• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2010 NPD Predictions - Closes December 5th

Souldriver said:
Ok, here's something strange.

Monday, the local (Belgian) free paper when you travel by train gave a report on November NPD results. They said that the 360 had sold either 1.1 or 1.3 million consoles and that sales were up something like 33%, while the PS3 had gone down in sales by 20% and the Wii by 23%, or something like that.

Eeeh, how's that possible? Did the newspaper get the whole thing completely wrong? Are the numbers out there already but gaf is not allowed to talk about it? ...

(!!! The numbers are at the top of my memory. the exact numbers and percentages might be a bit different, but the overall order is correct.)

I would assume that NPD releases their numbers early to paying customers before saying anything "public".

Looks like 360 is going to beast this NPD

Almost certainly.

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:
I still don't really get what that means.

It means, for all the HW and SW from this gen(360, PS3, Wii, ect) in November 50% of all retail spend was on 360.

Busaiku said:
When he says "this gen" does he only exclude PS2?
Or does he exclude DS/PSP as well?

Excluding PS2 for sure.

Kagari said:
50% of all spending in November for the past 5 years has been on Xbox 360 games/systems?

Or does he mean among this generation of systems? And what does "spending" entail? Accesories and Software too?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I still don't really get what that means.
Sounds like, if you restrict numbers to just PS3, Wii, and X360, XBOX took roughly %50 of all revenue for November.

1.4 million? Impressive. Looks like there's a chance for some 2:1 performance this month.

FrankT

szaromir said:
Has Microsoft ever seen better December number? I think they did around 1.2M usually, but I'm not sure.

They just about matched the highest month ever iirc, Dec 2008 1.44. They will easily blow that out this time around.

Elios83

Amazing numbers for 360, it seems Kinect boosted sales by at least 500k units in the US.
Now why can't the others just announce their numbers so quickly :lol ?

szaromir said:
Has Microsoft ever seen better December number? I think they did around 1.2M usually, but I'm not sure.
And just think about the usual doubling (or close to) of numbers for December from November. Insane numbers are due for the next couple months, I guess.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Jtyettis said:
They just about matched the highest month ever iirc, Dec 2008 1.44. They will easily blow that out this time around.
Provided they can keep the channel filled. 250G is already hard to come by.

gerg

Jtyettis said:
I think it is fairly safe to say at this point they will take the year unless Wii just has an amazing Dec.

It depends on how close sales between the Wii and the 360 are. If the Wii manages 1.2 million sales again, then it will easily sell 3 million in December. Of course, the 360 could always surpass that, too.

Arnie

Massively impressive numbers there, well done Microsoft.

Intrigued to see how much they beat the competition by.

Jonsoncao

Banned
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............

my prediction was way off, but at least I am happy that 360 done well :lol

FrankT

gerg said:
It depends on how close sales between the Wii and the 360 are. If the Wii manages 1.2 million sales again, then it will easily sell 3 million in December. Of course, the 360 could always surpass that, too.

Perhaps, I think it was held more up by the $169 for Black Friday week than anything really. Not sure of those kind of deals will be had throughout Dec, but I mean anything is possible with the Wii.

There was only about a 150k difference coming into this so the margins can still be tight.

This should also put them on a path for over 6 million this year compared to 4.7 last year iirc.

RedStep

Elios83 said:
Now why can't the others just announce their numbers so quickly :lol ?

My guess is that nobody is in a hurry to step up to second or third place on the podium. NPD release used to force them to (as well as to spin and explain that they really won the race).

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sheeeeeeeeit!

1.4 million? What the what? :eek: Shit. :eek:

Jesus Fucking Christ that's crazy!

I haven't been this genuinely floored since, well this morning with the Uncharted 3 reveal, but before that, a long goddam time. That's amazing numbers for the 360. Hats off to Microsoft. Slim Console/Kinect seem to be doing wonders.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
GAF most of the time (but not always) underestimates 360 and overestimates PS3. This time we were way off (at least for 360).

Top Bottom