• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Lobster

Banned
schuelma said:
Besides Madden 08 Wii, which BTW wasn't any good by most accounts, what third party game EXPECTED to do well has not done so.

Boogie has been a bomb. I really thought what would sell.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crisis said:
No they aren't. Lair isn't even that good a game and got a surprise launch. Warhawk released on the 28th of the month, is online only, and retailed for $60 instore which is apparently what that figure is. It's not even taking PSN downloads into account.

Excuses/reasons don't mean squat when a console isn't selling. So much for Sony focusing on their own "exclusives" when they can't move consoles (let alone software). Those games are not selling PS3s and hence such low sales are atrocious.

EktorPR

It's impossible to keep up with this thread. Anyway...

GREAT WII/DS sales!!! And I gotta' congratulate the 360 and its incredible AAA offerings, BioShock being king among them. I'm getting one...oh yes. :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ether_Snake said:
It's not that the devs want to make "pretty games", it's the publishers who look at the Wii userbase and say "Well, we have no games in our lineup for those people, so might as well make cheap ports for the few who will buy our games.". And they are right. You can dream all you want about it being the devs/publishers' fault, but the fact is there is no space for third parties on Nintendo's console, except for a very select few, mainly Capcom and Square.

That argument about the dev/publisher's fault has a lot of truth to it. After all, when you make a high budget game and market the hell out of it, people will buy it. I saw 10 Bioshock commercials when I was in San Diego last weekend. If the Wii has XBOX 360 caliber games in terms of quality and budget and fails miserably, then I would say the Wii is a lost cause for 3rd party.

As of yet, I haven't seen anything on the Wii from 3rd party that is on the level of quality Microsoft is getting, so that argument hasn't been tested.

Zozz

Banned
Are Bioshock numbers for both 360 and PC??

I'm sure it's for 360 only but I want someone to clear this up.

Branduil

Hcoregamer00 said:
I bet Nintendo will learn their lesson like every generation, but when they realize that they will never get PS2 levels of domination because of the lack of power, they will be kicking themselves over and over. The wii will be the number 1 console, the writing is on the wall. The problem is that developers are still shoveling crap on the console because it doesn't have the power and is a means to extend the lives of PS2 games.

The PS2 was popular because it had the best Japanese and Western games, and they are still being announced for the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Even if the Wii is number 1, they could have been number 1 with a massive portion of the marketshare if they actually stayed in the graphics race. Developers wouldn't have to bitch and moan about making graphics on older hardware, and there would have been a "flood" of quality 3rd party games like Bioshock that are graphic powerhouses.

Nintendo cheeping out on graphics will be their Achilles heel, which is unfortunate.
I can agree with that. I have no personal problem with the graphics, but I think it's unfortunate that it's relative lack of power makes it difficult if not impossible for third-party developers to port their best games to it.

Nolan.

Zzoram said:
Didn't you see the reviews? It's definitely not good enough. A 7.5 game from an underrepresented genre is not really an indicator of the health of the genre.

If points had any justice Two worlds would never be there or tenchu z before it. Last gen a lot of xbox owners complained ''well if you gave us some maybe we'd buy it''. So now what 360 owners play elite jrpg's.? It just wasn't ''grown up'' enough thats all.

Draft

Segata Sanshiro said:
While I'd bet that Warhawk had by far the bulk of its sales on PSN, and therefore did okay, LAIR looks set to lose a metric fuckton of money. Yes, it's two-and-a-half days of sales, but much like with Metroid Prime 3, I'll bet next month shows that it could be 3 days or a week, and the sales wouldn't look terribly different.
I'd be shocked and DELIGHTED if Warhawk did the majority of its sales via PSN, but I doubt that very much.

jonabbey

BenjaminBirdie said:
Finally. Caught. Up.

What a ride. What a wild wonderful ride. GAF, you're tops and you teach me new things every day. (I'm on a Mr. Show kick today.)

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I was right in 2005 about the PS3. When ever they scramble their way up, 360 will just drop and knock them back down. I honestly thought they'd hold at around 170 which would have still not been great, but I really didn't see them dropping.

And with Halo ringing in a MASSIVE 360 holiday, there's just no way they'll be able to bounce back in any significant way. As was said way backthread, the only people left buying premium consoles are HARDCORE gamers, and that well is quickly running dry. Sony is not in good shape and when they're big games finally start dropping, it will most likely be too late to turn that big freighter around.

I think Sony's best hope at this point is to reinforce Blu-Ray by getting non-PS3 Blu-Ray players out at less than $300, get the PS3 down to $399, and maybe, I don't know, advertise the damn console. Try to get a really big stink going for Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, UT3 and especially Little Big Planet, just as soon as they can.

I think Little Big Planet has more Wii-like potential than anything else Sony has ever shown on PS3, and they'll need to hit it hard.

But, honestly, with Lair getting the reviews it has, and Heavenly Sword being such a short, disappointing game from most reports, I don't know what the fuck Sony is about. They have to know that they will never have a more critical time for their game business than right fucking now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Sphinx said:
Not all software. Blue Dragon's faceplant is troubling.

Like I said before: Japanese-game fans are still on the PS2/PSP and DS. If Sony had focussed a LOT more on getting good exclusive Japanese games for its console it would have helped.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That argument about the dev/publisher's fault has a lot of truth to it. After all, when you make a high budget game and market the hell out of it, people will buy it. I saw 10 Bioshock commercials when I was in San Diego last weekend. If the Wii has XBOX 360 caliber games in terms of quality and budget and fails miserably, then I would say the Wii is a lost cause for 3rd party.

As of yet, I haven't seen anything on the Wii from 3rd party that is on the level of quality Microsoft is getting, so that argument hasn't been tested.
Exactly.

Call me when a $20M game gets a $20M marketing budget hits the Wii and only does 100k.

DeaconKnowledge said:
What did surprise me was the decisive thumping that the PS3 version gave it. Granted, people buying a PS3 would be more into Madden, but I assumed the userbase for the Wii would balance it out. Still didn't think the Wii would come out on top though.
Yea, I can't believe that many people settled for 30fps.

Kodiak said:
So what kind of numbers are you expecting? Theres no chance its gonna be as low as Xbox 1.

*shrugs*

Okay. I have no idea. But it's pretty much over for them when it comes to preferential multiplatform treatment and it's going to be hard for their exclusives to perform on the level that the 360's do.

Log4Girlz

Hcoregamer00 said:
I bet Nintendo will learn their lesson like every generation, but when they realize that they will never get PS2 levels of domination because of the lack of power, they will be kicking themselves over and over. The wii will be the number 1 console, the writing is on the wall. The problem is that developers are still shoveling crap on the console because it doesn't have the power and is a means to extend the lives of PS2 games.

The PS2 was popular because it had the best Japanese and Western games, and they are still being announced for the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Even if the Wii is number 1, they could have been number 1 with a massive portion of the marketshare if they actually stayed in the graphics race. Developers wouldn't have to bitch and moan about making graphics on older hardware, and there would have been a "flood" of quality 3rd party games like Bioshock that are graphic powerhouses.

Nintendo cheeping out on graphics will be their Achilles heel, which is unfortunate.

I played in my friends house, with more powerful graphics the game would be even more impressive along with the great art.

Hind-sight is 20-20. Yes if they spent 3, 4, 5 times more on R&D than they did they could have had a marginally more successful product than the monstrous Wii. But they did not choose to take that risk fearing a massive bath in red ink. They took a ballsy risk at keeping with the gamecube technology and it paid off handsomely.

Seth C

Hcoregamer00 said:
We can also argue that the XBOX 360 market is more western oriented, which means games that are very Japanese like Blue Dragon would not sell as well as it should have.

Or we played the demo and fell asleep. Seriously, I was looking forward to the game but that demo killed it for me.

mildewproduction said:
iphone%20and%20jobs.jpg

I get your point, but still couldn't resist.
The Iphone costs way less to manufacture than the PS3 though, so the scenarios aren't the same at all. Apple isn't losing money on each Iphone sold at $399, while Sony would be losing a massive amount of money on each PS3 sold at $399.

Shepherd said:
The PS3 got a 60% bump in July with a $100 price cut.
The 360 got a 63% bump in Aug with a $50 price cut.

So, everyone saying that $50 was stupid and not enough were wrong. Looks like MS knew what it was doing after all.

You forgot MS had a GOTY candidate in there but yeah. Great month. Halo will only boost from here.

edit: beaten badly
Us juniors is so slow...

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Again, many thanks to NPD. They are listening.

Blue Dragon = 53.6K
Wow, thanks. That has implications I think. For Mistwalker of course, but also for Japanese devs in general.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Nolan. said:
Wow even worse than it's Japanese debut.

Thanks sonycowboy.
NPD Coverage: August 5 - September 1
Blue Dragon Release Date: August 28th

I still believe it will hit its 200K.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
aww, crappy Metroid sales. :(

Someone out there just greenlighed another party game, and cancel Project HAMMER.

Decent Strikers numbers though.

Adam Blade said:
Blue Dragon had only been out for a couple days. Seriously people.
I absolutely, positively GUARANTEE Blue Dragon is a massive bomb, sales-wise.

edit: lol, but it did better than LAIR. Wonder how their respective budgets match up?

etiolate

Banned
If Boogie bombed, then that is a bigger deal than the Madden sales.

edit: Actually checking reviews it seems Boogie was a shitty game. =|

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
besada said:
What if no one but Nintendo ever has that much faith in the sales?

From what I seen, only Nintendo has enough faith in the sales of the Wii because they are the only ones pumping out $20 million dollar games with $20 million dollar marketing budgets. It paid off handsomely because their games sell.

Top Bottom