• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OldJadedGamer said:
This generation started a year before that article was written.

If you restrict "start of the generation" specifically to when 360 launched, it definitely underlines my point.

Look at the numbers, they reference November 2006 and factor in 1 month of PS3 sales, plus just over 12 months of 360 sales totalling 3.7m units in NA.

It also includes 12 months of PS2 sales to put it at a rolling total slightly higher than what the 360 is at now in the US. So unless you are suggesting that PS2 sold 0 units between November 22 2005 and the date that report covers, my point is proven

By the end of its 6th full year (where 360 is heading) the PS2 was at 40.9m in the US. 360 will be anywhere from 37.5m - 38.5m, so it's a little bit behind.

PS2 I'm fairly confident outsold 360 in the period covering its (360's) first 12 months on the market, I'm sure MS would have made a point of touting its number #1 status were that to be true. So to launch align you need to subtract that from the 35.8 mil stated in that report.

Yes, that total was achieved over 6 years service for 360, versus the PS2's 5 years, but its still an interesting point of comparison.

Miles X

PS2 I'm fairly confident outsold 360 in the period covering its (360's) first 12 months on the market, I'm sure MS would have made a point of touting its number #1 status were that to be true. So to launch align you need to subtract that from the 35.8 mil stated in that report.

Yes, that total was achieved over 6 years service for 360, versus the PS2's 5 years, but its still an interesting point of comparison.

Erm, not sure I really get what you're on about. Yeah PS2 did outsell 360 in its first year (by 800k) not sure how that affects where they were both at, at 6 years into their life though.

Tookay

Yes, it's marvellous that soon the only viable dedicated handheld will have one analogue stick, the power of a Casio calculator and a screen to match. Truly this is worth celebrating.

Too bad the alternative had to be priced outside of the market because of all its "potential."

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Those Layton sales are uh really terrible. I know its a couple days but thats actually worse than SF x T on the Vita? I thought the series was kinda popular in the states?

TheNatural

My Member!
Vita ~ 35k, better than Aug.

I still remember when Vita's price was unveiled. There was a whole lot of "OHH THE HAMMER DROPPED BY SONY, 3DS IS DONE." Just hilarious that anyone with common sense knew this result was coming if they looked at it logically.

But then again I guess Call of Duty hasn't been released for it yet. That's all that was said over and over would, and I quote, "sell like hotcakes." LOL

iammeiam

Any hints on a breakdown for how Virtue's Last Reward turned out?

This one really interests me--I'm probably one of the few dual-platform owners that went with 3DS version over Vita, but the Vita demo turned me off the controls (stylus note-taking FTW.)

SmokyDave

Then Sony should have released a viable system.
But they didn't. I still see nothing to celebrate. The slow death of the Vita leaving no competition in the dedicated handheld market is not a good thing for anyone.

Wow, so much hate.:eek:
Am I wrong?

The hardware is a generation behind the Vita and my phone. Having handheld games developed solely for the 3DS would be a real shame in my opinion. It simply isn't capable enough.

Ridley327

I still remember when Vita's price was unveiled. There was a whole lot of "OHH THE HAMMER DROPPED BY SONY, 3DS IS DONE." Just hilarious that anyone with common sense knew this result was coming if they looked at it logically.

But then again I guess Call of Duty hasn't been released for it yet. That's all that was said over and over would, and I quote, "sell like hotcakes." LOL

A friend of mine on another forum was convinced that long before it was actually unveiled, CoD Vita would have sold 5 million inside of a year.

Oh, to be young again and so full of hope.

TheNatural

My Member!
A friend of mine on another forum was convinced that long before it was actually unveiled, CoD Vita would have sold 5 million inside of a year.

Oh, to be young again and so full of hope.

Yup. More people need to be called out from that stuff, not enough crow has been dished out.

jman2050

But they didn't. I still see nothing to celebrate. The slow death of the Vita leaving no competition in the dedicated handheld market is not a good thing for anyone.

It's an unfortunate truth, but what can be done about it? Maybe Sony should have done a better job making a desirable product that can actually compete in the space?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dynopia said:
Erm, not sure I really get what you're on about. Yeah PS2 did outsell 360 in its first year (by 800k) not sure how that affects where they were both at, at 6 years into their life though.

It puts the PS2 install base in NA at the time of 360 launch at around 31m units. Confirming my contention that 360 is bigger than PS2 was in NA at the start of this generation, given you follow OldJadedGamer's criteria that the generation started with the launch of 360 alone.

d34Ot.jpg

Erethian

Those Layton sales are uh really terrible. I know its a couple days but thats actually worse than SF x T on the Vita? I thought the series was kinda popular in the states?

Layton was officially released on the 28th of October, the reporting period ran till the end of the 27th. So all those sales are for copies sold before the street date.

Am I wrong?

The hardware is a generation behind the Vita and my phone. Having handheld games developed solely for the 3DS would be a real shame in my opinion. It simply isn't capable enough.

Not really. The GBA is the golden-age of handheld-gaming. No serious competitor there.

SmokyDave

It's an unfortunate truth, but what can be done about it? Maybe Sony should have done a better job making a desirable product that can actually compete in the space?
They simply don't have the software and they seem unwilling to do anything about that fact. The hardware (minus the pointless rear touchpad) is perfect.

Vamphuntr

Resident Evil 6 below NBA 2K13 is unexpected, it's quite likely that it had sold less than Resident Evil 5.

Resident Evil 5 (360, PS3) Capcom USA - 1,523k (360 938k - PS3 585k) 31 days
Resident Evil 6 (360, PS3) Capcom USA - ? 26 days

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (360, PS3) Capcom USA - 582K 12 days

The new PS3 Super Slim model must have sold really bad, that was to be expected since they increased its price, that was so nuts.

CoP < 20k
Layton < 1k

pokemon < 900k

SF X TK (PSV) ~ 5k

It does seem like RE6 did worse than RE5 with these informations. Wonder how long it will last in the top 10 with the bad reviews and word to mouth.

Miles X

It puts the PS2 install base in NA at the time of 360 launch at around 31m units. Confirming my contention that 360 is bigger than PS2 was in NA at the start of this generation, given you follow OldJadedGamer's criteria that the generation started with the launch of 360 alone.

Oh right, yeah, but then this has been a much longer generation! Not sure 360 has it in it to overtake PS2 in the states now, but it'll come within a few mill at least, massive feat.

Am I wrong?

Not sure if it's a serious question, but yes you are. A generation behind ? I don't see Resident Evil Revelations being a generation behind. The truth is I don't get your hate toward 3DS while no one brought the subject, just because the Vita doesn't sell well.
Pathetic IMO.

Cheech

Am I wrong?

No, but I don't think anybody is really "celebrating". It's just an over the top disgust with Sony. At some point, you have to ask yourself if Sony itself deserves to fail. They've gone from first to last in nearly every damn market they compete in, and stuff like the Vita is just one of many examples of a business with zero leadership vision.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I honestly can't think of any developer who can't release their games on the 3DS instead of the Vita besides Sony and N1.

The western developers that would prefer a more powerful handheld avoid them like the plague or send their c tier team to do a port of some leftover PS2 code they have hanging about.

Truly awful Vita numbers. I dunno, it's hard to feel sad for it though when Sony basically sent the thing to die. Hopefully CoD/AC can instill some life signs into this quickly dying system :\

The 3DS' numbers only look good when compared to the Vita's. It is also struggling. The entire dedicated handheld market is struggling...that's the big picture and where the true concern should lie. Both 3DS and Vita are overpriced for the market IMO. But better at least one pulls in half decent numbers than none at all.

Am I wrong?

What kind of games do you want on a 3DS that wouldn't be possible? There's not much really so I'm not sure how capability has anything to do with it. The handheld market has never been about specs, but hey, tastes and all that.

Instro

Layton was officially released on the 28th of October, the reporting period ran till the end of the 27th. So all those sales are for copies sold before the street date.

How is that even tracked then? Or is it some sort of placeholder number?

Sandfox

I serious hope this is true because I don't see how its possible for a game like Layton to sell that little.

Am I wrong?

I have given up with Vita doom loving cult, it seems they want Nintendo to go back to charge 250 dollars for outdated technology handhelds, which Nintendo admitted that only charged that much because of the hype for the system after the E3 reveal.

Plus it isn't as if Nintendo is happy with the 3DS performance anywhere outside japan, and if you're outside japan you only get the crumbles that fall out of NOA's mouth software wise.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Not sure if it's a serious question, but yes you are. A generation behind ? I don't see Resident Evil Revelations being a generation behind. The truth is I don't get your hate toward 3DS while no one brought the subject, just because the Vita doesn't sell well.
Pathetic IMO.

SD will be forever salty about it, we can't do anything to change this sad reality

Vita ~ 35k, better than Aug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQbRFZU7rE

Erethian

How is that even tracked then? Or is it some sort of placeholder number?

So long as it's sold at the register it doesn't matter what the official street date is. Also might be online retailers shipping the game a day early, and NPD tracked that.

You of all people should know that this is complete nonsense. The vita was never the biggest threat to the 3DS. It doesn't matter if it dies tomorrow the 3DS has much bigger competition from things like phones and tablets.

Top Bottom