• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Group: The Last Of Us 2 "Instantly" becomes third best selling game of 2020!

Cracklox

i would love to see numbers on how many people bothered to finish it, how many people sold it, and how many people who bought digitally regretted their purchase.

there was no doubt it was gonna sell so well after the first game. if they do a part 3 that'd be interesting...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trophy data shows 48.5% of people have the trophy for finishing the game. Pretty good if you ask me. Something like Kingdom Come deliverance had about 10% when I played it a year or so after launch. Or Control which I only played recently has 24%.

But i guess 99% of that 48.5 hated it just enough to finish it or something though

I wonder how many people (like me) are waiting to pick up a PS5 before they get TLOU2?

I have a feeling that this game, Horizon and Spiderman will see a huge boost in sales when the PS5 launches

turtlepowa

Banned
I wonder how many people (like me) are waiting to pick up a PS5 before they get TLOU2?

I have a feeling that this game, Horizon and Spiderman will see a huge boost in sales when the PS5 launches
I have a feeling that Sony adds it for free to the PS5 to compensate for the release games you get "for free" with Game Pass trial.

Considering this news, It seems that we have a case of the vocal minority, since social media gives the false impression that most people hate The Last of Us Part II despite this news indicating the opposite.

I think most normal people will just play the game for what it is and put all the political crap aside .

thelastword

Banned
From the same NPD report...

Here are the top 10 best-selling games of 2020 in the U.S. so far:
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  3. The Last of Us Part 2
  4. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K20
  7. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  8. MLB: The Show 20
  9. Resident Evil 3
  10. Maddden NFL 20
I'm surprised to see FFVII Remake so high and gobsmacked about Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Also, we got used to GTA V immortality but it's mindblowing.
Man LOU took some names in just 16 days, NPD July should be interesting.....

MLB the Show, "my man" Denzel.gif.......Should sell a tonne more when it goes multiplatform, should eclipse the NBA games when that is done.....Sony is going to rake in a lot of cash and sales next gen. It's going to be a slaughter house with how they are building their big franchises...

Then why would you be inclined to believe they are sold-in numbers when NPD tracks sell-through? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Uhmmm, why?

cqP7cHn.jpg
Because he is just trolling at this point...

30min later

Good luck...

I have a few friends that bought it because they saw me playing it. All they play is Call of Duty. One finished it and hated the second half bc he had to unlock everything again. Another one didnt even finish it cause they killed Joel and the other one told him ending. We all bought it digitally.
i would love to see numbers on how many people bothered to finish it, how many people sold it, and how many people who bought digitally regretted their purchase.

there was no doubt it was gonna sell so well after the first game. if they do a part 3 that'd be interesting...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I also want to know if parents bought the game for their favorite child, or the child they HATE. Only sales that matter.
Also want to know how many fans bought disc copies as coasters, that would be atleast 6 copies. We obviously cant count those.
Also want to know how many copies Sony bought themselves on Amazon, so they could leave positive purchase verified reviews. FBI should get on top of this.

I like how supporters are quick to cherrypick numbers to always say vocal minority. "TLJ made $1.3B, so it was a success despite you haters." Yea, but it was projected to make $1.8B or more and was partially retconned in the next film just 2 years later. "ROS made over $1B, so it must have been a success." Too bad it underperformed just as much as TLJ and led to Disney halting production on a couple trilogies they had in development.

The point is, it's way too early to see how TLOU2 will be affected by the controversy. Many avoided the spoilers to this highly anticipated game, so it's opening week or two was always going to be big, just like TLJ's opening wasn't very far off from TFA's. We all know how that turned out. We'll have to wait a few months to see if Sony has any updates on sales figures. If not, its legs are obviously not doing well and probably won't match the 10M TLOU PS3 sold.

The saying really should be get woke, go underperform. Unfortunately, that doesn't rhyme. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

joe_zazen

It's still surprising tbh, Animal Crossing has no digital sales included on the chart and as we know the digital ratio for ACNH is around 50% of the total sales.

just wow. Why are they the only ones putting money in to non kill games?

I have a feeling that Sony adds it for free to the PS5 to compensate for the release games you get "for free" with Game Pass trial.

Yeah, gamepass in this economic climate might be a killer feature. Ive never owned a Microsoft console, but if xss is half the price of ps5 and my total game spend for software is $10 per month with a free 3 month trial...

i mean, think about walking into a store and how much you will have to spend to walk out with a new console:
PS5–>$500 + $60 ps plus + $140 for two new games = $700
xss—>$250 + gamepass trial = $250

Top Bottom