• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Cat Party

Stoked to see Borderlands 2 on the top 10 list for 2012.

But these reports are increasingly incomplete with more and more games being sold digitally.

So how bad is it for the Wii U if it sold less than the Wii's first December when the Wii was fucking impossible to find, and the Wii U was widely available? Serious question. Also fair to consider that the Wii U costs more than the Wii did, but factoring in inflation I'm not sure how much more or if that really matters.

Regardless of anything else at all, they really just needed to put out one version of the Wii U that came with Nintendoland, splitting the SKUs with only a $50 difference is ridiculous.

I think being $250 really helped the Wii. The price on the Wii U is gonna hold it back for a while, especially when you can get a 360 for so much less.

Drago

They are in shock. Price cut and ambassador programme must now be on the cards along with a tidal wave of negative press and pressure o the top brass at HQ.
I don't know if this is sarcasm but I'd personally love a WiiU ambassador program. I only paid $200 for my system (not including gift money) so I won't feel like a sucker for getting one early anyways.

Gimme another 20 free games B)

dvolovets

So how bad is it for the Wii U if it sold less than the Wii's first December when the Wii was fucking impossible to find, and the Wii U was widely available? Serious question. Also fair to consider that the Wii U costs more than the Wii did, but factoring in inflation I'm not sure how much more or if that really matters.

Regardless of anything else at all, they really just needed to put out one version of the Wii U that came with Nintendoland, splitting the SKUs with only a $50 difference is ridiculous.

But wasn't it "fucking possible to find" almost exclusively due to high demand? I think the price difference is a fair point to bring up, though, regardless of inflation. $350 is a pretty big difference compared to $250, especially if we're talking about impulse buys (which I'm sure were responsible for many Wii sales, at least compared to the Wii U).

antonz

Realistically they do need to kill the white SKU. Its the same way in any store I go 3-4 Whites and maybe 1 black sitting around. People want the black system.

As for 2nd month sales people are looking into this stuff way too much. Wii U seems to be falling in line with averages.

People expecting another Wii were delusional

Sandfox

Because Microsoft said it sold more than twice the number of the closest competitor. That means 2nd place is around 700k.

More than half could still mean that it sold about 600k or so.

Note that Just Dance 4 sold better on Wii U than PS3. So it cuts lots of different directions.

I don't really understand that when you could just buy the Wii version at a cheaper price. The Wii U version is $50 while the others are $40.

Miles X

Ms said they outsold no. 2 by 100%

If wiiu is sub 600k that means ps3 is prob no2 (could be wii lol.)

Who said WiiU isn't number 2? And the WiiU is under 600k, it could be 550k, and PS3 could be 580k. I mean it's unlikely, but all that tweet tells us is that WiiU did under 600k, nothing else ...

Because Microsoft said it sold more than twice the number of the closest competitor. That means 2nd place is around 700k. Which means even the PS3 outsold the Wii U. Big congrats to Sony on that. They have momentum going as well.

Doesn't have to mean that at all, it means 700k is the ceiling. If the second highest console was 600k, that quote would still be the best one to use.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think being $250 really helped the Wii. The price on the Wii U is gonna hold it back for a while, especially when you can get a 360 for so much less.

I also think a factor is continued Wii sales.

IIRC in 2006 the GC was essentially non existent- at least going by November Wii is still a decent retail presence.

• "A major culprit in the decline in retail sales in 2012 was the lack of new releases with 29% less SKUs across consoles, portables, and PCs," he said in a statement.
  • Video game software (console, handheld, and PC): $1.58B (-27%)

So, software sales down 27%, number of releases down 29%.

Average sales per release are therefore flat or up vs last year.

Fewer titles = Fewer sales.

TheNatural

My Member!

I would say bad enough that 90 year old pimpmaster Yamauichi comes out of retirement, backhands Iwata out of 20 story building, and puts out his cigar on a Wii U tablet and gets down to business. Mother fucking heads will roll.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
oh wow

pretty surprising giving the amount of huge franchise multiplatform releases out there.

the top 10 combined platform list is so boring anymore. would much rather see single SKU/top 10 per platform type information.
You want to see CoD and Just Dance 4 up there like 3 times a piece? I guess the top 10 per platform would make some sense but I'd still rather get the top 30 in the current format.

DSN2K

I want my 10 Gamecube games...im not surprised really; expensive, ports of games available on more established platforms...bad word of mouth, lack of advertisement.

Note that Just Dance 4 sold better on Wii U than PS3. So it cuts lots of different directions.

Doesnt Just Dance on PS3 require a peripheral that bombed? I wouldnt expect it to sell. Vita outselling Wii U titles is very surprising, I think. Very happy for the Vita.

Doesn't have to mean that at all, it means 700k is the ceiling. If the second highest console was 600k, that quote would still be the best one to use.
Microsoft predictably do it in such a way that it's right at the very edge of what they said.

Kacho

I would say bad enough that 90 year old pimpmaster Yamauichi comes out of retirement, backhands Iwata out of 20 story building, and puts out his cigar on a Wii U tablet and gets down to business. Mother fucking heads will roll.

Seems plausable. lol

Every region is the same. Are you saying the sequels Japan or Europeans buy are any more or less sad than the sequels Americans buy? Madden, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Animal Crossing, Black OPS. What's the difference?

Call of Duty: 9 mainline games in 8 years.
Animal Crossing: 4 mainline games in 12 years.

see5harp

Ugh. Man, that top ten list is really just a sad representation of what we Americans demand. For how many years, now, has Call of Duty topped our charts? No wonder developers are taking a streamlined approach; These sales are indicative of our wants.

There's always going to be blockbusters. Do you honestly think The Artist outgrossed The Avengers anywhere in the world?

eternalb

From NOA: Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks

Nintendo News

Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks

With more than 460,000 units sold in December, Wii U has now sold nearly 890,000 units in the United States after only 41 days on the market, according to the NPD Group. To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.

“While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.”

Nintendo sold more than 2.65 million hardware units in the United States in the month of December. 2012 marked the 11th consecutive year that Nintendo has sold at least 8 million hardware units in the U.S. Other Nintendo sales milestones achieved in December 2012 and beyond that time frame, include:

Was the original Wii supply constrained in the US in December 2006? I'd assume so.

Yes. There's never been demand for a console like there was for Wii back then. sold out for months upon months, with frenzied consumers trying to get one to no avail.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From NOA: Wii U Hardware Sales Surpass Wii Sales by More Than $30 Million through First Six Weeks

Horrible horrible number, no sugar coating it.

We're headed for PS3 2007 territory.

PaulLFC

So what would be a good number for Wii U? Seems it's done less than 700,000, is that decent? If that number wasn't known, what would be seen as a generally acceptable number for the US?

In Europe it's doing very poorly, but I've read a few times on GAF posts along the lines of "it's doing badly in Europe but it seems to be selling well in Japan and the US".

Miles X

Doesnt Just Dance on PS3 require a peripheral that bombed? I wouldnt expect it to sell. Vita outselling Wii U titles is very surprising, I think. Very happy for the Vita.

Microsoft predictably do it in such a way that it's right at the very edge of what they said.

Eh, they don't control the numbers do they, if they did x2 then that's what they would say if the PS3 did 600k or 700k no? It's when they say 'almost' and stuff like that you need to be skeptical.

1-D_FTW

Was the original Wii supply constrained in the US in December 2006? I'd assume so.

It wasn't really available on shelves until early 2008. 2007 was basically it arriving on shelves, and if you weren't there within the first hour, it was gone until the next shipment.

UberTag

You want to see CoD and Just Dance 4 up there like 3 times a piece? I guess the top 10 per platform would make some sense but I'd still rather get the top 30 in the current format.
Just Dance 4 would only be up there once.
JD4 Wii is a money-printing machine. Many households have turned their Wiis into defacto dancing Netflix gadgets.
It wouldn't surprise me if JD4 Wii was the top individual SKU in December ahead of COD BO2 X360.

VICI0US

Realistically they do need to kill the white SKU. Its the same way in any store I go 3-4 Whites and maybe 1 black sitting around. People want the black system.

As for 2nd month sales people are looking into this stuff way too much. Wii U seems to be falling in line with averages.

People expecting another Wii were delusional

yeah, it's not going to be another wii (I don't see any of the next-gen consoles approacing wii-mania honestly) nor will it be a vita/dreamcast. in all reality the wii-u launch is right smack dab in the middle of averageville.

but the truth doesn't lend itself to hyperbolic DOOMED posts so well so people tend to ignore it.

Top Bottom