• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Console Gaming fatigue seems to be worldwide and not just relegated to Japan.

Sales are generally horrible all around based on what's known. Typical big burst out the gate but worrying decline since.

Dude, it is one average month in a single territory. I think we need to wait at least another couple of months before screaming "doom!"

DaBoss

I kinda thought that "next-gen" console sales would be frontloaded compared to previous gens considering the consoles were long overdue so that would cause core gamers to flock towards the consoles earlier compared to previous gens.
That's YTD. I believe the person you quoted was referring to the slow down that occurred this month.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but why are people gauging the general success or failure of the new consoles by April's numbers? What software released in April that would lead to fantastic console sales? They sold well out of the gate because they were new and it was holiday time, but aren't sales usually more stagnant this time a year? And didn't the PS3 steadily become more successful as more and more enticing software was released for it?

Again, they're not terrific numbers, but I'm not sure that April 2014 is some kind of legit measuring tool. I imagine that most people interested in the consoles to begin with went ahead and got them, or one or the other, while others are probably waiting on a better software selection. Not trying to be overly optimistic; sure I want to see them do well, I just think it's a little strange to start making guesses concerning the future of the hardware based on last month's numbers.

I don't usually participate in sales-age stuff and I'm by no means pretending to be an expert, I just think that there are some... variables to consider.

I'm not spinning anything. This isn't a PS4 vs XBox One argument. This is a gaming is in trouble and something needs to be done argument.
You can pick and prod at it however you want. These numbers are bad.
This generation needs to pick up quickly or it will not be good times for gamers soon.

Bad compared to what? What were the 360's LTD sales in April '06 and what were the PS3's LTD sales in April '07?

Foshy

Correct, the PS4 is definitely slowing down significantly. It's not doing awfully ion its own by any means, but it's doing reasonably poorly for the leading console in a new generation in which the old generation has already stopped selling.
This was a very empty month though. i'm sure it'll pick up again with MLB and Watch Dogs over the next 2 months, and then again in Fall with Batman, Destiny, Dragon Age and whatever else is coming.

If the X1 sold only 115k in its strongest market for April, what on earth did it manage in the ROTW?

50K? 60? 70??

It would appear it is essentially dead in other markets at the current price and with the current line-up.

Yeah, no one's even gotten around to thinking about this yet (and there's another month to go before that price cut even happens).

Meanwhile PS4 has a ton of other markets their already stronger in anyway adding to their totals.

Correct, the PS4 is definitely slowing down significantly. It's not doing awfully ion its own by any means, but it's doing reasonably poorly for the leading console in a new generation in which the old generation has already stopped selling.
But it's also April which is usually sucky, and the economy isn't as hot as it used to be before 2008. I'm personally waiting for a solid deal come Black Friday/Cyber Monday later this year. Everyone is eeking out as many savings as they can.

RiggyRob

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but why are people gauging the general success or failure of the new consoles by April's numbers? What software released in April that would lead to fantastic console sales? They sold well out of the gate because they were new and it was holiday time, but aren't sales usually more stagnant this time a year? And didn't the PS3 steadily become more successful as more and more enticing software was released for it?

Again, they're not terrific numbers, but I'm not sure that April 2014 is some kind of legit measuring tool. I imagine that most people interested in the consoles to begin with went ahead and got them, or one or the other, while others are probably waiting on a better software selection. Not trying to be overly optimistic; sure I want to see them do well, I just think it's a little strange to start making guesses concerning the future of the hardware based on last month's numbers.

I don't usually participate in sales-age stuff and I'm by no means pretending to be an expert, I just think that there are some... variables to consider.

They're gauging the success/failure of the consoles because no major software came out. It's an indication of what the sales baseline could be for the consoles. Titanfall and Infamous were both out for a whole month, and the best they could manage is ~200k PS4s and 115k X1s.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It would be a curious study for someone to see why this happened. Was the advent of HD gaming that put a premium on big budget games alongside XBLA making people think all digital games have to be bite sized, small experiences? I find it fascinating how the mid tier has died off on consoles yet it doing decently on PC.

I'd imagine it was:

1.) Buying a game digitally on 360/PS3 was a horrible user experience.

2.) Price pegging and anti-self-publishing policies kept a lot of people aay.

3.) Digital games were segregated in stores.

4.) People on consoles weren't used to buying things digitally.

These days DLC and console digital game prices are rising, it's possible to buy a game on a digital console store without it being a bad experience, downloadable titles are in the same store as other titles, and you can actually self publish.

The advent of great indie development tools has also helped.

As such, I suspect downloadable sales on consoles and the scope of downloadable games there will increase quite a bit this gen.

Opiate

It's not just April's numbers, it's the general trends.

Wii U is dead and buried. It's got well over a year's track record at this point to give us reliable data.

Xbox One is trending absolutely terribly. It's not a dead system, but it's going to be a weaker second rather than a stronger one, based not just on sales this month but the curve of the sales over the first 6 months or so.

PS4 is doing well overall, not great this month. The 6 month curve is troubling and not particularly great for the leading console of a generation where both other competitors are weak.

That's what we're looking at here: not just this month's sales, but the shape of the sales curve so far in the 6 month (or 14 month history, for Wii U) of this young generation.

I think May is a more accurate judge of where the PS4 stands as far slowed sales. I know I have talked to some people waiting for Watch Dogs and among them there somehow is this thought that there will be a bundle. I haven't heard anything in the US about a bundle, was that a EU only deal? May e that's why people think there will be a bundle.

Riki

Bad compared to what? What were the 360's LTD sales in April '06 and what were the PS3's LTD sales in April '07?

It doesn't really matter what their LTD was, though. We're talking sustained and continued growth, which is slowing down significantly.
I'd honestly be surprised if the PS4 or One matched their last gen counterparts. And that's not good for anyone.

prag16

Banned
360:

April 2006 - 295K

April 2007 - 174K

April 2008 - 188K

April 2009 - 175K

April 2010 - 185K

April 2011 - 297K

April 2012 - 236K

April 2013 - 130K

Xbox One:

April 2014 - 115K

Xbox 360 has never managed such a low number for April.

Any chance we can get a launch aligned PS4 vs. Wii vs. PS2 comparison, if you have all the numbers handy?

Duxxy3

There really isn't much to buy right now, and April was one of the worst for big sellers. Only title I even thought about buying last month was Trials Fusion.

Publishers are playing it safe, and not pushing for next gen titles.

That's what we're looking at here: not just this month's sales, but the shape of the sales curve so far in the 6 month (or 14 month history, for Wii U) of this young generation.

Gotcha. Hopefully it gets better.

They're gauging the success/failure of the consoles because no major software came out. It's an indication of what the sales baseline could be for the consoles. Titanfall and Infamous were both out for a whole month, and the best they could manage is ~200k PS4s and 115k X1s.

Sure. I obviously can't really speak for everyone, but I was never that interested in Infamous and while Titanfall looks pretty cool it wasn't enough on its own to get me to consider an Xbox One.

Boke1879

This was a very empty month though. i'm sure it'll pick up again with MLB and Watch Dogs over the next 2 months, and then again in Fall with Batman, Destiny, Dragon Age and whatever else is coming.

The Order. COD, Far cry, NBA, Madden. Fall will definitely pick the sales back up.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

I think you're reading an awful lot into one data point.

Nevermind, I see you're taking account the sales curve.

Opiate

But it's also April which is usually sucky, and the economy isn't as hot as it used to be before 2008. I'm personally waiting for a solid deal come Black Friday/Cyber Monday later this year. Everyone is eeking out as many savings as they can.

Yes, definitely true. Things could turn around. Maybe the shape of the sales curves this generation will be less front loaded, but so far it seems the opposite (i.e. that the sales of the new generation machines seem front loaded so far, relative to historical norms). It doesn't mean it's right yet; it's just not trending in the right direction. 6 months of data falls somewhere in between "worthless" and "this gives us conclusive data on how the generation will pan out."

GeoramA

PS4 did okay in a month without any notable releases. May numbers should be definitely be higher.

XB1 and Wii U...shit's depressing, yo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
4DS needs to come out in 2015. It needs to be cheap. It needs to be sleek and slim. It needs to be designed as an always-connected device. It needs to have a totally revamped store with tons of F2P and lifestyle content.

People who say that Nintendo can hang on for 2 years are delusional. The entire business is at risk in the west.

TyrantII

Wii U is dead and buried. It's got well over a year's track record at this point to give us reliable data.

Xbox One is trending absolutely terribly. It's not a dead system, but it's going to be a weaker second rather than a stronger one, based not just on sales this month but the curve of the sales over the first 6 months or so.

PS4 is doing well overall, not great this month. The 6 month curve is troubling and not particularly great for the leading console of a generation where both other competitors are weak.

needs charts (not lolygone charts)

nib95

Banned

It will certainly be interesting to see if WatchDogs will boost sales at all.

Are you sure? X360 first April > PS4 first April.
That's not what I said. You mentioned April 2007. I pointed out ps4 outsold it at the same price point in 2007

And if ps4 at $400 was the only next gen console out this year I'm positive it'd be around what the 360 did it's first year. But that's all speculation.

FiggyCal

Banned

Why are the worst selling consoles the basis of the health of the industry?

Some observations:

Wii First April > X360 First April > PS4 First April
All 3 consoles launched in November.

Also,
XONE First April > PS3 First April by ~40k.

4DS needs to come out in 2015. It needs to be cheap. It needs to be sleek and slim. It needs to be designed as an always-connected device. It needs to have a totally revamped store with tons of F2P and lifestyle content.

I'd be totally shocked if we don't see Nintendo's next handheld at E3.

Tripon

I wonder how much of this is better production lines stratifying demand. Part of the crazy Wii hype of 06/07 was trying to find a Wii because as soon as a store had them, there'd be a line of people to buy it. In the middle of April.

Now, stock is generally well supplied, and you can order online, so there's no need to get yourself into a frenzy looking for something.

prag16

Banned

People who say that Nintendo can hang on for 2 years are delusional. The entire business is at risk in the west.

They need to go late 2015 for handheld, late 2016 for console. Can they manage that? Who knows.

Ran Ran

I never want to see a handheld priced over $200 again. No way a handheld should be almost as expensive as a console.

I think at E3 MS is going to blow there load and show everything they have for the next three years. They will bundle games in the fall and probably give away live free too.

Dude, it is one average month in a single territory. I think we need to wait at least another couple of months before screaming "doom!"

There's always senseless assholes in these threads pointing out how badly everything is doing and how awful sales of everything are. Maybe theyre. PC fanboys, or iOS fanboys upset that apple hasn't crushed all game companies by now.

B.O.O.M

Yes and the June 9th timing is a dead giveaway.

Another thing to add....

The Xbox san's Kinect Annoucement

Was made now and not E3 for very obvious reasons.

Bingo! I didn't buy that PR nonsense one bit. It made no sense to me.

Also I have to remind everyone again that CBOAT was right on the money! He said they will bring a kinectless version in summer and they will check the numbers in May. Doesn't getting anymore accurate than this

Top Bottom