• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

stewacide

The 'angry white males' who buy Madden and wrestling games yearly are seemingly the only demographic that isn't enamoured with the Wii, and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. Eschewing that demo' is a large part of Nintendo's recent success.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tzeentch said:
Lead SKU on PS3, which based on the 1UP podcast has some neat features not found on 360. I doubt it will drive console sales though since the differences don't seem to be major.

What are these differences?

Well, the media should be getting wind of the beta updates for Home, so expect some mainstream press coverage to really help out the PS3 next month.

Xisiqomelir

Tzeentch said:
cobra_small.gif

:lol

Deacon deserves credit for the inspiration (Tabris too)!

Mrbob

stewacide said:
The 'angry white males' who buy Madden and wrestling games yearly are seemingly the only demographic that isn't enamoured with the Wii, and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. Eschewing that demo' is a large part of Nintendo's recent success.

Nice spin attempt.

I give it an 8.5/10.

Way to go Bioshock!

everything else is pretty boring. Looking at the Hardware numbers is getting dull at this point. Its just the same things every month and nothing is going to change. The roles have been locked for this gen.

Sharp

stewacide said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Really.

Madden is a hugely popular game with people that like football. If that's the "angry white male" demographic then it's pretty damn big.

stewacide said:
Exactly.

stewacide said:

your post is bullshit, but there are those that will agree.

Edit: oh look, someone above me does. what a crazy world!

Tzeentch

Agent Icebeezy said:
What are these differences?
Different (possibly higher quality) textures and true "drop in" PSN mutliplayer because it doesn't need the LIVE networking layer were the two that were mentioned. I would absolutely not be surprised if the PS3 version has additional special perks that haven't been reviewed yet though.

Finally caught up.

sonycowboy
Can you you clarify whether the Bioshock numbers includes the CE, and if not is it possible to provide them? Thanks in advance.

Jammy

Banned
Wii software sales are doing very well. Wii Play and Mario Party 8 continue to do amazingly well and Metroid Prime 3 has great sales for only three days on the market. Mario Strikers Charged has now sold ~250,000 in the U.S. alone, too, I believe.

Wii hardware sales were great, too. Over 400,000 is amazing.

Tough call for Madden Wii, but it still should have passed 100,000, which isn't TOO bad. I mean, it had the competition of all the games listed above.

I'm convinced that the only reason the PS3 Madden even sold ~335,000 was because PS3 owners have been buying little for their system in the past several months. What other PS3 games do you see charting? None. There's no competition on the system. Of course Madden PS3 will sell well then.

Sharp said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Really.

Madden is a hugely popular game with people that like football. If that's the "angry white male" demographic then it's pretty damn big.
Not big enough and not influential enough, apparently.

Tzeentch

Xisiqomelir said:
:lol
Deacon deserves credit for the inspiration (Tabris too)!
Agreed, I only started on it after seeing Deacon's post :)

Bit surprised at the lack of new gifs, I'm not really all that good at it :/

Odysseus said:
burnout is simply not going to make a difference in the console war, get real.

But that lack of difference (which is pretty much guaranteed) could very well make a big difference in the console war, because it might keep developers from ever bothering to give the PS3 preferential treatment in the future. Which is what it needs to stand out in the marketplace. And so the snake keeps eating its tail.

jonabbey

WickedLaharl said:
about when should one start to worry?

If Sony doesn't drop the price before the holidays, I'd worry. If Warner Bros. goes HD-DVD only, I'd worry. If we don't start seeing the PS3 doing better on multiplatform release comparisons than it has so far, I'd worry. If third parties abandon the PS3 wholly, I'd really really worry.

The PS3 won't be the number one platform this generation, and it very probably won't be the number two platform, but I think it'll be a closer split this generation than last, and Sony will have enough incentives with all the avenues for monetization in the networked world with PS3 that it'll be worth their while in a big way to be as aggressive as possible in salvaging the platform.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
titiklabingapat said:
Not big enough and not influential enough, apparently.

So what exactly are you guys saying? That the graphics/shooter/hardcore crowd is the Madden crowd? I'm confused...

I was actually expecting Corruption closer to 250k based on Matt. C early statements, but I think these numbers are still pretty respectable. We will see how it will do in the coming weeks, but it's notable that it's actually doing better than Echoes so far (which, granted, is not that much of an accomplishment), though once again, we will have to follow it a bit longer to see how much better it's doing. I actually expect it to do clearly better than Echoes, but worse than Prime, as it seems that while the decline of the franchise popularity would be halted, this game would still fail to expand significanty the audience of the franchise.

Mrbob

BenjaminBirdie said:
But that lack of difference (which is pretty much guaranteed) could very well make a big difference in the console war, because it might keep developers from ever bothering to give the PS3 preferential treatment in the future. Which is what it needs to stand out in the marketplace. And so the snake keeps eating its tail.

PS3 is done. It is the new Gamecube in NA.

If third parties only have to rely on the 360, watch them as Nintendo devours thier marketshare.

How would this change from the status quo on Wii right now? Nintendo systems sell because of Nintendo games.

The only place where this is slightly bucking the trend is DS in Japan only. And Nintendo games still sell the lions share.

Tzeentch said:
Different (possibly higher quality) textures and true "drop in" PSN mutliplayer because it doesn't need the LIVE networking layer were the two that were mentioned. I would absolutely not be surprised if the PS3 version has additional special perks that haven't been reviewed yet though.

i'd say EA will start favoring 360 more than ps3...oh about 2 hours ago and the 360 version of burnout will be just fine.

jonabbey said:
If Sony doesn't drop the price before the holidays, I'd worry. If Warner Bros. goes HD-DVD only, I'd worry. If we don't start seeing the PS3 doing better on multiplatform release comparisons than it has so far, I'd worry. If third parties abandon the PS3 wholly, I'd really really worry.

The PS3 won't be the number one platform this generation, and it very probably won't be the number two platform, but I think it'll be a closer split this generation than last, and Sony will have enough incentives with all the avenues for monetization in the networked world with PS3 that it'll be worth their while in a big way to be as aggressive as possible in salvaging the platform.

I think we're all waiting for that shoe to drop to determine PS3's fate.

Kuroyume

Banned
stewacide said:

Angry white males? What the hell are you talking about?

Jammy said:
I'm convinced that the only reason the PS3 Madden even sold ~335,000 was because PS3 owners have been buying little for their system in the past several months. What other PS3 games do you see charting? None. There's no competition on the system. Of course Madden PS3 will sell well then.

I think it was John Davison who posited, on the celebrated online "pod"cast, 1up Yours, that Madden is one of the few real barometers that help measure the overall buying userbase of any console (the Wii seems to be immune to this) but it's probably fair to extrapolate that the PS3 has about a 400,000 strong pool of loyal users who will buy most big releases for that console. And that the 360 has a pool of about 800-900,000. If you believe Mr. Davison.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
titiklabingapat said:
Apparently, yes, or very close to it.

You're not making any sense. Madden is a very casual/mainstream game. The Wii needs to sell more than 100K copies of Madden, bottom line. Blaming the consumer for being angry young men is just idiotic.

Tzeentch

jonabbey said:
Does the HD disc format really matter these days? Both formats seem to be stuck in first gear and early adopters who hopped on to the PS3 for Blu-Ray already bought the unit I would think.

Another price drop this soon might kill their sales though, as a lot of people would just wait for another round of drops and retailers would probably flip out with all their unsold inventory. Plus it might alienate early adopters - I don't think they can expect as much good-will as Apple did with the iPhone cuts.

Ether_Snake said:
I was talking about the Japanese market.

Wii sales can't keep on being that strong for much longer. When the mentioned games are out (RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5, etc.) the PS3 will swallow up all PS2 sales and the by that time the Wii will have what? Those Japanese gamers are not buying PS3s because it has NOTHING being released for it now, but that doesn't mean that suddenly they don't care about the games I mentioned above. Those games are just not out yet. I'm 100% sure the PS3 will be the leading home console in Japan once the big games above are released. It doesn't have much competition in that department and like I said it's not like Japanese gamers have turned their backs on their former favorites.

In the US tho, obviously the 360 will sell more copies of the above games that are also being released for it. But the PS3 will be closer to the 360 when those games are finally out for it. So that + it's likely position in Japan = not too bad, but certainly a defeat in the US.

The DS is the only console that has probably settled its position for now and ever, only to be replaced by its successor when it comes. Nothing will surpass it.

Nintendo am doomed!!

Top Bottom