• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
traveler said:
They have? Where?

Capcom- RE4. Enough said. Might have an outside shot at a million sold worldwide.

SE- DQS in Japan- will get to 500K.

Ubisoft- Red Steel and Rayman

Activision- no cluse

Wollan

Ether_Snake said:
I can't imagine how awful it will do this holiday compared to the 360/Wii, they have NOTHING for it.
It will be third this season in the US no shock but I believe you will find it the 2nd best seller in both other territories (first Christmas in Europe as well).

Sharp

Drinky Crow said:
200K ninthings bought metroid prime 3? that's a pretty poor turnout, even for the faithful.
Not bad for four days. Information travels slowly through the Wii browser.

traveler said:
I think they're referring to the quality of the lineup, not its sales. Why one would care more about the latter than the former is beyond me.

No, believe me, there are people out there who are convinced that all Wii games, anywhere, without exception, sell badly. Anyway, some have the decency to exclude at least Wii Sports and Wii Play from that definition, but still, this kind of bold statement remains in fact very wrong.

traveler

Not Wario
schuelma said:
Capcom- RE4. Enough said. Might have an outside shot at a million sold worldwide.

SE- DQS in Japan- will get to 500K.

Ubisoft- Red Steel and Rayman

Activision- no cluse

I was talking about quality games, not sales, as I assumed Mobius- the one who was being quoted- was. (Not that RE4 sucks- it's just a port)

Grecco

Zerodoppler said:
So people still aren't buying Wii games. I guess third party developers made the right choice when they decided to stay the hell away. At least for now.

Missed stuff like RE4 last month?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oblivion said:
I've been saying this for months. QFT and all that.

I bet Nintendo will learn their lesson like every generation, but when they realize that they will never get PS2 levels of domination because of the lack of power, they will be kicking themselves over and over. The wii will be the number 1 console, the writing is on the wall. The problem is that developers are still shoveling crap on the console because it doesn't have the power and is a means to extend the lives of PS2 games.

The PS2 was popular because it had the best Japanese and Western games, and they are still being announced for the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Even if the Wii is number 1, they could have been number 1 with a massive portion of the marketshare if they actually stayed in the graphics race. Developers wouldn't have to bitch and moan about making graphics on older hardware, and there would have been a "flood" of quality 3rd party games like Bioshock that are graphic powerhouses.

Nintendo cheeping out on graphics will be their Achilles heel, which is unfortunate.

titiklabingapat said:
Buy MP:3 and tell me that the Wii's prowess sucks ass :p

I played in my friends house, with more powerful graphics the game would be even more impressive along with the great art.

besada said:
How does 50k in sales look good for Lair, one of those games that was going to turn the tide? It's underselling launch titles, yes? For Warhawk, it's impossible to say until Sony mentions some numbers about the PSN. I'd think it's at least half and half, so maybe 100-130K for Warhawk, which IS respectable.

LAIR wasn't supposed to be released during the month. It hit stores on Thursday and stores started selling it and Sony OK'd it apparently So, like 2 1/2 days of sales, with most folks unaware it hit or hadn't picked it up yet.

Neither are great, but given the lowered expectations I've had for both of those games for several months, inline with my expectations.

ksamedi

Drinky Crow said:
200K ninthings bought metroid prime 3? that's a pretty poor turnout for a 'hardcore' game in a well-known fan franchise in its first appearance on a new platform, even among the faithful.

Didn't it only have like 4 days? I think it will easily outsell Bioshock.

3rd party publishers must be getting confused by the continued lackluster Wii 3rd party software sales numbers. It really seems like only Nintendo is making money off of it.

That is a huge thing 360 has going for it: 3rd party software on it sell like crazy.

titiklabingapat said:
Activision can.

And so has Capcom, SE and Ubisoft.

guitar hero suites wii. thats a no brainer. hasnt there only been 1 capcom wii game? ubi was there for launch. all 3 notions STRUCK DOWN. :lol

No_Style

AirBrian said:
I wonder the same thing. Wii Sports, I guess.

Your guess is correct.

First appearance in an NPD thread. I'm surprised at the numbers. Especially PS2 Madden. Damn good numbers considering all that marketing for the X360 version.

jonabbey

besada said:
How does 50k in sales look good for Lair, one of those games that was going to turn the tide? It's underselling launch titles, yes? For Warhawk, it's impossible to say until Sony mentions some numbers about the PSN. I'd think it's at least half and half, so maybe 100-130K for Warhawk, which IS respectable.

Especially considering retail doesn't get a cut of online Warhawk sales.

On the other hand, the Best Buy nearest here has basically all the PS3 game stock thrown into one tiny section of their console retail area, to the point where someone coming in and taking a look would be absolutely crazy to actually pick up a PS3 on that basis.

They sure do have a decent sized Blu-Ray disc area, though..

mr stroke

HomShaBom said:
GIFs aren't banned people.

ok....

the faces of Nintendo right now-
tiesto_guido1.jpg

Threi

notag
traveler said:
I was talking about quality games, not sales, as I assumed Mobius- the one who was being quoted- was. (Not that RE4 sucks- it's just a port)

Well what quality 3rd party games are there (that actually get ANY type of advertising)?

MobiusPigeon said:
guitar hero suites wii. thats a no brainer. hasnt there only been 1 capcom wii game? ubi was there for launch. all 3 notions STRUCK DOWN. :lol
Doesn't change the fact that they are....selling/sold well/will sell well...uh...yeah, that's it.

According to my calculations, the X360 is at 6,230,000 LTD.

It did 2,120,000 September-December last year. If it has the same sales, then that would be a total of 8,350,000 LTD.

The question is - will Halo 3 and the price drop be able to push it to 10,000,000 by the end of the year? That would necessitate a 78% increase in sales over the same period last year.

I don't think it'll come close, but it should end up around 9,200,000 LTD through December.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Opus Angelorum said:
PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K

Not bad at all, but I think the negativity surrounding Lair has all but condemned it.

Err those numbers are ATROCIOUS.

traveler said:
I'd figure sales would be the primary concern when worried about what third parties think of the Wii business.

besada

Banned
sonycowboy said:
LAIR wasn't supposed to be released during the month. It hit stores on Thursday and stores started selling it and Sony OK'd it apparently So, like 2 1/2 days of sales, with most folks unaware it hit or hadn't picked it up yet.

Neither are great, but given the lowered expectations I've had for both of those games for several months, inline with my expectations.

Fair enough. Any idea when we'll find out about Warhawk PSN sales? Any plan in future for NPD to incorporate them or XBL sales for games?

HolyStar

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Ok to those who were saying I was wrong about Japanese games selling PS3s here, here is the deal:

Ratchet, Uncharted, and Killzone won't do shit to bring the PS3 ahead of the 360, they won't move a lot of systems to begin with, that's for sure.

There are currently a LOT of PS2-only owners that have yet to buy a PS3 (like me). Why? Because the games they like have been on PS2 and PSP only, and the ones to come on PS3 are too far from release yet.

To name a few:

Ace Combat
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Grand Turismo
A bunch of random RPGs like Nippon Ichi's, etc.
Some Dynasty Warrior games.
Shadow of the Colossus-like game
And more.

Basically, the PS3 doesn't feel like a successor to the PS2 when you look at its current lineup or its soon-to-be-released games, so a strong part of its hardcore userbase hasn't made the jump to PS3, and as the time passes the 360 is starting to look more and more like the PS2's successor lineup-wise (with many of the above to be released on it, add to this Dead Rising and Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc.).

So yes, if the PS3 had a much more Japan-oriented lineup with former PS2 big-names being released for it now, exclusively in at least a few cases, it would have made a huge difference. The camp would have remained divided as they were last gen, with the MS brand being mostly Western/PC games and the PS brand with mostly Japanese games (then add sports games to both consoles).

Sony made a huge mistake by not trying to keep at least the Japanese exclusives for its console.

I can't imagine how awful it will do this holiday compared to the 360/Wii, they have NOTHING for it.

The PS3 price in Japan still hurts it from ever taking off like the PS2 did. Also many games in Japan are still coming for the PS2. If SquareEnix or Konami decide to port some of their games to the XBox 360 in like a 6 month period after their PS3 counterparts then the 360's sales will triple or quadruple.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
siamesedreamer said:
According to my calculations, the X360 is at 6,230,000 LTD.

It did 2,120,000 September-December last year. If it has the same sales, then that would be a total of 8,350,000 LTD.

The question is - will Halo 3 and the price drop be able to push it to 10,000,000 by the end of the year? That would necessitate a 78% increase in sales over the same period last year.

I don't think it'll come close, but it should end up around 9,200,000 LTD through December.

expect much, much higher than "same"

wii play > metroid prime 3 is dumb too

I agree. Wii Play isn't nearly worth spending an additional $10 on a Wii remote. I wonder if Wii will continue to sell at this rate even if it never gets decent 3rd party games. Honestly, I'm not too confident that Wii sales being through the roof will lead to a library of exceptional games (I don't like wii sports at all).

traveler

Not Wario
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd figure sales would be the primary concern when worried about what third parties think of the Wii business.

Same here, but Mobius was the one being talked to and I thought he was talking about the third party lineup in terms of quality. Having seen his last post, I guess I was wrong.

Edit: Threi, what were you asking me? :lol

Lobster

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
if EA cant do well on wii i dont see anyone else doing well. honestly its not a fault of the developers either. the wii is unique in the way that yeah it has this awesome new control scheme but the hardware holds it back when compared to the other 2. you cant port from ps360 and add waggle and last gen is done with. whats left for them to do if at this point games arent selling? its a risk and all that will lead to is junk. not saying there wont be those who take risks but meh. Nintendo will always do well because it's their baby.

EA isn't doing well on Wii?

Are we all smoking crack in this thread?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
The PS3 got a 60% bump in July with a $100 price cut.
The 360 got a 63% bump in Aug with a $50 price cut.

So, everyone saying that $50 was stupid and not enough were wrong. Looks like MS knew what it was doing after all.

Crisis

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Err those numbers are ATROCIOUS.

No they aren't. Lair isn't even that good a game and got a surprise launch. Warhawk released on the 28th of the month, is online only, and retailed for $60 instore which is apparently what that figure is. It's not even taking PSN downloads into account.

FrankT

neptunes said:
do you know how much and which titles specififcally?

all I know is

DOA4
OBLIVION
KAMEO?

:lol

Don't know all the titles off hand, but like someone already mentioned it's well over 20 worldwide. You can start with this month Madden 08.

Top Bottom