• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that 2023 is nearly over, what type of GPU are you on?

What GPU Type Are You Running?

• RTX 4000

Votes: 133 32.9%
  • RTX 3000

Votes: 143 35.4%
  • RTX 2000

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • GTX 16

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • GTX 1000 or Older

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • AMD Radeon

Votes: 64 15.8%
  • Intel Arc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

Hoddi

I'm still using my trusty old 2080Ti and see few reasons to upgrade. It's still mostly fine at 4k though memory capacity was becoming an issue. But I recently sidegraded from a 4k LCD to 3440x1440 OLED which clawed back enough performance that it should last me another two years.

I don't pay much attention to framerates nowadays though. As long as they aren't too low (or hitch from lack of memory) then I just let Gsync take care of it. If the 4080 Super ships with 20GB then I might jump on that.

rnlval

I'm still using my trusty old 2080Ti and see few reasons to upgrade. It's still mostly fine at 4k though memory capacity was becoming an issue. But I recently sidegraded from a 4k LCD to 3440x1440 OLED which clawed back enough performance that it should last me another two years.

I don't pay much attention to framerates nowadays though. As long as they aren't too low (or hitch from lack of memory) then I just let Gsync take care of it. If the 4080 Super ships with 20GB then I might jump on that.

MSI confims RTX 4080 Super has 16 GB VRAM.

---

RTX 4080 Super has a 256-bit GDDR6X-23000 (736 GB/s) configuration. RTX 4080 has a 256-bit GDDR6X-22400 (716.8 GB/s) configuration.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

3080, 12gb version.
Had planned a 4090 upgrade but f* those prices. May just ride this 3080 into the sunset.

Redefine07

Upgraded from 3060 Ti to RX 7900 XT Nitro+ , I am happy with it so far :) I game on 1440p and 60fps locked mostly in SP games.

simpatico

1080 GTX and I'm nothing but happy I haven't upgraded sooner. Hopefully the 5000 series has something worthwhile.

Finally hit a hard block on a game I really wanted to play, Alan Wake 2. But aside from that the only stuff with unacceptable perf has been TLOU and the new Jedi game. I just keep thinking if I bought a 3070 or something I'd already be looking to upgrade again, and I enjoyed all the games aside from those 3 just fine with my 1080. Before I always bought the xx80 card from every other gen. Seeing them collect dust on my workshop shelf made me hold my cash this time around.

Right now as of this post it's Nvidia 315 (84%) AMD 61 (16%) on GAF.

So far GAF's numbers are very close to overall market share numbers of GPU according to Steam Hardware Survey.

GAF is statistically a small sample relative to SHS but the alignment is very striking. In general, there is no particular bias towards Nvidia or AMD on GAF relative to the greater PC gaming population measured by SHS.

CGNoire

I was on a 4090 till a couple days ago where 1hr into use one of the power cables unravelled a little and ran into the fan bricking it.

Luckily I was still within my return period. PHEW.

eNT1TY

On a 4070 Ti emergency replacement for my burnt 3080 Ti, one of the vrms popped and destroyed a good portion of the surrounding pcb.

FateTrap

Neo Member
Nvidia GTX 650 1GB

I mainly play lightweight games such as OpenArena, 0 A.D., Xonotic, Red Eclipse, Unvanquished, OpenDiablo II, The Dark Mod, Wolfenstein 3D, Kandria, OpenLara, wipEout, etc.

Although the card is over 11 years old, I usually still get over 230 FPS on ultra settings in these games on FreeBSD.

Normally in a few days a RX 6650 XT will be delivered which has about 14 times more computing power.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

I am rocking a RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra from EVGA since jan/2021. No regrets so far (got it before the crypto shit). Probably will not upgrade because gpu prices are so off.

Have other pc for office work and light things with a rx580 8gb.

Last edited:

yamaci17

still happy with my 3070

i will keep using it till gta 6

tips vram survivability

1. here's a batch code you can prepare to destroy explorer.exe and other windows stuff to save some more vram (leave important apps like game launcher/browser, so you can alt tab between them). this is only for EXTREME cases like last of us part 1 or cyberpunk with path tracing. it does help with %1 lows in those cases

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
taskkill /f /im SearchHost.exe
taskkill /f /im StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
taskkill /f /im ShellExperienceHost.exe
taskkill /f /im TextInputHost.exe
taskkill /f /im GameBar.exe
taskkill /f /im SystemSettings.exe
taskkill /f /im Video.UI.exe
taskkill /f /im LockApp.exe
taskkill /f /im XboxGameBarWidgets.exe
taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

alternative batch code that doesnt kill explorer but resets the rest so any bloated vram usage will be calmed down. you can pretty much safely use this any time before you open a game.

taskkill /f /im SearchHost.exe
taskkill /f /im StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
taskkill /f /im ShellExperienceHost.exe
taskkill /f /im TextInputHost.exe
taskkill /f /im GameBar.exe
taskkill /f /im SystemSettings.exe
taskkill /f /im Video.UI.exe
taskkill /f /im LockApp.exe
taskkill /f /im XboxGameBarWidgets.exe
taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

2. Disable windows widgets running in the background since it uses extra bit of vram. I never use this feature so no point of it using extra VRAM. It can be 50 to 150 mb but who cares? It just adds up if you ignore everything like this.

3. Disable hardware acceleration for your browser, steam and discord if you want to use them while gaming and prevent them from using extra vram (these 3 programs in total can use up to 500 mb to 1.5 gb depending on context)

Disabling hardware acceleration will have these programs run on your CPU instead. when you minimize them, the CPU performance impact is almost close to zero, so realistically they will only cost you CPU cycles when you do use them. whereas if you let hardware accel on they will use VRAM regardless if you use them actively or not

PHBq4L2.png

iBr2kqH.png

ADDACRo.png

4. Disable geforce experience overlay for vram-heavy problematic games and don't activate shadowplay replay feature in such titles. it will just cause issues with vram heavy titles unless the game is super smart about texture streaming (most games are not).

squarealex

I'm still on RTX 2060 Super (since end 2019, before a GTX 770 since 2013), I'm pretty shocked everyone already buyed a 3000 and 4000. The myth of PC Gamers buying expensive GPU each 2-3 years is true lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom