• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the best time for Sony to bring Crash home?

crash would probably bomb. not worth the money. let's see how ratchet and clank does first
Ratchet never had sales anywhere near crash. And the crash games never had the visuals or appeal since the ps games.

Crash was bigger than mario until he was kicked out and held hostage at Activision. It's time we bring him home.

Probably the best looking game ever made. Same basic level design but much better controls and animation with cart racing mixed in. Part open world like mario 64 with collectibles, and the linear levels as its main level. Cart racing, flying, wave race and snowboarding as extra special levels. Plus whatever else. It woild be a big title. Give me the director chair and I'll make sure it's a game you wanna play :)
Hey. I'm from a leading triple A game publisher. Your everything but the kitchen sink game design philosophy is incredibly innovative. Why hasn't someone come to me and pitched an idea like this before?

I've got a hundred million dollars waiting for you. This is sure to be the first title to hit the magical 100 metacritic score.

Once mascot platformers are once again the number one selling genre, I will release the funds. Then together we will gather an unrivalled team to create your magnum opus. With Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Platinum, Ready at Dawn and David Cage behind us nothing's gonna stop us! Let the pre orders commenced.

The only Crash game you're ever getting is some free to play gibberish from the Activision / King buyout

Crash is relic of the past. 3D platforming has become niche these days and Sony sure as hell won't pay big money to buy Crash IP. In fact, when was the last time Sony bought an IP from a publisher?

I would actually say with every passing moment that takes us further and further away from the 90s it is less and less the best time to bring Crash back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ND has artistic freedom now, and that resulted in Uncharted and TLOU.

Actually, it was Sony flexing its muscle as Naughty Dog's parent company that lead to the creation of Uncharted. There's no denying that Sony treats ND better than, say, Microsoft treats 343i in terms of creative freedom, but at the end of the day it is a subsidiary and that means, to put it simply, Sony gets what Sony wants -- you'd be deluding yourself to think that Fantasy Game -> Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the one and only time Sony has stepped in to say, "Stop what you're doing. We don't see the value in this."

Because people like Jason Rubin, Andy Gavin, and many key people that worked on Crash Bandicoot are no longer with Naughty Dog. Key members of current ND such as Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann had nothing to do with Crash 1-3.
I know this and u know rubin is an artistic nut that also went to try and make his own comics after departing. Guess we can bring him back as a consultant. It isn't like Sony can't hire people who worked on the series. Isn't that impossible. But would be great if they did.

Let Crash die already. It wasn't even that good back in the days.
Crash makes me very nostalgic. I still remember playing Crash 2 on my uncle's console at my grandma's before buying a PS1 myself. My granma was still alive at the time and she was so happy of me visiting.
Those are fond memories to me.

As an huge retrogamer I went back to Crash as I did with many games. Turns out the magic was gone. Crash took my nostalgia goggoles and smashed them on the ground.

Crash 1 was a DKC spoof. I coupldn't help but quit in disgust. It was a fake 3D game since everything you did was going straight haead or going 2D mode. Also controls were too splippery for my tastes.
Crash was a classic mediocre platformer from the 90ties. Nothing less and nothing more than Aereo the Acrobat, Mr. Nutz and such.
I still playied Crash 1 with some friend. Those people never played a proper platformer from the 16 bit era so they still enjoyed Crash. I just did the levels my friends were too bad to deal with.

Crash 2 hurted me more than 1 since it was my favourite. Same as 1 and boring as hell. Ice level and sewer level were always my favourite.
What if i replayed them and they were complete shit? I loved the motor surfboard levels too and playin them as an adult was awful. In order to keep my fond memories safe I had to stop playing.

I didn't bother playing Crash 3. It was alteady weak back in the days and I was already fed up with disappointment.

Same thing happened with Spyro, Tomba, Monster Rancher, Digimon World and other PS1 games I enjoyed as a kid.
The only game that wasn't awfult to go back is Ape Escape. AE is good but still boring sometimes.

Actually, it was Sony flexing its muscle as Naughty Dog's parent company that lead to the creation of Uncharted. There's no denying that Sony treats ND better than, say, Microsoft treats 343i in terms of creative freedom, but at the end of the day it is a subsidiary and that means, to put it simply, Sony gets what Sony wants -- you'd be deluding yourself to think that Fantasy Game -> Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the one and only time Sony has stepped in to say, "Stop what you're doing. We don't see the value in this."
Yep, making cars and buildings isn't a lot of artistic freedom. Since I'm creating my own art project I have learned one thing. Most artists can only do things in the way they see and it's hard to actually find.People that can not only get ur idea but to actually do what you want.

Tingle

Tearaway is a good game but it hardly has anything there that stands out to make people want it. Visuals of Tearaway alone do make it a hard sell. Crash didn't have equal visuals at the time of its release. I admit that crash was a visual power and how it gained a lot of its appeal in the 90s. I'm not a guy that puts visuals first, one of my favorite games is sky odyssey and that is on pure design and gameplay.

But, top end visuals will need to play a part in it. It wouod fail with Tearaway visuals. I'm not even saying they are bad, the paper look is good but it's obviously closer to ps2.5 than anything ps4 can do.

The new ratchet looks good but kidding from a few other games we can go a lot harder and better.

I suppose I am really not following your thought process. You think that cover shooters and the like aren't innovative. So, to bring in innovation you want to revive an old IP and do everything the same, except make it look nicer?

I don't think Crash will sell, and graphics have nothing to do with that. No matter how nice Crash looks, it will still be a mascot platformer, and Crash is particularly risque to me. His design screams "90s". He wears tennis shoots and torn up jeans, and has big bulging eyes. He was truely made for another era, I just don't think he can come back with the current state of the market.

Never underestimate nostalgia.

Even the casual gamer now in their 20's would love to play a crash game again.

If that's the case why did Crash of the Titans and Mind over Mutant not really bother the sales charts?

The only Crash game that'd sell in this day and age is a remastered Crash 1 or something, and it wouldn't sell at more than $10 (if that) so wouldn't be worth the investment. The only other way to make money from Crash is to market a game at little kids and get a new generation into Crash, but that's not going to happen on a Sony platform exclusively and isn't the game anyone on GAF would want anyway.

Let Crash die already. It wasn't even that good back in the days.
Crash makes me very nostalgic. I still remember playing Crash 2 on my uncle's console at my grandma's before buying a PS1 myself. My granma was still alive at the time and she was so happy of me visiting.
Those are fond memories to me.

As an huge retrogamer I went back to Crash as I did with many games. Turns out the magic was gone. Crash took my nostalgia goggoles and smashed them on the ground.

Crash 1 was a DKC spoof. I coupldn't help but quit in disgust. It was a fake 3D game since everything you did was going straight haead or going 2D mode. Also controls were too splippery for my tastes.
Crash was a classic mediocre platformer from the 90ties. Nothing less and nothing more than Aereo the Acrobat, Mr. Nutz and such.
I still playied Crash 1 with some friend. Those people never played a proper platformer from the 16 bit era so they still enjoyed Crash. I just did the levels my friends were too bad to deal with.

Crash 2 hurted me more than 1 since it was my favourite. Same as 1 and boring as hell. Ice level and sewer level were always my favourite.
What if i replayed them and they were complete shit as the levels? I loved the motor surfboard levels too and playin them as an adult was awful. In order to keep my fond memories safe I had to stop playing.

I didn't bother playing Crash 3. It was weak after 2 and I fas already fed up with disappointment.

Same thing happened with Spyro, Tomba, Monster Rancher, Digimon World and other PS1 games I enjoyed as a kid.
The only game that wasn't awfult to go back is Ape Escape. AE is good but still boring sometimes.
Had some non gamers playing crash earlier this year, it was by far the games they liked best from all the new study on ps3 and 4. A lot of today's games are so out of touch for most people. Really...

Tingle

When did I claim Sony didn't have the ability to direct its studios? But sure, I didn't know it was originally a fantasy game. I'm not really sure what that changes, though. Naughty Dog is currently a studio made for making third person cover shooters, and those are what is big right now. Why push them to something which would sell less despite their huge successes?

I'd love to see a new Crash game. I think it'd be more suited to the mobile market at this time though, at least in the interim.

A big platformer on the PS4 wouldn't be so easy to do. Not when Ratchet + Clank' run went fairly average on PS3 despite a few games.

To be honest if Sony were to launch Crash (after getting all the rights ect.) I think it'd probably get a similar reception to Banjo Kazooie: Nuts + Bolts or if they launched a new kart game, the best it could do would be something like Sonic + Sega All Stars Racing.

A lot seem to think he and platformers in general won't/don't sell. What about Nintendo? Crash might actually have a fighting chance with them. My idea? Get Nintendo and the Lego City Undercover folks at TT Fusion to team up again for an open-world Crash game for NX, I think Crash can truly excel here. Sony outside of Ratchet have basically given up on platformers (Tearaway's numbers on Vita and seemingly PS4 didn't help).

My two cents. Hell Nintendo worked with Activision twice this gen; first borrowing Freestyle Games to make Sing Party, and got DK and Bowser in Skylanders Superchargers.

Tingle

A lot seem to think he and platformers in general won't/don't sell. What about Nintendo? Crash mightr actually have a fighting chance with them. my idea? Get Nintendo and the Lego City Undercover folks at TT Fusion to team up again for a n open-world Crash game for NX, I think Crash can truly excel here. Sony outside of Ratchet have basically given up on platformers (Tearaway's numbers on Vita and seemingly PS4 didn't help).

My two cents. Hell Nintendo worked with Activision twice this gen; first borrowing Freestyle Games to make Sing Party, and got DK and Bowser in Skylanders Superchargers.

Then you have to deal with the issue of being a third party game on a NIntendo console, which might even be a worse fate than being a platformer on the PS4.

Edit: To clarify a bit more, as your pointed out, Nintendo already has so many platformers, that I don't see why a third party would want to try to compete with them. Nintendo does sell platformers, and their fans are clearly the right audiance, but Nintendo probably meets their needs already. Nintendo has a large amount of platformers each year as is.

I do like that idea somewhat though, the lower budget from being on Nintendo hardware is probably more realistic for Crash. I suppose they could try doing a lower budget Crash game on the PS4- perhaps using the same graphics as the original and launching it as a "classic" type thing?

I expected that Activision were going to put Crash into Skylanders years ago, but it never happened.
Maybe casue they have some sort of deal with Sony or stalling point?

What are the reasons activion doesn't use him in something? Even cod shoulder patches or something

Not a conspiracy theory but it does seem strange they don't put him in something.

Does he sell well enough on ps classics to keep activion happy with free money?

Rurunaki

I'm down for a Crash revival. Doesn't even have to be a full budget triple AAA title. Only issue will be who will handle it? ND said they wouldn't do it anymore, so maybe Sanzaru?

Candy Crash Saga

Crash would be a lower risk to develop for on mobile with more straight forward development and a smaller team making it. For a massive audience and a small price point or free, it's an easier sell.

Try getting the same numbers on a $60US/$100AUD game on a console.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Crash was bigger than people are remembering. Crash may not have been as popular as mario at any time. But there was a time the games were selling as well.

It's not whether or not Crash was big back in the day (he was, 7 million copies shipped of a game back then is phenomenal), it's that nobody cares anymore. Mascot stuff is basically dead outside of Mario, and Crash may be the most hilariously dated '90s mascot in existence. He's basically Poochie but not intended as a joke. Nobody in their right mind would bring that character back today as anything but a gag cameo.

The idea that Naughty Dog would want to go back to that is insane.

A lot seem to think he and platformers in general won't/don't sell. What about Nintendo? Crash might actually have a fighting chance with them. My idea? Get Nintendo and the Lego City Undercover folks at TT Fusion to team up again for an open-world Crash game for NX, I think Crash can truly excel here. Sony outside of Ratchet have basically given up on platformers (Tearaway's numbers on Vita and seemingly PS4 didn't help).

I'd this is the case can we just kill him. I'd hate to.see this happen. Open or semi open world didn't make sly cooper better. But open world hub would be ok..

It's not whether or not Crash was big back in the day (he was, 7 million copies shipped of a game back then is phenomenal), it's that nobody cares anymore. Mascot stuff is basically dead outside of Mario, and Crash may be the most hilariously dated '90s mascot in existence. He's basically Poochie but not intended as a joke. Nobody in their right mind would bring that character back today as anything but a gag cameo.

The idea that Naughty Dog would want to go back to that is insane.
I'd say people obviously care today, but we both can't see whines right if no game comes anyways.

That's right Dom! up to about 8 copies sold already ;)

Tingle

J-Skee

To echo what I said in another thread, a Crash Bandicoot game today as a modern 3D platformer would be amazing. Every time I think of the possibility, it gets me angry that SCE has yet to get the property back.

Crash was bigger than people are remembering. Crash may not have been as popular as mario at any time. But there was a time the games were selling as well.

Crash as a single-format game didn't sell anywhere near Mario 64 for any version. It only got close to Sunshine because it went multiformat, so what's the argument there for making it single-format again?

Either way is fine, but I'd prefer a Jak 1-style approach.
The issue with the jack or banjo style is that it leaves a lot of room for easy jumps and brain dead enemies and the games aren't as good imo. With the level design of Banjo, jak you really need the movement and flow of a mario 64 to make it fun and hard.

That is why crash works, he doesn't have the moves but he has the close hard jumps and quick timing of avoiding hits and damage.

Had some non gamers playing crash earlier this year, it was by far the games they liked best from all the new study on ps3 and 4. A lot of today's games are so out of touch for most people. Really...
Imo Crash have the Sonic Adventure 2 effect on people: first levels are grat but it's downhill from there.

My friends are gamers (or so they think). Only people from the 32-bit era enjoyed Crash. The same people grew with a PS1. They have the wrost technique ever. They're expecially terrible at fighting games.
The only guy that had a Snes is the only one with a decent technique. I never heard him even talking about Crash yet he's the worst Metal Gear fanboy ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did actually get Crash back. Activision hasn't done a damn thing with the IP in like 5 years or so, not even a Skylanders character. The official Crash site has been dead for a long while now and there's no evidence from Activision that they are doing anything with him in the future. If Final Fantasy VII Remake could remain a secret to the public then Sony getting the rights to Crash can as well.

Playstation Experience is coming up next month so who knows. All i'm saying is after last E3, nobody should should be writing anything off as impossible.

Crash as a single-format game didn't sell anywhere near Mario 64 for any version. It only got close to Sunshine because it went multiformat, so what's the argument there for making it single-format again?
Crash didn't go multiolatform. Not the good games anyways. I never knew the Activision games sold 5 million plus? Is that true?

neshcom

Banned
I'd this is the case can we just kill him. I'd hate to.see this happen. Open or semi open world didn't make sly cooper better. But open world hub would be ok..
But you definitely said you want an open world-style game?

This thread is so weird. Okay, you want an old-school Crash game, but that doesn't mean the demand is enough. For every fan that would drop 3 bills on Crash, fifty would not--that's why these games haven't appeared. For all the retro love for Crash, there is equal retro hate for when someone else tries to cash grab an old property. Not only would Naughty Dog not make it, it would still be published by Activision (obviously), who let it sit stagnant. Nostalgia plays are so unstable because it takes one compromise for fanatics to decry it a bastard before it ships.

Hooks

I would buy the shit out of that! Crash 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Why did they sell such a successful franchise anyway?

But you definitely said you want an open world-style game?

This thread is so weird. Okay, you want an old-school Crash game, but that doesn't mean the demand is enough. For every fan that would drop 3 bills on Crash, fifty would not--that's why these games haven't appeared. For all the retro love for Crash, there is equal retro hate for when someone else tries to cash grab an old property. Not only would Naughty Dog not make it, it would still be published by Activision (obviously), who let it sit stagnant. Nostalgia plays are so unstable because it takes one compromise for fanatics to decry it a bastard before it ships.

No I didn't, I said an open world area with levels attached and other special stages. I just didn't make the whole idea clear as it's not overly important cause Im not in charge of the game.

They had a small hub in the orignal games, just need to be expanded upon

According to Gamasutra, the first Crash Bandicoot game has sold 6.8 million units as of November 2003,[76] making it the seventh best-selling PlayStation game of all time. Cortex Strikes Back sold 3.87 million units in the U.S.,[77] while Warped sold 3.76 million

1996 N64 Super Mario 64 11.91
2002 NGC Super Mario Sunshine 5.91

Now, these numbers I found online may be wrong and I'd be happy to find better sales of all the mario and crash games if anyone has them. Mario 64 would be a hard game to beat as it's still to this day one of the best playing imo but to say crash wasn't near it in some form would be forgetting how big he and his commercials were at the time. Crash was really big no matter how you slice it, also sold very well in japan.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Bring him back and then kick-off the new gen kart racing genre with Crash Team Racing 2.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm pretty happy with the apparent demise of Crash, as I thought his games were stinkers at release. You can get much better platformers on any Nintendo console.

Top Bottom