• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

Kazerei

Banned
It's a bit disconcerting that 3DS is down YOY. Unlike the other platforms, the 3DS is new and is supposed to be growing. It's not down by much, but it's been a pattern for the last 3 months.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii and PSP still got a new entry of NBA 2K while 3DS or Vita didn't.

Wii is comprehensible, but PSP...I hope they'll release a 3DS SKU next year, along side the obvious Wii U one :p

Yeah people are really positive about the Vita!!!

I've never seen a fan base so rabidly-delusional about the potential outcome of their system of choice since the Dreamcast. (This comes from a place of love, I was one of those hopeful Dreamcast people.)

So. Yeah. In terms of outlook, some people are entirely too positive for how the system is fated.

U2NUMB

Very surprised Forza did not chart. I know many on my friends list picked it up based on the good feedback. Hope it has legs of some sort.. it deserves it!

Notable new releases in this period that didn't chart:
007 Legends
Dance Central 3
Doom 3: BFG Ed
Fable: The Journey
Forza Horizon
Harry Potter for Kinect
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Zumba Fitness Core

Thanks for the complete list of the:
jRPYH.jpg
of the month.

FoneBone

It's a bit disconcerting that 3DS is down YOY. Unlike the other platforms, the 3DS is new and is supposed to be growing. It's not down by much, but it's been a pattern for the last 3 months.

Without new releases as big as the Mario games last year, there's a very good chance of the YOY declines continuing in November and December.

Kazerei

Banned
Didn't Wii and 360 get price cuts in October?

360 kinda got one for the 299 version but the lowest barrier remains at 199 as it has for almost 4 years now.

Wii got a $20 price cut. Weak sauce.

Without new releases as big as the Mario games last year, there's a very good chance of the YOY declines continuing in November and December.

I agree, the outlook is pretty bad for 3DS in North America this holiday season.

Tookay

I've never seen a fan base so rabidly-delusional about the potential outcome of their system of choice since the Dreamcast. (This comes from a place of love, I was one of those hopeful Dreamcast people.)

So. Yeah. In terms of outlook, some people are entirely too positive for how the system is fated.

Don't worry; I'm sure a barebones version of COD will save it.

Unless Sony can rally the Vita (tall order, I know), I fear for the state of development on the handheld going into next year. Developers are going to even less eager to put their time into it. I might have a system sitting next to me over here that essentially dies off in under three years.

It's been fairly obvious since E3 that this holiday is its last hope to become semi-viable in the West.

Miles X

360 outsold the Wii by 220,000 units this month, closing gap to 4.5m. For referenced, it only outsold the Wii by 143,000 last October.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I still think they have a good possibility in topping, at least, last year sales. Paper Mario can be pretty strong ( remember how Mario & Luigi did), then there's NSMB2 which should have a pretty good boost for the end of the year, and MK7 and SM3DLand will have a boost too.

Tookay

I'm sure Paper Mario will do alright, partially from people who don't know any better about its RPG roots and just want to pick up a Mario game for their kids.

I mean M&L3 did fairly well and it released around the same time frame a couple years back.

Miles X

whoa already only 4.5?

Yup, and despite overall sales slowing, the rate at which it's outselling wii has sped up this year, apart from June and September (by a small margin)

If it kept the same rate as last Nov + Dec the gap will close to 3m by the end of the year, but I have a feeling Wii is goin to drop in sheer units much more than 360.

FoneBone

I'm sure Paper Mario will do alright, partially from people who don't know any better about its RPG roots and just want to pick up a Mario game for their kids.

I mean M&L3 did fairly well and it released around the same time frame a couple years back.

I never said Paper Mario would do badly (it won't), just that it's not as big as a new Mario platformer or Mario Kart.

Jeff-DSA

what spin will Sony America give us when it doesnt pick up after xmas?

"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Sony Xperia products and Sony tablets, the Vita sales have suffered. We gave our customers a choice, and they chose Android over Vita OS. We still believe that Vita is the best pure gaming experience available in handheld form, but we have chosen to focus the majority of our development and partnership funding to our Android-based hardware."

pargonta

is just dance not a big deal anymore? i thought each iteration was pretty big. guess not.

edit: or, people havent started shopping for families yet. it will probably chart in nov/dec

Petrae

That's as close to a lock as there is.

3DS moved 796,000 in November of 2011 and 1,606,000 units in December of 2011. That's almost assuredly not happening again given middling release slate, no price movement, and other factors.

Tookay

It's been fairly obvious since E3 that this holiday is its last hope to become semi-viable in the West.

Thing is, even if it does adequate this holiday, it's too late to get the ball rolling on Vita development: you won't see anything come out of a developer starting something today until the end of next year. There's no momentum to carry the system to that point.

Miles X

@31Dec would be less than 2.5 Million ( possibly 2 )

Expect it, I expect Nov and Dec to be down for 360 (Nov possibly less so with Halo 4) but I expect Wii to be down to abysmal numbers, it hasn't even got its predecessor on the market yet and it's doing 12.5k or less weekly? Awful.

I expect 1.8 - 2.5m end of the year.

XCOM probably has really strong digital sales. I'm sure it sold well.

I think it has a very good chance of being a profitable game. I also think the budget for the game was set at a level that will allow it to be profitable without getting huge sales from the retail market. It can serve as a great example of a B level game (In terms of budget, don't kill me XCOM Gaf) executed correctly.

I also think 2K has claim that fact as well. Here you go:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/31/xcom-enemy-unknown-a-success-more-dlc-coming.aspx

"The title is proving to be a critical and commercial success, with strong digital sales and a near 90 average review score on Metacritic," Take-Two said in a statement. "XCOM: Enemy Unknown is being supported with two downloadable add-on content packages available this year, with additional content planned for 2013."

Bruno MB

3DS moved 796,000 in November of 2011 and 1,606,000 units in December of 2011. That's almost assuredly not happening again given middling release slate, no price movement, and other factors.

I didn't remember such a good sales, probably because I've gotten used to shitty portable console sales in the US market. That amount now looks unreachable.

Tookay

I never said Paper Mario would do badly (it won't), just that it's not as big as a new Mario platformer or Mario Kart.

I think for the majority of consumers, a Mario game is a Mario game though.

A parent walks into a Gamestop around the holiday season, wanting to buy a 3DS or a game for his/her kid. They're bound to pick up some Mario game - especially the one that's newest or being promoted heavily - on a whim. That benefits PM.

Glad Dishonored charted. I was worried it might bomb. 460K is pretty good for a new IP right? Granted sales overall are usually front loaded and it will have to compete against the holiday's other big titles, but don't you think it could break a million?

liger05

"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Sony Xperia products and Sony tablets, the Vita sales have suffered. We gave our customers a choice, and they chose Android over Vita OS. We still believe that Vita is the best pure gaming experience available in handheld form, but we have chosen to focus the majority of our development and partnership funding to our Android-based hardware."

Its a marathon not a sprint

ZoddGutts

Dishounred has done well in Europe especially in the U.K., not dropping much in the charts. Also did well on Steam and continues to be in the top 10 sellers. Overall it did good.

That's...that's not bad. They'd never put something like that out though. How did Sega handle the Dreamcast?

Good to see Dishonoured to reasonably well. I like to see developers who take the risk of a new IP rewarded.

That's a tall order, If it were any other but Nintendo I would say impossible, but they usually catch fire during the holidays, so they have nintendo intangibles going for them.

Top Bottom