• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

RJT

NeoUltima said:
GAF overestimating current gen consoles too much? Seems like it.

I personally am very surprised at the lowish Wii sales. I figured Nintendo would ramp production up to astronomical levels, at least for a short time.
You can't ramp production up to astronomical levels for a short time. If you ramp up, you have to keep it up, or else you'll lose a LOT of money.

mood

sonycowboy said:
Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units.

I fear for Ratchet.

TJ Spyke

NeoUltima said:
Compared to what they were predicted to sell, yes the numbers are somewhat disappointing.

Barack Obama was predicted to beat Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire. :lol

Predictions can be (and frequently are) wrong. I learned long ago not to expect something to sell a certain amount since it's not a gurantee. Those who were precting higher (likely for our monthly prediction) may be dissapointed, but neither Xbox 360 nor Wii had low sales numbers. PS3 seems pretty low though, both hardware and software wise.

legend166

Ok, so worldwide Wii sales for December:

US = 1.35 million
Canada = Let's say 9% of the US? So 120k, or there abouts?

North American Total = 1.47 million

Japan = 744k

Other = Would 900k be about right? Let's just say it is.

Total Estimate: 3.11 million Wiis sold WW in December

That's pretty crazy. They were definately stockpiling.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
_leech_ said:
One game is above average, the other is a shitty port. I, for one, like it when good games sell well and bad games do badly. It's the way it should be.

The apparent bad port job is a sad state of affairs, since PS3 only owners are missing out on one great package and value.

Mrbob said:
This is what I've said, but I kept on getting beat over the head by others who say peepz don't know who develops a game.

I disagree, based on these sales.

CoD5 will bomb comparatively.
People know the difference between quality and not. Also the beta obviously helped.

Nolan.

sonycowboy said:
Sony's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) also smashed expectations, selling 206,000 units, well ahead of the market's expectation of 139,900 units.

Wooooo go uncharted!.

sonycowboy said:

I guess you can say thats good, personally as the PS3's biggest holiday game, kinda disappointing.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Effing w00t. I just made a killing on Uncharted on the TSX. In honor of this, I suggest we change the name of the game to Justchartedenough.

Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks, so they sold over 400,000 in one week?

i'm quoting you, but you're not the only one. GAF scores a 0 on reading.

1.2 million from november 23rd to december 31st. so its 800k in the npd.

that leaves us with 400k for the period of 11/23 to the start of december npd minus the days that the december npd counts in january.

BUT YOU GUYS FORGOT ABOUT CANADA, ITS NORTH AMERICA, NOT USA IN SONY'S PR.

if they represent 10% of the market it's not unreasonable to think that sony sold 300k on the black friday week plus a couple of days before december npd.

what i really question is PS2.

1.3 million in sony's PR right? and then 1.1 in december NPD? so it sold like nothing on black friday?

kassatsu

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Just pack this game in already sony.

RBH

sonycowboy said:
Not bad.

I lowballed Uncharted too though in my software predictions. :/

mysticstylez said:
That doesn't mean shit if the 360 maintains it's software sales. The 360 is a software selling juggernaut, especially for 3rd parties.
Any Wii owner who isn't "Hardcore" will probably own about >10 titles through its whole lifetime, that wouldn't be a far fetch statement. but to say it doesn't matter at all is ridiculous.

fernoca

dr3upmushroom said:
Already pointed out, (Haven't done the math) but I think that CoD would still surpass it if you added those SKUs up.
2.4 (Diamond) + 1.4 (Pearl) = 3.8 (Combined) > 3.0 (CoD4)

Mrbob

chespace said:
No man, I really do think people are just sick to death of WWII shooters.

C'mon, Saving Private Ryan was 10 years ago.

I suppose this is true as well.

I wonder if Activision will still go through with the WW2 setting for CoD5 after seeing these CoD4 sales. CoD3 sold what, 700k in Nov/Dec for X360 last year? People have spoken, and they don't want to go back to WW2 for this franchise.

harSon

Banned
sonycowboy said:

I wouldn't use the phrase 'smashed expectations' but it's certainly a pleasant surprise. Deserves a lot better, I'd imagine the budget behind the game was quite hefty.

SonyCowboy do you have Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3) sales?

Chris FOM

The December sales results are in, and they’re impressive to say the least. There were some enormous numbers during December, so let’s take a look at them. NPD’s December is a five week month covering the time period from Sunday, December 2nd through Saturday, January 5th. November was only a four week month, so to directly compare you need to either multiply November by 1.25, December by 0.8, or just compare weekly averages. As a reminder, here are November’s numbers:

DS: 1,530,000 (382,500)
Wii: 981,000 (245,250)
360: 770,000 (192,500)
PSP: 567,000 (141,650)
PS2: 496,000 (124,000)
PS3: 466,000 (116,500)

Now let’s look at the results.

DS: 2,470,000 (494,000) Astonishing. It’s not the biggest December ever (that goes to the PS2 in 2002), but that is a lot of DS’s sold. Nintendo sold an average of just shy of half a million DS Lites per week for five straight weeks. There’s simply not a lot that can be said beyond this fact. Brain Age 2 (an August title) even managed to slip into the top 10. And given that the DS again passed without a significant new release, the lack of other software in the top 10 is unsurprising. Don’t be fooled, this machine is moving software extremely well, even if it hovers below the visible threshold.

Wii: 1,350,000 (270,000) This is pretty much a very strong number, but not a lot more than that. Don’t get me wrong, 1.35 million consoles in a month is better than the GameCube or either Xbox ever did, but there could have been so many more had Nintendo shipped more systems. They managed to raise shipments over November even on a weekly average, but obviously the numbers wasn’t nearly high enough. Of course, they also had to supply Japan (where they sold nearly a million systems over roughly the same time frame) and Europe (numbers unknown), so they still moved an enormous number of Wiis worldwide. However, if demand remains high even their current level of 1.8 million systems per month will be grossly inadequate. Finally, this number confirms that Nitnendo was stockpiling systems. Between the US and Japan alone they sold 2.3 million Wiis in December, and Europe will undoubtedly push that number past 3 million. With a production rate of 1.8 million per month, a stockpile is now undeniable.

360: 1,260,000 (252,000) Solid, but not spectacular. In a month where the shortage of Wiis would be felt more than ever Microsoft had a chance to really capitalize on the shortfalls and prolong the day that the Wii passes the 360 in installed base here in the US (it happened worldwide back in late July/early August), but the gap narrowed further. Not by much (less than 100,000 systems), but it narrowed. Interestingly, there were also anecdotal reports that MS even took a page from Nintendo’s book and suffered some shortages of their own. Although whereas Nintendo simply can’t make enough Wiis period, MS mishandled their SKUs and overloaded the market with undesired Arcade and Halo systems while understocking the more-desired Premiums and Elites. If true, that’s a big oops and may well have cost them the lead in December. Keeping all that in mind, however, this is still the best month the Xbox brand has ever seen. They set a record last December with 1.1 million units and broke that record this year by nearly 15%. If you accept that the Wii is the PS2 of this generation and its sales are untouchable, then it’s clear that MS is certainly expanding on what the first Xbox did, and have found themselves a very healthy corner of the market here in the US even if they’re not truly challenging for market dominance. If sales return to anywhere near what it was for most of 2007, the Wii will pass the 360’s installed base some time in 2008.

PS2: 1,100,000 (220,000) Another December has come and gone, and the PS2 again sold over a million units. It also saw by far the largest sales increase of the systems compared to November. I’m otherwise out of things to say about this system. It’s a legend, it’s the best-selling console in history (at least until the Ds takes that crown, which it likely will), and it continues to sell far after it should have been dead and buried.

PSP: 1,060,000 (212,000) The PSP again saw decent hardware sales, but we’re left to assume that software sales are in the gutter. At this point it’s safe to wonder if the PSP is really competing against the DS or if its ability to play games is simply part of a wider appeal that also revolves around its many media player capabilities. And of course there’s always the rate of software piracy to be considered. There are obviously no hard numbers available, but the PSP is likely one of the most pirated systems out there.

PS3: 797,600 (159,520) Ouch. Nobody expected a million. The PS3 had a price cut at the beginning of November and therefore saw a surge in sales beyond what you’d normally see, so more than doubling their sales was out of the question, but they only grew sales by a little over 70% compared to November. Clearly the price cut didn’t help move sales to a sustainable higher level. Without the stellar sales of the DS nor the supply shortages of the Wii, and when the PS3 really can’t afford to continue losing ground, to not even break 800,000 units in December is pretty grim. For comparison, the Wii broke 800,000 in November, and the 360 wasn’t that far off. There’s not a lot here to like for the PS3.

Finally, a few notes about software. Call of Duty 4 continued to perform spectacularly, taking the top spot for the second month in a row. Mario Galaxy was number 2 again, but actually raised its sales by nearly 300,000 over November, while COD4 slipped 100,000. Expect Galaxy to continue to show legs over the rest of the Wii’s lifespan. Assassin’s Creed also had a great second month. The 360 version of Guitar Hero 3 returned to the top 10 after going missing in November, while the Wii version disappeared. Halo 3 continued to show an attach rate of better than 50%. Mario and Sonic gives the Wii its first million-selling third party title in the US alone (despite Mario’s presence, it’s a Sega game). The PS2 also made its presence known with the return of Madden 08 and the continued presence of GH 3 (the best-selling version of the game by far).

I think that about wraps things up for this month. I might be back later with some quick thoughts on the full-year numbers provided by NPD.

tjhooker

Banned
squatingyeti said:
So, on the year, Sony gained maybe 400k? They ought to catch up by 2020.

1. You assume PS3 has been outselling 360 worldwide since only December of last year.

2. You assume that the amount PS3 will outsell 360 worldwide each month will not widen.

Both assumptions are incorrect.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GhaleonEB said:
The hard numbers are new, thanks. HD-DVD drive not exactly bringing the house down, though it is a pricey add-on.
We got the HD-DVD add-on numbers in a previous month so it wasn't a surprise that it has a low attach rate.

Talamius

mysticstylez said:
That doesn't mean shit if the 360 maintains it's software sales. The 360 is a software selling juggernaut, especially for 3rd parties.

That's true for 3rd parties. However, the Nintendo software publishing juggernaut is so huge now it's going to get by largely on it's own, with 3rd party titles here and there.

As insane as it sounds, Nintendo's momentum is such that they barely need 3rd party support, if at all.

Finn

legend166 said:
Ok, so worldwide Wii sales for December:

US = 1.35 million
Canada = Let's say 9% of the US? So 120k, or there abouts?

North American Total = 1.47 million

Japan = 744k

Other = Would 900k be about right? Let's just say it is.

Total Estimate: 3.11 million Wiis sold WW in December

That's pretty crazy. They were definately stockpiling.
Disappointing. Wii should have sold in the vicinity of Infinity-Billion units in December. You know, even though Nintendo can't manufacture them that fast, but they still should have. Utter disappointment. Did I mention this is disappointing.

Good software numbers.

And yea, Wii HW? Disappointing.

That was sarcasm for all the, "1.35 million in december in NA? Disappointing!" people roaming around. It's not disappointing, it's pretty damn impressive. Especially considering had there been more to sell, they would have.

Snah said:
Looking at it in terms of revenue, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

Pretty impressive bullshit

Revenue is meaningless. How about you compare profit made from console sales. The wii made about $20 million in profit to 0$ profit for PS3. Luckily Sony has PS2 sales which probably earned more total profit than wii.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks, so they sold over 400,000 in one week?
If you read down that thread some believe the numbers are sold to customers because PR implies as such and non-believers are just Sony haters. near the end we get a couple of indications that they are sold to retail but no explanation as to why PR was using the term "sold through".

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Jan. 6 --
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced PlayStation(R) hardware retail sales reached more than 3.9 million units in North America during the critical holiday sales window (Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007). This accounts for SCEA's three systems currently in the market PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)), PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation(R)2 (PS2). PS3 retail sales reached 1.2 million hardware units during this holiday timeframe.

"The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies. Consumers are clearly responding to the expanding multimedia capabilities and a great line-up of over 200 games."

Sales of PSP reached 1.4 million units during this same timeframe. The success of the recently introduced Daxter(TM) PSP(R) Entertainment Pack and Star Wars Battlefront(R) PSP Entertainment Pack have continued to swell the PSP install base. Upcoming platform defining software such as God of War(R): Chains of Olympus and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core will further increase PSP momentum in 2008.

PS2 sales exceeded 1.3 million units during its eighth holiday season. The industry's most successful platform is poised for another great year in 2008 with the continued success of the critically-acclaimed Buzz(TM) and SingStar(R) franchises.

Is Uncharted the highest selling Sony exclusive for December? That would be pretty disappointing if it was, but I can't think of anything else that could be higher.

Meier

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow at the charts, Wii is almost at the same number as the 360 in America, 360's biggest market.

Already pointed out, (Haven't done the math) but I think that CoD would still surpass it if you added those SKUs up.

Umm.. so you think COD4 sold 4.5 million units or so? Or are you suggesting you add every platform for COD4 in which case, why would you do that? If you added platforms together, GH3 or Madden certainly would be #1.

harSon

Banned
tjhooker said:
1. You assume PS3 has been outselling 360 worldwide since only December of last year.

2. You assume that the amount PS3 will outsell 360 worldwide each month will not widen.

Both assumptions are incorrect.

:lol

You and Snah should embrace each other.

Talamius said:
That's true for 3rd parties. However, the Nintendo software publishing juggernaut is so huge now it's going to get by largely on it's own, with 3rd party titles here and there.

As insane as it sounds, Nintendo's momentum is such that they barely need 3rd party support, if at all.

And the momentum of MS's 3rd party sales is such that they barely need 1st party support if at all, except for Halo.

farnham said:
so the wii managed to stay on top despite shortages.. boring

Yeah but with potentially it's "biggest title of '07", it still couldn't take top spot on the software charts.

With the install base that the Wii has, one might think it would have walked all over the software sales charts.

Perhaps it's helping to create an argument that companies that include a game with the console bundle end up having lower attachment rates?

fernoca said:
2.4 (Diamond) + 1.4 (Pearl) = 3.8 (Combined) > 3.0 (CoD4) <360 only.
The PS3 version alone is hovering over half a mi by now and I think the PC version did something like 250K

Edit: Sorry, I get what you guys are saying now. I was just adding all the CoD4 sKUs together.

Top Bottom