, why do they even bother to wait for NPD to post positive sales results anymore? Its unlikely that NPDs first report will have numbers for anything outside of GT5, BLOps, and Assassins Creed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Given the press releases by all 3 companies the week after black friday, why do they even bother to wait for NPD to post positive sales results anymore? Its unlikely that NPDs first report will have numbers for anything outside of GT5, BLOps, and Assassins Creed.
Actually, NPD's first report will have numbers for nothing.

We eventually get stuff though.

FrankT

Gadfly said:
3 PM can't come soon enough.

Still 6:30 is it not? 4 for the press I think;

NPD Release: December 9th @ 4 p.m. EST (thread posted ~6:30 p.m. EST)

jamesinclair said:
I think Wii will win.

The fact that MS and Sony didnt release black friday numbers is telling. I doubt they;re saving it for a surprise.

Could go either way. Kind of like last year when everyone assumed PS3 was ahead for Nov based on Black Friday week. Personally, I believe 360 had the better first three weeks and may have been very close to Wii numbers for BF week. So could be tight and I have them pretty much tied. The overall average has them at 17k difference. Either way should be fun. I also think it is very possible Greenberg had the numbers as of that posting (Tuesday night) as they have been known to have the numbers as early as Monday/Tuesday during the week. Not sure if NPD gives client numbers that early anymore.

FrankT

operon said:
They did last year

Not numbers they didn't. Simply PR, double the last week and best week of the year, which people estimated on. I know they did well better than last year during BF. Sony however did provide a hard number for the week last year.

Ok, here's something strange.

Monday, the local (Belgian) free paper when you travel by train gave a report on November NPD results. They said that the 360 had sold either 1.1 or 1.3 million consoles and that sales were up something like 33%, while the PS3 had gone down in sales by 20% and the Wii by 23%, or something like that.

Eeeh, how's that possible? Did the newspaper get the whole thing completely wrong? Are the numbers out there already but gaf is not allowed to talk about it? ...

(!!! The numbers are at the top of my memory. the exact numbers and percentages might be a bit different, but the overall order is correct.)

FrankT

Souldriver said:

Monday, the local (Belgian) free paper when you travel by train gave a report on November NPD results. They said that the 360 had sold either 1.1 or 1.3 million consoles and that sales were up something like 33%, while the PS3 had gone down in sales by 20% and the Wii by 23%, or something like that.

Eeeh, how's that possible? Did the newspaper get the whole thing completely wrong? Are the numbers out there already but gaf is not allowed to talk about it? ...

(!!! The numbers are at the top of my memory. the exact numbers and percentages might be a bit different, but the overall order is correct.)

Sounds like numbers based on an analyst estimate. They maybe out for clients, but some random paper like that wouldn't have them yet.

Kind of like this;

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8673029a-0235-11e0-aa40-00144feabdc0.html#axzz17ceZA0xS

Jtyettis said:
Sounds like numbers based on an analyst estimate. They maybe out for clients, but some random paper like that wouldn't have them yet.
Exactly. I was really surprised by the article. I thought to myself "how did I miss the NPD November thread on gaf? Surely it would be on the top of the thread list for days!".

Pretty shitty journalism if they portray some analysts predictions as actual sales.

operon

Jtyettis said:
Not numbers they didn't. Simply PR, double the last week and best week of the year, which people estimated on. I know they did well better than last year during BF. Sony however did provide a hard number for the week last year.

I still think there fucking with us, and going to have a big smile after the results get leaked

Souldriver said:

spits or metro?

And yes I'll bet its the annalist nr's.

Hammer24

Banned
Client numbers are out since monday - but I can´t see a small european paper get their hands on them, and publish them early.

Kafel

Banned
I don't think the 360 will be first in November.

Even if the Wii didn't get a good "casual" holiday title, they can't have lost that much steam.

Dunlop

Kafel said:

Even if the Wii didn't get a good "casual" holiday title, they can't have lost that much steam.

It will be close, but the Wii has definately lost a lot of steam (or do you just mean for black friday?)

Hammer24

Banned
Kafel said:

Maybe its not a question of the Wii losing steam, as their holiday numbers are usually excellent. Maybe its just a question of the 360 gaining more steam? Kinect effect?

The figures just about fit - if the 360 was up 33% on last year's Nov figures, it would be around the 1.1 million figure. If so, Wii is at just shy of 1 million, and PS3 will be around 570k.

Hammer24 said:
At the heels of GT5, this number would be extremely low. Don´t see that.

Why? GT5 didn't hit until the very end of this reporting period, IIRC, and there's no indication from the only other territory we have figures for (Japan) that it's having a huge impact on hardware sales.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Well noting about the nr's in the .be page of the metro :O

http://www.metrotime.be/digipapernl.html?pag=12&kdate=
http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...iPaper/nl/20101208/15/MVLMP-0-20101208-15.pdf
OR
http://www.metrotime.be/digipaperArticlenl.html?storyId=38455114

It was the newspaper of yesterday (odd that I thought it was earlier this week).

ay69m.jpg

Edit: it used the Wedbush analysis:
- 360 sells 1.08 million consoles, up 31%
- DS down with 16%
- PS3 down 8%
- Wii down 23%

Dynoro

Hammer24 said:
At the heels of GT5, this number would be extremely low. Don´t see that.
I thought we were past the point where individual games had any large bearing on console sales given the age of this console generation

Kafel

Banned
not NPD numbers : /

Dynoro said:
I thought we were past the point where individual games had any large bearing on console sales given the age of this console generation

but what about accessories ?

Hammer24

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Why? GT5 didn't hit until the very end of this reporting period,

Thats rather irrelevant. Huge franchises, especially when they are that long awaited, are very very frontloaded.

and there's no indication from the only other territory we have figures for (Japan) that it's having a huge impact on hardware sales.

Every big game sells hardware. Thats proven time and time again. If these numbers (<600k) would indeed be true, that´d mean that even with the GT5 hw bump, PS3 would be on a steep decline - and in bad need of a price cut. I just don´t see this.

Hammer24

Banned
Dynoro said:

Always have, always will. They´ll not be as easy to spot, as other effects are in play too.

Dynoro

Kafel said:
not NPD numbers : /

but what about accessories ?
Accessories can (and have done) especially when they bring a whole new segment of the market to the system. I don't believe a single game can do that though; especially this many years in to the lifecycle.

Hammer24 said:
Thats rather irrelevant. Huge franchises, especially when they are that long awaited, are very very frontloaded.

...and has nothing to do with discussion of hardware.

Every big game sells hardware. Thats proven time and time again. If these numbers (<600k) would indeed be true, that´d mean that even with the GT5 hw bump, PS3 would be on a steep decline - and in bad need of a price cut. I just don´t see this.

That's far from "proven time and time again", but even if it were the case it's readily observable that some games have far more impact than others and in the case of a game like GT5, there's a chance that a huge part of the audience waiting for it already had a PS3 (thanks to Prologue and the length of time the console has been on the market, coupled with price drops and redesigns) and we're not going to see a significant bump.

Dynoro

Hammer24 said:
Always have, always will. They´ll not be as easy to spot, as other effects are in play too.
How much did the PS3/360/Wii jump in sales with the last few major exclusives for example? As I was under the impression that this was no longer the case in the US

Hammer24

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
...and has nothing to do with discussion of hardware.

?? Maybe I got you wrong, but didn´t you say there were only a couple of days of GT5 sales counted?

That's far from "proven time and time again", but even if it were the case it's readily observable that some games have far more impact than others and in the case of a game like GT5, there's a chance that a huge part of the audience waiting for it already had a PS3 (thanks to Prologue and the length of time the console has been on the market, coupled with price drops and redesigns) and we're not going to see a significant bump.

Thats kinda like the we-wont-see-a-bump-as-every-fanboy-has-a-360-already discussion.
This generation is far from the saturation point. Big franchises tend to be the tipping point for purchase decisions. Either for PS2 owners finally making the jump to next gen (numbers suggest there are still lots of them), or for people rebuying a PS3 (switch to slim), or getting a triple as a secondary/tertiary console.
Smaller reporting periods, like f.i. in Japan, show this effect nicely. And every time. Over the course of a month things get muddier, as several different, and even longtime effects get mixed up.

Dynoro said:
The PSP just sold 300k in a week thanks to Monster Hunter in Japan, the 360 sold nearly 500k during the launch of Reach.

Truly big games will always move hardware. The question then becomes, is GT5 truly a big game in the states? Im guessing ~500k launch week, which is roughly half of the debut months of GoW3 and FF 13 on PS3. It will probably be close to 1million by January. I just see Black Ops and Assassin's Creed being too big to be knocked aside at this point in the generation.

Hammer24

Banned
Dynoro said:
How much did the PS3/360/Wii jump in sales with the last few major exclusives for example? As I was under the impression that this was no longer the case in the US

These are effects that do not really differ between regions. The impression, that this wouldn´t be the case in the US anymore, is given by the monthlong NPD reporting period.
To discern the bumps now, you have to take out longterm effects (that you don´t have earlier in a generation) like general yoy decline/rise, price cuts, and nowadays important accessories (Wii+, Move, Kinect). Oh, and right now the holiday effects.
But for all these effects we have data, so you can still extrapolate the hw bump from huge sw franchises.

Dynoro

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PSP just sold 300k in a week thanks to Monster Hunter in Japan, the 360 sold nearly 500k during the launch of Reach.

Truly big games will always move hardware. The question then becomes, is GT5 truly a big game in the states? Im guessing ~500k launch week, which is roughly half of the debut months of GoW3 and FF 13 on PS3. It will probably be close to 1million by January. I just see Black Ops and Assassin's Creed being too big to be knocked aside at this point in the generation.
Ah fair enough then; hadn't realised the bumps were that large still - maybe the PS3 and 360 will be closer is GT5 does prove to be a big game in the states

szaromir

Banned
jvm said:
I wish, or maybe to select members of the press. I get it around 6:25PM - 6:35PM, Eastern time.
Why do they release the numbers this late? They want the numbers public after the stock closes?

jvm

Gamasutra.
szaromir said:
Why do they release the numbers this late? They want the numbers public after the stock closes?
I have no idea. What stock exchange is still closing at that hour? Something in California.

Sorry, I really have no idea why they do it this way. Could be perfectly mundane like "that's how we've always done it, and we can't remember why it started at that time".

Hammer24 said:
?? Maybe I got you wrong, but didn´t you say there were only a couple of days of GT5 sales counted?

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sorry about that!

Thats kinda like the we-wont-see-a-bump-as-every-fanboy-has-a-360-already discussion.

Not really. All I'm saying is that for this particular title, there is a good chance - in my mind at least - that it will have a minimal effect on HW sales. I understand that big, hyped releases can have an effect on sales; I just disagree that they always do, or that the effect is always that significant.

In this particular case, I think any boost in HW due to GT5 is going to be minimal because:
  • I don't believe the people waiting for GT5 are still to "jump in" - I think Prologue and the price drops, other releases and redesign will have pulled in most people already committed to buying GT5.
  • It's falling right at the end of a reporting period, and I don't believe that anyone not already committed to buy GT5 is going to be snapping up a console ASAP just based on pre-release ads and word-of-mouth, so any hardware boost may well be missed in this NPD. It may show up in better-than-expected sales next month though.

jvm said:
I have no idea. What stock exchange is still closing at that hour? Something in California.
There are no important exchanges in Cali that I know of. The western most are the Chicago futures exchanges (some other minor midwest ones).

Very excited for this NPD, hoping for some megaton hilarity.

Hammer24

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I understand that big, hyped releases can have an effect on sales; I just disagree that they always do, or that the effect is always that significant.

Well, I think they always do. They are just not as easy to see as earlier in a generation, as longterm effects are in play too.

[*]I don't believe the people waiting for GT5 are still to "jump in" - I think Prologue and the price drops, other releases and redesign will have pulled in most people already committed to buying GT5.

There are so many probable scenarios why people buy consoles at big game releases, some I mentioned earlier. To make a camparison, look at PS2 data of very late in its life cycle. Big gaming franchises still produced hw bumps.

[*]It's falling right at the end of a reporting period, and I don't believe that anyone not already committed to buy GT5 is going to be snapping up a console ASAP just based on pre-release ads and word-of-mouth, so any hardware boost may well be missed in this NPD. It may show up in better-than-expected sales next month though.

This might very well be the case, but as we are in a holiday reporting period it´ll be statistical white noise lost in different and larger longtime effects.

Top Bottom