• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Puppet Shadow said:
Yup, that accounts for most sales I'm sure. The offer ended September 3rd, so next month expect to see Microsoft's numbers plummet.
Yup. I'm sure there are millions of students who are willing to spend $700 on a laptop in order to get a 360.

your average console gamer doesn't know what Deus Ex is, let alone how to pronounce it. the steam top sellers and concurrent users lists along with personal experience leave me confident in how it has performed. word of mouth should do wonders as well.

mujun

user_nat said:
Yup. I'm sure there are millions of students who are willing to spend $700 on a laptop in order to get a 360.

Millions who don't already have one? Or a PS3? Or a Wii? Not likely.

watership said:
Okay, i'm officially lost my sarcasm detection. This is sarcasm right?
Possibly...

user_nat said:
I posted about a half dozen times in this thread explaining that the laptop deal didn't really factor into many extra sales, but so one paid attention. Sarcasm appeared to have worked.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
mujun said:
Millions who don't already have one? Or a PS3? Or a Wii? Not likely.
Sorry. I thought by saying millions it would come across as sarcasm. I honestly do not believe there are that many people interested in this promotion.

Meisadragon said:
Inventory low? Is it because they shipped the new PS3 model or something?
Nope, there were lots of regular PS3's in stock all month. Sony is referring to the units that they planned to ship in November.
Or something like that. Or they lied. Ya, lied sounds about right.

Actually Old Jaded Gamer (I think it was him) posted a few pages back what Sony considers inventory shortages. Basically, if a store is supposed to have 20 in stock, but they only have 15, it's considered low inventory. Seriously.

Puppet Shadow said:
Nope, there were lots of regular PS3's in stock all month. Sony is referring to the units that they planned to ship in November.

Actually Old Jaded Gamer (I think it was him) posted a few pages back what Sony considers inventory shortages. Basically, if a store is supposed to have 20 in stock, but they only have 15, it's considered low inventory. Seriously.

That was me. Posting an official quote from Sony on what supply constrained was. They said 30 units actually.

charsace said:
Deus Ex numbers are too low. :(

Keep in mind:

1) this doesn't include Steam (quite possibly it's biggest sales area)

2) it is only one week of sales

I'd say you could easily add 100,000 to that nu,ber given its PC legacy and that 55,000+ people were playing it on Steam last week at the same time.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Puppet Shadow said:

Yeah, that excuse is kind of getting old.

x3sphere

EternalGamer said:
Keep in mind:

I'd say you could easily add 100,000 to that nu,ber given its PC legacy and that 55,000+ people were playing it on Steam last week at the same time.

Exactly... I'd be surprised if it doesn't break 1 million WW by the end of this month.

mujun

user_nat said:
Sorry. I thought by saying millions it would come across as sarcasm. I honestly do not believe there are that many people interested in this promotion.

My bad :)

I can totally understand how people are surprised every month that the 360 sells so much. The PS3 is completely the superior package.

I think it's just a case of MS having made their brand synonymous with HD gaming in the States.

Somnid

user_nat said:

People buy computers especially for college. Who the hell wouldn't take advantage of this? Hell you could sell the damn thing to Gamestop even if you had one and get a slightly cheaper laptop.

Blizzard

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Keep in mind:

I did wonder if the numbers included Steam/digital sales at all, since Steam hardly ever releases sales figures.

mujun

Somnid said:
People buy computers especially for college. Who the hell wouldn't take advantage of this? Hell you could sell the damn thing to Gamestop even if you had one and get a slightly cheaper laptop.

Okay. For interest's sake, how many of the 308k 360s sold in August do you think were freebies given away in the laptop promotion?

_Alkaline_ said:
I get the feeling Dead Island will be pretty huge. Fallout 3 was in many ways the mainstream RPG of this generation - there's plenty of people I know who just play Madden and CoD who played through the entirety of Fallout 3. I reckon Dead Island will have a similar appeal. Lots of people like huge open worlds where you cause chaos.
I find this exhilarating.

Company that made Daggerfall becomes popular with brodudes and Matthew Perry and brings to the spotlight a classic 90's PC franchise like Fallout. It's surreal.

Wallach

FieryBalrog said:
I find this exhilarating.

Company that made Daggerfall becomes popular with brodudes and Matthew Perry and brings to the spotlight a classic 90's PC franchise. It's surreal.

Right? I don't think a week has gone by that the idea amuses me again.

okenny

Banned
Nirolak said:
I think Deus Ex's biggest problem wasn't its time of year, but rather that it was two years too late.

Unless you have an incredibly strong brand (Medal of Honor) or an incredibly strong brand name (Rockstar), this is a bad time to launch new and revived IPs.

If it came out sooner, it would be getting compared too much to other narrative driven games. This is far enough away from the MassEffects, Uncharteds and Read Deads that it can shine on its own rather than be crucified on the cross of different games it had little in common with.

Reallink

mujun said:
Okay. For interest's sake, how many of the 308k 360s sold in August do you think were freebies given away in the laptop promotion?

Given the obvious timing of the promotion (Back to School) and the inevitable non-students taking advantage with Alumni and friend/family accounts, I would guess at least 50k--possibly upwards of 100k. They've been advertising it heavily on prime time TV for months, so it's not some unknown promotion limited to internet geeks, forum trolls, and deal site vultures.

jkanownik

Phonomezer said:
Nobody can answer that, it's a silly question!

You can get a rough idea by looking at the month over month change of the 4GB versus the three other versions. I assume someone (most likely Pachter or Frazier) would comment on it if was a significant variance. If it was 50K or more as some people are guessing it would be very obvious.

caligula13 said:
why is nobody here talking about the immanent death of handhelds?
Looks more like the DS slowing down due to the 3DS increasing.

And of course the PSP is well...the PSP.

So....what imminent death?

Mastperf

Reallink said:
Given the obvious timing of the promotion (Back to School) and the inevitable non-students taking advantage with Alumni and friend/family accounts, I would guess at least 50k--possibly upwards of 100k. They've been advertising it heavily on prime time TV for months, so it's not some unknown promotion limited to internet geeks, forum trolls, and deal site vultures.
I bet 99.99% (or more) were "sold" because of that "promotion". Damn M$.

caligula13

Gold Member
Jaded Alyx said:
Looks more like the DS slowing down due to the 3DS increasing.

And of course the PSP is well...the PSP.

So....what imminent death?

i don't know. i just believe the "experts".

antonz

400K DS family devices is probably why no one is acting stupid and going omg handhelds are dead. Now Nintendo just needs to make sure shipments of the other models cease so when its time to go get a DS in the uninformeds mind all thats there are 3DS

mujun

Reallink said:

I would love to see the PS3 and 360 NPD results side by side from Jan 2010 - this month. I bet that would give a pretty good indication as to whether a laptop promotion from the last week of May to the 1st week of Sep has boosted the 360's sales 50% or not.

Bluth54

Deadbeat said:
I hope Square-Enix comment on Deus Ex sales. I want to know what the total is.

It did okay on the PC, when it first came out it had around 50,000 concurrent users. Tripwire once said in a PC Gamer interview that for Killing Floor the concurrent number of users was around 1/10th of the total number of unique users for the day, which means Deus Ex likely sold at least 500,000 copies on the PC (though that would be the worldwide number, including boxed copy sales).

Mooreberg

I wonder if Deus Ex will increase next month with a full thirty days. Brink sold more than that out of the gate and that game has been $16.99 on Amazon recently.

Adam Blade said:
Gears gets what, a few days of sales compared to R3 next month, right?

R3 is getting incredible user reviews here on GAF. Loudninja, in particular, has been extolling the virtues of the game, and we all know he won't do that unless the game is truly good. I mean, with a stellar and compact 6 hour campaign and MP that is surely improved from the broken beta... Gears stands no chance.
How could he be wrong....
Adam Blade said:
Okay, this is why I don't post on the Gaming side anymore.

Every time a new NPD thread pops up, it's all 'doom and gloom' for the PS3 when in reality, the console that is doomed is the Xbox 360. The temporary increase in sales is most likely secondary to two factors. Firstly, buyers are being sucked into the novelty of buying what basically is a re-badged (almost) obsolescent system. As such, once the novelty wears off, people will realize that the Slim is nothing more than a shiny coat of paint on an old jalopy and stop buying. Secondly, a majority of people are buying the discount fire-sale 360 arcades for $150, which have been artificially inflating sales numbers. Since it's not like the Slim is wanted or anything, once the out-of-production models have run dry, I expect sales to drop heavily with each successive month after this plateau month.
...again.

Opus Angelorum said:
Sony PR is hilarious.

What's new?

What can they say after being outsold by everything for almost a year? Coming up with positive spin must be the highlight of the month for the PR drones.

End of 2012, new PS4.

Hmmm while I believe that Sony will launch first... that might be a bit fast ;) Yeah I know it was sarcasm.

Durante

I'll just believe that Deus Ex sold at least as much on PC (digitally) as on consoles. That's a happy thought both because it would mean that a very deserving game did well and because it would show the infinitely superior taste of the master race.

eastmen

Banned
Kusagari said:
The only laptop at $700 and over students are buying are macs.

thats really silly . Alot of parents will buy their kids new laptops for the first year of college. Normaly $1,000 is what is spent on those.

Its diffrent than when i was in college however for my little cousin who is now 20 she bought a nice 17 inch sony which was $1,200 with a bluray drive and it basicly doubles as her tv at school. She also has a hp311 which i gave her for class (it was way to slow for me .)

Erethian

antonz said:
400K DS family devices is probably why no one is acting stupid and going omg handhelds are dead. Now Nintendo just needs to make sure shipments of the other models cease so when its time to go get a DS in the uninformeds mind all thats there are 3DS

No reason for Nintendo to arbitrarily kill off the DS by stopping shipments. It's clear what they need now is the software to push the 3DS, now that the price barrier to buy a system has been lowered.

The 360's continued strong sales probably mean a price cut won't be coming. I think if they do they could see some monster sales this year though.

Jadedx

Banned
Kusagari said:
The only laptop at $700 and over students are buying are macs.
Not true, My friend got a samsung 9 series laptop. That thing is super sexy.

He already had a slim 360 so he sold the one he got on ebay.

It's a sad day when I have to look on the second page to find the npd thread the day after it was posted.

Quite a lame month overall, will be interested to see if MS do cut the price this holiday.

Erethian said:
No reason for Nintendo to arbitrarily kill off the DS by stopping shipments. It's clear what they need now is the software to push the 3DS, now that the price barrier to buy a system has been lowered.

They will need to look at moving the DS aside fairly soon though, otherwise they could end up with the same issue they had during the GBA-DS transition. There I'd argue they waited too long to put the GBA out to pasture and it slowed uptake of the DS in the US unnecessarily.

antonz

Erethian said:

There really is no reason at all to keep the DS alive. 3DS does everything the DSi line does and more for basically the same price. Nintendo allowing the GBA to live on even after the PS3 launched was a disaster for the DS's early years as the GBA just would not die.

Top Bottom