• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

They are just hitting the Wii's original price point which is probably why interest is a bit renewed. Everyone who could afford a Wii 5 years ago can afford a PS3/360 now. They should enjoy while they can.

This generation is getting long in the tooth though. Nintendo is a the first one going next-gen which might be a problem for both MS and Sony. If Wii U is highly price competitive with current systems and/or takes off quickly it'll be disastrous for both of them. Even if they start slow like 3DS it might still be a huge problem because they have what looks like a year head-start. This is further compounded if next gen system start hitting $500 again.

MS/Sony won't release anything more then $399, they saw what happened to the ps3 start

mujun

Sort of a different scenario then Mass Effect considering ME began with this generation, and Final Fantasy is self contained and had both Nintendo and Sony fans before this gen, many of which became 360 owners this generation. I guess Devil May Cry 4 would be a similar situation, but I think the two versions sold pretty close.

Sure. I still think that 4:1 is too huge a ratio to just put down to "ME1 was exclusive to 360 and ME2 hit the PS3 a year after it hit the 360."

Pooya

Just a thing: that bloomberg article with PSVita numbers, those are Pachter's estimates not NPD, might be ambiguous.

Derrick01

Banned
Poor Playstation Move. It's like it never existed. :D

That aside, they're both doing reasonably well at the moment. Solid if not spectacular.

Well it's not really boosting ps3 sales or anything. I don't know if it's doing terrible but it was never the factor Kinect ended up being on sales. So that's why I left it out in my comment, I think it's impressive Sony is staying so close without something like Kinect especially as that is perceived to have launched 360 even further than it was doing before.

Rubenov

Sony just doesn't give much of a fart about bragging about sales, even in good months.

The only time you ever really hear them discuss sales with much vigor is immediately after some momentum-shifting event like a price drop.

That's because they're losing. When the PS3 came out that's all they wanted to talk about, how much it was going to beat the 360.

MS/Sony won't release anything more then $399, they saw what happened to the ps3 start

Isn't $399 the 360's launch price? Are we revising that to be a good launch price now? The 360 didn't start dominating in the US until the slim released and the price came to down to $199 in tandem.

Vita passed 200k, but less than 3DS.

Thats not so bad then.

So PS3 actually did really well and Sony didn't even bother to mention it. Uhm...

Sony don't give numbers no matter how good or bad they are, it seems.

With the vita numbers being respectable, pretty much. Unless they actually beat the 360 or 3DS one of these months.

He/she can't but they are legit numbers

Speevy

Banned
Sony may have lost 6.4 billion, but this month we celebrate!

Where are those Playstation bananas?

Also we need the Zoolander car thing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow, good for Vita. Still holding out for better games but pretty good. Finally decent news for Sony

But wasn't the 3DS doing similarly poorly at the same stage of its life? Or is the Vita situation far worse?

The 3DS turned its fortunes around... I really hope the Vita can do the same.

3DS dropped its price and released a bunch of quality first party developed titles. Vita is more than welcome to do the same.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My guess is that releases of Mass Effect 3 and/or MLB 12: The Show may have influenced sales.
It did pretty well last month too.

Xbox 360 - 426K (-20.4%)
PlayStation 3 - 360K (-11%) (PR Math)

But yeah, MLB 12 must have had an impact this month.

Well it's not really boosting ps3 sales or anything. I don't know if it's doing terrible but it was never the factor Kinect ended up being on sales. So that's why I left it out in my comment, I think it's impressive Sony is staying so close without something like Kinect especially as that is perceived to have launched 360 even further than it was doing before.

They've sold millions of moves though without spending a fortune in marketing it. It's likely been quite profitable for something they barely acknowledge.

Top Bottom