• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

To everyone scratching their heads over the RE:ORC sales isn't it possible that this is "Chronicles syndrome" in play? After RE:4 Wii the first RE game released after that, Umbrella Chronicles, sold great and that was probably due to ignorance of the fact that it was a cheesey on-rails spin off. By the time Darkside Chronicles was released no one was fooled again.

I can see a lot of those RE:ORC sales going to people who bought and enjoyed RE:5 and expected it to be the same.

fernoca

I know it doesn't mean much, because preorders, upfront demand, etc. but; Kid Icarus' 135k was 6 days only... which I guess is quite great for a "dormant franchise" after all this years.

Main report also mentions how the game would've been in the Top 10; if it wasn't for the "all formats" aspect.

SykoTech

4:1??

goddamn. was the PS3 version not so hot?

Wheater it was hot or not probably doesn't matter much. The PS3 had a year late port of ME2, and I believe ME1 never came over. So it's obvious that the 360 is where the majority of the ME fans are.

It's gonna be the same way for the Wii U when (if?) its multiplat games start hitting. Except worse.

LiK

To everyone scratching their heads over the RE:ORC sales isn't it possible that this is "Chronicles syndrome" in play? After RE:4 Wii the first RE game released after that, Umbrella Chronicles, sold great and that was probably due to ignorance of the fact that it was a cheesey on-rails spin off. By the time Darkside Chronicles was released no one was fooled again.

I can see a lot of those RE:ORC sales going to people who bought and enjoyed RE:5 and expected it to be the same.

Yup, blindly buying it based on name alone.

DR2K

Banned
There's no way Capcom thought SFxT could sell 2 Million units in 3 weeks. I don't know any fighting game that could ever do that. Only COD level games do stuff like that.

Either that 2 Million figure from the Capcom financial report PDF must have meant lifetime, or it must have been based on a different release date (since the release date at the time of the report was "TBA").

But, 2 million in 3 weeks for a fighting game...Capcom ain't that crazy.

Well SFIV and MVC3 sold like 800k-1million in their first month NPD. So it has been done before. Regardless with the bad word of mouth Capcom has built up, the artificial super edition, there's no way this game is going to break half in its lifetime. It's a shame Namco let them tarnish the Tekken brand in the process.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
2mm globally in 3 weeks shipped is really not a lot.

And 600k for reorc doesn't impress me. This is a massive franchise and word of mouth is toxic.

Decent number for Kid Icarus, and Mario titles okay. 3DS now at 4.7m in US.
And crap, no percentages to use to extrapolate Vita numbers!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
1 - 360 has the superior online service
2 - Most console players played ME2 on their 360, and wanted to continue their save
3 - 360 is the hot console right now (see sales), and PS3 basically never has been

Nice opinion there, but what does it even have to do with a single player rpg's (until the third entry) performance on the 360?

Your second point is the only one that makes sense (and doesn't have some subtle console wars nonsense in it).

impact

Banned
Original mass effect is published by Microsoft

Doesn't really change much. PS3 only owners are hesitant to buy it because they never played the first. Multi console owners would likely get it on 360 because of their character/choices/save file/whatever. It's not surprising that ME does shitty on PS3.

Nice opinion there, but what does it even have to do with a single player rpg's (until the third entry) performance on the 360?

Your second point is the only one that makes sense (and doesn't have some subtle console wars nonsense in it).

We're talking about the third entry, which has online multiplayer, so the presence of a better online system absolutely makes sense as to which version people might prefer.

Additionally, you don't think that any of the people buying new 360's are maybe looking for what the hottest new game is? Get real.

None of that was console wars nonsense at all. Don't be so sensitive.

Kacho

Before people go nuts saying no Kid Icarus in Top 10.

"Frazier also pointed out that Nintendo's new Kid Icarus actually did pretty well: "In a list of the top 10 SKUs for the month (as opposed to top titles as listed here), 3DS Kids Icarus: Uprising would have been among the top selling individual SKUs for the month of March."

Well deserved.

Carl

PS3 version of ME3 did better than i thought. After not getting ME, and getting ME2 a year late, i didn't expect ME3 to do well at all on PS3

There are many many differences between the two.

I know they are in different positions, its just an example of how a console can turn its fortunes around.

If Sony doesn't have some big guns at E3, then we can start talking Dreamcast, but is the consensus really that this is what the Vitas future holds?

Pretty grim...

SykoTech

Heh. It's timetokill talking about the PS3 (or Sony in general). No surprise there.

so SFXT did between 230,000 and 582,000? I was hoping for less to be honest. How does that compare with the latest SF and MVC3 releases?

Significantly worse. MvC3 was well over 700K, and SFIV did just as well or better.

Top Bottom