• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

ryan299

Eh. It's not crashing anywhere. Handheld market is crashing but home console market is just going back to normal after abnormally big last gen. Wii made the market look bigger than it's. Now without Wii like phenomenon we are going back to PS2 gen like numbers.

Getting smaller isn't good. Especially when a lot of analysts were thinking this generation was going to be just as big if not bigger than last.

Off Topic, but is this real? Tweets are coming up from industry people with it....Sorry, I can't post topics...
Ai8h9P7.jpg

Road

Is the 200k for PS4 legit? Hard to trust first time leakers. =P

If so:
Code:
US NPD Harwdare January to April

2007	WII	1,390,000
2001	PS2	1,350,000
2014	PS4	1,110,000
2006	360	  900,000
2014	XBO	  830,000
2007	PS3	  580,000
2002	XBX	  480,000
2002	NGC	  330,000
2013	WIU	  230,000

Rounded to nearest 10k.
Code:
US NPD Hardware Total After 6 months

PS4	3,110,000
XBO	2,640,000
WII	2,480,000
PS2	2,130,000
XBX	1,880,000
NGC	1,530,000
360	1,500,000
PS3	1,280,000
WIU	1,120,000

Rounded to nearest 10k.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
PS4 isn't really supply constrained anymore, if that's what you're getting at. If anything I'd say the fact that PS4 had a higher launch supply than any of those three is the contributor to the slowdown now- everyone who wanted one ASAP already has one, so what's left are the people waiting for more games (or a particular game) to come out and justify the purchase of a PS4/XBone.

I'm saying Sony was able to manufacture more consoles and was able to satiate demand far quicker than previous consoles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think most of us knew that the demand would taper off around this time of year because of how many units MS and Sony got out there early. I am not surprised at all at the 200k PS4 number. It is the slow time of year and the hard core gamer demand has been met.

What is concerning is how poorly they are moving software. Twice as many units and only 40% gain in software sales compared to last generation. The biggest exclusive for Sony until the fall dropping off the charts in 1 month. The 360 carrying titan fall numbers it is very ugly.

At least people can start to accept there will be a major shrinkage of the market when the clear undisputed leader is only at 200k in a month that is not supply constrained. I think we are looking at going back to a market the size of the PS2 era or less which many of us said for a while.

Easy, it can be platinumed in literally days. Its very short.

Word on the street is it can be rented and fully experienced within a week, two tops. And won't need to be touched again.

Word of mouth spreads. Its too short and slim on content.
Great.

Except you failed to explain why it's a best seller.

Paracelsus

Angry Birds is already a bigger franchise.

But it's a glorified newgrounds game, rather than a full blown AAA franchise, which was his point all along. He said to call him when publishers will entrust a hundred million dollars worth game for smartphones to sell.

Opiate

Off Topic, but is this real? Tweets are coming up from industry people with it....Sorry, I can't post topics...
Ai8h9P7.jpg

This is a good way to continue to not post topics. We don't let juniors post topics for a reason, and you can't have picked a worse thread to throw this in to. Pretty clearly, you just wanted the busiest thread possible, regardless of its relevancy to what you wanted to post.

def sim

GTA V, if that wasn't clear.

The technology is certainly there or, rather, will be very soon, especially with nvidia's efforts with tegra. A port from rockstar, I don't know. If we're using 5-6 years as per ghts' post, then yeah, sure. That's a long time; anything can happen.

Teddified

Do you guys think Watch Dogs still has console buying power? Since all of the hoopla I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people decided to just get it on the Last Gen systems instead of upgrading for the game. Or just went with a PC version.

Also I'm wondering if after Watch Dogs It'll slow down a bit also until the bigger fall releases start coming up like Destiny.

Sony has not actually really given a fk about the JP launch tho. They launched there way late and prioritized other regions before it, and rightfully so.

Japan is a different situation to be tackled really. With time JP devs will switch over to next gen and the games will start coming more often than now. Sales will improve along with it. But for now, they are and should focus almost entirely on the west.
I've seen a few ps4/vita announcements recently. I think this is how Japanese developers will transition to next gen. It will still take a while before that happens though.

Theres an imminent push for 4K displays.

If titles are struggling to achieve 1080p 30fps, there is going to be demand for hardware that can display a 4k image natively.

4k, shmorkay...a display standard that will have a hard time getting traction for lack of content and market demand. By the time it becomes a mass market force to aim for with consoles, they'll have reached the ripe old age of six and seven, fully ready to be replaced by competing platforms or followed up by updated configs. Remember that basic HD 720p had a hard time being met in the early going of last gen. They'll work out better utilization of the hardware, provided it get enough care and attention by first party and everyone down the line.

They probably do but we are not going to get mainline GTA game made for tablets anytime soon after GTA V numbers.

Rockstar won't make a exclusive tablet game due to that fact that consoles are their cash cow. It's easier for them just to port their old stuff and make money on it because people like you and I will buy it.

We could possibly see a small point and touch game to gain XP or unlock things for the actual release of one of their games but anything else, I think not.

FourMyle

Is the 200k for PS4 legit? Hard to trust first time leakers. =P

If so:
Code:
US NPD Harwdare January to April

2007	WII	1,390,000
2001	PS2	1,350,000
2014	PS4	1,110,000
2006	360	  900,000
2014	XBO	  830,000
2007	PS3	  580,000
2002	XBX	  480,000
2002	NGC	  330,000
2013	WIU	  230,000

Rounded to nearest 10k.
Code:
US NPD Hardware Total After 6 months

PS4	3,110,000
XBO	2,640,000
WII	2,480,000
PS2	2,130,000
XBX	1,880,000
NGC	1,530,000
360	1,500,000
PS3	1,280,000
WIU	1,120,000

Rounded to nearest 10k.

Thanks for this. Very interesting.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Meh month.

We need this gen's Gears of War already (and I don't necessarily mean a new Gears of War).

Something to really demonstrate this gen's potential to fence sitters that is unarguably worth $400+

m@cross

Hmmm, was a bit concerning until I read all of the first post

Infamous #1 next gen seller in April. Still not thrilled to see lower numbers, but expecting it to beat out systems with huge install bases is a bit unrealistic. If it was also on PS3 I think it'd likely be near #1.

Also not sure about everyone else, but I have a back log of PS4 games now, might simply be people are enjoying other games and not ready to buy it yet.

About as hilarious as that document showing the games lineup MS and Sony presentations. It's suddenly sad when you realize some sad fuck typed all that out, just for some internet karma.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
The technology is certainly there or, rather, will be very soon, especially with nvidia's efforts with tegra. A port from rockstar, I don't know. If we're using 5-6 years as per ghts' post, then yeah, sure. That's a long time; anything can happen.

I doubt that a "crap tablet" will be able to run anything like what we'll being seeing from the PS4/X1, even in 5 years.

ryan299

Do you guys think Watch Dogs still has console buying power? Since all of the hoopla I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people decided to just get it on the Last Gen systems instead of upgrading for the game. Or just went with a PC version.

Also I'm wondering if after Watch Dogs It'll slow down a bit also until the bigger fall releases start coming up like Destiny.

it's really difficult to figure out whats going on with that game. I feel like one week everybody is buying it then the next no one is. I know I've felt that way about it. I certainly don't think it has as much power as it had last year.

I do think a lot of people are waiting until after E3 and this fall before they decide to upgrade.

I understand this, I'm just saying you can't just discount it as if it doesn't matter. The whole reason contraction is occurring is because all those (much more profitable) consumers who bought Wii's last generation aren't buying any consoles today, and that fact is invisible on your chart. There were a lot of those consumers, and those consumers were highly profitable, and they've been scooped up by competitors like Apple and Google and lost by the console manufacturers.

In other words, we aren't just losing a random sampling of consumers from the console market, we're losing the most profitable ones first, with the remaining "core" gamers typically offering far lower margins. That's a problem.
(I have another chart which shows hardware is growing again, even considering Nintendo's rise and fall. Obviously, I highly doubt it ever grows back to the 20M TTM it reached at the peak of the last cycle.)

I'm not really discounting the fact that that market has moved, I'm fully aware of it. I think most people are. I'm really just noting that the traditional market isn't as dire as its painted out and in particular, reading these April HW sales as some sort of statement is probably premature.

And while it was most definitely higher margin, due to the rising costs of development of large "core" titles limiting their profitability, I don't think many of the large publishers are that exposed to the decline of it ["casual" software]. I think certain publishers probably need to consider their options in terms of trying to reclaim some of that revenue base, for instance Ubisoft and Just Dance, Acti Skylanders, LEGO games, Disney games. I think it won't have any hugely material impact on Take-Two, EA and Bethesda though given their output.

Elios83

Ai8h9P7.jpg

Aahaha global leadership team? Why not secret world domination plan? :D
Also Naughty Dog bothering with Move?
Project Morpheus won't even be a reality by the time Uncharted is released.

delta25

Banned
Bit LTTP, but the console industry is in a pretty fucking awful spot given the PS4 number isn't that high and the XBOne number is atrocious, coupled with massive slowdown of last-gen systems and the irrelevancy of Nintendo. Not good at all.
-"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan

Top Bottom