• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Ps5 version do you have? Ps5 Disc Version or Ps5 Digital Edition?

Which Ps5 Version do you have?

• Ps5 Disc Version

Votes: 294 81.2%
  • Ps5 Digital Edition

Votes: 68 18.8%

• Total voters

Monokrom

PS5 Disc version since day 1. Was no doubt about getting that, wanted to play my old PS4 games.
Also the physical games are cheaper.

Last edited:
The pole should have been:
- Disc
- Digital
- Disc (wanted digital)
- Digital (wanted disc)

They barely made any digitals at the start so I’d be curious to see if people settled on their choice.

Disc. I will rarely buy a digital media, usually only if that's the only option (some small indie game) or ultra deep discount (90%). Not really into digital ownership.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Disc.

I still have a handful of physical games. Oddly they are PSVR 1, lol.

I also have some 3D blu rays with the hope that Sony can allow 3D blu ray playback. I miss this about PSVR1 and the PS4.

Disc version. I had a big collection of PS4 discs and almost always prefer physical to digital. I'll be physical until it's no longer an option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Disc version since I buy 90% games I play are physical copy….and if for some reason I decided to do digital I still have that option.

Last edited:
Disc and very intentionally - i often buy collectors editions for games I look forward to most and find that physical game deals are better than digital. At the end of the day I like optionality though - there have been plenty of games I bought digital because the deal was too good.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Digital. Sold my PS4 Pro with an upgraded hard drive during covid and made bank on it due to hardware shortages. Upgrading to the PS5 basically cost me $50.

blakdecaf

Digital. Love it, so much more sleek looking than the standard.

Had it since launch and only a couple times I’ve missed being able to grab a physical copy of a game.

supernova8

Banned
Never will I go all digital

Harry Potter No GIF
Yeah I only went digital via Series S because I knew I was going to only play Game Pass anyway. Absolutely wouldn't go digitial only for Playstation 5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2 disc versions. They are in different areas of the house so physical discs can be shared between them.

same. I won't go digital with Sony until I can buy game codes cheaper. Or if they go the game pass route and make their single player games day one or year one on plus.

Codeblew

I didn't expect the difference to be that much. I chose to go for the digital because I was half digital already on PS4. Plus, I am not a nostalgic gamer that plays a lot of 10+ year old games. I played pong/pacman/donkey kong/etc in the late 70's/early 80's. Don't want to play that shit now.

Duchess

Physical edition.

I mostly buy physical games, but will pick up digital games that are heavily discounted (by which I mean, under £10 / $13).

I sell most of my games when I'm done with them, too.

Aaron Olive

1. Digital because of convenience and I only buy games when they go on sale.

2. We live in the IDGAF era of gaming where shit always comes out fucking broken which supports example 1 of just waiting for a sale.

Last edited:
Disc version. PS Store prices are extortion, I can find TLOU1 Remake for £30ish at my local Cex store, and then £50-70 on the PS Store. This is the trend across all the major games.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Digital Edition. I got each at launch, but had no intention to use discs and I think the DE looks better. Sold the Disc versions to friends at cost.

foamdino

Went with disc version as we had some PS4 disc games that I still wanted to play. I mainly buy digital these days, but my boy is often given discs for birthday/Christmas from family as it's easy for them to buy and it means he has something to unwrap - seriously don't underestimate what that means to a kid on Christmas morning (even if he had the exact same games digitally, there's something about seeing them wrapped under a tree that means a lot).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I originally had the disc version because the digital was much more difficult to find. I sold that before the shortage ended(no scalp) and got my money back. A couple months later I was able to get a DE and a Pulse3D headset with the same money. I prefer digital, and the DE looks better than the disc edition with the weird bulge, especially in black. I don't plan on buying many games for PS5, it's mostly just for PS+ Extra.

Sw0pDiller

i own the DE. I barely played disk version games on my PS4 so I decided to go full digital. I am in my mid 40-ties and dont have the time anymore to play all games directly at launch. So the high price of some newer games dont bother that much. Most of the times i place the game that I want in my favorite basket in the app and act on price drops and discount when I wantto play a new game. Some exceptions offcourse because Elden Ring, Demon's Souls and COD were games that I bought at launch. usually I can wait until full prices games are around 40 euro.

still, I had to buy a stand alone BR player for movies and get rid of some of the PS4 games i had laying around. if i could do it again i would have bought the disk version. but PS5 was only available via scalpers so i did not had a choice.

acidagfc

Disk version, but it is still a virgin, no disks were ever inserted. I am all digital since PS4.

Bought this one because they were scalped like crazy. I was not able to find one at retail price, bought from a scalper, so the difference between DE and fatty was negligible. Prices really only stabilized like 6-8 months ago.

Might still use it as a Bluray player one day.

lol I am shocked by your honesty. Well played :p I can accept that :p
Well, I like the XBox better and the plastic used on the PS5 is up to SONY's usually crappy standards, like with my launched PS3 that marks and shows up dust.
That scratch happened when I was just putting my PS5 VR back and the end of the lead that you plugged into the PS5 dragged against the plastic; It's another area the XBox team did better with the design of the look and shell of the console :p

Killjoy-NL

Digital, my son owns Disc .

But as a dad, I've been buying games digital for years, since that was the best way to share games with my son so we could play together.

Perfectly fine with that, but I don't think digital-only should be the future.

Top Bottom