• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

great numbers for the 360.

Hopefully the ps3 is at least better then last year but after they fired there marketing guy last week I get the feeling shit didnt go to plan for SCEA.

Grecco

Kinect really can't be the only thing driving 360 sales, right? As much as people bitch about lack of Wii software it's just as bad for the Kinect.

Id venture to guess a good chunk of those 9m COD sales are people who bought 360s this month. Oh and id say the majority of Elder Scroll sales are 360 too.

Kinect really can't be the only thing driving 360 sales, right? As much as people bitch about lack of Wii software it's just as bad for the Kinect.

The 360's push into media with things like ESPN 3 has been really helpful as well as the absurdly good holiday bundle this year is certainly driving alot of the sales as well.

The 360 has become the go to console for just about all types of gamer.

fernoca

Zelda's sales are so US skewed now that it's just completely ridiculous. It's done ok in Japan, badly in EU and ridiculously well in the US! With an art style like that, who would've thought it?
I know this is an NPD thread, but were numbers for the entire EU posted for Zelda? The only number I've seen online were an estimated close to 50k (in 3 days) in the UK only which was close to Twilight Princess (a launch title). Aside that, mentions that it was doing better in other EU countries. If anything, it seems to be doing as "ok" as in Japan.

Darn nice 1.7 million 360s.

BurntPork

Banned

You mean it's far, far worse for Kinect. However, it's a bigger gimmick, and it supports the anti-buttons movement, so it's flying.

Halo, Call of Duty, Skyrim, price... big games and good value, basically. Kinect is - I suspect - far less of a driver in the sales at the moment (though it will be doing its bit).

ASIS

I think it's just the entire re-design of the 360. You have a new looking console, Kinect, and a price tag. Along with all the FPS's and improved XBL... It's really not that hard to see why sales are boosting.

Oh and MW series.

TheOddOne

acGjE.png

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I haven't played a gears game, but isn't is kinda apples and oranges? Gears is (at least seems like) a multiplayer title first, Uncharted is a single play title first (and for UC1, only!)

I wouldn't exactly say apples and oranges. Both essentially cover based shooters with terrible grenade throwing mechanics. I realize Gears had a big multi component, but I'd say Uncharted's quality of narrative was its "other selling point". Obviously the multiplayer kept the disc in people's 360s much longer than UC.

360, a console just hitting its prime (in the US).
Which is why i continue to be baffled by those calling for the next Xbox.

Would you kill your golden goose too, in the hopes a new goose that shits magic eggs shows up instead?

Why wouldn't they just have two geese?

PS3 calculations
aarongreenberg Aaron Greenberg
NPD reports 1.7M Xbox 360's sold in Nov, 49% share, +23% YOY, nearly double all other consoles.
1 minute ago

Xbox Live community.

I do believe this helps.
I go over my 10 yr old nephews house where he's there with a few other friends talking over Live with his other 10 yr old friends "killing noobs" on his shiny new 360. His 360 has replaced his Wii. I think that is what is happening here.

Dabanton

The thing is the 360 doesn't just have to rely on Kinect for it's sales, it's an all round console something the Wii never had.

FatCat

360 numbers are out of this world, congrats to MS!
Nintendo numbers are good, though I'm sure they were hoping for better for 3DS.
Sony numbers? We'll see.

So many big games in the top 10 that there's nothing to say except that good games sell.

REV 09

looks at #1 game on the list...are you really asking this? The 360 is effectively two successful platforms at this point.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I wonder if a straight up price drop announcement to $200 for the PS3 over limited bundles at that price would have given it a better fighting chance.

Nah, it can't be Call of Duty or XBL.

They've both been big hits for a while now, without really helping 360 hardware sales.

Kinect seems to be the key.

People clamoring for the Xbox Loop next year are insane. There's a difference between striking when the iron is hot and when it's goddamn on fire; with a price drop + Halo 4 + BLOPS 2, the 360 will probably just as well if not better next November.

Fularu

Banned
Oh. What a disappointment. At least it's selling, though. But still... :\

Thanks, guys!

It's not disapointing since there are almost 38 millions of them in US homes (that's excluding Canada). The PS2 *shipped* 50 millions units in NA lifetime.

I mean by the end of december, the Wii will be at or above 40 million units sold, that's mighty impressive, they can't keep selling 7 million units a year forever

360, a console just hitting its prime (in the US).
Which is why i continue to be baffled by those calling for the next Xbox.

Would you kill your golden goose too, in the hopes a new goose that shits magic eggs shows up instead?
Because the majority of those 1.7 million customers are late-adopters, the same types of consumers who choose to spend their money on bargain bin and pre-owned games.

Microsoft needs to get the core and early adopters excited again and the only way to do that at this stage really, is with brand new hardware*. That said, I still think 2013 is when that will happen.

* Especially with Nintendo releasing Wii U so soon.

Top Bottom