• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Group: The Last Of Us 2 "Instantly" becomes third best selling game of 2020!

REE Machine

Banned
also this is a BAIT THREAD
CleverFalseAsianelephant-size_restricted.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i would love to see numbers on how many people bothered to finish it, how many people sold it, and how many people who bought digitally regretted their purchase.

there was no doubt it was gonna sell so well after the first game. if they do a part 3 that'd be interesting...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Valentino

i would love to see numbers on how many people bothered to finish it, how many people sold it, and how many people who bought digitally regretted their purchase.

there was no doubt it was gonna sell so well after the first game. if they do a part 3 that'd be interesting...

Mind you, you can say that for any game (“how many people bothered to finish it/ sell it”) My guess is the ones who went in hating it before playing it - still finished it - but still hated it. And possibly sold it as of course many people will play a game only once then sell it. Or the standard normal people who live a little outside of playing the odd game and don’t put so much time and money in to buying a gaming set up and investing so much of their emotion in to gaming - either liked it or wasn’t a fan. And there was no doubt about it selling well - that is true - but maybe a small part of me thought it would be hindered by the hate - because that’s what the haters thought/ wanted to happen...... so now the game is doing more than okay in sales, we get the “well of coursssse it was going to sell well but doesn’t mean it’s a good game!” *folds arm in grump*

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
You people sound like some of the most miserable little stains on the planet. People like what they like, who are you to passive-aggressively antagonize them over it?

I don't go to Twilight fans and passive-aggressively dismiss their series just because it's not my thing. Grow a brain.

Mod of War That's appreciated man. Some folks have been incredibly persistent with that kind of stuff of late though, maybe it's summer heat related.

30min later
Are these sold-in numbers or sold-through? There's a good deal of mounting evidence of unsold copies just sitting around on store shelves, especially in Asian countries. So I'm inclined to believe these are sold-in numbers.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Not a surprise. TLOU was one of the best games of the last ten years, and despite some of the weird homophobic diatribe this game got it had very good word of mouth after the first few days.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Grab TLOU Part II for $48.48, that's proof that it's a failure.

Without realizing that it's a coupon code for Rakuten, which could be applied to any game. It's also been established that many big titles have dropped off more than 78% after the first week.

Exchanging games for a title is also nothing new. Gamestop does this all the time. They always advertise trade-ins for new games.

China is a western IP and it was never popular in that country. There's also regulations in China.

The sad realization that perhaps only speedrunners still cared about Spongebob Battle For Bikini Bottom nowadays and we probably won't get a remaster of the movie game.

Quixz

From the same NPD report...

Here are the top 10 best-selling games of 2020 in the U.S. so far:
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  3. The Last of Us Part 2
  4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K20
  7. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  8. MLB: The Show 20
  9. Resident Evil 3
  10. Maddden NFL 20
I'm surprised to see FFVII Remake so high and gobsmacked about Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Also, we got used to GTA V immortality but it's mindblowing.

GTA V at number 5 👌

Going to need that money after a very long,expensive development full of crunch, bad publicity, and a significant amount of staff leaving. I do no anticipate this game having the legs of the first game due to killing off beloved characters, bad story, and forcing you to play as a unlikeable character leaving a bad taste in many views. Its not a game many will want to revisit or rebuy on PS5 imo.

Last edited:
Don't know, but sells dropped i think 75%-80% the following week in the UK

You might want to edit the spoilers in your previous post friend. I know it feels like common knowledge at this point, but some of us still haven't seen the stuff.

https://gamstat.com/games/The_Last_of_Us_Part_II/ this isn't probably the best, but this is an estimate.

Thanks friend, that's enough to give us an idea. Seems like it has been slow since launch, at least that visible plateau and their silence hint that way.

down 2 orth

It certainly seemed this would be the case based on player numbers and sales info worldwide.

Beat by Spider-Man, and God of War is on track to overtake it next month. You can try to spin that all you want, but internally Sony is probably feeling less than comfortable with those numbers.

Get woke go broke? Usually. Get woke and take a huge hit in sales? Most definitely (it doesn't have that ring to it though).

Last edited:

Allandor

That's surprising. Not instant on the first place? (I really expected this after the first game had so good sales and feedback).
Did something relevant get released this year?

Last edited:
That's surprising. Not instant on the first place? (I really expected this after the first game had so good sales and feedback).
Did something relevant get released this year?
There is Animal Crossing New Horizons, which is still legging and will prob still be on the top ten lists long after TLOU2 drops out

Bodomism

Banned
You might want to edit the spoilers in your previous post friend. I know it feels like common knowledge at this point, but some of us still haven't seen the stuff.

Thanks friend, that's enough to give us an idea. Seems like it has been slow since launch, at least that visible plateau and their silence hint that way.
No doubt about it, Spider-Man is already outpacing TLOU2 in weekly sales launch aligned by a good margin and it's going to get bigger in incoming weeks.

On Amazon daily sales, it already trailing behind 3 year-old Zelda BOTW lol.

Bodomism

Banned
There is Animal Crossing New Horizons, which is still legging and will prob still be on the top ten lists long after TLOU2 drops out
It's still surprising tbh, Animal Crossing has no digital sales included on the chart and as we know the digital ratio for ACNH is around 50% of the total sales.

Bodomism

Banned
I can't tell if people are serious that they expected The last of us 2 to defeat the ytd sales of animal crossing and modern warfare in 16 days
COD MW is a last year game and ACNH doesn't have digital sales included(50% of the total sales according to Nintendo), I think at least people were hoping it could shatter Spider-Man's record, yes Spider-Man had more tracking days but TLOU2 was released on much higher installbase than Spider-Man in 2018.

If UK and Japan are the indication of how TLOU2 performances after the launch week then it's safe to say TLOU2 won't touch Spidey number on PS4.

COD MW is a last year game and ACNH doesn't have digital sales included(50% of the total sales according to Nintendo), I think at least people were hoping it could shatter Spider-Man's record, yes Spider-Man had more tracking days but TLOU2 was released on much higher installbase than Spider-Man in 2018.

If UK and Japan are the indication of how TLOU2 performances after the launch week then it's safe to say TLOU2 won't touch Spidey number on PS4.
I'm not sure two years difference is "much" higher. Call of duty came out in the end of last year and has been an absolute juggernaut ever since. Seeing how NPD is based on revenue generated not unit sales the reason stuff like Grand theft Auto v and call of duty do so well is their microtransactions sales.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'm glad Sony made back their money. I liked Part1 of TLOU2 but everything that happens after that left a very bad taste. I deleted the game and I don't feel like playing ever again.

sendit

From the same NPD report...

Here are the top 10 best-selling games of 2020 in the U.S. so far:
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  3. The Last of Us Part 2
  4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K20
  7. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  8. MLB: The Show 20
  9. Resident Evil 3
  10. Maddden NFL 20
I'm surprised to see FFVII Remake so high and gobsmacked about Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Also, we got used to GTA V immortality but it's mindblowing.

+1 For Madden 20. Purchased twice.

REE Machine

Banned

Excuses galore.

Top Bottom