• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the price is known, which one will you get? PS5 Digital $399 / £359 or PS5 Disc $499 / £449

Which PS5 will you get?

• Disc $499 / £449

Votes: 213 71.7%
  • Digital $399 / £ 359

Votes: 84 28.3%

• Total voters

mekes

Why would you get digital?

If you go digital, your forced to buy from the PS Store for $70+ a game, thats insane!!

I get the $100 gap is appealing but think about how much you would end up spending from the PS Store in the long term.....

Digital is not worth it and so expensive!!

You are of course right and it is such a shame. I have a lot of time for digital by the time that worthwhile sales kick in.

For those that are thinking going for the digital model, are you aware of what it will cost to expand the storage space on the PS5 DE?

Leonidas

Digital is the only one I'd consider as paying an extra $100 for a disc drive is a joke. That being said I won't buy any PS5 till Sony releases an exclusive that interests me as a PC gamer and even then I've now set a 3 year timer before commiting to buy a Sony exclusive as I want to see if the game eventually appears on PC. If I buy PS5 digital I'd most likely do it only when the handful of eventual exclusives that I want can be had digitally for $20 or less (though I'd buy them at a higher price if they show up on PC sooner...)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Been moving my collection to digital for awhile now, so the digital version is a no-brainer.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I only buy games digitally but I have some blu rays so I'll probably get the disc version

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Until your paying full price for old games and us physical media guys are paying pennies on the dollar.

Haha I get double punished as the New Zealand digital store has ridiculous prices. Having a US account helps get that slight "discount" though.

ebevan91

For those that are thinking going for the digital model, are you aware of what it will cost to expand the storage space on the PS5 DE?

Best Buy has 1TB external SSDs for $160 which isn't that bad. I do think I'll get the disc version though. I'd still like to be able to pop in my PS4 games from time to time.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Don't plan on buying a PS5 at all but if I were it'd be the digital model. I'm 100% digital. Physical media needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't plan on buying a PS5 at all but if I were it'd be the digital model. I'm 100% digital. Physical media needs to go the way of the dinosaur.
Soon as these digital stores reduce in price to match no used games and no retail cut. Screw paying 70 dollars for a game I'll play once for 10 hours.

Ten_Fold

For me disc

pros for disc- can buy second hand games cheap
Can easily trade games
Won’t take up a ton of space
Can play games a week early if you have a shop near that sells games early

pros for digital- cheaper than the disc version
Disc drive can’t fail because no disc drive.

Joey.

I think I'm going with Disc version.
For space reasons & possibly movies or physical games but I most play/watch digital.

Astral Dog

I find the PS5 Digital a bit revolting tbh, ok i noticed a few days ago, Dark Souls 3 priced at 59.99 on PStore, funny i remember buying the disc for cheaper some months after release 🤔
They want to keep gamers controlled and limited to their store, what about finding some game on sale at a retail store?nope you have to buy it on digital silly.
Yes there will be sales and all that but i fear most people that buy their PS5 digital won't save $100 in the long run, some games will be cheaper others more expensive but there is no choice anymore for them.

Now you might think, well they are providing the consumer a choice between digital and physical, but by making one cost $100 less they are pushing the digital version and helping kill the retail market,good for Sony but i argue its bad for the consumers, there is no freedom anymore.

A very important point, with Xbox at least GamePass box provides plenty of content for a cheap subscription (and cheaper price for the box even if the specs aren't up to PS5) there is no such thing with PS5 Digital Edition, PlayStation store is NOT Gamepass,its not the same value unless they make big changes im very worried about this im hoping im wrong for everybody sake

I'm forced to go digital due to the taxes in my country, I don't even use physical media anymore thanks to it.
They don't tax your digital goods? Lucky

Digity

Historically, I've always traded in my games, but I can't even remember the last time I did (other than Nintendo first party). How long will it take me to trade in $100 worth of games to make the disc version worth it? :confused:
Don't trade them in? Sell them privately.

Luck

Fuck digital, Disk and used games only for me...

Someone will buy new game for 80 euros, the resell it for me for like 30-50 euro, I will complete it, resell it futher for like 5-10 euros less, and so on. And thats how each game usually cost me 5-10 euro, no more... (I don't need them in my library after completion)

80 euros for game or waiting for promotions is an abstraction for me...

Last edited:
Disc. The lower price of physical games will have offset the higher starting cost within about 10 purchases, and I'll have a way to play 4K blu ray discs.

Relativ9

Why would you get digital?

If you go digital, your forced to buy from the PS Store for $70+ a game, thats insane!!

I get the $100 gap is appealing but think about how much you would end up spending from the PS Store in the long term.....

Digital is not worth it and so expensive!!

Convenience...I make more in the hour it would take me to go to the store and buy a game then I would save from buying physical over digital. I'm better off working an extra hour, which I find far more enjoyable then going to the mall. I also don't have to clutter my house full of plastic stuff. And finally I believe games will have to be installed to the SSD anyway to function optimally, so you won't even be saving space.

noise36

Disc. 4k movies and resell games.

This.

The digital only consoles are going to cost people double or triple over the life of the console, a total scam, I hope people don't fall for it.

Xbox has game pass so no need to purchase RRP games.

PS5DE just has RRP game, probably $99 AUD yikes.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
This.

The digital only consoles are going to cost people double or triple over the life of the console, a total scam, I hope people don't fall for it.
How so?

I went all digital and i pay a lot less for games plus psnow saves me even more.

chonga

Digital or not the games will be installed to the SSD anyway. No chance of games running of the disc
I think they were going for the angle people who go digital already spout about 'I can build a library and I don't have to change the disc!'

Achillias

Anyone still buying the PS5 digital only console knowing the new retail prices of playstation games is not right in his mind. You're even going to pay more than physical copies from the digital store.

noise36

How so?

I went all digital and i pay a lot less for games plus psnow saves me even more.

Physical are discounted at launch and can be resold, playing a game cost very little maybe $20 when you net it all out.

Last edited:

Digity

zd13qPm.jpg

Sony just announced the Canadian prices.

PlayStation 5 Digital Edition: CAD$499.99 (RRP)
PlayStation 5 with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc: CAD$629.99 (RRP)

Top Bottom