• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

feynoob

Great what exclusives have they released so far ?Now compare that number to how many of them are in dev hell.How often do hey release games ?What gameplay have we seen from them?
Having studios is great but managing them well is also important and empiric evidences suggests that they are not.
Now add when are we expecting those games to release and will they be good?
Because we know that CGI don't mean shit but they are great to enroll people on the hype train just like you are.Because every game that we don't know about is awesome then reality hits,Halo was supposed to stomp in the gaming world, then reality hit.
Carckdown had a great CGI trailer then reality hit, Redfall is from a great studio but doesn't seem great etc.
Anyway I feel like we are going in circle and that you are incapable of admitting that these games might be bad or not move the needle (which is true for any game btw).
It's about keeping up with content.
Games are good and meh. It's like a dice roll. As wiseman once said " Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's shit".

But what is guaranteed from this is their output increase. That is what I am referring to.

23 studio's can put out 46 games depending on their output speed. It's much better compared to Xbox one output for first party. This doesn't include 3rd party exclusive games.

That is what my entire point is about. Their output is much better than last gen.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Games are good and meh. It's like a dice roll. As wiseman once said " Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's shit".

But what is guaranteed from this is their output increase. That is what I am referring to.

23 studio's can put out 46 games depending on their output speed. It's much better compared to Xbox one output for first party. This doesn't include 3rd party exclusive games.

That is what my entire point is about. Their output is much better than last gen.

Their output might become, because so far it is really worse then XB1...You know you can't say that when they will reach a year and a half with no major releases.You are only hoping that they will releases more games in the future, but not much has been announced even less released and what's cooking is in trouble.But do I need to remind you that it is just moving the goalpost since we were talking about big system sellers and that my friend you can't know if they will be, you don't even know their scope/scale nor their budget.

feynoob

Their output might become, because so far it is really worse then XB1...You know you can't say that when they will reach a year and a half with no major releases.You are only hoping that they will releases more games in the future, but not much has been announced even less released and what's cooking is in trouble.But do I need to remind you that it is just moving the goalpost since we were talking about big system sellers and that my friend you can't know if they will be, you don't even know their scope/scale nor their budget.

I criticized their release schedule a lot.

They had the nerve to release a console with no AAA for 8 months, then go around for 15 months without any AAA game. That is MS and Phil's fault for not contracting 3rd party devs during this draught.

Even though starfield and redfall were delayed, they should have been some back up games for cases like this.

As for goal post, I don't need to move that around. My timeline is covering the entire gen (2026-2027). That is enough for Bethesda to release ES6 during that time, and other studios to show their games. Unless MS decides to cancel a lot of their games.

P.s. that video is good.

Last edited:

Zones

I love my PS5 to bits. Awesome machine.

But watching Sony fanboys flex sales figures whilst conveniently forgetting that the Switch has been pumping everyone for half a decade is rather funny.

Let me guess. It doesn’t count because it’s not akshully a console.
9PlIs2d.jpg

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children-think-of-the-children.gif

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I criticized their release schedule a lot.

They had the nerve to release a console with no AAA for 8 months, then go around for 15 months without any AAA game. That is MS and Phil's fault for not contracting 3rd party devs during this draught.

Even though starfield and redfall were delayed, they should have been some back up games for cases like this.

As for goal post, I don't need to move that around. My timeline is covering the entire gen (2026-2027). That is enough for Bethesda to release ES6 during that time, and other studios to show their games. Unless MS decides to cancel a lot of their games.

P.s. that video is good.

You criticize their output yet claim that it is much better than XB1, it is not, far from it.
And your timeline goes beyond what is supposed to be the end of the gen...So they will sell more Xbox by the end of the gen and you think this will change anything ?Or are you pulling a wait for next gen™?Because it was the case last gen too and maybe people will lose trust in MS, like those MS fanboys on Twitter that are starting to criticize MS.

DaGwaphics

After the PS2 momentum, we saw Xbox 360 reversing the course.
After the Xbox 360 momentum, we saw PS4 reversing the course.
After Wii U, we saw Nintendo Switch reversing the course.

It's not unprecedented.

If anything, it's more normal in the gaming industry for a company to bounce back and the winner to not maintain its streak than for the status quo to prevail.

It's on Phil that he couldn't do it despite spending nearly $100 billion.

I just think you are looking at those swings from the wrong perspective. Look at the momentum of the specific brand not the relationship with the competing brand.

MS had great momentum going into the 360 generation. The OG Xbox didn't do great numbers in comparison to PS2, but the online service was really catching on just as the US was largely moving to broadband and Xbox had set itself apart in that area.

PS3 and X1 are really the only outliers there where Sony had great momentum coming from PS2 but spoiled quite a bit of it with the price at launch (and some of the weird PR statements at that time like get another job to get a PS) while the X1 hardware was not as competitive as it should have been and the price was too high (they overestimated the value that users would see in the bundled Kinnect device).

Nintendo lost momentum in the console space over the course of a few generations, at least with the core gaming audience (wii fit and sales to retirement homes not withstanding). But, their handheld line had stayed strong throughout, thus the Switch just carried on the momentum of the DS/3DS line.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I just think you are looking at those swings from the wrong perspective. Look at the momentum of the specific brand not the relationship with the competing brand.

MS had great momentum going into the 360 generation. The OG Xbox didn't do great numbers in comparison to PS2, but the online service was really catching on just as the US was largely moving to broadband and Xbox had set itself apart in that area.

PS3 and X1 are really the only outliers there where Sony had great momentum coming from PS2 but spoiled quite a bit of it with the price at launch (and some of the weird PR statements at that time like get another job to get a PS) while the X1 hardware was not as competitive as it should have been and the price was too high (they overestimated the value that users would see in the bundled Kinnect device).

Nintendo lost momentum in the console space over the course of a few generations, at least with the core gaming audience (wii fit and sales to retirement homes not withstanding). But, their handheld line had stayed strong throughout, thus the Switch just carried on the momentum of the DS/3DS line.
My point is that a new generation gives companies a fresh slate.

Yes, there is brand loyalty and digital libraries that keep people within an ecosystem. But for a lot of people, it gives companies an opportunity to bring in customers and expand their market share or arrest a declining trend. This has been the case in every previous generation where companies managed to succeed.

For example, 30% of PS5's userbase consist of new customers that did not have PS4s. Jim Ryan was able to capitalize upon launch and increase PlayStation's market share. On the other hand, Phil Spencer failed to do it because the launch was handled extremely poorly, something they still haven't remedied even after 30 months.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

yeah, thats about what I guess too.
Way too late for EldersScroll to make a noticable impact on XBox Series

It'll be a Xbox Next game at this point. Everyone is making & finishing Starfield, their studio is small and can't work on multiple games at the same time.

They probably laid out what they want for Elder Scrolls 6 and will resume developing somewhere around October, taking into consideration AAA development cycles the game should be ready by 2028/2029 if everything goes smoothly which is doubtful these days.

I'd say 2030.

jzosa

I would agree with your points if you weren’t speakingin the present tense. To say that they have “output increase” when we have not had a first party exclusive in a long time is definitely and absolutely incorrect.

Their output isn’t better than last gen…. YET. That remains to be seen.

DaGwaphics

I honestly don't think they want to make a lot of consoles right now. They will probably wait until a die shrink or redesign before they ship out a large number of Series X .

In October they was speaking of taking a $100 to $200 hit on their consoles, Why even mention this 2 years after your console is on the market? Then they said something about growth in PC Gamepass but saturated or something on console ( I don't remember the exact words but it stood out to me that they didn't sound like they was planning to push out many consoles anytime soon)

That's a possibility. I have no idea why the XSX units have been as thin on the ground as they've been. At nearly 3yrs in these systems should be available basically all the time, everywhere they are sold. PS is definitely moving in that direction now. MS has the demand saturated for XSS, they need to get the XSX to that same point. The last thing they should want is for users to be forced to hesitate when they are prepared to purchase.

I had thought maybe a slim was incoming for them and they were just making sure the sales channels were cleared, but they've unveiled a new bundle system now (the Diablo 4 one) that is still bundled with the OG XSX from the looks of it. Though they could still do cost cutting revisions in that same skin, like Sony has already done.

FrankWza

It'll be a Xbox Next game at this point. Everyone is making & finishing Starfield, their studio is small and can't work on multiple games at the same time.

They probably laid out what they want for Elder Scrolls 6 and will resume developing somewhere around October, taking into consideration AAA development cycles the game should be ready by 2028/2029 if everything goes smoothly which is doubtful these days.

I'd say 2030.
That's a bad decision if that's what they're doing. If you're going in for all that money just bring in as many people as possible and start pumping out games. They have so much money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly, the physical release of Stray charting in the physical UK weekly chart was the only thing I could find as well . Obviously Hi Fi Rush never did that since it never got a physical release.

Neither Stray nor Hi Fi Rush charted in any NPD chart, and no one should have expected them too. That's what I was training to explain.
Nothing from MS charts anymore... you want to know why? Game Pass. They spend 5+ years conditioning their customers to not buy games, just sub with those crazy, cheap stacking deals as well as free subs with easy to do rewards points.

Now you know why NPD/Circana is no longer giving platform splits for software starting a month or two ago after MS admitted GP cannibalizes software sales to the regulators. And, we are getting tweets saying software splits in both markets are in the PS2/OG Xbox era. Which is even more crazy considering how much closer these boxes are to each other volume wise compared to back then.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'd say 2030.
I don't expect them to start development on ES6 before 2024.

After shipping Starfield in September (assuming it doesn't get delayed again), some devs will take vacations. Then comes the Holiday season. Then come Starfield patches and bug fixes, which will take at least a few months as we're all familiar with Bethesda's history.

Only then can they start focusing on ES6.

This is assuming they don't release any new content, DLC, or expansions for Starfield. If they do, ES6 will be pushed away even further.

I totally expect ES6 to be a next-gen launch title at this point, which will be delayed by a year. Similar to how Halo Infinite was planned, delayed, and released the following year.

feynoob

You criticize their output yet claim that it is much better than XB1, it is not, far from it.
And your timeline goes beyond what is supposed to be the end of the gen...So they will sell more Xbox by the end of the gen and you think this will change anything ?Or are you pulling a wait for next gen™?Because it was the case last gen too and maybe people will lose trust in MS, like those MS fanboys on Twitter that are starting to criticize MS.
More studios= more output. I am operating from that perspective.

As for the criticism, it's the lack of preparation and not having any game ready during those empty period.
Edit: Phil is mainly to blame on this. MS needs to ditch this dude at this point.

Bethesda purchase happened in 2020. Without that, their pipeline would have been shit.

As for the estimate numbers, it's from MS involvement with Xbox this gen.
So far, they spent 7.5b for zenimax, spent a lot of money on gamepass, spent a lot of money buying smaller studios like obsidian and ninja theory.

And now, they are willing to drop 67b on Activision blizzard.

With that kind of investment, it shouldn't be harder for Xbox to hit those numbers. It's why those numbers aren't impossible to hit.

Last edited:
So undoubtedly this will be PS5's best ever non holiday quarter of it's life cycle, from the available data it looks like 6 million for FYQ4 is a possibility. A couple of records could go when we get the financial reports soon, the PS5 needs 5.9 million to break the all time Q4 record set by DS in 2008 (5.81 million) and Switch needs 2.64 million to break the all time record for a console's 6th full fiscal year set by DS in FY 2010/11 (17.53 million).

Quarterly and yearly data for high selling consoles up to fiscal year 9:

1OriSOv.png

Fiscal Year - 1st April to 31st March
Quarter 1 - 1st April to 30th June
Quarter 2 - 1st July to 30th September
Quarter 3 - 1st October to 31st December
Quarter 4 - 1st January to 31st March

Last edited:

Kacho

Spare us your trolling.
Xbox is still making money and you don't need a person at the top who cares for video gaming and has a passion for it at all, I've never heard such drivel in all my life; You really think Yamauchi-san was BIG gamer? or the likes of Morita-?
What MS need to put in place is people who can advertise, or more likely need to give their PR dept a higher budget, like the old days with Gates, another person at the top who didn't care for console gaming at all.
Opinions you don't agree with aren't trolling.

No one cares if Xbox is making money. Xbox continues to lose mindshare and market share. They've struggled to be competitive because they have people in key positions who don't have clue when it comes to gaming like they did during the OG and 360 days. A bigger PR budget won't help if they don't have anything compelling to sell to consumers.

MScarpa

It’s cute how REDFALL doesn’t appear on these lists anymore, isn’t it? :)
Redfall for me sounds okish?! When they said it was more like Far Cry, made me more interested. Before that i thought it was just a coop L4D type game, which isn't my cup of tea.

feynoob

Redfall for me sounds okish?! When they said it was more like Far Cry, made me more interested. Before that i thought it was just a coop L4D type game, which isn't my cup of tea.
4 co-op type of games have their own limitations.
It's why I am not interested in that game at all. Even though fighting vampires is fun, I am not gonna waste my time with it.

Haven't touched back4blood and extraction, even though they were day1 gamepass.

Imtjnotu

Xbox's issue for sales is not a shortage issue. It's a marketing and games issue.

People buy consoles for exclusives when they can't play it any other way.

Microsoft and Xbox for years now have been saying you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox games. You can play on your phone, tablet, or PC with Gamepass.

If I don't need an Xbox to play those games why would I buy one? Sony does it the right way with releasing games years later on pc to those who don't have a Playstation.

It sucks that it's the way it is with Xbox on releases but it is what it is

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
More studios= more output. I am operating from that perspective.

As for the criticism, it's the lack of preparation and not having any game ready during those empty period.
Edit: Phil is mainly to blame on this. MS needs to ditch this dude at this point.

Bethesda purchase happened in 2020. Without that, their pipeline would have been shit.

As for the estimate numbers, it's from MS involvement with Xbox this gen.
So far, they spent 7.5b for zenimax, spent a lot of money on gamepass, spent a lot of money buying smaller studios like obsidian and ninja theory.

And now, they are willing to drop 67b on Activision blizzard.

With that kind of investment, it shouldn't be harder for Xbox to hit those numbers. It's why those numbers aren't impossible to hit.
Well they were spending a lot too at the begginning of the previous genjust not in the right things and again investment =/= success.
And yeah if those studios were managed exactly like they were before aquisition then they might increase their output ... But MS is like the king of mismanagement, they have almost constantly mishandled IP that they bought....
But one point where I am 100% with you Phill needs to go, he is responsible for most of the things that I don"t like about Xbox.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's his job mate. It's not just about games it's about making people feel they need and want your product. There weren't many games early in for the 360, but it didn't matter, much the same for the 1st year of the PS2, but they had they had hype
And I'm not interested in your SONY trolling tbh

I haven't seen an advert for the Xbox since last year and it's like Xbox has given up on TV advertising and currently is busy promoting a game on YouTube that isn't exclusive and isn't on Gamepass (Diablo). One can hope that MS may come out of hidnng when the Activision deal is done
Lets look at some of the sales disasters in recent years:

- Gotham Knights
- Callisto Protocol
- Morbius movie
- Buzz Lightyear movie
- Google Stadia
- PS VR2
- Call of Duty Vanguard

Are we going to blame the PR and marketing guys for all these failures? Or the people who made it? Are you saying disney has forgotten how to market movies? Are you saying the same sony marketing head that made Spiderman No Way Home a $2 billion movie is responsible for Morbius flopping? Are you saying that google which is literally the biggest advertising firm on the planet doesnt know how to market stadia? Is Sony who is breaking records with the PS5 responsible for PSVR2 flopping?

Nah, the marketing guys are not responsible for a products success. it's the product itself.

FrankWza

So, PSVR2 is "flopping" now when Sony themselves have said they know it will be a "slow burn?"

They have yet to even ship them to stores.
Yeah it's just showing up on Amazon now. All it has to do is beat PSVR to be successful. If it does 7% or better attach rate it's a 40ish% jump for a $350-400 average after sales and price drops. Plus software and accessories like charging cradle.

Xbox's issue for sales is not a shortage issue. It's a marketing and games issue.

People buy consoles for exclusives when they can't play it any other way.

Microsoft and Xbox for years now have been saying you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox games. You can play on your phone, tablet, or PC with Gamepass.

If I don't need an Xbox to play those games why would I buy one? Sony does it the right way with releasing games years later on pc to those who don't have a Playstation.

It sucks that it's the way it is with Xbox on releases but it is what it is
Phil Spencer came out and said directly that MS is not interested in forcing customers to buy their consoles. It is an option and that has been true since they started doing all their games day and date on PC. Xbox has been outsold every single console generation they've participated in. MS has pivoted to more of an ecosystem where you can access their games and services away from just the console. Sony and Nintendo are focused solely on console, MS is not. Every company is doing their own thing and that's OK.

Do you want a list wars?

The only game you mentioned there that could maybe qualify as a system seller is TESVI. Nothing else you mentioned is proven entity r has shown it can and will be a system seller.

If you want us to just ist stuff that could be popular or could sell well, I could do that too. I only listed the stuff that has future status and recognition PS. Didn't even mention GT, GoT, Ratchet....etc cause they don't fit those criteria.

I would say Gran Turismo fits that criteria TBH, there are lots of people who have bought PS consoles simply off the strength of the new GT. Granted, not so much in America, at least not since the PS2 & PS3 days, but in places like Europe? Definitely.

Agreed though on stuff like R&C not being those big system sellers. High-quality games but still. And among the known Xbox titles only TES VI really meets the criteria, everything else is a new IP and unproven, or a revival of an IP that's been dormant for decades. Starfield might fit the requirement but that's because of how it's being positioned among Bethesda's other big games like Fallout and Skyrim.

And honestly, these games will have reduced system-selling power because they'll be on PC Day 1, plus available on other devices like phones Day 1 via xCloud. And you'll arguably get a much better Starfield and TES VI experience on a capable PC thanks to modders.

FrankWza

Phil Spencer came out and said directly that MS is not interested in forcing customers to buy their consoles. It is an option and that has been true since they started doing all their games day and date on PC. Xbox has been outsold every single console generation they've participated in. MS has pivoted to more of an ecosystem where you can access their games and services away from just the console. Sony and Nintendo are focused solely on console, MS is not. Every company is doing their own thing and that's OK.
So, instead of buying a $500 series x or a $200-$299 series s people are deciding they want to invest in PC or play games on tablets/phones? They're passing on 2 middle options to go extreme high or low. This after being told a million times that the s was developed for this Exact scenario.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, instead of buying a $500 series x or a $200-$299 series s people are deciding they want to invest in PC or play games on tablets/phones? They're passing on 2 middle options to go extreme high or low. This after being told a million times that the s was developed for this Exact scenario.
It's logically insane, innit?

zedinen

So undoubtedly this will be PS5's best ever non holiday quarter of it's life cycle, from the available data it looks like 6 million for FYQ4 is a possibility. A couple of records could go when we get the financial reports soon, the PS5 needs 5.9 million to break the all time Q4 record set by DS in 2008 (5.81 million)

The PS5 needs 6.09 million to break the all time Q4 record set by PS2 in 2005 (6.08 million)

URP4gvB.jpg

And Microsoft is failing at the thing they're doing.

Hence them buying publishers to fold their revenue into the Xbox division that is "focusing on the ecosystem", but apparently their focus as an ecosystem means no growth unless they buy large 3P publishers.

Everything is not going fine for Microsoft's gaming division and it's okay to admit it.

Yes. Some people do not like consoles and refuse to play on them. People can go in many different directions when it comes to gaming. Just because someone doesn't buy an Xbox doesn't mean MS has lost a customer. You can be an 'Xbox' customer whether you buy a console, play on PC, or stream on a tablet. So lower console sales alone doesn't mean failure. Certainly not in the way it would mean for Sony and Nintendo.

This forum just happens to be mainly focused on console and thinking that console sales are the only way to be successful. It just isn't true. I doubt MS will ever sell fewer consoles than they did with the original Xbox and after that loss they remained in the console business. MS isn't going anywhere and neither is Xbox. The console will remain one of many ways MS gives their customers to access their ecosystem.

Hence them buying publishers to fold their revenue into the Xbox division that is "focusing on the ecosystem", but apparently their focus as an ecosystem means no growth unless they buy large 3P publishers.

Everything is not going fine for Microsoft's gaming division and it's okay to admit it.
Based on what? Console sales, the thing they've never 'won' at? They are buying more studios to feed their ecosystem with new content. Who said everything is going 'fine'? If you think MS has made no growth since they've entered console gaming you haven't been paying attention and buying more studios is not a sign of failure. Bottom line is Xbox customers will have lots of content to play and many studios making that content. If that's failure I'm OK with it.

DrFigs

Buying successful IP's and making them exclusive is probably a good growth strategy.

Mahavastu

The PS5 needs 6.09 million to break the all time Q4 record set by PS2 in 2005 (6.08 million)

URP4gvB.jpg
Wrong Q4...
Sony is always one quarter behind (for them the business year ends with the end of march), which means for Sony Q3 is what you mean with Q4. So the record is 7.39 mio

Last edited:

onQ123

Someone should probably make a thread so people can talk about whatever is going on with Xbox but it will most likely get locked & everyone will end up back in random threads talking about whatever is going on with Xbox 😂 so carry on

URP4gvB.jpg
Those are production shipments not shipped to retailers (sold-in). Sony didn't start reporting sold-in numbers until the fiscal year starting 1st April 2006.

Last edited:
Wrong Q4...
Sony is always one quarter behind (for them the business year ends with the end of march), which means for Sony Q3 is what you mean with Q4. So the record is 7.39 mio
You are both wrong, those are the number of PS2's manufactured in their factories, they are not sold-in numbers. Sony didn't report quarterly sold-in sales data until 2006. Also Nintendo's and Sony's fiscal years both start on April 1st, it's Microsoft's fiscal year that starts on July 1st.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes. Some people do not like consoles and refuse to play on them. People can go in many different directions when it comes to gaming. Just because someone doesn't buy an Xbox doesn't mean MS has lost a customer. You can be an 'Xbox' customer whether you buy a console, play on PC, or stream on a tablet. So lower console sales alone doesn't mean failure. Certainly not in the way it would mean for Sony and Nintendo.

This forum just happens to be mainly focused on console and thinking that console sales are the only way to be successful. It just isn't true. I doubt MS will ever sell fewer consoles than they did with the original Xbox and after that loss they remained in the console business. MS isn't going anywhere and neither is Xbox. The console will remain one of many ways MS gives their customers to access their ecosystem.
So how are 2 other companies able to sell 100 Million consoles generation after generation? For decades now. Microsoft couldn't sell 100 mill even before they went PC day 1. Conveniently it doesn't matter anymore.
And why would they keep games off of other consoles if they don't care about console sales? They're getting the same result by selling me and my 100 million friends a game for $70. They're going to lose a sale they otherwise wouldn't have. Don't they care about any sales?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So how are 2 other companies able to sell 100 Million consoles generation after generation? For decades now. Microsoft couldn't sell 100 mill even before they went PC day 1. Conveniently it doesn't matter anymore.
And why would they keep games off of other consoles if they don't care about console sales? They're getting the same result by selling me and my 100 million friends a game for $70. They're going to lose a sale they otherwise wouldn't have. Don't they care about any sales?
It's logically insane, innit? Redux

ulantan

Microsoft has never cared about making money.... it's all about engagement or something.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's interesting as I've read random comments about Microsoft and their acquisitions and I was telling a friend about this a few weeks ago, it feels like Microsoft is just like the kid with a bunch of money who buys a bunch of toys that are wayy beyond their. comprehension.

I don't think this would even change even if they were selling as much as ps5. Whatever that strategy would be like maybe having a console that's $100 cheaper. That doesn't fix the structural management problems they have. And while I kind of can see the joke of them going third party I don't see them buying companies up as a benefit other than to continue to mismanage or simply buy them just so they can be on the shelf and let them continue to do what they are doing which would be best for larger companies like activision. Otherwise all these fancy toys are for nothing as is proven by not just the perception but the sales.

In that way I can't see how Microsoft's involvement in the industry ever since maybe the year 2008, has been a benefit. They've been stagnant for a long time and mismanaging a lot of their studios. At least sales would mask some of that but I would still be saying this even if they sold as much as the other platforms.

How many alternatives do those companies offer customers to access their products? If you give your customers only one way to access your products that is the only way they'll access your products.

I bet Sony has sold more PSVR2 units than Amazon, Best Buy, and Target combined. I wonder why... I guess Sony should start celebrating their beating out other retailers.

Also we'll just ignore those entrenched companies were in video games for years before MS got into consoles. PlayStation is what the 7th biggest brand overall and Nintendo had similar noteriety even before PlayStation. It always going to be an uphill battle and there aren't many cases of a new entrant in a market beating the established older brands especially when those brands are as well known as PlayStation and Nintendo. As a customer MS doesn't have to beat Sony or Nintendo they need to continue to support their customers and based on recent moves more games are coming to their ecosystem.

Xbox games on other platforms is taken on a case by case basis. Putting games on platforms they don't own costs extra development time and resources MS would most likely perform to spend on their ecosystem. If a game is big enough, like CoD and Minecraft, they very well might make a PlayStation version otherwise those customers will have to use the high end PCs many bragged about when MS first announced their day one support for PC games. Refusing to buy an Xbox console and then playing a MS game on PC isn't the L for MS many think it is.

Microsoft has never cared about making money.... it's all about engagement or something.
Game pass is profitable and will not reflect in monthly unit sales charts. Most people can't look beyond the Sony and Nintendo way of the console primary business. MS cares about sales but they also care about their subscription services too. They have diversified their offerings in ways other companies have not. I would not be worried about MS' business. They've managed to be quite successful over the years.

Woopah

Nothing from MS charts anymore... you want to know why? Game Pass. They spend 5+ years conditioning their customers to not buy games, just sub with those crazy, cheap stacking deals as well as free subs with easy to do rewards points.

Now you know why NPD/Circana is no longer giving platform splits for software starting a month or two ago after MS admitted GP cannibalizes software sales to the regulators. And, we are getting tweets saying software splits in both markets are in the PS2/OG Xbox era. Which is even more crazy considering how much closer these boxes are to each other volume wise compared to back then.
I literally mentioned GamePass as one of the reasons not to expect Hi Fi Rush to chart (along with other important factors such as price).

I was only ever talking about Hi-Fi Rush, not Xbox software as a whole.

Top Bottom