• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Crushed

Fry Daddy
besada said:
A launch title and no one's done it since. Is there some game you know about coming with that sort of budget?
I didn't say I did, just pointing out that it has been done.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
John Harker said:
aww, crappy Metroid sales. :(

Someone out there just greenlighed another party game, and cancel Project HAMMER.

For days, I think those are pretty good numbers.

FFChris

Seth C said:
Or we played the demo and fell asleep. Seriously, I was looking forward to the game but that demo killed it for me.

The demo was poorly done.

I still might pick up the game.
In the bargin bin.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Isn't that just single-day sales for BD? That's not *HORRIBLE*, all things considering. But still this game deserves to sell way more, hopefully word of mouth hits.

Lobster

Banned
besada said:
A launch title and no one's done it since. Is there some game you know about coming with that sort of budget?

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is coming..Red Steel 2 has been kind of confirmed. Eidos looks like they have some great games on them. DQS should sell nicely here and in Europe and will definitely be a million seller (sold 500k in Japan).

Alot of good Wii games with a decent budget are arriving soon.

Brak

besada said:
What if no one but Nintendo ever has that much faith in the sales?
Third Parties aren't going to be able to exist on PS360 userbase. People can only buy so many games. Look at how many bombs the PS3 has had this year already.

besada

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
From what I seen, only Nintendo has enough faith in the sales of the Wii because they are the only ones pumping out $20 million dollar games with $20 million dollar marketing budgets. It paid off handsomely because their games sell.

I agree totally. Only Nintendo has the faith to do so, even after nearly a year of record-breaking sales. That's no problem for Nintendo, but it's a problem for Wii owners who don't only want to play Nintendo games and shovelware from 3rd parties.

Nolan.

icecream said:
NPD Coverage: August 5 - September 1
Blue Dragon Release Date: August 28th

I still believe it will hit its 200K.

I know but I was hoping a lot more people than that would buy the game within that period. I doubt it manages to sell better next week for some reason. I hope i'm wrong.

Xisiqomelir

The Sphinx said:
Wow, thanks. That has implications I think. For Mistwalker of course, but also for Japanese devs in general.

Let's not overthink things here. A JRPG bombing on the 360 isn't really indicative of general JRPG sales trends.

Odysseus

Banned
updating my predictions for the rest of the year

wii remains a total crapshoot thanks to supply issues.

Code:
month	wii	360	ps3
-----	---	---	---
sep	500	320	150
oct	400	240	120
nov	900	700	400
dec	1200	1000	500
total	3000	2260	1170

predictions originally posted in the july npd thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7555158&postcount=2016). adjustments made to nov/dec totals for all platforms due to thanksgiving falling earlier in the november npd period (boosting sales) and christmas earlier in the december period (dampening sales). in total, it's a zero-sum shift.

numbers for 360 tweaked slightly lower across the board due to lower than anticipated august sales.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Sphinx said:
And that... that right there... is PS3's last best chance.

If Sony has any brains left they'll try to at least cement their position in Japan (they can still take over the Wii, long term, with games like Monster Hunter 3, DMC, RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, etc.).

At the same time they would be behind the 360 in the US, but not TOO far off, and more than anything they would finally get the rest of the userbase moving to the PS3 rather than letting them sit on their PS2 only.

snorggy

this thread, like most NPD threads move at lightning quick speeds so i can't claim to have read every post.. so forgive if i am retreading on an already old topic but..

can the 360's jump in hardware sales be attributed (at least in part) to people re-buying the system for the newly included HDMI and improved heatsink?

also, which is the bigger bomb? blue dragon or lair? dragon games = do not want ??? :)

Narag

Nolan. said:
I know but I was hoping a lot more people than that would buy the game within that period. i doubt it manages to sell better next week for some reason. I hope i'm wrong.

Word of mouth may be necessary since review scores seemed rather low.

felipeko

Madden Wii will have long legs, believe :D

I still can't believe it will bomb this hard... c'mon, Strikers outsold it. u.u'

Lobster

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Oh God, I hoped we had all collectively forgotten Boogie.

As bad as it may be...we must know :D

MobiusPigeon said:
tiger woods? boogie? hello?

Tiger Woods 07 sold over 300k in US (beating Ps3 version). Tiger Woods 08..thats not fair to use since PS3,360 and Wii versions all bombed hard. Boogie was a shit game but the market the game is aiming for is PAL land. Madden 07 hardly bombed on Wii.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nintendo rise to heaven. Sony fall to hell. Microsoft rise to...middle.

Good lord at Madden 360/PS2 sales. Good stuff on Bioshock. I wonder if it has legs enough to reach a million though. Madden Wii bomba. Expected though.

::looks at Brain Age 2 sales::

Mass layoffs at NOA confirmed. Iwata's going to bring down the ban hammer.

On a totally offbeat note:
- Twilight Princess crossed the 5 million worldwide sales mark (GCN/Wii combined).
- The USA Wii version could surpass 2 million by end of the year.
- It will be interesting to see if Phantom Hourglass can sell more copies than the Wii version of Twilight Princess in North America (could be looking at the makings of a huge culture divide in the franchise if this is true).

Lobster said:
I thought the Wii version would outsell the Ps3 version but i would hardly call the Wii version a bomb. EA sports titles have never sold well on Nintendo consoles..Wii is probably going to change that but I don't think its going to do so for another year. Ps3 version shocked me..

EA won't accept that though. I'm sure right now EA is wondering what it can do to further appeal to the Wii gamer.

A first suggestion would be to get the online modes optimized and not cut franchise staples like create a player.

traveler said:
I would be curious to know these as well.
I found it at: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/34271/BioShock-Best-Selling-PC-Game-of-August

WoW: 49,126 copies. BioShock: 77,374 copies.

1) Bioshock - 2K Games
2) World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack - Vivendi
3) World Of Warcraft - Vivendi
4) Guild Wars Eye Of The North Expansion Pack - NCsoft
5) Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword Expansion Pack - 2K Games
6) The Sims 2 Deluxe - Electronic Arts
7) Age Of Empires III - Microsoft
8) Madden NFL 2008 - Electronic Arts
9) Warcraft III Battle Chest - Vivendi
10) Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe - Microsoft
11) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Electronic Arts
12) The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts
13) Sim City 4 Deluxe - Electronic Arts
14) Battlefield 2142 - Electronic Arts
15) Two Worlds - Southpeak Interactive
16) Halo 2 - Microsoft
17) Civilization IV - 2K Games
18) Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows Of Angmar - Midway
19) Guild Wars - NCsoft
20) The Sims Complete Collection - Electronic Arts

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Ether_Snake said:
If Sony has any brains left they'll try to at least cement their position in Japan (they can still take over the Wii, long term, with games like Monster Hunter 3, DMC, RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, etc.).
hahaohwow.jpg

i really cant see ps3 dropping to 399. if they drop to 399 and fail, what next? "oh sony really needs to hit $299!" they cant keep dropping the price so fast. drop to 399 now and it will leave nothing for march 2008.

jonabbey

Maxwell House said:
The Iphone costs way less to manufacture than the PS3 though, so the scenarios aren't the same at all. Apple isn't losing money on each Iphone sold at $399, while Sony would be losing a massive amount of money on each PS3 sold at $399.

And you know this how? The only numbers that anyone ever put forth for the PS3 came from iSuppli, who were pricing components at market prices, not at Sony's cost to manufacture. We know the cost of the Blu-Ray drive has fallen considerably, and Sony is cost reducing the motherboard and such as well.

At some point, Sony has to have the 65nm Cell on their boards, those chips have been prepped for some time from what Digitimes has reported. The RSX should be there as well soon if not now, as they don't have to worry about scaling the EDRAM down with it like Microsoft does with Xenos.

There's too much money for Sony to make on Blu-Ray sales and on PSN sales, Home microtransactions, and retail game discs, for Sony not to be as aggressive as they possibly can in trying to fight for some mind and market share.

They stumbled with the initial pricing, and they've stumbled again in the quality of their marketing, and they've stumbled again with the quality of Lair and (arguably) Heavenly Sword.

They have to understand how the business works and to know that they can't always stumble and expect to survive.

They just have to.

schuelma

Ether_Snake said:
If Sony has any brains left they'll try to at least cement their position in Japan (they can still take over the Wii, long term, with games like Monster Hunter 3, DMC, RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, etc.).\.

Ok, I know this is a U.S thread, but this statement is a bit ridiculous. By the time those games come out the Wii is going to have an absolutely huge lead in Japan.

Nolan.

Narag said:
Word of mouth may be necessary since review scores seemed rather low.

It's a bit of a shame to put so much into securing the game and not at least market it anyway guess it wasn't to be.

SRG01

Ether_Snake said:

At the same time they would be behind the 360 in the US, but not TOO far off, and more than anything they would finally get the rest of the userbase moving to the PS3 rather than letting them sit on their PS2 only.

No way. Unless PS3 rockets upward in sales, it will not be overtaking the Wii anytime soon. Same with the North American market.

Simply put, the 360 has already cemented itself as the North American software-seller system. Look at those Madden numbers. The Japanese market is a whole other ball game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Log4Girlz said:
Hind-sight is 20-20. Yes if they spent 3, 4, 5 times more on R&D than they did they could have had a marginally more successful product than the monstrous Wii. But they did not choose to take that risk fearing a massive bath in red ink. They took a ballsy risk at keeping with the gamecube technology and it paid off handsomely.

This is what irks me, Nintendo proven time and time again that they could make very powerful hardware and sell it at a reasonable price. All indications pointed to Nintendo being very profitable at the outset, at the cost of better hardware. If they had a console that was on par with XBOX 360 and PS3 at the cost of $300 they would have sold much better.

The scariest part, I predicted this way before the Wii was even released. Being the number 1 console works when have the same power as everyone else because mutiplatform games wouldn't be that different with each other, but you have the most exclusives. The lack of power is hurting Nintendo because mutiplatform games are being shared between sony and MS, but not Nintendo. As opposed to being the version that "everyone wants to have" because it is the same as the MS and Sony versions, but with waggle controls.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I already predicted that an underpowered Wii would hurt the console in the long run and it is starting to show.

FFChris

Segata Sanshiro said:
NINTENDO: AMERICA, TRAIN YOUR BRAINS....AGAIN!

AMERICA: UH, THANKS, WE'RE ALL GOOD HERE.

After spending so much time playing the first Brain Training Americans are now smart enough not to go out and go buy the second.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hcoregamer00 said:
That argument about the dev/publisher's fault has a lot of truth to it. After all, when you make a high budget game and market the hell out of it, people will buy it. I saw 10 Bioshock commercials when I was in San Diego last weekend. If the Wii has XBOX 360 caliber games in terms of quality and budget and fails miserably, then I would say the Wii is a lost cause for 3rd party.

As of yet, I haven't seen anything on the Wii from 3rd party that is on the level of quality Microsoft is getting, so that argument hasn't been tested.

That's like saying "Well there's no reason another studio can't beat Disney and Pixar, all they have to do is make Toy Story caliber movies and it's all set!".

They know quite well how difficult it is to make a game for a Nintendo platform if you're not Nintendo or a big name Japanese company. It's not even that easy for Nintendo to begin with, hence they always have to rely on the same names, mainly Zelda/Pokemon/Mario/Metroid/Star Fox.

You know it's true!:p

schuelma

felipeko said:
Anyway.. let me forget this Madden thing and enjoy my last 3 months on GAF...

On topic: Why did PS3 fail? :lol

How long was your bet for? Not a perma I hope?!?

jonabbey said:
And you know this how? The only numbers that anyone ever put forth for the PS3 came from iSuppli, who were pricing components at market prices, not at Sony's cost to manufacture. We know the cost of the Blu-Ray drive has fallen considerably, and Sony is cost reducing the motherboard and such as well.

At some point, Sony has to have the 65nm Cell on their boards, those chips have been prepped for some time from what Digitimes has reported. The RSX should be there as well soon if not now, as they don't have to worry about scaling the EDRAM down with it like Microsoft does with Xenos.

There's too much money for Sony to make on Blu-Ray sales and on PSN sales, Home microtransactions, and retail game discs, for Sony not to be as aggressive as they possibly can in trying to fight for some mind and market share.

They stumbled with the initial pricing, and they've stumbled again in the quality of their marketing, and they've stumbled again with the quality of Lair and (arguably) Heavenly Sword.

They have to understand how the business works and to know that they can't always stumble and expect to survive.

They just have to.

Will Sony also turn around and give $100 checks to people that have already purchased a PS3, particularly the ones after the July price cut?

Haunted

I don't think so. Japan has chosen their console of choice for this generation and that's pretty much it. The picture is pretty clear there.

I just hope that western 3rd party devs look closely at the NPD charts and begin to realise what potential there is with the Wii sales booming as they are.

On another note, I was off over 100k with my predictions. :( Nailed Wii and DS within a 2k difference, but *sigh* fucking highballed PSP and PS2. Shouldn't have had so much faith in the Playstation brand. :( Fucking Sony.

theguy

WickedLaharl said:

Blue Dragon was released at the end of the month so let's wait to see what happens in Sept. I went out and picked up a copy earlier this week (thanks gaffers for the reco) and love the game.

I respect many reviewers out there but it's obvious they rushed through the first half of disc 1 and didn't actually dig into it . BD is original, the production value is high, and the story line keeps me glued to my damn TV for far too long. I'm going to bitch smack anybody who says it's boring. To me, it's exactly what the 360 needed on the RPG front, especially for those new to the genre. Yeah, I'm a fan, so what?

Lobster

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
That's like saying "Well there's no reason another studio can't beat Disney and Pixar, all they have to do is make Toy Story caliber movies and it's all set!".

They know quite well how difficult it is to make a game for a Nintendo platform if you're not Nintendo or a big name Japanese company. It's not even that easy for Nintendo to begin with, hence they always have to rely on the same names, mainly Zelda/Pokemon/Mario/Metroid/Star Fox.

You know it's true!:p

No its not. A shit game can sell well if it is advertised as well as 360 games (Red Steel).

P90

Ether_Snake said:

Without DQ, it will not happen.

GhaleonEB

I go to a half-hour meeting and there's 600 posts in the thread. I get caught up and there's 150 more. :lol

So, um.

Kodiak said:
So what kind of numbers are you expecting? Theres no chance its gonna be as low as Xbox 1.
It's currently behind by ~1m units, and looking ahead, it's going to fall further behind this year. A LOT.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
For comparison, Xbox sold only 146k in August 2003, and that was at the magic price point of $199.

The 360 market is not Xbox redux despite what some keep claiming.
Yeah, this was the month of separation. The 360 has been running close to the Xbox despite the price difference, but I don't see their trends converging again.

Odysseus

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Will Sony also turn around and give $100 checks to people that have already purchased a PS3, particularly the ones after the July price cut?

right after apple sends rebates to those iphone owners, i imagine.

not that i expect ps3 to drop, mind you, but pissing off prior owners should be the least of sony's worries.

Top Bottom