• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Seth C

schuelma said:
I agree it shouldn't have been expected to do great, but with its userbase to get outsold by the XBOX version is a disappointment, plain and simple.

I dunno, consider that the Xbox market in the US was always VERY sports oriented, so among those still holding on the vast majority are bound to be sports gamers. The Wii is a very different market.

rs7k

jonabbey said:
Sony can, and will. They have to. Although sales picked up when the 60 gig went to $499, you could have got a 20gig at launch for that. They have yet to reduce the price of entry at all.

Taking a 40gig unit out to market at $399 is only a $100 price drop compared to launch.

So, who do we have to talk to in order to make this bet? Are you staking a perma-ban on your account?

one-month ban

Sony isn't going to risk alienating their shareholders for a price cut. I'd be extremely surprised.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Seth C said:
I dunno, consider that the Xbox market in the US was always VERY sports oriented, so among those still holding on the vast majority are bound to be sports gamers. The Wii is a very different market.

If the Wii is to be the PS2 of this generation as supporters have claimed, then it has to appeal to sports gamers, bottom line. Don't let Nintendo's marketing fool you- they want to expand the audience, not create a completely different one.

traveler

Not Wario
Hcoregamer00 said:
Of course talent has a lot to do with it, don't put words in my mouth. The problem is that even the most talented person would make a crappy game if they were given a small budget to work with and 6 months to make a game.

It would look even worse if the game you were working on was a game for the PS2 that was ported to the Wii with tacked on Waggle.

I wasn't putting words into your mouth- you literally said money was the only difference and, while I agree that budget has a lot to do with things, that was taking it a bit too far.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Even if the PS3 went to $399 it would not beat the 360 in the US. Halo 3 will make sure of that.

jonabbey

rs7k said:
one-month ban

Sony isn't going to risk alienating their shareholders for a price cut. I'd be extremely surprised.

I'll take that bet. One month ban for you if Sony releases a $399 SKU before the holidays, and a one-month ban for me if they don't.

I win either way, 'cause if Sony doesn't, it'll be too much to bear to read all the sales gloating on GAF. :lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I agree it shouldn't have been expected to do great, but with its userbase to get outsold by the XBOX version is a disappointment, plain and simple.

Agreed but Madden has tradditionally sold poorly on Nintendo consoles. This is nothing new.

knitoe

Anime RPG does not sale well in NA. Thus, not surprising BD did poorly. Expect same with Eternal Sonata. Lost Odyssey (Final Fantasy X-XIII) is what people want now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SRG01 said:
No way. Unless PS3 rockets upward in sales, it will not be overtaking the Wii anytime soon. Same with the North American market.

Simply put, the 360 has already cemented itself as the North American software-seller system. Look at those Madden numbers. The Japanese market is a whole other ball game.

I was talking about the Japanese market.

Wii sales can't keep on being that strong for much longer. When the mentioned games are out (RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5, etc.) the PS3 will swallow up all PS2 sales and the by that time the Wii will have what? Those Japanese gamers are not buying PS3s because it has NOTHING being released for it now, but that doesn't mean that suddenly they don't care about the games I mentioned above. Those games are just not out yet. I'm 100% sure the PS3 will be the leading home console in Japan once the big games above are released. It doesn't have much competition in that department and like I said it's not like Japanese gamers have turned their backs on their former favorites.

In the US tho, obviously the 360 will sell more copies of the above games that are also being released for it. But the PS3 will be closer to the 360 when those games are finally out for it. So that + it's likely position in Japan = not too bad, but certainly a defeat in the US.

The DS is the only console that has probably settled its position for now and ever, only to be replaced by its successor when it comes. Nothing will surpass it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
traveler said:
I wasn't putting words into your mouth- you literally said money was the only difference and, while I agree that budget has a lot to do with things, that was taking it a bit too far.

Budget has a lot to do with it, XBOX 360's 3rd party games are high budget games, the Wii's 3rd party games are terrible ports or low budget 3rd party games.

They are apples and oranges.

schuelma

Cooter said:
Agreed but Madden has tradditionally sold poorly on Nintendo consoles. This is nothing new.

Well, part of the argument is that the Wii isn't the traditional Nintendo hostile to third parties console.

jonabbey

rs7k said:
one-month ban

Oh, and if Sony doesn't risk investing more in the platform, the PS3 will just die out, putting their next several years of revenue at high risk, and possibly even threatening the survival of Blu-Ray in the market.

Believe me, the shareholders are buckled in for this ride, they'll have to just throw up their hands and hope the hot dog they ate before getting on doesn't come back up. :D

traveler

Not Wario
knitoe said:
Anime RPG does not sale well in NA. Thus, not surprising BD will do poorly. Expect same with Eternal Sonata. Lost Odyssey (Final Fantasy X-XIII) is what people want now.

Personally, I want the damn genre to get off its ass and do make some progress for a change. I didn't care about Blue Dragon, and I don't care about Lost Odyssey for the same reasons. Mass Effect is pretty much the only RPG hitting this fall that I'm interested in and King's Story and Fallout 3 are the only ones that look promising to me for next year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lobster said:
No its not. A shit game can sell well if it is advertised as well as 360 games (Red Steel).

Red Steel had no competition, it was a lunch title too, and lunch titles sell more than they normally would.

And not it's not easy to magically make a good game or force people to buy it with magical advertising.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Ether_Snake said:

Wii sales can't keep on being that strong for much longer. When the mentioned games are out (RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5, etc.) the PS3 will swallow up all PS2 sales and the by that time the Wii will have what? Those Japanese gamers are not buying PS3s because it has NOTHING being released for it now, but that doesn't mean that suddenly they don't care about the games I mentioned above. Those games are just not out yet. I'm 100% sure the PS3 will be the leading home console in Japan once the big games above are released. It doesn't have much competition in that department and like I said it's not like Japanese gamers have turned their backs on their former favorites.

BH_072.jpg

felipeko

Ether_Snake said:

In the US tho, obviously the 360 will sell more copies of the above games that are also being released for it. But the PS3 will be closer to the 360 when those games are finally out for it. So that + it's likely position in Japan = not too bad, but certainly a defeat in the US.

The DS is the only console that has probably settled its position for now and ever, only to be replaced by its successor when it comes. Nothing will surpass it.
o_O
Seriously?!

schuelma

Ether_Snake said:

Couple of questions

One, do you have any idea how much PS3 is already behind the Wii?

Two, do you know the PS3's holiday lineup compared to the Wii?

Third, do you realize that the games you listed won't be out for a while?

Phthisis

schuelma said:
If the Wii is to be the PS2 of this generation as supporters have claimed, then it has to appeal to sports gamers, bottom line. Don't let Nintendo's marketing fool you- they want to expand the audience, not create a completely different one.

More importantly, no console is ever going to be the "next PS2" without having the highest-selling version of Madden, IMO.

Madden as a franchise is an integral keystone to being that "something for everyone" system a la PS2.

pswii60

icecream said:
Not that I disagree with you (although such a strategy would only work with the larger development companies), but I don't think BD is the example to demonstrate this. There are different types of Japanese games, and some are going to appeal more to the West than others. Blue Dragon did not seem like one of them.

True. BD has had mediocre reviews and Dragon Quest has never sold too well in the West either.

I think even Eternal Sonata will do better, and Lost Odyssey far better.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ether_Snake said:

If you are so sure about it, why not wager a ban bet?

I am sure there will be lots of takers.

Cooter

You need to retake statistics.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
jonabbey said:
I'll take that bet. One month ban for you if Sony releases a $399 SKU before the holidays, and a one-month ban for me if they don't.

I win either way, 'cause if Sony doesn't, it'll be too much to bear to read all the sales gloating on GAF. :lol

Do you think the PS3 will outsell the 360 at $399?

rakka

Ether_Snake said:

Yeah I agree.

Evlar

Banned
pswii60 said:
True. BD has had mediocre reviews and Dragon Quest has never sold too well in the West either.

I think even Eternal Sonata will do better, and Lost Odyssey far better.
We'll see about Trusty Bell, that's a good test. Lost Odyssey is a loooong way out, a very long way out.

Cooter

Well, part of the argument is that the Wii isn't the traditional Nintendo hostile to third parties console.

Yes, but no expert is going to tell you that the majority of Wii owners thus far are 20-40 football loving males.

felipeko

Phthisis said:
More importantly, no console is ever going to be the "next PS2" without having the highest-selling version of Madden, IMO.

Madden as a franchise is an integral keystone to being that "something for everyone" system a la PS2.
Wii Sports > Madden.
If Wii can't be "next PS2" no one will. :)

And Wii have Madden (something for everyone), the people just choose not to buy :(

Lobster

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Red Steel had no competition, it was a lunch title too, and lunch titles sell more than they normally would.

And not it's not easy to magically make a good game or force people to buy it with magical advertising.

No competetion? Zelda,Wii Play and the heap of crappy 3rd party support? Had heaps of competetion, especially from Zelda and Wii Play.

widgetraf

Wow @ NPD.

Glad to be one of the 276k who picked up a 360 in August. Massive Bioshock hype proved to be a console mover in my case and I'm sure a lot of other people share this.

Also, for those who have not previously stepped into the current gen, Madden may have made them pick up a PS3/360 and I guess with the better software lineup, majority chose the 360.

schuelma said:

they've already created a different market. gimme a fn break. how can you say stuff like this when wii fit will probably see a bigger push than mario?

Tabris said:
Yep, no one here can see the long term. Sony is in the position to start battling back and it started today in Japan. The line has been drawn!
What happened in Japan today for the PS3? Some new big game release?

Seth C

schuelma said:

Yes but I have no expectations that the Wii is or will ever be the PS2 of this generation. It isn't. It won't be. But it will sell a shit-ton.

Top Bottom