• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Durante

No small thanks to your help in that community, id bet. Did they ever pay you anything? Haha, id charge a consultancy fee.

Was it ever released st retail or just digital?
Cause she ain't moving off shelf if she was.

Still, it did really well all things considered at launch.
Im sure no one involved is hurting.
I don't think there was a real physical release in the US -- there was in the EU though. Anyway, it should have done really well digitally going by the data we do get (Farfire numbers and Steam concurrent players).

BigDug13

I bought inFamous digitally. My purchase was not counted on NPD. I think that's a huge flaw in the NPD and therefore software sales comparisons using that data are completely invalid.

You can't buy a console digitally so console sales are the only thing NPD is good for IMO.

Eusis

NO.

The FPS genre will decline like every other over-saturated genre.
Give it a few more years. I want it to fucking die.

There needs to be a renaissance in the JRPG and Platformer genres.

Sony, get it done. Nintendo as well.
I'm actually frustrated with the direction FPS went. Something like Doom was exciting for letting me run around in a 3D space from a first person perspective, I'd live to have more games like Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld, Metroid Prime... but most of the time it's a linear campaign, the biggest exceptions being just about shooting loads and loads of enemies akin to a brawler. The former I can enjoy but isn't what I want, while the latter is outright boring (yet I enjoyed Musou for some reason... must be changing mission parameters and the fact it's really a ton of fodder getting in between you and a commander enemy.)

Still, if FPS won't expand (and annoyingly I think I've seen more cases of contraction) I'd definitely want some other genres to raise up.
Don't forget about the disgusting deceit. Thousands of people look at this:

And they get deceived into thinking this is real sales.

I know way too much about the site and its methodology for my own good. And it's all a bunch of lies and nonsense. Those numbers you see there...they are pretty much gibberish.
I certainly can't. That's what pisses me off the most, they make up these numbers and pass them off as legit and actually contest people who say otherwise, then people keep sourcing them because they're all that they can find. Fuck them, if they were at least up front about GUESSING maybe it'd be dumb but ok, but they're just reprehensible.

"-Xbox One sold 447,000 games.
-Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million games.
-The Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined accounted for 53% of all software sales."

MS are lucky that the 360 is still selling well so they can bundle these statistics together to make them look good, because a quick calculation tells me that the Xbone is accounting for about 8.5% of total hardware sales, which does not seem good at all for a region they've previously dominated. This is what Sony used to do as well to hide poor sales of the Vita (not that I'm comparing sales of the Xbone to the Vita).

DieH@rd

Banned
I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png

spfxxc.gif

Well... this was unexpected. Who could have thought that the game with so little content and so limited appeal [badly looking COD clone in space] would drop so fast...

Didn't Pacher say that Chartz was a good source in a Pach-Attack episode?

He sad that they are fairly precise for OLD content [2+ years old], but that they are often mistaken for recent sales numbers which can sometimes fluctuate widely without warning.

Jb

Seeing Infamous outsold by AC4 is a little shocking, but that explains why I see it so often here on used game websites.

Jack cw

Well... this was unexpected. Who could have thought that the game with so little content and so limited appeal [badly looking COD clone in space] would drop so fast...

This might hit way higher waves then we might think. If Titanfall the "gamechanger", with its generated hype and marketing millions dropped like that and couldnt even surpass an exclusive title on PS4, then 3rd parties might rethink moneyhats from Microsoft in the furture. Apparently the warchest has to come up with something different then gold.

demolitio

This was pretty much expected or else there would be no reason for MS to do what they did at this point, especially when that means taking an even bigger hit in May.

This would be easier to understand in a largely irrelevant pie chart however...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
spfxxc.gif

He sad that they are fairly precise for OLD content [2+ years old], but that they are often mistaken for recent sales numbers which can sometimes fluctuate widely without warning.

Summary so far (thanks to creamsugar and John Harker):

HW

PS4: ~199k
XB1: 115k
360: 71k
Wii U: ~49k
PSV: ~3.3k

(Wii+WiiU+3DS)<PS4

8th Gen LTD's
PS4: 3,111,000
XB1: 2,644,000
Wii U: 2,347,000

SW:

Yoshi New Island ~90k
Kirby ~41k
Mario Golf ~17k
Titanfall (standalone) ~77k
Titanfall (standalone + bundle) ~140k
Infamous ~82k
Conception 2 Vita:18k, 3DS 13k
Demon Gaze 6k
Titanfall 360 > Infamous SS first month

LTD's (Wii U software):
Luigi U > 250k > DK > PIKMIN3 > 230K
RAYMAN > SONIC > MHU3 > 100K
TW101: 74K

See bolded

Terrible month for MS and the X1. How did the PS4 do in comparison? I see it's the best selling, but that's a pretty useless fact without the numbers...

Tripon

Disappointing, I had hoped for more long tail sales.

But then maybe that's exactly what we'll get out of PC.

What IS with people predicting so highly for the Xbox? I can see it before launch, but this really just looks like swapping places with Sony, except without taking Europe and PROBABLY not taking Japan.

At least most of them don't present it as TRUEFACT and go to the extreme of running a site with all their made up numbers. Unless they get banned first anyway.

EDIT: And profiting off of it? I hate those people so much.

Chartz makes money off of their website, and they run a consulting business for their video games numbers. That's why I think it's concerning that a website like this exists. There's actually people foolish enough to pay them real money for their fake numbers.

Busaiku

Found the LTDs through December for Etrian Odyssey IV and Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, and both were 36k.
So Conception II doing 31k is fantastic.

Summary so far (thanks to creamsugar and John Harker):

HW

PS4: ~199k
XB1: 115k
360: 71k
Wii U: ~49k
PSV: ~3.3k

(Wii+WiiU+3DS)<PS4

8th Gen LTD's
PS4: 3,111,000
XB1: 2,644,000
Wii U: 2,347,000

SW:

Yoshi New Island ~90k
Kirby ~41k
Mario Golf ~17k
Titanfall (standalone) ~77k
Titanfall (standalone + bundle) ~140k
Infamous ~82k
Conception 2 Vita:18k, 3DS 13k
Demon Gaze 6k
Titanfall 360 > Infamous SS first month

LTD's (Wii U software):
Luigi U > 250k > DK > PIKMIN3 > 230K
RAYMAN > SONIC > MHU3 > 100K
TW101: 74K

Holy shit, PS4 selling almost double can't make happy reading for MS. The price cut can't come soon enough, but I'm not sure it will stimulate demand as much as MS and others hope it will, especially with it being worse value than the TF bundle that was recently on sale almost everywhere at a reduced price.

And those Vita numbers. Good grief. Smokydave is surely weeping hysterically into his morning coffee.

StevieP

Banned
spfxxc.gif

Infamous lacks content as well and also dropped quite a bit.

I bought inFamous digitally. My purchase was not counted on NPD. I think that's a huge flaw in the NPD and therefore software sales comparisons using that data are completely invalid.

You can't buy a console digitally so console sales are the only thing NPD is good for IMO.

Yep, I bought mine digitally also

BigDug13

Seeing Infamous outsold by AC4 is a little shocking, but that explains why I see it so often here on used game websites.

It's shocking to see a crossgen game available on 5 platforms outselling a game available on only 1 platform? What's shocking about that exactly?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Sony gave a free copy of InFamous with every console&#8230;.you get my point.

See the issue is their numbers are so close, Considering Titanfall is still pretty much the XB1 system seller whereas infamous certainly is not (it's one of many popular games on the PS4) there's a high chance some of those ones would have picked up the game anyway.

So it very likely would have outsold it either way. If Infamous was bundled for free it probably would have outsold it based on sales of the PS4.

But as you can see XB1 is selling quite badly.

Digital is still only consistently 10-20% of game sales, and tends to stay in that percentage for the vast majority of games. So maybe the sales are 90-100K this month, that doesn't really change anything, and probably doesn't change the order of anything except maybe comparing sales to games from more than about 2-3 years ago.

In other words, just add 10% more sales to get your lower bound and 20% to get your upper and call it a day.

BigDug13

Wow, Vita sales under 5k. I'm hoping that's because people were waiting for the Vita Slim.

Considering the price they were still charging for a new vita 1000, it's not surprising that some people would shun the more expensive console for the upgraded model for $200 with 8GB memory and a full AAA port.

Wow, Vita sales under 5k. I'm hoping that's because people were waiting for the Vita Slim.
Heard people murmuring about it being hard to locate on shelves due to the new Slim Vita release in May. Could be the reason for such bomba level of sales. Not that i expect any magical improvement in May.

The price cut happening in June 9th aka conference day is a dead giveaway but this confirms it.
Price cut for what?

Jack cw

199K doesn't seem very good either though. I guess there weren't any big games out for the PS4 last month.

200k is ok if you consider that its still not hugely available in a slow month like April. And its nearly 100% more than xbone sold in the same month. I call that pretty impressive and surprising.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
200k is ok if you consider that its still not hugely available in a slow month like April. And its nearly 100% more than xbone sold in the same month. I call that pretty impressive and surprising.

Less than 100% more than the XB1 numbers isn't exactly something to brag about when XB1 numbers are shit. It's like bragging about beating the wii u.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
That much is guaranteed.

Isn't in line with the other games: 8 or so hours for main campaign, 20+ hours if you do all the side missions, find the shard blasts etc.

I did everything bar play it twice, and I was under 12 hours easily. It's like a 4 to 5 hour game I bet, if you don't do the side stuff. Very light on content. Especially considering your just doing the same thing over and over again, in the side quest stuff

Top Bottom