• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust is settled, Quiet's probably the most embarrassing gaming character

SilentRob

"Yeah, Quiet, thanks and all, I would really like to manage my base though..."

tumblr_nu35hzReej1t6xtc8o1_r2_400.gif

"Yup, mhm, I got it, you look great! Would LOVE to send my troops ou..."

tumblr_nu8rif3TVQ1s6ub5do7_400.gif

"Got it! Would still love to just get some work do..."

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

"JESUS CHRIST QUIET, CALM THE FUCK DOWN"

Embarassing is the only word for it, yeah. After playing for 50 hours I can finally put some fucking clothes on her, yeah, but she still goes on looping these embarassing animations geared towards a horny 13-year-old in the background. The fact that people actually are not able to understand why this bullshit is not only unncessary and kinda offensive to both men (HEY! HEY! TITS! TITS! PLEASE STAY AWAKE! DO YOU LIKE THE GAME? NO? TITS THOUGH?!) and women (Quiet is the only female character of note and these animations are probably the most "charismatic" she ever gets, because apart from her erotic scenes she is basically devoid of any character, an empty shell. Especially disappointing considering Kojima created one of the greatest female characters in gaming with The Boss) and don't consider this blatant sexualisation as such but try to defend it with "Well, there was a vampire in that other game!" is kind of insane to me.

Zaptruder

Banned
So... are we angry that there's fan service and sexuality in games? Or that the justification isn't good enough?

If the justification isn't good enough, how would you have justified it?

I thought it was a good attempt, and tied back into the central theme running throughout the game quite neatly.

Even the sexy stuff kinda made sense in the context of the in-game explanation. Because she's mute, and because she likes Snake, she flirts with him physically.

If you're angry at sexuality in games, why? Because it drives away female gamers? Isn't that a broader industry issue?

Like even if you removed all unnecessary sexuality from the MGS series would female gamers be playing this anymore than they would otherwise have?

If 'those' cutscenes and some of the stuff she does in the helicopter didn't exist, I would disagree.

I really wanted to like Quiet because she is interesting but Kojima really went too far with the sexualisation that it didn't make sense with her personality. Hell, even if it was Eva preforming these acts in MGS3 it would still probably be too much.

Guevara

I think about this quote from Spinal Tap often. It's about the fictional band, but seems pretty applicable to games:

Marty DiBergi: Let's talk about your reviews a little bit. Regarding Intravenous Di Milo: "This tasteless cover is a good indicator of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth rate of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
Nigel Tufnel: That's...that's nitpicking, isn't it?​

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's a reason doe and it actually makes her pretty awesome when you know why.
I wrote a post on her story the other day.

She's an assassin sent to kill BB at the beginning of the game, gets set on fire, which conveniently only burns her lungs specifically, which get replaced by deus ex machinas called nanoma--I mean parasites. This means that she can't talk or else she'll kill BB, who she admires because she saved his ass when he almost got himself killed trying to take down a jet. So now she sits there and hums, because even tho she has no lungs her deus ex machinas can do anything the writer says they can so she can actually talk. Buuuutttt, as the game goes on she doesn't write shit down, or use sign language even after becoming cooperative and going on missions with Venom Snake. Incredibly gross sexualization is the tip of the iceberg for the nonsense that went into that character. She's just like, the epitome of everything wrong with women in games to the point that it's honestly astounding.

It makes very little sense.

I think OM Samus is worse because it completely ruined a well-established, strong female character for absolutely no reason and more or less killed Metroid for 5+ years now.
That is definitely a good argument. Especially the part about us still not getting a mainline Metroid game after several years.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for stupid, and ridiculous fan-service. And I'm all for having fun with objectifying gaming characters (regardless of gender.) I don't personally believe that objectifying a character is inherently a bad thing. But, maybe if the game had more of a sense of humor, and tongue in cheek personality, it could have pulled a character like Quiet off without coming across like some pandering piece of work that doesn't have any self-awareness.
Exactly - context is everything. If a context does not take itself too seriously, then things can pass as tongue-cheek-silly/goofy. When a context takes itself fairly seriously, though, the silliness/goofiness flies out the window.

And that's the problem with many 'high profile' / AAA / you-name-it titles - they take themselves too damn seriously. While pulling the 'but it's only a videogame' card when convenient. Unfortunately you cannot both have the cake and eat it.

Ralemont

not me
There are games banned on GAF because of their sexual depictions of underage girls and you think Quiet's the most embarrassing? Try playing Demon Gaze in an airport. I was looking over my shoulder for the FBI.

Kanashimi

I dunno, while people complained about men getting fan-service from Quiet... I didn't hear anyone complain about the girls getting fan-service from Snake (dat ass). Nudity and fan-service aren't bad, specifically concerning fictional characters. Quiet had her story based reasons and as other people have brought up, there's been plenty of other characters who didn't in the Metal Gear franchise.

I don't get why this is a thing people keep bringing up and don't talk about the other side. You can't just take away fan-service for males and keep it in for females. That's not fair. Vamp was shirtless all the time, but no one argued with that. Raiden was butt naked running around and the only comments were his lack of, uh, well, anything. I also seem to remember a date with Kaz in a speedo, but maybe my memory is foggy.

Point is, it's a two way street. Quiet as an "embarrassment" seems more self-projected considering she had actual story reasons to drive her character.

This is the most embrassing post in the history of gaming...

Joking aside, that title is flame bait. I disagree completley. When youve played alot of eroge, I can tell you ive seen alot more sexualised designs on female character. Personally loved Quiet. Her and Skullface pushed the games themes quite well.

LeonSPBR

I don't see anything wrong, but calling her the most embarrassing is one hell of a exaggeration. I found Lara from the 90 way more embarrassing IMO. Samus in Metroid Other M is another. Hell the protagonist in the game Blades of Time or Onechanbara, they are way worse than Quiet.

Satch

Banned
"Yeah, Quiet, thanks and all, I would really like to manage my base though..."

tumblr_nu35hzReej1t6xtc8o1_r2_400.gif

"Yup, mhm, I got it, you look great! Would LOVE to send my troops ou..."

tumblr_nu8rif3TVQ1s6ub5do7_400.gif

"Got it! Would still love to just get some work do..."

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

"JESUS CHRIST QUIET, CALM THE FUCK DOWN"

Embarassing is the only word for it, yeah. After playing for 50 hours I can put some fucking clothes on her, yeah, but she still goes on with those freaking animations geared towards a horny 13-year-old.

these gifs are blatant as all hell........sheesh

Draft

The problem with Quiet is not the out of place sexuality. It's not the leering male gaze. It's not even the hamfisted explanation for the previous two things. It's all of that being the base for some pretty graphic depictions of sexual violence.

If Quiet were just a piece of cheesecake engaging in comic book heroics, no harm on my end. When she's being held down by men clearly trying to rape her, it's gross. As cheesecake, her dumb outfit is kind of empowering. As a subject of a real and horrible type of sexual violence, her outfit is just disgusting.

So... are we angry that there's fan service and sexuality in games? Or that the justification isn't good enough?

If the justification isn't good enough, how would you have justified it?

I thought it was a good attempt, and tied back into the central theme running throughout the game quite neatly.

Even the sexy stuff kinda made sense in the context of the in-game explanation. Because she's mute, and because she likes Snake, she flirts with him physically.

If you're angry at sexuality in games, why? Because it drives away female gamers? Isn't that a broader industry issue?

Like even if you removed all unnecessary sexuality from the MGS series would female gamers be playing this anymore than they would otherwise have?

If you wanna give me Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball in my Metal Gear then just step up to it, and present it as such. Have fun with it, poke fun at it, and make it as fun and vulgar as ever. But don't present it in some self-important package and pretend it's some critical, highly justified piece of the narrative.

I wrote a post on her story the other day.

It makes very little sense.

Don't forget how you can make her wear clothes even though she can't wear clothes apparently.

It's amazing seeing people trying to rationalise how she acts in the game, not realising that the designers have (poorly) manipulated her background in extreme ways which conveniently leave her as SSS pandering material. Even though these justifications regularly contradict themselves often.

Young men are so easily tricked that it's a actually quite startling.

Btw OP, the dust never settled, GAF has been pretty vocal about how they felt about Quiet.

Me personally I don't care, it's a video game, meant for entertainment....

maxcriden

I think OM Samus is worse because it completely ruined a well-established, strong female character for absolutely no reason and more or less killed Metroid for 5+ years now.

I think strong female character is unfortunately a bit of a stretch, at least in terms of a consistent portrayal. Metroid and Zero Mission for example both 'rewarded' the player with increasingly scantily-clad depictions of Samus. Nintendo sort of moved away from this but ... My point is, Other M is a massive backslide for the character, but her depiction was problematic from the get-go.

Could be worse though. With the way a lot of Japanese developers are going lately (even Nintendo) she could be child on top everything else.

Nintendo? That hurts to read. Is this from Xenoblade or Fire Emblem, I'm guessing? 😕

Ferrio

Banned
Kojima some how topped the beauties from mgs4, I didn't think that was possible. It's not just the T&A but everything about the character is stupid. Crowning moment was the rain scene, even if she was fully clothed it'd still be awkward as hell.

Kolx

I agree that the clothing and some scenes were really stupid and shouldn't have been there, but the character's personality and story in general wasn't that bad at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The problem with Quiet is not the out of place sexuality. It's not the leering male gaze. It's not even the hamfisted explanation for the previous two things. It's all of that being the base for some pretty graphic depictions of sexual violence.

If Quiet were just a piece of cheesecake engaging in comic book heroics, no harm on my end. When she's being held down by men clearly trying to rape her, it's gross. As cheesecake, her dumb outfit is kind of empowering. As a subject of a real and horrible type of sexual violence, her outfit is just disgusting.
Yes, all of the problems are absolutely exacerbated by these scenes.
^ I mean wtf. Really? I legit want to ask how Kojima possibly thinks this is the antithesis of women in games.

Btw OP, the dust never settled, GAF has been pretty vocal about how they felt about Quiet.

Me personally I don't care, it's a video game, meant for entertainment....
"It's a video game" is never a valid excuse. The medium is so much better than this.

Durden77

Quiet's story and her arc are great, but the way she's presented, not so much.

I know Kojima's going to Kojima, but the dudes watching her shower and saying "OH YEAH OH GOD YEAH" was a bit much even knowing that. Like wtf how was that allowed on the base? And if we're going down that road, why wouldn't they do it more often? Have dudes like camping out down there for when she's going to shower when you go down there. Fuck it, if you've already decided where you're going, you my as well try to turn that "joke" scene into an actual joke by going for it more. But it's just left in that weird halfway point, like it's Kojima saying, " Yeah, you know why she's here."

But yeah I mean, that's just Kojima though. For better or worse. I mean there's a trophy in the game called "To the rescue" that is specifically for rescuing a female prisoner. I'm suprised there's not more hooplah about that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The actual reason she's "quiet" at least makes sense. The other stuff really is just a specific type of pandering. Particularly the bond/helicopter stuff.

I think probably the worst thing is that someone directed the actress and told her to basically present to the camera.

CrazyHal

What really rubs me the wrong way is that pathetic attempt to justify her outfit with that bullshit breathe trough skin explanation. I would have MUCH more respect for kojima if he would just have been honest and admit that she was designed the way she is for the sole purpose of sex appeal and nothing else.

Say what you will about fan service games but at least the devs are 100% honest about them.

marzlapin

This type of comment, along with others in this thread just leaves me scratching my head wondering if any of you have played the series before and listen to Kojima.

First off

SniperWolf1.jpg

Sniper Wolf, Awesome sniper, but dressed like that...... while in the middle of Alaska.
Any explanation on that? Nope

The Beauty and Beasts photoshoots.......... Pure Fanservice
Any explanation on that? Nope

There are numerous examples of fan service in the MG series. None of them had any particular reason..... except for Quiet. There was a reason for her to look like that, and it was tied into central story of game and previous character from earlier entry on series.

To try to pass it off as Kojima must have "felt the need" to justify the characters design, is so tone def and seemingly ignorant of the fanservice in almost every MGS entry that it has gotten to the point where I am finding it hard to believe that people saying this have actually played the earlier MGS entries.

The problem with MGSV and Quiet specifically, aside from what's been mentioned already, is first of all the escalation of the fanservice over the series' life, and secondly the utter lack of female characters with actual character development in the rest of V.

Cleavage down the navel is a thing with various female characters throughout the series, but they otherwise act pretty normally unless they're being seductive for a reason (Eva). By the time MGS4 comes around though, you can perv on the Beauties while they pose sexily in skintight suits, which is one step removed from Quiet presenting her ass to you like an animal in the ACC or showering while soldiers call her a "dirty girl", but not quite as cringeworthy.

The thing that all the other MGS games have, though, is female characters with character development. All of the returning female characters who appear in MGSV are dead, then you have Quiet, and the Skull sniper unit (silent, interchangeable bikini-clad women whose defining characteristic is their T&A, just look at the camera work during their intro). Sure you have the odd female soldier you can capture and recruit, and even play as, but these aren't real characters. The issues with Quiet may not have looked as egregious with another female character to contrast her with, but there aren't any.

Agreed with OP. Also don't forget the colossal plot hole where she could've written shit down on paper if being a mute was imperative. But last I heard the
vocal chord parasites
didn't affect writing!

Alfredo

I haven't listened to ANY of the tapes, so forgive me if I'm absolutely wrong on some points, but here were my thoughts on Quiet before finishing the game:

She would've been cool if
she was literally a plant. Like, she was a plant that turned into a human and was trying her hardest to pretend to be human, but she was bad at it, explaining why she doesn't act like a human being at all with her weird poses and rolling around in the rain and stuff.

And my thoughts after finishing the game:

Quiet MIGHT have been a cool character
before she got turned into a plant lady by the parasites or whatever. I want to see more of Quiet mercing dudes and stuff while still being able to wear clothes and speak English and stuff.

The actual reason she's "quiet" at least makes sense. The other stuff really is just a specific type of pandering. Particularly the bond/helicopter stuff.

I think probably the worst thing is that someone directed the actress and told her to basically present to the camera.
Yes it made sense but you know what didn't? The fact that she didn't communicate in writing! That's just something I'll never forgive. Everytime shit could've gone better if Quiet could communicate something I kept thinking "why won't she grab a pen and paper and write it???"

Well, we disagree there. But on the whole, yes, I think Quiet is extremely embarrassing. If you can sit through her writhing around nearly naked in the rain as the camera pans around her ass and boobs and not feel embarrassed, I just don't understand. She is pure objectified garbage. Worse yet, Kojima apparently felt like there was an excuse for it all with that "you'll be ashamed of your words" bullshit. No, Kojima, you should be ashamed of your work.*

*(On Quiet. I like MGS as a whole.)
I agree.
Loved MGSV, but quiet was fucking TRASH.
"you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" my ASS. Kojima should be ashamed tbh

poodaddy

Well, we disagree there. But on the whole, yes, I think Quiet is extremely embarrassing. If you can sit through her writhing around nearly naked in the rain as the camera pans around her ass and boobs and not feel embarrassed, I just don't understand. She is pure objectified garbage. Worse yet, Kojima apparently felt like there was an excuse for it all with that "you'll be ashamed of your words" bullshit. No, Kojima, you should be ashamed of your work.*

*(On Quiet. I like MGS as a whole.)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but on topic:

I can't help but wonder if part of Quiet's ridiculously stupid design was born out of Konami's outside influence. I'm not saying Kojima's innocent here as the man's always been a fan of the fan service shit, (MGS4.....holy shit I literally think it was worse in action than Quiet's), but Konami's whole "erotic violence" thing recently has me wondering if it was implied by Konami management, through subtle outside suggestion or otherwise, that including overt sexuality related fan service in their products was highly recommended or even required. You'd be surprised by how much company culture can influence ones mind set in the creative realm. Kojima is a smart guy who's capable of better writing and design than Quiet, and I really don't want to believe that the fault for her inclusion is purely owed to him.
The man needs to work on his PR skills though, cuz I ain't ashamed of shit Kojima, I'm just embarrassed to play the game around my wife. Doesn't seem like I'm the one that should be ashamed.

Here's hoping his new venture with Sony produces more tasteful writing and character design, and I honestly believe it will.

Vlaphor

Yes it made sense but you know what didn't? The fact that she didn't communicate in writing! That's just something I'll never forgive. Everytime shit could've gone better if Quiet could communicate something I kept thinking "why won't she grab a pen and paper and write it???"

I thought the reason she didn't communicate was that she was still kinda pissed at Venom and that she wasn't sure what she wanted to do.

Here's hoping his new venture with Sony produces more tasteful writing and character design, and I honestly believe it will.

Kojima mentioned that being independent will allow him to work on edgier projects. As someone who enjoyed Quiet, I'm looking forward to seeing what that means.

Top Bottom