• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

now that TGS is done, on to X05

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
apparently not halo! i'm surprised they haven't done any kind of teaser.

i'd really like to see treasure's unannounced game (pls. be project rs3) and chikyuu boeigun x. but if those were ready to be shown, they would've been at tgs. i guess i just want to see the launch lineup take shape...final versions of rr6 and oblivion, both ready for day 1.

dorio

Banned
They don't need Halo to sale systems this holiday. Everyone and their grandma knows its coming. They just need Oblivion, a stellar looking Madden and a nice looking PDZ and they will own Xmas. Throw in a Splinter Cell demo that bitch slaps MGS4, stir and let that sucka bake.

dorio said:
They don't need Halo to sale systems this holiday. Everyone and their grandma knows its coming. They just need Oblivion, a stellar looking Madden and a nice looking PDZ and they will own Xmas. Throw in a Splinter Cell demo that bitch slaps MGS4, stir and let that sucka bake.

Riiiight....

GhaleonEB

Are you people stating that Halo won't be shown at X05 some kind of insider, or just trying to be assertive with your speculation? Bungie has been pretty successfull at keeping their cards close to their chest in the past.

dorio

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Are you people stating that Halo won't be shown at X05 some kind of insider, or just trying to be assertive with your speculation? Bungie has been pretty successfull at keeping their cards close to their chest in the past.
I just think it wouldn't be a very smart move. A first sighting of Halo at E3 would have the maximum impact and pretty much win the show for them. Let Sony blow their wad.

Amir0x

Banned
On a slightly unrelated note, I was watching Cliffy B's Gears of War playthrough preview from E3 2005 and I noticed him talking up the "light/dark" aspect. About how monsters in the game hate the light, and you're constantly trying to find cover at bright sources. And he says something like 'you're constantly wishing that the sun stays up.' I was thinking that's pretty close enough to confirmation that there will be daylight locations. But I was hoping that it meant there might be some neat day/light cycles that would be awesome and tension-fueled.

Just idle speculation though ;0

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Keyser Soze said:
any peoples got an invite yet??
:D
Every signs point to a BIG BIG BIIIIIIIIG X05. Microsoft really is putting lots and lots of money into this event.
PDZ will playable there, there will be some new Kameo footage, a new GoW level will be unveiled, and lots and lots of new HD trailer will be shown there. And of course there should be surprises (and no I don't know what they are)
Amir0x: Yeah there are daylight levels in GoW.

Blimblim said:
Every signs point to a BIG BIG BIIIIIIIIG X05. Microsoft really is putting lots and lots of money into this event.
PDZ will playable there, there will be some new Kameo footage, a new GoW level will be unveiled, and lots and lots of new HD trailer will be shown there. And of course there should be surprises (and no I don't know what they are)

But but....Shadowrun right? <oh god please>

----

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I think it's just common sense. Do you think Microsoft Games Studios is going to show a next-gen Forza trailer when they want everyone to be hyped about Project Gotham 3? Why undermine the sales and anticipation for the games that are coming out in 2 months by teasing people with a game that is coming out 2 years from now?

Amir0x said:
On a slightly unrelated note, I was watching Cliffy B's Gears of War playthrough preview from E3 2005 and I noticed him talking up the "light/dark" aspect. About how monsters in the game hate the light, and you're constantly trying to find cover at bright sources. And he says something like 'you're constantly wishing that the sun stays up.' I was thinking that's pretty close enough to confirmation that there will be daylight locations. But I was hoping that it meant there might be some neat day/light cycles that would be awesome and tension-fueled.

Just idle speculation though ;0

You know they have shown some daylight screens before...

1123193105.jpg

1123193104.jpg

1123194448.jpg

BrumakCanyon_1280.jpg

GhaleonEB

---- said:
I think it's just common sense. Do you think Microsoft Games Studios is going to show a next-gen Forza trailer when they want everyone to be hyped about Project Gotham 3? Why undermine the sales and anticipation for the games that are coming out in 2 months by teasing people with a game that is coming out 2 years from now?

To build hype and buzz for the system? Why show MGS4 two years before the game comes out, and nine months (or so) before the system launches? (That seems to have worked out okay.)

nowing Halo 3 is coming out a full YEAR or more after PD0 would not deter people from buying it at launch.

Triumph

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Don't toy with my emotions. I hope, with MS taking a flyer on part 2, Sega rewards them with completing the saga on the 360
That doesn't sound like much of a reward to me!

Uncle

GhaleonEB said:
nowing Halo 3 is coming out a full YEAR or more after PD0 would not deter people from buying it at launch.

Well Halo 3 should looka amazing, so people would start bitching that the actual launch games look like crap and how MS is fucking up and screwing the early adopters, how life sucks and they don't have a girlfriend etc etc. It'll still happen, but for no real reason.

Triumph

Banned
krypt0nian said:
But but....Shadowrun right? <oh god please>
I hear it's getting turned into an FPS.

BOOOO

Hey MS, people like Halo because it's a badass game that happens to be an fps, not because all xbox fans are fps fanatics(hmm, altho i do likey the shootey). Make more badass games in multiple genres and you'll have more viable franchises.

Sincerely,
Mr. Duke

FightyF

Banned
Raoul Duke said:

BOOOO

Hey MS, people like Halo because it's a badass game that happens to be an fps, not because all xbox fans are fps fanatics(hmm, altho i do likey the shootey). Make more badass games in multiple genres and you'll have more viable franchises.

Sincerely,
Mr. Duke

Agreed.

Shadowrun MMORPG perhaps? It would fit in well with Live!.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Raoul Duke said:

BOOOO

Sincerely,
Mr. Duke
I hear it's more like a Deus EX game.

----

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
To build hype and buzz for the system? Why show MGS4 two years before the game comes out, and nine months (or so) before the system launches? (That seems to have worked out okay.)
MGS4 was shown to the public to hurt Xbox 360 sales. That's it. The trailer even specifically talks about the console wars. You don't really think Sony would be showing stuff this early if the Xbox 360 was not coming out this year? Showing all this PS3 stuff doesn't help their PS2 business, Sony would be maximizing PS2 profitability right now if there was no competition from Microsoft. They'd be majorly showcasing PS2 games at TGS right now and making sure they got the most attention if there was nobody launching before PS3.

MS doesn't need to create hype and buzz for the system right now. Being featured on Time magazine and on MTV has created plenty of hype already. Being the only next-gen system out this fall and giving out 9,000 consoles with Pepsi for 2 months is going to create plenty of buzz. Xbox 360 doesn't need Halo right now. And Halo 3 is not coming out next year. Halo 3 is coming out after the movie hits in 2007 because that is the absolute best time to release the game. They're going to piggyback the massive marketing of a summer blockbuster movie. Xbox 360 has an incredibly strong launch lineup, they don't have to worry about selling consoles at launch. I think Halo 3 would be best used to deal with the hype of PS3's impending launch so that the Xbox 360 is not forgotten in all the PS3 hype next year. They need a game to continue the Xbox 360's launch momentum next year, to maintain hype for the system. You don't want lots of hype around the launch of your system and then for it to fizzle out as new systems are coming out.

I'm sure they intend for PDZ at X'05 to create all the FPS hype and buzz that they need. You have a rare opportunity to build big franchises at the launch of a console and MS is trying to do that with Perfect Dark. They don't need Halo to come along right now and overshadow Perfect Dark's chance to have the spotlight. I don't know what to expect of Perfect Dark, but I'm sure Microsoft wants it to be as successful of a franchise as Halo is. Putting Halo teasers out in front of PDZ doesn't help them to achieve that.

The point is this. Microsoft wants the media coming back from X'05 chattering and buzzing about Perfect Dark and Project Gotham, not Halo and Forza. Showing Halo 3 stuff makes the media come out of X'05 buzzing about Halo 3, not about Perfect Dark. If MS is going to tease anything at X'05 I think it will be future Rare franchise games. That's what I picked up out of the Peter Moore interview.

Superfrog

- Halo 3 teaser
- 2-3 all new announcements (probably this rumoured Visual Concepts American Football game?)
- PGR3 playable
- PDZ playable AND stunning
- all launch titles playable
- new HD footage of nearly all launch window titles

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm just hoping to play a lot of X360 games. And do lots of interviews.

Invitations & registrations were completed way back in August.

Lakitu

st5fu
If they don't show us a Halo 3 teaser I will cry.

It's the least they could do after leaving the fans on the edge after the Halo 2 ending. It doesn't even have to have game footage or anything just like make the words "Halo 3 is coming" with some of Marty's music in the back.

Cuth

element said:
Party in Amsterdam!!!

What are you expecting or looking forward too?
What's your answer to that question? :)

I suppose a Duke Nukem Forever trailer that mocks Solid Snake is asking too much... maybe at E3... :D

Seriously, I expect:
- of course more on first/second party MS games we already know (not the japanese ones, I suppose). Kameo, PDZ and (I hope) PGR3 playable.
- some UbiSoft games (Ghost Recon playable, King Kong, Splinter Cell 4 or Project Assassin)
- other games we've already seen from third party developer (strange no one mentioned FIFA... it's an european show...)
- announcements of some PC games ported to 360 (FEAR, BioShock, etc.)

I hope:
- at least one new big first/second party game (Shadowrun or a BioWare game)
- a BIG announcement related to third party titles, like a Valve or Blizzard game only for Xbox360 and PC (I suppose this hope won't come true)
- [EDIT] I forgot this: a trailer of the new Crytek engine on Xbox360 would be sweet (but again I don't think this will come true, maybe at E3)

Uncle

Cuth said:
- other games we've already seen from third party developer (strange no one mentioned FIFA... it's an european show...)

After PES FIFA just doesn't feel right. But since you brought it up I hope we'll see next gen PES. That could do miracles for X360 sales in Europe.

Cuth

Uncle said:
After PES FIFA just doesn't feel right.
Yes. But FIFA will be at X05, no doubt.

But since you brought it up I hope we'll see next gen PES. That could do miracles for X360 sales in Europe.
I agree, I hope that too but I don't think we'll see a next-gen PES before the beginning of 2006. :(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Something that doesn't look like a cheap port or a rushed piece of sh*t.

MS really needs something to wow the audience, they are doing an awful job at this moment =/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Every signs point to a BIG BIG BIIIIIIIIG X05. Microsoft really is putting lots and lots of money into this event

well they've clearly been saving their cash so far :p

I hope they dish out their HD footage on the web afterwards.

Xenon

I think MS needs to show the Halo teaser just to show major improvement on a character people identify with. This is one thing MS is missing with the 360 so far.

AB 101

Banned
Blimblim said:

Keep your expectations LOW Blim.

You won't be bummed out then. ;)

----

Banned
Xenon said:
I think MS needs to show the Halo teaser just to show major improvement on a character people identify with. This is one thing MS is missing with the 360 so far.
Joanna Dark doesn't count? From what I've she looks a lot better than she did in the N64 days.

Do you really want Microsoft to do the stuff that Nintendo did at Spaceworld before Gamecube launch? I think a lot of people were really resentful when Zelda and Metroid didn't end up looking anything like the teasers that were specially crafted for that presentation.

In reference to the future Rare games Peter Moore spoke of broadening the platforms audience, so we may see a BK teaser or something along those lines. A Killer Instinct teaser would make me very happy though. I won't hold my breath. He also spoke of some Japanese developed exclusives being revealed "in the next few months."

Yusaku

---- said:
MGS4 was shown to the public to hurt Xbox 360 sales. That's it. The trailer even specifically talks about the console wars. You don't really think Sony would be showing stuff this early if the Xbox 360 was not coming out this year? Showing all this PS3 stuff doesn't help their PS2 business, Sony would be maximizing PS2 profitability right now if there was no competition from Microsoft. They'd be majorly showcasing PS2 games at TGS right now and making sure they got the most attention if there was nobody launching before PS3.

MS doesn't need to create hype and buzz for the system right now. Being featured on Time magazine and on MTV has created plenty of hype already. Being the only next-gen system out this fall and giving out 9,000 consoles with Pepsi for 2 months is going to create plenty of buzz. Xbox 360 doesn't need Halo right now. And Halo 3 is not coming out next year. Halo 3 is coming out after the movie hits in 2007 because that is the absolute best time to release the game. They're going to piggyback the massive marketing of a summer blockbuster movie. Xbox 360 has an incredibly strong launch lineup, they don't have to worry about selling consoles at launch. I think Halo 3 would be best used to deal with the hype of PS3's impending launch so that the Xbox 360 is not forgotten in all the PS3 hype next year. They need a game to continue the Xbox 360's launch momentum next year, to maintain hype for the system. You don't want lots of hype around the launch of your system and then for it to fizzle out as new systems are coming out.

I'm sure they intend for PDZ at X'05 to create all the FPS hype and buzz that they need. You have a rare opportunity to build big franchises at the launch of a console and MS is trying to do that with Perfect Dark. They don't need Halo to come along right now and overshadow Perfect Dark's chance to have the spotlight. I don't know what to expect of Perfect Dark, but I'm sure Microsoft wants it to be as successful of a franchise as Halo is. Putting Halo teasers out in front of PDZ doesn't help them to achieve that.

The point is this. Microsoft wants the media coming back from X'05 chattering and buzzing about Perfect Dark and Project Gotham, not Halo and Forza. Showing Halo 3 stuff makes the media come out of X'05 buzzing about Halo 3, not about Perfect Dark. If MS is going to tease anything at X'05 I think it will be future Rare franchise games. That's what I picked up out of the Peter Moore interview.

You seem to think that the PS3 is competing with the PS2, and I would disagree. People buying PS2s this fall aren't put off by MGS4 because 1) they're not interested in paying $400 for a console and 2) aren't interested in waiting two years for a single game.

This fall the PS2 begins its transition to a budget minded game console, and it's going to be a huge cash-cow for Sony. It's essentially going to be the game in town. Thanks to the HDD and Nvidia it will be difficult for MS to match any PS2 price-drops with the original Xbox. Sony are masters at milking a console for it's entire lifecycle, MS is pretty much forced to just bury the Xbox and try and move everyone to the 360 ASAP.

Also I'm going to wager that Halo 3 will arrive much later than the movie, too late to try any sort of cross-promotional hype. Not that it needs it.

Beowolf

Banned
I expect damage control from M$, then more stupid MTV style hype with some stupid bands which is a distraction on how subpar the launch games are.

More hype talk and maybe a movie trailer of Halo 3.

eso76

FiRez said:
Actually, SC4 is supossed to be very impressive

i'm sure it does look very impressive from a technical pov; SC team is among the innovators when it comes to new shaders, lightning techniques and all sorts of fancy effects.
Point is, they need some good artists. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory bitchslaps mgs3 in technical terms, but if you were to see cutscens from both, side to side, which one would have an impact on you ? Definately not SC CT.
Besides, it's more or less what's happening with mgs4 and gow, isn't it ?

Only just recovered from flight back from Tokyo - last thing I wanna think about is the flight to Amsterdam! We do have *some* work to do you know!!! ;-)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
eso76 said:
i'm sure it does look very impressive from a technical pov; SC team is among the innovators when it comes to new shaders, lightning techniques and all sorts of fancy effects.
Point is, they need some good artists. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory bitchslaps mgs3 in technical terms, but if you were to see cutscens from both, side to side, which one would have an impact on you ? Definately not SC CT.
Besides, it's more or less what's happening with mgs4 and gow, isn't it ?
Yeah, some of those Chaos Theory character models were straight goofy looking.

921914_20050303_screen014.jpg

Xenon

Joanna Dark doesn't count? From what I've she looks a lot better than she did in the N64 days.

Joanna Dark is not that big of a name. And if she didn't look better there would be a major problem. They need someone a little more recent.

Top Bottom