• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust is settled, Quiet's probably the most embarrassing gaming character

Not nearly as prominent as Quiet, but don't forget Latisha the trash lady.

file_173660_0_deus_ex_racism-642x362.jpg

DeaviL

Banned
I get that the extreme sexualization and lame reason for said sexualization is annoying some people, but i really can't hate Quiet.

She's incredibly an incredibly powerful character, and i think that makes up for quite a bit.

danm999

Yeah I ended up not being ashamed of my words and deeds for thinking Quiet's costume design wasn't great.

And I ended up putting the XOF uniform on here anyway so I think it could have been that way from the start.

Not even. Both are perfect examples of everything wrong with the representation of women in gaming though, I guess Samus is an example of how not to do a main protagonist character and Quiet is an example of how not to do a side character. I mean goddamn.

I think OM Samus is worse because it completely ruined a well-established, strong female character for absolutely no reason and more or less killed Metroid for 5+ years now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't..

I don't think you've played Metal Gear Solid games.
Well, MGS has stupid silly shit in it for sure, but don't pretend it's a comedy series. It deals with war, WMDs, political corruption, child soldiers, torture, rape, PTSD, abusive government surveillance, self-sacrifice for patriotic reasons, and a whole lot of very serious, very dramatic issues.

But it's like Kojima is too much of a dumbass teenager at heart, and he wants to talk about "serious stuff" but can't help also putting ridiculous comic book shit like arbitrarily naked women and dudes that controls bees and shit. *shrugs*

Anyway, I don't think that "MGS is silly" has ever been a good defense for any of that crap, Quiet included. MGS could use humour in ways that doesn't degrade the final message (I think the humorous codec conversations are a good example), but sometimes, it doesn't, and that's too bad.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, awful design. Pretty bad explanation of her outfit too.

I mean I am glad Kojima stuck with his initial design where he asked his artist to make her a sexy character that would inspire cosplay, but it doesnt make her a good character.

Though tbh, Fortune and Eva both dressed the same so this a series tradition.

I feel there was a good character somewhere in Quiet, but unfortunately all of the Gary gamers out there absolutely must be pandered to at all costs, apparently.

LiK

Yeah I ended up not being ashamed of my words and deeds for thinking Quiet's costume design wasn't great.

And I ended up putting the XOF uniform on here anyway so I think it could have been that way from the start.

XOF outfit was such a late game thing. I wish it was offered earlier. All the blood and paint skins were lame.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Now that the dust is settled, let's throw around more dust. We've had enough threads about this where people agreed but I guess you wanted to bring it back up OP.

I don't agree that she was embarrassing, as I'm not embarrassed easily, especially by some skin showing on a digital character. The only thing I find slightly embarrassing(for all of us) is when people cheer at expos as they watch a protagonist murder countless people on screen in a creative way, or, when developers make a character of a different race than white as stereotypical or negatively stereotypical as possible like Latisha the trash lady pointed out above. I do, however, agree with sentiments around her backstory and story within the game not being well-written though, and I also agree that her design could have been done better, considering the tech within the MGS universe. Then again, I thought Kojima Prod team's storytelling and plot/character setup took a bit of a nose dive after MGS3.

Oh, were we supposed to roll over the floor laughing over all the characters delivering dramatic monologues about the horrors of wars?

Literally the series where you punch robot ninjas while a weaboo pisses himself in a locker, after the fight they discuss horrors of war, then the ninja leaves and the weaboo talks about building mechs

So yes

I was just shaking my head so often while interacting with the character.

Cute actress who plays her though, if that is worth anything.

Nothing wrong with masterbatory aids, but it is weird though. Really weird.

8TRFcRd.gif

Could be worse though. With the way a lot of Japanese developers are going lately (even Nintendo) she could be child on top everything else.

Why are people so mean to people with anxiety issues, those dudes are 'basement dwellers' for a reason you know.

It's 2015 bro, nothing wrong with judging a man based on his social status, just like their is nothing wrong with judging a woman on her looks.

It's a Metal Gear Solid game. I know there's been far more tasteful female designs in the series before, but Quiet's design in itself doesn't feel that out of place given how goofy and over the top the series can be?

I'd say more the PR attempts to say her looks were some 'deep' point when the drama first came up and not just the fanservice it was obviously meant to be was more obnoxious than if they'd just owned up as to why she looked that way and moved on.

rhandino

Banned
Having visited the Dead or Alive thread, I think there is some stiff competition for that title.
Dead or Alive volleyball game knows his target audience and deliver what they want in spades, meanwhile MGSV tries to be something greater and while I do think that Quiet could have been a great character her execution was just not very good...

Afrodium

Banned
Yeah he is, I think she was an okay character that got shit on for what she was wearing.

It didn't matter than and it certainly doesn't matter now.

I disagree, Quiet isn't shit on because of what she's wearing, she's shit in because her outfit is pretty much the beginning and end of her character. She's a hot, nearly naked sidekick who never talks, rolls around seductively in her bunk, wiggles her ass for you, and gives you sultry glances. She's just jerk off fodder. I know people will say that she's the best character in the game, but that just speaks to how bad the story of MGSV is, not how good of a character she is.

Why does it have to be viewed as one or the other? Some people just like the character. Do they all have to be viewed as horny gob-smacking perverts, or are they just allowed to not be offended by a girl's attire and like the character?

She fits into the narrative and has a design that some women actually try to emulate. She also has one of the only scenes in the game that makes you feel something (the helicopter rescue/end scene).

It doesn't. Like I said, I don't personally believe it's wrong to have sexualized characters in gaming, and I certainly don't think it's wrong for players to enjoy them.

It's just that 1) She's sorely outta place in V considering the eye-roll inducing "serious game" vibe it seems to strive for, 2) They hyped her up like some integral, justified character. Just be forthcoming that she's supposed to be fan-service fun, and have the game openly treat her as what she is. Would have made the whole thing less embarrassing.

Ratrat

Shes the most overtalked about character ever. The uprorar before release and after. Its a dumb character but geez.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
She fits into the narrative and has a design that some women actually try to emulate.

lol, yeah sure, those women are totally soldiers and snipers too right?

No she's not, feel sorry for anyone embarrassed by her. You must be so timid and anxious 24/7.
LOL, sure. Even Joe Abercrombie (author of "grimdark" fantasy novels) wrote about how stupid and embarrassing Quiet is. You have no idea what you're talking about.

As much as I enjoy MGSV and dumb fanservice in general.....yeah, you're right. I hate to beat a dead horse but throughout the game I was waiting to be ashamed of my words and deeds but it never happened.

I don't know about embarrassing but she's certainly one of the most out of place I've ever seen, almost to the point where her character design feels like it must be parody because there's no way someone designed a powerful sniper to look like that and didn't see anything wrong with it.

This type of comment, along with others in this thread just leaves me scratching my head wondering if any of you have played the series before and listen to Kojima.

First off

SniperWolf1.jpg

Sniper Wolf, Awesome sniper, but dressed like that...... while in the middle of Alaska.
Any explanation on that? Nope

The Beauty and Beasts photoshoots.......... Pure Fanservice
Any explanation on that? Nope

There are numerous examples of fan service in the MG series. None of them had any particular reason..... except for Quiet. There was a reason for her to look like that, and it was tied into central story of game and previous character from earlier entry on series.

To try to pass it off as Kojima must have "felt the need" to justify the characters design, is so tone def and seemingly ignorant of the fanservice in almost every MGS entry that it has gotten to the point where I am finding it hard to believe that people saying this have actually played the earlier MGS entries.

Literally the series where you punch robot ninjas while a weaboo pisses himself in a locker

So yes
Having goofy moments hardly excuses MGS's missteps when it aims for drama (and it does plenty of times, usually to its detriment). This kind of tonal contrast isn't even something that's unique to Metal Gear Solid - see every Tarantino movie ever made for example or arguably the best-written game ever, Planescape: Torment.

It doesn't. Like I said, I don't personally believe it's wrong to have sexualized characters in gaming, and I certainly don't think it's wrong for players to enjoy them.

It's just that 1) She's sorely outta place in V considering the eye-roll inducing "serious game" vibe it seems to strive for, 2) They hyped her up like some integral, justified character. Just be forthcoming that she's supposed to be fan-service fun, and have the game openly treat her as what she is. Would have made the whole thing less embarrassing.

Serious game where for the vast majority of the running time you're slapping balloons on goats while listening to Billy Idol and rocket punching goons

Squire

Banned
Never played the game but as an outside observer she looks like a stripper, which is laughable for a game that takes itself as seriously as MSG. I don't have any problem with T&A in games, just saying she looks sorely out of place because of her outfit and body type.

So...I guess my point is that it's poor character design.

Stripper is a more accurate descriptor than I had anticipated. It's not just how she's dressed, but the way the camera ogles her and the way she's animated on Mother Base, in particular. And the reasoning for it is piss poor to the point of being intellectually insulting. It's not even a decent sci-fi contrivance, it's just bad.

I felt like Quiet actually could have been a cool character, but I got this sense that the game itself has no respect for her, let alone what the player might be thinking.

Games would then be the first medium to accomplish these things, because they are present in everything else under the sun.

And are rightfully called out on when everything else under the sun exhibit poor, embarrassing execution.

Serious game where for the vast majority of the running time you're slapping balloons on goats while listening to Billy Idol and rocket punching goons

Well yeah, I didn't say it pulled off being serious while balancing moments that feel like remnants of its superior, previous entries.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

This description sounds oddly familiar

Maybe Kojima should be treated like Michael Bay and we can move on.

It's sad because Quiet is a pretty accurate reflection of how women are negatively viewed within our society.

If we lived in a less sexist world, Quiet wouldn't have existed full stop.

Well, MGS has stupid silly shit in it for sure, but don't pretend it's a comedy series. It deals with war, WMDs, political corruption, child soldiers, torture, rape, PTSD, abusive government surveillance, self-sacrifice for patriotic reasons, and a whole lot of very serious, very dramatic issues.

But it's like Kojima is too much of a dumbass teenager at heart, and he wants to talk about "serious stuff" but can't help also putting ridiculous comic book shit like arbitrarily naked women and dudes that controls bees and shit. *shrugs*

Anyway, I don't think that "MGS is silly" has ever been a good defense for any of that crap, Quiet included. MGS could use humour in ways that doesn't degrade the final message (I think the humorous codec conversations are a good example), but sometimes, it doesn't, and that's too bad.

Not sure about "stupid silly shit" but more:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_relief

Whompa02

lol, yeah sure, those women are totally soldiers and snipers too right?

Pretty girls cant be snipers? What?

Because slobbering fat guys who spit bees out of their mouth are soldiers too.

Or the President of the United States with snake tentacle arms and samurai swords.

Metal Gear is not the place to judge the appearance of someone in contrast to real life...to be honest, Quiet is probably more believable than most of the shit in the MGS universe.

I feel like people just played MGSV, or didn't, and are judging this without any prior knowledge to the franchise...this is just another day in a world where giant T-Rex sounding bipedal robots are the pinnacle of military might.

Jawmuncher

Quiet had some good ideas, but there was some pretty bad ideas there as well. Outfit along with that rain scene was just dumb.

Top Bottom