• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2011 NPD Predictions - closes December 5

jvm

Gamasutra.
Reggie has a history of using shipped numbers instead of sell-through. Just FYI. Now when Iwata says something about sales, it's typically been about actual sales tracking, though.
In at least one case, I believe Reggie has also used North American shipped numbers but referred to them as American sales (or something), which was even more confusing. :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is it normal for all numbers to be released this early? Do we predict anyhow?
These are manufacturer estimates, not the official NPD results. However, everyone talks ahead of the data release to make sure that things are pretty much in sync.

Edit: To be perfectly clear, there is no correct result for sales. But the marketplace generally takes the NPD Group's estimates as the best choice. Doesn't mean they're perfect, just an agreed-upon and generally reliable standard.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In at least one case, I believe Reggie has also used North American shipped numbers but referred to them as American sales (or something), which was even more confusing. :(

This is not the case, however.
I even checked and reported in the other page: he said the truth about what DS sold in its first 12 months. So, the Chris extrapolation is reliable.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is not the case, however.
I even checked and reported in the other page: he said the truth about what DS sold in its first 12 months. So, the Chris extrapolation is reliable.
I wasn't expressing doubt about Reggie on this. I was cautioning that his use of figures can be dodgy in general, and mentioning something in addition to what donny2112 had said.

Jokeropia

Joke post?

EDIT: Okay, I changed my prediction, but some of you are reading too much into Nintendo not giving a 3DS number. It's just impossible that DS outsold 3DS, and if it did, then the 3DS is officially a flop with no chance of recovery.
GBA outsold DS in USA for 19 straight months all the way from DS release until the DS Lite was released.

Mpl90

However, to put all this thing to an end.

28l.jpg

Mpl90

Note though that DS has two holiday seasons in that chart it while 3DS has none. DS had OK holiday season during it's 2004 launch but even worse in early 2005 than 3DS did in early 2011

I've posted the chart only for the DS total in the first 12 months, since it seems Reggie, in the past, used shipment numbers as sales to customers: and the graph indicates the 2.37 total for the first 12 months of DS as the real thing.

Road

There's no quote saying Reggie mentioned 2.37 million for the DS sales.

It's a shame there's no official PR statement.

Mpl90

There's no quote saying Reggie mentioned 2.37 million for the DS sales.

It's a shame there's no official PR statement.

...Ah, yes. It's something separates from his speech XD He only talks about how 3DS surpassed in 8 months what DS did in 12.
So, no doubts anymore about the numbers (especially since they correspond to what the graph say XD )

BurntPork

Banned
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, classic Burntpork"

The 3DS was selling at damn near clearance prices everywhere, and it got a big game. For its sales to still be low after that, the market just doesn't want it. I really hate it, but I'm forced to resign to the fact that Apple won again. I really want to punch something.

...... Wait a second. Something's weird about that Nintendo "PR". Did sales increase by 325%, were they 3.25x what it sold in that first week? That part is vauge, and it completely changes to context of the PR if that's the case.

donny2112

And these are REAL sales. So, Reggie was talking about actual sales to customers, not shipping.

I haven't even seen the Reggie quote, just Chris1964's analysis of it. However my impression of the quote was that it said 3DS has sold more in the U.S. in 8 months than the DS did in 12 months. Thus, it would've never mentioned 2.37m sold for DS in 12 months. That would've been from Chris1964 assuming that Reggie was talking about real sales.

Predict what you want. Reggie has not proven to be a good source of actual sales data in the past, so if he is a good source now, it'll be a change from his past behavior. :p

Mpl90

The 3DS was selling at damn near clearance prices everywhere, and it got a big game. For its sales to still be low after that, the market just doesn't want it. I really hate it, but I'm forced to resign to the fact that Apple won again. I really want to punch something.

Well, you can make us a favor: punch yourself.

Mpl90

I haven't even seen the Reggie quote, just Chris1964's analysis of it. However my impression of the quote was that it said 3DS has sold more in the U.S. in 8 months than the DS did in 12 months. Thus, it would've never mentioned 2.37m sold for DS in 12 months. That would've been from Chris1964 assuming that Reggie was talking about real sales.

Predict what you want. Reggie has not proven to be a good source of actual sales data in the past, so if he is a good source now, it'll be a change from his past behavior. :p

But that phrase about the sales cannot refers to anything else than actual sales to customers, come on...at least this time.

donny2112

But that phrase about the sales cannot refers to anything else than actual sales to customers,

vizzini.jpg

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic Sales-Age blunders - The most famous of which is "Never use VGC numbers" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never trust company PR to use sales instead of shipped when bragging rights are on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ...

Edit:
...... Wait a second. Something's weird about that Nintendo "PR". Did sales increase by 325%, were they 3.25x what it sold in that first week? That part is vauge, and it completely changes to context of the PR if that's the case.

Finally read the actual PR. It's not clear, but my assumption was that it increased by 325% which would be a factor of 4.25 x <week before SML3D sales>. It rose 49% week of SML3D sales, which means it rose 185% (2.85 factor) from Mario 3D's release to Black Friday week. Confusing enough?

Oh, and Reggie just says that 8 months of 3DS > 12 months of DS. The article throws in 2.37m for DS in 12 months separate from Reggie's quote. :p

BurntPork

Banned
Why do you do this? Why do you make such rash statements like this? Yes, it would be disappointing for Nintendo and the 3DS but chill out.

One moment you'll be all "everything is great" and with the flip of a switch it's "NINTENDO IS DOOMED THE 3DS CANNOT BE SAVED NO MATTER WHAT." I just don't understand why you do it every time. People would actually take what you had to say into consideration if you weren't quite so dramatic about how you said it. Not trying to be mean, but I'm amazed every time you do it.

In this case, I'm upset because Apple is the one company I hate so much that something bad happening to them would make me euphoric.

Anyway, I added something to that last post. If it's wrong, please don't prove it wrong. I really want to cling to that last of hope that there was a misunderstanding, Reggie actually said that the sales increased by 325% (as in +325% rather than x325%), he wasn't talking about shipped numbers and sales actually quadrupled.

Mpl90

vizzini.jpg

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic Sales-Age blunders - The most famous of which is "Never use VGC numbers" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never trust company PR to use sales instead of shipped when bragging rights are on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ...

Mmh, let's see. In the article, he refers to 3D Land, to Zelda and to the 3DS increases through the weeks as actual sales, and these are surely actual sales (especially on the software front).
Why to believe that, after these, he shifts suddenly and refers to shipments? I know he's a PR, and Reggie has said some """strange" things about games in the past (Conduit the Wii's Halo will be always inmy mind)...but he cannot lie so much about numbers. He can use them to make them look "better", but he can't lie.

Another thing: I think in the article the picture is wrong: Reggie said sales tripled in the BF week, not that they increased by 325%

Mpl90

However, Burnt...stay calm, please. You're already "difficult" to read due to your behaviour, if you even accentuate it, it becomes unsustainable XD

[360] 1,920,000
[3DS] 727,000
[NDS] 410,000
[PS3] 843,000
[WII] 1,120,000

BurntPork

Banned
However, Burnt...stay calm, please. You're already "difficult" to read due to your behaviour, if you even accentuate it, it becomes unsustainable XD

[360] 1,920,000
[3DS] 727,000
[NDS] 410,000
[PS3] 843,000
[WII] 1,120,000

No, I'm on to something. I know I'm right. Reggie saying something like "3DS sales multiplied by 325%" just seems awkward. It increased by 325%, which would likely put it around 300k, which isn't bad, but isn't good enough to brag about either. It makes perfect sense. Admit it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
These are manufacturer estimates, not the official NPD results. However, everyone talks ahead of the data release to make sure that things are pretty much in sync.

Edit: To be perfectly clear, there is no correct result for sales. But the marketplace generally takes the NPD Group's estimates as the best choice. Doesn't mean they're perfect, just an agreed-upon and generally reliable standard.
OK, thanks for the clear up! :)

I'll look at the previous 2 years and see if it helps me out a bit

donny2112

Why to believe that, after these, he shifts suddenly and refers to shipments?

Because he's Reggie. He's fooled us already a few times talking about "sales" for games in the U.S. that were way less than actual NPD numbers once those came out, meaning that he must've been referring to retailer shipments.

I know he's a PR, and Reggie has said some """strange" things about games in the past (Conduit the Wii's Halo will be always inmy mind)...but he cannot lie so much about numbers. He can use them to make them look "better", but he can't lie.

If he's referring to shipments, he didn't lie. If anything, it'd be easier for him to refer to shipment comparisons than to take NPD for DS for 12 months and compare to NPD for 3DS for 7 months and then add internal tracking numbers for the 8th month. The internal tracking numbers provided the week-to-week sales, which is where those come from. The simplest longer-term comparison for him to make before November's NPD release is to use shipments for both rather than to try to mix NPD and internal tracking numbers.

donny2112

It's the exact same quote we were already discussing. Nothing new was added. ;)

first three weeks of November,

Week 1 (October 30-November 5): ? (Guess 70K based off of October's weekly average)
Week 2 (November 6-12): 1x (Guess x is 70K based off of October's weekly average and assuming steady sales)
Week 3 (November 13-19): 1.49x (SM3DL launch week had 49% increase)
Week 4 (November 20-26): 4.25x (325% increase over Week 2)

November sales = 6.74x + Week 1

clashfan

vizzini.jpg

lolz. this made my day.

BurntPork

Banned
It's the exact same quote we were already discussing. Nothing new was added. ;)

Week 1 (October 30-November 5): ? (Guess 70K based off of October's weekly average)
Week 2 (November 6-12): 1x (Guess x is 70K based off of October's weekly average and assuming steady sales)
Week 3 (November 13-19): 1.49x (SM3DL launch week had 49% increase)
Week 4 (November 20-26): 4.25x (325% increase over Week 2)

November sales = 6.74x + Week 1

lol, I just self-owned myself three-times over. Last three weeks.

Okay, I need to redo the math in that case and change my prediction slightly, since I mistakenly assumed that this week counts. Last time, I promise, but you're free to disqualify me or whatever. ;) I don't read lol. And sorry for........ being me earlier. I have my reasons.

Madao

I really dont see 3DS outselling DS, with all the bundles of DS family of systems, and its library, and the fact that it is still popular among kids, it has to still be a huge handheld most people still want.

with their current price difference, it isn't that easy. for like very few extra bucks, you get a system that is way superior to its predecessor. unless nintendo's advertising is really bad, there's no reason for the 3DS to sell less than the DS now.

Mpl90

Because he's Reggie. He's fooled us already a few times talking about "sales" for games in the U.S. that were way less than actual NPD numbers once those came out, meaning that he must've been referring to retailer shipments.

If he's referring to shipments, he didn't lie. If anything, it'd be easier for him to refer to shipment comparisons than to take NPD for DS for 12 months and compare to NPD for 3DS for 7 months and then add internal tracking numbers for the 8th month. The internal tracking numbers provided the week-to-week sales, which is where those come from. The simplest longer-term comparison for him to make before November's NPD release is to use shipments for both rather than to try to mix NPD and internal tracking numbers.

But shouldn't the internal tracking be near the NPD numbers IIRC?
I'd like to see some examples of what are you saying, about Reggie: now I'm curious.

EDIT: Moreover, the overdoing the first DS full year is their PR angle.

NINTENDO 3DS POISED TO SURPASS FIRST-YEAR SALES OF NINTENDO DS

In its eighth month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS&#8482; system crossed 1.65 million units sold in the U.S., according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This milestone puts the platform on track to surpass the first-year total of Nintendo DS&#8482;, the best-selling game platform in U.S. history.

The Nintendo DS system sold 2.37 million units in its first 12 months (November 2004-October 2005), with approximately 50 percent of those sales occurring in the holiday time frame. With its first holiday season and the launches of the Super Mario 3D Land&#8482; and Mario Kart&#8482; 7 games on the horizon, Nintendo 3DS is poised to eclipse that number and establish a new benchmark for hand-held gaming launches in the United States.

"With a massive lineup of software on the way and the first-year sales record of Nintendo DS in its sights, Nintendo 3DS enters its first holiday season with a full head of steam," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing.

Other Nintendo news from the month includes:
&#8226; Nintendo sold more than 675,000 combined hardware units in October. This includes more than 250,000 units of Nintendo 3DS, nearly 250,000 Wii&#8482; systems and nearly 180,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems.

&#8226; For the year, Nintendo has sold a combined 7 million hardware units and more than 55 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms. Both of these numbers should increase with the Nov. 20 launch of The Legend of Zelda&#8482;: Skyward Sword for Wii.

&#8226; Both Wii, up 8 percent year over year, and Nintendo DS, up 23 percent over the previous month, demonstrated strong momentum heading into their respective sixth and eighth holiday seasons. In total, the two platforms have sold more than 87 million combined hardware units and more than 540 million combined units of software in the United States.

This is the PR Release from last month. I don't think they'd switch suddenly from talking about actual sales to shipment like this when they already referred to actual sales in the past AND it's like their PR spin. Simply this, added to the fact that those 3D Land mean also possibly very good sales of the bundle.

donny2112

I'd like to see some examples of what are you saying, about Reggie: now I'm curious.

Elite Beat Agents and Metroid: Other M. jvm also mentioned one where he used NA shipments for something.

This is the PR Release from last month. I don't think they'd switch suddenly from talking about actual sales to shipment like this when they already referred to actual sales in the past AND it's like their PR spin.

If it sells > 700K in the month, he was probably talking about sales. If it doesn't, he was talking about something else. If it is sales, that'd be a good change for Reggie, but it'd still take another couple of examples to actually trust Reggie's "sales" speak for me personally. Either way, we'll see in about a week.

Mpl90

Yeah, this will be the longest week.

Especially because Mario Kart should arrive next Tuesday :(

Am I missing something, or has (nearly) everyone put 1.5m for the 360? Is there some secret leaked info out there or are people doing some sort of multiplication from last month to get there? ;)

That aside, seems to be very few people predicting lately.

Alrus

Am I missing something, or has (nearly) everyone put 1.5m for the 360? Is there some secret leaked info out there or are people doing some sort of multiplication from last month to get there? ;)

That aside, seems to be very few people predicting lately.

The 360 sold nearly a million during black friday week. Add the rest of the month and 1.5 million is probably reachable.

It's more than reachable, it's easily achievable... but that's not my point, almost everyone has the same number, or at least within 50k. Just stuck out a bit..

Top Bottom