• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the best time for Sony to bring Crash home?

I would buy the shit out of that! Crash 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Why did they sell such a successful franchise anyway?

They didnt, it was always Activision proprierty, ND just made the game (Like DmC and Ninja Theory)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They didnt, it was always Activision proprierty, ND just made the game (Like DmC and Ninja Theory)

It wasn't always Activision property. Universal signed Naughty Dog (before they were acquired by Sony) to make 3 games. First one was Crash Bandicoot. The other two were Crash 2 and 3. Crash Team Racing started as a potential Crash 3, and after Crash 3 came out, ND was far enough along in CTR's development that they went ahead and finished it.

Universal had a publishing deal with Sony up to and including Crash Bash. After the deal ended, the series went multiplatform for a bit, and then it was ultimately sold to Activision.

The sales he is refering too in europe are correct, they are in the playstation digital sales threads, every time crash is king of the classic range.

fhqwhgads

Crash is a weird case. He's still considered to be the star of the PS1 era, it's honestly surprising how many people still remember him, so there's still room for a nostalgia boost if any games are made. However, the big problem being that mascot platformers are pretty much dead outside of Nintendo is still there. LBP3 was a sales disappointment, Tearaway bombed twice, Puppeteer bombed, and the modern Rayman games sold far better on Nintendo consoles than other platforms. I'd say bringing back Crash is possible, but it would be a risk. Sony would have to give the game a ton of marketing and aim right for the nostalgia jugular if there's any hope for the game to be a success.

Not only Activision doesn't want to lend the property, Naughty Dog also said they're not interesting in going back to work on it, so I wonder why people still keep bringing them up.

Evilisk

Activision would sooner insert crash into Skylanders than give him his own game again.

This

Wait, he wasn't even in Playstation Battle Royale? Yikes.

You seriously didn't know that?

Crash was bigger than mario until he was kicked out and held hostage at Activision. It's time we bring him home.

Saying he was kicked out implies Crash was owned by Sony at some point

As has been said time and time (and time and time and time and time) again. Sony never owned Crash in the first place.

If Crash is ever going to return, it will be in Skylanders.

Weren't there at some point a few years ago a picture from within a Skylanders developer, showing a redesigned Crash? But that never turned into anything, so even Crash isn't even worth it for Skylanders.

Not only Activision doesn't want to lend the property, Naughty Dog also said they're not interesting in going back to work on it, so I wonder why people still keep bringing them up.

I think a lot of the crazy was fueled by a nostalgia ad made by a ad-agency that just threw everything Sony in the ad. And then people going crazy thinking that Sony would somehow have invested time placing a hint in a ad that a external agency produced and made.

I would buy the shit out of that! Crash 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Why did they sell such a successful franchise anyway?
Universal always owned them back then.

Evil I know who owned him. I have talked to rubin before when he was working on nontgaming products

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like dramatic homecomings of lost IP but uh... As someone who was a PS1 fanboy in its day, Crash was never that important. He was the token mascot. Not a beloved mascot.

If they were to get him back... Sure? Cool? Feels good man? But my mind wouldn't be blown by it...

Dr. Buni

Ratchet never had sales anywhere near crash. And the crash games never had the visuals or appeal since the ps games.

Crash was bigger than mario until he was kicked out and held hostage at Activision. It's time we bring him home.
Crash was never bigger than Mario, though IMO the three PSone Crash games are better than Mario 64.

Anyways, I don't think Sony really needs Crash back nor he is popular enough for them to bother spending $$ on the character. What I want is Activision to allow him being in Smash. If we can have Cloud, who is the face of 32-bit era RPGs, we can have the (again, IMO) face of the 32-bit platformers, too.

Come on now.
For a time in a sense he was bigger as a specific game in release format, not more popular but can we move on from that. This isn't the point of the thread.

The point of the thread is bringing crash back, why it can be good and how Sony can convince Activision.

Boco that is fine and I think as far as me being blown away would depend on the end result of the game and not just a new crash.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ratchet never had sales anywhere near crash. And the crash games never had the visuals or appeal since the ps games.

Wtf?

Maybe in one playground circle of children in Iowa in 1998? Otherwise nope.

Crash was never bigger than Mario, though IMO the three PSone Crash games are better than Mario 64.
.....????

This is one of the children in Iowa in 1998. :p

For a time in a sense he was bigger as a specific game in release format, not more popular but can we move on from that. This isn't the point of the thread.

The point of the thread is bringing crash back, why it can be good and how Sony can convince Activision.

This isn't true at all though.

This isn't true at all though.
Ok, but mario only had one main line game in how many years? While I love mario 64 and more than glaxyy, Nintendo didn't give me part 2.

Can we just move on from mario?
Nintendo hasn't did me right either but that's all while other topic.

I don't know why some of you are acting like the crash games are bad. They are a throw back to 2d style gameplay. We still play these today with indies but these guy lack the basic design to make great platformers for me.

Hasney

Don't worry, maybe Activision will see the demand for more Crash and let King do something with him. Crash Crush Saga.

Oersted

ND has artistic freedom now, and that resulted in Uncharted and TLOU. Mascot platformers aren't really Sony's direction now, nor are they generally profitable. Also I am sure the current staff at ND are more in tune with cover shooter production than platformers, they have made ~5 cover shooters now.

I don't see why Sony would want to pay the likely high price to get a currently dead series in a relatively poor moving genre.

Wasn't Uncharted a result of going after Xbox shooter dominance and not artistic freedom?

Ok, but mario only had one main line game in how many years? While I love mario 64 and more than glaxyy, Nintendo didn't give me part 2.

Can we just move on from mario?

Did they they need to? Nintendo have released quite a few mario platformers in the last few years, all of which have been well received and we have people complaining of franchise fatigue

Ban Puncher

Crash was bigger than mario

7HjKd.gif

Wasn't Uncharted a result of going after Xbox shooter dominance and not artistic freedom?
I like to think

Halo to killzone and resistance.

Halo to gears and Uncharted, especially the 2nd.

I have always blamed ms and Sony for today's gaming and lack of variety.

Ms much more than Sony though. Even though I'm.a halo nut. I'm a game nut first.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Eh, we've had mixed reports from Naughty Dog. Some say they'd like to revisit it, some say they're not sad to be past that era.

crash would probably bomb. not worth the money. let's see how ratchet and clank does first

Check the europe best sellers list for PS1. Its very popular game because it was the mascot for playstation at start and most of the Playstation gamers knows him like Mario and Sonic.

Crash was not bigger than Mario but he played big role for the success of Playstation.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think Crash Bandicoot will be a better fit for Wii U now compare to PS4.

Most mascot games sell well on the Wii U, and there is already a market for platformer games. Crash Bandicoot appearing in Smash Bros will be great too, who wouldn't want to see Crash/Mario/Sega fighting each other.

These days Crash Bandicoot would make more money as a Temple Run knock off for mobile then a console game.

If he returns it will now be how or where you want it to be.

If Crash comes back, he needs to be on a Nintendo platform. They're currently havens for platformers. I'm still sad about the fact that the Crash DS game never saw a release. That video released a few years back was neat.m

If you're yearning for Crash and you haven't played the first two GBA games, I highly recommend them. Fun little 2D platformers.

Even if they got the rights back, I doubt Naughty Dog would be developing it.

Also, for some reason, I feel like we'll here something related to it at PSX. Just my hunch though.

If Crash comes back, he needs to be on a Nintendo platform. They're currently havens for platformers. I'm still sad about the fact that the Crash DS game never saw a release. That video released a few years back was neat.m

If you're yearning for Crash and you haven't played the first two GBA games, I highly recommend them. Fun little 2D platformers.
To be honest haven't played much outside of the ps1 games. Will look into it

cosby-dumbest-thing-o.gif

Look I like Crash for sure but to even say something like that.....wow...

novablue

Banned
Apart from Banjo Swagzooie and Mario "Your Princess is in another castle" Samsung, I don't think platformers can do "aww" worthy anymore. To be honest, I think Crash is on Blinx's level of hype. It would be cool if Crash Bandicoot 4 came out, but its really not on my list of wanted platformers. If Banjo Swagaton 3 or Mario Galaxy 3 or Mario Sunshine 2: Don't let Luigi steal your girl were announced and done properly (Game wise), a lot of people would be too hyped.

Top Bottom