• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Evlar

Banned
Maxwell House said:
3rd party publishers must be getting confused by the continued lackluster Wii 3rd party software sales numbers. It really seems like only Nintendo is making money off of it.

That is a huge thing 360 has going for it: 3rd party software on it sell like crazy.
Not all software. Blue Dragon's faceplant is troubling.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
JudgeN said:
Anyone got Jean D arc numbers?

It's on the PSP, you really don't want to know.

As much as I love that damn thing, people aren't buying any games for it.

The Sphinx said:
Not all software. Blue Dragon's faceplant is troubling.

What is even more troubling is that the Western sales will determine whether they make more games or not. The bad sales in its first month point to no.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Maxwell House said:
3rd party publishers must be getting confused by the continued lackluster Wii 3rd party software sales numbers. It really seems like only Nintendo is making money off of it.

That is a huge thing 360 has going for it: 3rd party software on it sell like crazy.

RE4 RE4 RE4 RE4 RE4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

traveler

Not Wario
Shepherd said:
The PS3 got a 60% bump in July with a $100 price cut.
The 360 got a 63% bump in Aug with a $50 price cut.

So, everyone saying that $50 was stupid and not enough were wrong. Looks like MS knew what it was doing after all.

No, they were wrong, but Bioshock was there to save the day! Why the hell the core isn't at most at the price point of the Wii is something I cannot fathom.

tanod

when is my burrito
Shepherd said:
The PS3 got a 60% bump in July with a $100 price cut.
The 360 got a 63% bump in Aug with a $50 price cut.

So, everyone saying that $50 was stupid and not enough were wrong. Looks like MS knew what it was doing after all.

PS3 got a 100% bump. 5-week 100,000 vs. 4-week 160,000

Threi

notag
traveler said:
Edit: Threi, what were you asking me? :lol

nvm this whole thread is on crack.

I am saying that you can't really say that 3rd parties don't sell on wii hardware when there hasn't been a definitive, heavily advertised game.

Drinky Crow said:
wii for social pseudo-gaming ONLY confirmed. gaf mods, please move all future discussion of wii product to the ot forum.

Wow, having reminiscences of your former greatness, are we ?
That's like, Tyson vs Botha.

Maxwell House said:

Nothing wrong with your latter statement, but Atlus, Capcom and others are clearly making money. Its worth quoting you just for when we have more than a top 20 full of Maddens, Metroid and Bioshock!

traveler

Not Wario
Threi said:
nvm this whole thread is on crack.

I am saying that you can't really say that 3rd parties don't sell on wii hardware when there hasn't been a definitive, heavily advertised game.

Oh, ok. Agreed.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Crisis said:
No they aren't. Lair isn't even that good a game and got a surprise launch. Warhawk released on the 28th of the month, is online only, and retailed for $60 instore which is apparently what that figure is. It's not even taking PSN downloads into account.

Lair was supposed to be a huge budget AAA title, which generally boast big-ass day 1 sales.

FrankT

schuelma said:
RE4 RE4 RE4 RE4 RE4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 title? 1 Title of one of the greatest games ever made, probably doesn't cut the mustard. But hey, if you can keep that kind of thing going maybe.

titiklabingapat said:
Doesn't change the fact that they are....selling/sold well/will sell well...uh...yeah, that's it.

not as well as and not with the legs of 360 software. again wii is outselling 360 2 or 3 to 1 CONSISTANTLY. its not like those buyers dont have good choices in software. zelda, mario, trauma center, EA sports, i mean a NICE WELL ROUNDED SELECTION of titles and what sells? wii sports and wii play. everything else shows up as a blip and fades into bolivian :D 360 has consistantly sold software even tho it sells half as many systems. how can so many people ignore that?

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy: If you're taking requests I'd like to second the motion for Blue Dragon and Jeanne D'Arc sales.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The DS has really picked up steam in the US this year, it'll pass the original X-Box by the end of the year for sure.

Crisis said:
No they aren't. Lair isn't even that good a game and got a surprise launch. Warhawk released on the 28th of the month, is online only, and retailed for $60 instore which is apparently what that figure is. It's not even taking PSN downloads into account.
While I'd bet that Warhawk had by far the bulk of its sales on PSN, and therefore did okay, LAIR looks set to lose a metric fuckton of money. Yes, it's two-and-a-half days of sales, but much like with Metroid Prime 3, I'll bet next month shows that it could be 3 days or a week, and the sales wouldn't look terribly different.

Finally. Caught. Up.

What a ride. What a wild wonderful ride. GAF, you're tops and you teach me new things every day. (I'm on a Mr. Show kick today.)

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I was right in 2005 about the PS3. When ever they scramble their way up, 360 will just drop and knock them back down. I honestly thought they'd hold at around 170 which would have still not been great, but I really didn't see them dropping.

And with Halo ringing in a MASSIVE 360 holiday, there's just no way they'll be able to bounce back in any significant way. As was said way backthread, the only people left buying premium consoles are HARDCORE gamers, and that well is quickly running dry. Sony is not in good shape and when they're big games finally start dropping, it will most likely be too late to turn that big freighter around.

ksamedi

tanod said:
Easily?? No it won't, at all. I think you're smoking crack.

I think it will, the momentum of the Wii is high right now, it will only help software sales even further. Besides, Bioshock was released a week earlier if i remember correctly.

Lobster

Banned
I can't believe all this "Wii Madden bombed!". Dayum..100k in 19 days is a bomb?? EA must be pretty happy their Madden game on a Nintendo console sold 100K!

You should all be saying DS Madden bombed..

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hcoregamer00 said:
I bet Nintendo will learn their lesson like every generation, but when they realize that they will never get PS2 levels of domination because of the lack of power, they will be kicking themselves over and over. The wii will be the number 1 console, the writing is on the wall. The problem is that developers are still shoveling crap on the console because it doesn't have the power and is a means to extend the lives of PS2 games.

The PS2 was popular because it had the best Japanese and Western games, and they are still being announced for the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Even if the Wii is number 1, they could have been number 1 with a massive portion of the marketshare if they actually stayed in the graphics race. Developers wouldn't have to bitch and moan about making graphics on older hardware, and there would have been a "flood" of quality 3rd party games like Bioshock that are graphic powerhouses.

Nintendo cheeping out on graphics will be their Achilles heel, which is unfortunate.

I played in my friends house, with more powerful graphics the game would be even more impressive along with the great art.

It's not that the devs want to make "pretty games", it's the publishers who look at the Wii userbase and say "Well, we have no games in our lineup for those people, so might as well make cheap ports for the few who will buy our games.". And they are right. You can dream all you want about it being the devs/publishers' fault, but the fact is there is no space for third parties on Nintendo's console, except for a very select few, mainly Capcom and Square.

Brak

Zerodoppler said:
So people still aren't buying Wii games. I guess third party developers made the right choice when they decided to stay the hell away. At least for now.
what.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Not surprising though. Perhaps it can be chalked up to the luke warm reviews partially.

We can also argue that the XBOX 360 market is more western oriented, which means games that are very Japanese like Blue Dragon would not sell as well as it should have.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jtyettis said:
1 title? 1 Title of one of the greatest games ever made, probably doesn't cut the mustard. But hey, if you can keep that kind of thing going maybe.

Besides Madden 08 Wii, which BTW wasn't any good by most accounts, what third party game EXPECTED to do well has not done so.

Zzoram

Nolan. said:
Maybe now they'll use the excuse of ''But it wasn't good enough give us FF then you'll see''.

Didn't you see the reviews? It's definitely not good enough. A 7.5 game from an underrepresented genre is not really an indicator of the health of the genre.

If PS3 drops to $399 this year, you know 360 will drop by $50 across the board in response.

I wonder how well a $299 premium 360 would do this Christmas vs a $250 Wii??

Lobster said:
I can't believe all this "Wii Madden bombed!". Dayum..100k in 19 days is a bomb?? EA must be pretty happy their Madden game on a Nintendo console sold 100K!

You should all be saying DS Madden bombed..

What did surprise me was the decisive thumping that the PS3 version gave it. Granted, people buying a PS3 would be more into Madden, but I assumed the userbase for the Wii would balance it out. Still didn't think the Wii would come out on top though.

MobiusPigeon said:
not as well as and not with the legs of 360 software. again wii is outselling 360 2 or 3 to 1 CONSISTANTLY. its not like those buyers dont have good choices in software. zelda, mario, trauma center, EA sports, i mean a NICE WELL ROUNDED SELECTION of titles and what sells? wii sports and wii play. everything else shows up as a blip and fades into bolivian :D 360 has consistantly sold software even tho it sells half as many systems. how can so many people ignore that?

The Wii is 2.5M behind the 360 in userbase in America.

Also, Zelda, Mario Party 8, Metroid, Resident Evil and Super Paper Mario all sold very well, and a NICE WELL ROUNDED SELECTION of titles. That is ina ddition to the already packed in Wii Sports.

sonycowboy said:
And NPD keeps on delivering, no platform breakdowns yet, but some results I'm sure everyone will be interested in.

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

IMO, quite respectable and much better than I expected for LAIR (released early and most folks didn't know it, 2-3 days of sales) and Warhawk about what I expected, given it's online only and the majority of sales came from PSN. ( 4 days of sales)

How do you know that a majority of the sales came from PSN? Did anyone deliver those stats?!?!?

Excellent Bioshock numbers, well-deserved.
Off 12 days of sales, I'd guess next month to be maybe half of this at best, but it'll easily clear a million this year, maybe 2 depending on how big a hit it takes from Halo 3 in the same genre.

Prime sales are great; it took Prime 1 10 days to hit 250k, so that makes this the fastest-selling game in the series (the whole Metroid series as well, I believe). With only 5 days on sale, it should do a higher number on next month's chart, maybe 250-300k. Maybe it can reach a million this year, but I think Mario and Smash might take too big a bite of Christmas sales.

Madden Xbox! What a shock! Madden Wii is weak, I guess, but at least it charted in the top 20, and looks like it cleared 100k. What's the PSP version doing way down there? There are twice as many PSPs as Wiis out there. And no DS version? Did they not even make one?

Wow at Guitar Hero still in 3 spots. GH3 is going to clean up.

And lastly, a big "Wow" for Wii, of course. 3rd parties better get their act together if they want some of that money, because it looks like Nintendo can go it alone at this point and see no negative effects.

Hcoregamer00 said:
We can also argue that the XBOX 360 market is more western oriented, which means games that are very Japanese like Blue Dragon would not sell as well as it should have.
That's probably the primary reason.

Traditional RPG gaming and the 360 fanbase are probably like oil and water respectively.

Wollan

Kodiak said:
Lair was supposed to be a huge budget AAA title, which generally boast big-ass day 1 sales.
The game was scheduled to release September 4th but some stores started selling it on the 30th which is the reason why it's counted. I don't expect it to sell much with those reviews (I was questioning a million in lifetime sales if it received 8's/9's) but 48k sales for 2 days on the market hardly anyone knew about (I didn't know about this before on the 2nd) is quite respectable.

rs7k

HolyStar said:
I doubt that Sony would drop the price by $100 especially since it doesn't have any system sellers this year. But then again because of Halo 3 Sony needs to do something drastic to soften the blow or the PS3 might never rise above above 200k units in America. Also Microsoft could drop the console price to $300 next year when PS3 gets its system movers.

Not only that, but there's the chance even $399 won't increase sales enough to offset the $100 in revenue. I'm pretty sure SOny would rather sell 100k PS3s at $600 than 130k PS3s at $500.

Lobster

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
What did surprise me was the decisive thumping that the PS3 version gave it. Granted, people buying a PS3 would be more into Madden, but I assumed the userbase for the Wii would balance it out. Still didn't think the Wii would come out on top though.

I thought the Wii version would outsell the Ps3 version but i would hardly call the Wii version a bomb. EA sports titles have never sold well on Nintendo consoles..Wii is probably going to change that but I don't think its going to do so for another year. Ps3 version shocked me..

Evlar

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
That's probably the primary reason.

Traditional RPG gaming and the 360 fanbase are probably like oil and water respectively.
And that... that right there... is PS3's last best chance.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Shit, I forgot to call the PSP. Here are my numbers otherwise

Code:
Projected			Actual		Difference
Wii	380,000		403,600		-23,600
PS3	140,000		130,600		9,400
360 	280,000		276,000		4,000
PS2	205,000		202,000		3,000
NDS	400,000		383,300		16,700
GBA	71,000		69,500		1,500

besada

Banned
4vobsj9.jpg

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Finally. Caught. Up.

What a ride. What a wild wonderful ride. GAF, you're tops and you teach me new things every day. (I'm on a Mr. Show kick today.)

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I was right in 2005 about the PS3. When ever they scramble their way up, 360 will just drop and knock them back down. I honestly thought they'd hold at around 170 which would have still not been great, but I really didn't see them dropping.

And with Halo ringing in a MASSIVE 360 holiday, there's just no way they'll be able to bounce back in any significant way. As was said way backthread, the only people left buying premium consoles are HARDCORE gamers, and that well is quickly running dry. Sony is not in good shape and when they're big games finally start dropping, it will most likely be too late to turn that big freighter around.

So what kind of numbers are you expecting? Theres no chance its gonna be as low as Xbox 1.

Top Bottom